Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coples vs DeCastro.....and Eric Winston

Veteran
    I look at it this way. They brought in an OC who runs a simpler blocking scheme than the previous one. Perhaps a scheme that fits their players better. This is equivalent to drafting a 1st round O line prospect in my eyes. Then they strengthened the rest of the team as they saw fit. We needed a pass rush and they supposedly got a freak.

I think hedged their bets that the poor pass protection was mostly due to Schotty's crazy scheme rather than their players.

Our OL could be much better by guys just playing better, this was the same unit that was really good in 2010. Brick can play like a elite LT, that will help big time. Moore can play like a top tier RG, which would help big time. Hunter can get more consistent, which would help. Mangold staying healthy will help.

We needed to take a pass rusher period, the Jets felt like Coples was the guy so we'll see.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Many mocks had DeCastro off their boards when we picked. There is a huge difference between taking a once a decade player vs a kicker in the second round.
    ... while that is true ... it is also true that 22 other team passed on the "once in a decade" player that you are so high on ... let me ask you a ? ... why is that? ... why did nobody pick him before the steelers? ...

... while he is a "once in a decade" to you ... obviously 23 teams felt there were better selections above him otherwise he'd have been chosen before pitt ...

I hope Coples works out, I really do. Let me ask all the people supporting the pick what their expectations are for Wilk and Coples. Are people expecting 10 sack seasons?
    ... my answer is no ...

... what i am expecting is for both of them to hold the point of attack ... as wilk did last season in the 3-4 ... i'm expecting both of them to open up holes to let pace and thomas get some improved sack #'s ... as well as harris and scott to get some improved tackle totals ...

... for those plays in the 4-3 with both devito and pouha manning the middle i will increase the sack numbers i expect to see from both of the youngsters ... however unless i see more 4-3 on the field than 3-4 though i am not going to hold those players accountable to numbers that may not be relevant to the roles they will be playing in our defense ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-07-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    If we had drafted DeCastro, no doubt in my mind that people would have been on here saying that the Jets didn't need an OG, that our biggest need was at OT and that it was a wasted pick. I'm sure of it.

Coples was a good pick IMO. The Giants have shown us how to beat the pats. Coples is a step in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Our OL could be much better by guys just playing better, this was the same unit that was really good in 2010. Brick can play like a elite LT, that will help big time. Moore can play like a top tier RG, which would help big time. Hunter can get more consistent, which would help. Mangold staying healthy will help.

We needed to take a pass rusher period, the Jets felt like Coples was the guy so we'll see.
    Only two sure things on Jets Oline is Dbrick and mangold(that two key pieces at premier positions on oline that any team would like to have) I think Stephon Heyer will nail down a starting position at one of the guard position. ( that will be one of the best signing Tannebaum has make this offseason on the oline as he fits Sparano system perfect) Brandon Moore/Slauson and Hunter are the question marks. (not to mention the depth on the oline is pretty thin)

As a GM you would hope you would have more options on the oline than to hope those players play better. What do you do if those players don't improve. Wait for 2013 to draft a Olineman, or get one in free agency. Jets should be looking to bring in more competition at those positions. Never can hurt having as much competition for a position as possible.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-07-2012 at 09:53 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... while that is true ... it is also true that 22 other team passed on the "once in a decade" player that you are so high on ... let me ask you a ? ... why is that? ... why did nobody pick him before the steelers? ...

... while he is a "once in a decade" to you ... obviously 23 teams felt there were better selections above him otherwise he'd have been chosen before pitt ...

... my answer is no ...

... what i am expecting is for both of them to hold the point of attack ... as wilk did last season in the 3-4 ... i'm expecting both of them to open up holes to let pace and thomas get some improved sack #'s ... as well as harris and scott to get some improved tackle totals ...

... for those plays in the 4-3 with both devito and pouha manning the middle i will increase the sack numbers i expect to see from both of the youngsters ... however unless i see more 4-3 on the field than 3-4 though i am not going to hold those players accountable to numbers that may not be relavant to the roles they will be playing in our defense ...

l_j_r
    Don't forget to rotate in Ellis, Dixon, and MTV at that tackle spot, and put a 255lb Maybin, and Sapp, on the other side. We have some horses for a 4,3/46

All Pro
    This has to be the 1st time I ever heard a Guard referred to as a Once in a Generation Player.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    This has to be the 1st time I ever heard a Guard referred to as a Once in a Generation Player.
    Didn't they say the same about Tony Mandarich? At the time, he was touted as the best OL prospect EVER. Colossal bust. And the three players drafted immediately after him: Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, may he rest in peace, and Deion Sanders. Ouch.

