Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Has Philip Rivers peaked?

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I think that part of the label depends on what team you're on.

That's a pretty good analogy, except for the fact that Rivers is a bit tougher than McNabb. I mean, the guy plays with pain (Rivers), and McNabb was injured/hurt so often. But in terms of accomplishments, I think it's pretty close. McNabb was in the Championship game a bunch of times and the Superbowl once, but overall, yes, very close.
    Rivers blows McNabb out of the water statistically, though. McNabb never once threw for 4,000 yards. Rivers hasn't thrown for less than that since 2007. I'd say overall Rivers is much better. I mean, Rivers' "down" year last year included 4600 yards and a 62.9% comp. The only thing that truly sucked about Rivers last year were his 20 INTs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I mean, Rivers' "down" year last year included 4600 yards and a 62.9% comp. The only thing that truly sucked about Rivers last year were his 20 INTs.
    Jets fans would blow loads in their shorts if Sanchez was able to equal Rivers "down year" of 63% completion percentage, 4,600 yards and 20 INT's

Factor into Sanchez's 8 lost fumbles on 18 INT's, 20 tunovers would be a significant improvement.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Not really it's a Trophy or nothing anyhow, anyway.

Rivers was terrible last year, though he has historically been a fine deep passer. V-Jax quit on a few deep balls from him last year.

I'm happy we got Sanchez. Expecting big things from him this season in Sparano's O

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Rivers was terrible last year, though he has historically been a fine deep passer. V-Jax quit on a few deep balls from him last year.

I'm happy we got Sanchez. Expecting big things from him this season in Sparano's O
    The key is the running game. In Sanchez's first two seasons, with a strong running game he got us to the AFC Title game. We need a strong season from the running game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    The name of this thread should been "Have the Chargers peaked?". The answer is yes.

Rivers is not the problem.
    Course not.

Picks, fumbles, and botched snaps are only on the QB when Sanchez does them.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Rivers on the Jets in '09 and '10...2 Lombardi's

Rivers on the Jets in '09 + '10 = no AFCCGs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    We'll never know, but I do agree that Rivers has been a pretty mediocre quarterback come postseason play with a 3-4 record along with some awful QB ratings/playoff performances. Overall postseason QB rating of only 79.2 with 8 TD's/9 INT's. Has always been a very good regular season quarterback, but has also fallen flat on his face (time and time again) during pressure situations/moments of postseason football.

I'm pretty sure that the Chargers regret letting Drew Brees walk in favor of Philip Rivers, and as a Jets fan, I'm just thankful that Miami was unsure if Brees' could remain healthy (shoulder) and ended negotiations for Brees in order to trade Daunte Culpepper.

With all that said, Rivers put up 3 consecutive regular seasons of strong (to great) performances before an overall decline in performance last season. Antonio Gates (his favorite target/weapon) being hurt didn't help the situation any. With Gates returning to (potentially) full health, I look for Rivers to put up another Pro-Bowl type of season. If I were a betting man, I just wouldn't bet against a quarterback such as Rivers; at least not until the playoffs that is.

I think you're wrong, Rivers with Braylon, Holmes, Keller, etc...would have put us over the top in those games. However, I wasn't trying to criticize Sanchez, I think he gets a raw deal around here...

Hate to agree but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardukis View Post
    Hate to agree but I do.
    What is your guys reasoning? You think Sanchez is better than Rivers? I don't get it...