Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep a close eye on RT Austin Howard...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Never seen him play but the RT position should be an open competition, it bothers me that Hunter's going in as the starter. Ducasse in particular should get a fair shot in TC to show if he's developed.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Tannanbaum always namedrops scrubs in the offseason. Doesn't mean a thing. I'll see it when I believe it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Never seen him play but the RT position should be an open competition, it bothers me that Hunter's going in as the starter. Ducasse in particular should get a fair shot in TC to show if he's developed.
    Not 100% sure,but i think Howard is the backup to Ferguson.

Good thread Slik.

I think you might have something here.

What is interesting is that Ducasse did not get a lot of playing time at RT, but at LG instead. That means the Jets played Hunter, Heyer, and probably this kid Howard and may like the depth and potential they have with both players.

If the worst we can say about Howard is that he got abused by tye likes of Ware, i can live with that. Ware routinely abuses whoever they line up in front of him. I know he's raw but sometimes all it takes is a year for a young player to see the light and come on strong, i guarantee you Howard is a lot stronger and quicker and more polished today than he was two years ago as an undrafted rookie out of a small school.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good thread Slik.

I think you might have something here.

What is interesting is that Ducasse did not get a lot of playing time at RT, but at LG instead. That means the Jets played Hunter, Heyer, and probably this kid Howard and may like the depth and potential they have with both players.
    S Heyer is better suited to playing guard than tackle. Jets play him at guard he has a chance to win one of the starting guard positions. (jet fan will love him there) Jets try and play him at tackle and he isn't an upgrade to Wayne Hunter.

Ray the reason Ducasse was receiving time at LG is because slauson was recovering from off season surgery.

JMO I see Jets Oline looking like this. LT DBrick LG Ducasse/ Slauson C N mangold RG S Heyer RT W Hunter Yes I have B moore as possible player not making Jets 53 man roster.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-08-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    S Heyer is better suited to playing guard than tackle. Jets play him at guard he has a chance to win one of the starting guard positions. (jet fan will love him there) Jets try and play him at tackle and he isn't an upgrade to Wayne Hunter.

Ray the reason Ducasse was receiving time at LG is because slauson was recovering from off season surgery.

JMO I see Jets Oline looking like this. LT DBrick LG Ducasse/ Slauson C N mangold RG S Heyer RT W Hunter Yes I have B moore as possible player not making Jets 53 man roster.
    S Heyer will make the Jets EXPLOSIVE!

Look Raider homer, I know why Ducasse played LG, I know Slauson has been out. I eat, breathe, and sleep Jets football, I know what is going on with EVERY player.

I think there is more to Ducasse's work at LG, and I think Sparano and the new OL coach see something in him that have caused them to move him back inside, or maybe the plan is still to develop him at RT, I guess it remains to be seen.

I hear you on Heyer, you apparently know more about the player than I do, that makes sense.

But Ducasse has shown improvement this off-season, and has drawn praises from the coaches, I think the coaches are re-evaluating Ducasse all over again, and worked him more inside to get additional looks at the player, and make their own evaluation.

B Moore is not going to lose his job, not unless releasing him gives the Jets a huge cap relief. I can see Heyer making the team if he impresses well enough, but he will have a big hill to climb, and he most likely will not beat out Moore.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    S Heyer will make the Jets EXPLOSIVE!
    Lets see if I'm correct and he not starting at one of the guard positions for the Jets. Jmo opinion he easily beats out Slauson or B moore for one of the guard position.

Ray is Brandon Moore the same player he was a couple years ago. Last year of contract and according to Tony on the sister site of Jets insider(draft section) Callahan wanted b Moore replaced in the starting lineup last year . So don't be surprise if its not a salary cap move but Tony Sparano getting his type of olineman and Brandon Moore shown the door.(sparano has no loyalty to B moore- he can't help him hes gone)
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Lets see if I'm correct and he not starting at one of the guard positions for the Jets. Jmo opinion he easily beats out Slauson or B moore for one of the guard position.

Ray is Brandon Moore the same player he was a couple years ago. Last year of contract and according to Tony on the sister site of Jets insider(draft section) Callahan wanted b Moore replaced in the starting lineup last year . So don't be surprise if its not a salary cap move but Tony Sparano getting his type of olineman and Brandon Moore shown the door.(sparano has no loyalty to B moore- he can't help him hes gone)
    Callahan is no longer this OL coach.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but highly doubtful IMO. Moore is an underrated OG.

He was coming off of hip surgery last year, that isn't an issue this year, to my knowledge.

Jets Insider VIP
    Callahan is no longer this OL coach.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but highly doubtful IMO. Moore is an underrated OG.

He was coming off of hip surgery last year, that isn't an issue this year, to my knowledge.
    How can a guy who was voted to the Pro Bowl last year be underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He was an alternate

Moore doesn't get national recognition as he should.

The mere fact that the Raider fan thinks he'll be cut is proof of that.

He was an alternate

How many years was Alan Faneca getting voted for the pro bowl when it was obvious he wasn't anywhere the same player.(it a popularity contest) Why did Dbrickshaw Ferguson get voted when he had a terrible year in 2011.

Ray just because you think Brandon Moore can turn back the clock and return to two years ago level, doesn't mean much. He going to have to prove it on the football field first. Is he as a good fit in a man blocking scheme as he was in zone blocking scheme.