Honorable mention to Robert Gallery, who was supposed to be the best OL prospect "in years" (meaning since Mandarich) only he was supposed to be a tackle but they moved him to guard because he was ho-ren-dus. The next 3 picks after Gallery? The Raiduhs passed on Larry Fitzgerald, drafted 3rd, Phillip Rivers, 4th, (if they had drafted him, they never would have blown it later with JaMarcus Fatso) and Sean Taylor, 5th, may he also rest in peace.

There is no position immune from early 1st round bust potential.
    Last edited by Dcat; 07-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I wanted Decastro, was pissed on draft day. But I've accepted that we have Coples, he's got huge upside. Jets went for the home run instead of the definite double, let's hope he achieves his potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    DeCastro was arguably the safest pick in this years draft class. The Steelers basically have Faneca-light for the next 10-12 years.

Still, I'm a huge fan on the Coples pick. Just 9 months ago everyone projected him as a Top 3 selection and many considered him the best player in the draft after Andrew Luck. If it wasn't for his inconsistent senior year and the concerns over his motor, there's no way in hell he would've made it to #16. In all likelihood he would've been a Brown or a Jaguar right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    1. That is not even close to being true
    3. Shocking

C'mon guys.

C'mon what?

How do you know how good Coples will or will not be?

Why is it unrealistic to debate that Coples could be the best defensive talent in the draft?

Why do you have to jump in every thread with your Dick Tracy homer police badge and pretend you know better than others on the board that dare to suggest the Jets have something good?
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Are you talking about when you were being a xenophobic b*tch?

Barron? Brockers? fcking Gilmore? Ya OK, we're done. Like i said. If i thought you had any ability to assess talent, I might be offended (if it wasn't you)
    LOL

DDNY, is making all kinds of new friends...

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Again, I'm not arguing about Coples being a good pick. But I think picking up DeCastro and Winston improves every aspect of our offense. Mark has more time, WR's have more time, our RB's get bigger holes to run thru and we don't have to keep extra people in to block.

I'm not arguing Coples vs DeCastro, it's Coples vs DeCastro PLUS Winston. It also would have allowed us to deal with Moore early and with the best possible replacement in a decade, plus get rid of Hunter.
    Both Great arguments and the arguments we should be having. We build this ship to win on the lines, both lines. If 1 is weak, we are weak. Defense wins championships and I would make sure the d can stand strong first. But, like both of the thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

C'mon what?

How do you know how good Coples will or will not be?

Why is it unrealistic to debate that Coples could be the best defensive talent in the draft?

Why do you have to jump in every thread with your Dick Tracy homer police badge and pretend you know better than others on the board that dare to suggest the Jets have something good?
    Agreed. His argument falls short of a reasonable platform/landing spot, then he appeals with a "c'mon" to sway us. That's it??

For the record I think Coples was the right pick. A guard is still a guard and Coples has the talent to be elite

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I don't buy this logic. First off the Ravens and 49ers without bad luck are in the SB last season, the Patriots only won 1 game vs a team over .500 last season. The Packers went 1 and done.

The Giants defense played like a elite unit in the playoffs, both times they won the SB their defense stepped up big time.

The season before, the Steelers and Packers had the 2 best defenses in football. When the Saints won they had weak defenses, but the Saints were good at creating turnovers at least, their defense made plays.
    This is why rex picked Coples! He knows what the blue guys that share our stadium have done to the Pats and he wants to do it too!

All Pro

beast O-line

would of been a beast OL if we drafted Decastro and signed Winston

LT - Ferguson
    LG - Decastro
    C - Mangold
    RG - Moore
    RT - Winston

damn

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I wanted Decastro, was pissed on draft day. But I've accepted that we have Coples, he's got huge upside. Jets went for the home run instead of the definite double, let's hope he achieves his potential.
    Exactly Coples turns out to be a top DE in this league and that is a much more important position than guard. (much easier position to fill)

Only way Jets have regrets is coples turns out to be the second coming of Vernon Gholston. Jets had to roll the dice on greatness. Coples turns out to be as good as rex believes he can be, what kind of Jet defense are we talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    would of been a beast OL if we drafted Decastro and signed Winston

LT - Ferguson
    LG - Decastro
    C - Mangold
    RG - Moore
    RT - Winston

damn
    I admit that line has BEAST on every helmet