Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McChrystal: Time to bring back the draft

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    That's the trick isn't it? You want an army with no public conscience you need a mercenary army. You want to fight a war where the nations survival is at stake you need the public behind it with a clear stake in the battle.

You can’t have both a civilized society and a society that has a scorch the earth mentality without a clear understanding that civilized society is in the balance and needs to be suspended.
    We have a superior force that is not used to its full potential as it is, with superior intellect compared to many civilian aggregate counterparts. Not my problem the unpatriotic lib MSM doesn't rally the public behind wars unless (D) is in charge.

Thanks to the Baby Boomer Pt.1 Hippies there will always be the anti-war freaks who will be against any war-libs, Paulistinians, and so forth. 50K people came out to demonstrate the impending war in Afghanistan after 9/11 blaming America 1st etc.

There is no trick - as you know there are tests to be soldiers (AFQT etc) and the people who score higher on those remain in the service, willingly.

What is your objection exactly - minority "oversubscription"? or undersubscription by "the rich"?

Me, I have no multi-culti moral relativism guilt or self-hate poisoning my mind. American society > any other, 1 American life is worth 1000000s of any others, especially our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    That's the trick isn't it? You want an army with no public conscience you need a mercenary army. You want to fight a war where the nations survival is at stake you need the public behind it with a clear stake in the battle.

You can’t have both a civilized society and a society that has a scorch the earth mentality without a clear understanding that civilized society is in the balance and needs to be suspended.
    Seriously beg to differ.
    Since we have gone all volunteer, we have gone patty cake in the way we fight.
    I suggest that, as an example, the military person of WWII and Korea and to a lesser extent, Vietnam, was far more ruthless and brutal and unforgiving in a combat situation.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Seriously beg to differ.
    Since we have gone all volunteer, we have gone patty cake in the way we fight.
    I suggest that, as an example, the military person of WWII and Korea and to a lesser extent, Vietnam, was far more ruthless and brutal and unforgiving in a combat situation.
    I think differently here. That may have been in some places of the US Military at the beginning of the wars but after 10-11 years of this, they are battle hardened after so many tours.

The rate of suicides in the Military are very real:

Suicides among U.S. military members have spiked this year, with an average of one suicide a day — the highest rate so far during a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to new Pentagon figures, 154 military service members committed suicide during the first 155 days of this year. During the same period, ending June 3, 136 U.S. troops died in combat in Afghanistan, according to icasualties.org, a website that tracks combat casualties.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...cides-20120608

Also the wars to this point are of the 'low impact' variety. Our firepower is clearly superior

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I think differently here. That may have been in some places of the US Military at the beginning of the wars but after 10-11 years of this, they are battle hardened after so many tours.

The rate of suicides in the Military are very real:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...cides-20120608

Also the wars to this point are of the 'low impact' variety. Our firepower is clearly superior
    I am sorry to say that suicides suggest something very negative. Perhaps our soldiers are not as well rounded as the combo of draft and enlistee version we had.
    As far as firepower. We have always had superior firepower except the very beginning of WWII in the Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I am sorry to say that suicides suggest something very negative. Perhaps our soldiers are not as well rounded as the combo of draft and enlistee version we had.
    As far as firepower. We have always had superior firepower except the very beginning of WWII in the Pacific.
    It was after WW II that the USA became the world super power. Since Russia fell off of the cliff, there is no one close. Thus why are we STILL fighting in the MENA after 10/11 years?

Trillions wasted!!!!!

Mixed thoughts on this.

The draft dodgers, evaders, deferrers, etc. ended up getting some sweet deals after many others sacrificed for Vietnam. I suspect a future draft would afford similar escape routes for those ones "fortunate" enough to have the resources.

If you bring the draft talk to the table I think you need to bring compulsory service to the discussion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Mixed thoughts on this.

The draft dodgers, evaders, deferrers, etc. ended up getting some sweet deals after many others sacrificed for Vietnam. I suspect a future draft would afford similar escape routes for those ones "fortunate" enough to have the resources.

If you bring the draft talk to the table I think you need to bring compulsory service to the discussion as well.

Compulsory is fine. But plenty of people of privilege fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Many volunteeered.
    There will always be some who evade - legally or not. Hey, Joe Namath evaded - semi legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    It was after WW II that the USA became the world super power. Since Russia fell off of the cliff, there is no one close. Thus why are we STILL fighting in the MENA after 10/11 years?

Trillions wasted!!!!!

We are fighting? What we are doing is not fighting. We are playing referee in a land of sub humans. And they will NEVER change because it is a religious thing.