Also if you look at the guards Tony sparano team had with the dolphins. B moore doesn't exactly fit the type of guard that played on his oline. First he not the 325 pound plus Guards they look for and B Moore is more known for his pass blocking than his run blocking. (that a great fit for a team that wants to run it)
    In other words, Moore hasn't allowed a sack or a knock-down of Mark Sanchez. PFF grades Moore as one of the best pass-blockers, but also one of the least effective run-blocking guards in the NFL. Tue, Dec 27, 2011 05:28:00 PM

Lets see S Heyer goes 6'6 330 compare to Brandon Moore 6'3 305. Whose more likely moving Defenders off the line of scrimmage Heyer or Moore.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-09-2012 at 07:18 AM.

I don't like to declare any player a bust until they have gotten enough chances to succeed, but, I think Ducasse is a BUST.
    Kid just doesn't have the instincts to be an NFL player. I don't know if it's a language barrier thing but he just flat out STINKS!
    NFL Sirius radio, Ross Tucker said the same thing. His exact quote was, "Ducasse just flat out stinks!"

This coming from a former starting Olineman in the NFL. Usually these guys give each other the benefit of the doubt but Tucker was succinct in his evaluation after seeing Ducasse on tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I don't like to declare any player a bust until they have gotten enough chances to succeed, but, I think Ducasse is a BUST.
    Kid just doesn't have the instincts to be an NFL player. I don't know if it's a language barrier thing but he just flat out STINKS!
    NFL Sirius radio, Ross Tucker said the same thing. His exact quote was, "Ducasse just flat out stinks!"

This coming from a former starting Olineman in the NFL. Usually these guys give each other the benefit of the doubt but Tucker was succinct in his evaluation after seeing Ducasse on tape.
    Hard to disagree with this. Other than some good power we've seen sproadically in the running game, there isn't much to like about what Ducasse has brought to the table.

Add in the fact that he continued to receive bad press in OTAs/mini-camp this year, and it sounds like he still might not be ready. Which means he likely never will be. But still hoping for a surprise.

Jets Insider VIP
    He was an alternate

How many OG's get national recognition?

He's not underrated by his peers or teammates.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Hard to disagree with this. Other than some good power we've seen sproadically in the running game, there isn't much to like about what Ducasse has brought to the table.

Add in the fact that he continued to receive bad press in OTAs/mini-camp this year, and it sounds like he still might not be ready. Which means he likely never will be. But still hoping for a surprise.
    DWC says that coach Rex Ryan was raving about Ducasse in OTA's.

Look Raider homer, I know why Ducasse played LG, I know Slauson has been out. I eat, breathe, and sleep Jets football, I know what is going on with EVERY player.

I think there is more to Ducasse's work at LG, and I think Sparano and the new OL coach see something in him that have caused them to move him back inside, or maybe the plan is still to develop him at RT, I guess it remains to be seen.

I hear you on Heyer, you apparently know more about the player than I do, that makes sense.

But Ducasse has shown improvement this off-season, and has drawn praises from the coaches, I think the coaches are re-evaluating Ducasse all over again, and worked him more inside to get additional looks at the player, and make their own evaluation.

B Moore is not going to lose his job, not unless releasing him gives the Jets a huge cap relief. I can see Heyer making the team if he impresses well enough, but he will have a big hill to climb, and he most likely will not beat out Moore.
    Agreed. I have faith in the CS's ability to harness Ducasse strength and power on the line. The dude has all the raw materials and then some to be a dominant OL fixture. It's just the mental side of things that he's catching up with. If Jets dump him early like some luminaries here are suggesting anothet team will prolly pick him up and find a useful role for him.

I agree Moore is underrated and finally got his pro-bowl nod after years of toiling away at a very high level. I didn't know that he was an ineffective run blocker like 90210 is proclaiming. You must be watching different game film, maybe it was a video game. So what Heyer is supposedly 325 pounds all that means is he's a big boulder, Moore has superior power to weight ratio. That's EXPLOSIVE

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He's underrated by 90210 but that's just because he was never a Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed. I have faith in the CS's ability to harness Ducasse strength and power on the line. The dude has all the raw materials and then some to be a dominant OL fixture. It's just the mental side of things that he's catching up with. If Jets dump him early like some luminaries here are suggesting anothet team will prolly pick him up and find a useful role for him.

I agree Moore is underrated and finally got his pro-bowl nod after years of toiling away at a very high level. I didn't know that he was an ineffective run blocker like 90210 is proclaiming. You must be watching different game film, maybe it was a video game. So what Heyer is supposedly 325 pounds all that means is he's a big boulder, Moore has superior power to weight ratio. That's EXPLOSIVE
    IF you don't have the mental capacity to play on the oline what can a coach do to correct that. Give you a lobotomy so you can understand what the defensive lineman are doing to beat you like a drum. If you can't figure it out whats going on, you can have all the raw talent and its not going to mean a thing. (there is a reason why the wonderlic is an important test for certain positions) .

Case IN point why jared Veldheer(Hillsdale college) could come in and have a major impact from day one(intelligence) and why Bruce Campbell(who put up some of the greatest numbers that any olineman has put up at the combine) was a non factor. You either have it up stairs or you don't.

That was pro football focus point that Brandon Moore was one of the most ineffective run blocker in the league last year( Take it up with them if you have a problem). He was one of the better pass blockers. (again not Raider9175 assessment but Pro football focus).

Now if Pro football focus assessment is correct about B moore than is that a good thing when Jets supposedly want to be ground and pound.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.