Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Q&A with Nick Bellore #54.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

Q&A with Nick Bellore #54.

Jets summer Q&A with linebacker Nick Bellore

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerLinebacker Nick Bellore won the defensive lifting award this offseason.
    Linebacker Nick Bellore was a pleasant surprise for the Jets in 2011, rising to the challenge of making the 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent post-lockout. The Central Michigan grad was active for all 16 games last season, playing primarily on special teams. In today's Q+A, he talks about his strength (literally).

What was one of your main goals this offseason?

I think something thatís always really helped me is Iíve been able to keep up in the weight room, and I think that keeps you healthy and it makes you a better football player. Itís always kind of been a strong point for me, and to win the (defensive lifting award), it was voted on by my peers, which was cool. At the end of the day it doesnít mean much, you have to do it out on the field, but itís nice to get a little recognition, I guess.

Martin Tevaseu said he saw you dead lifting over 600 pounds. Is that true?

Um, I did 605 for six (reps). Thatís probably the best Iíve ever done. Iíve always been kind of strong, but that was probably the best Iíve ever done. Dustin Keller is really good at it, too. He did 605 for four (reps). So there are some strong dudes on the team, for sure. There are a lot of guys that can lift a lot, even the smaller guys. They donít put up big numbers, but in proportion to what they weigh, there are some really strong guys. I know I would watch to see what Keller was lifting and try to beat it. It does nothing but help everybody.

Whatís the biggest thing thatís surprised you so far this year?

I think the biggest thing is our attendance as a team, because from what I hear, itís very low with other teams. And from what I hear, weíre just about 100 percent. So itís just like college, where they say itís voluntary, but everyone is there. Itís the same thing here, and thatís really cool. You form bonds with teammates, and it breeds competition, which I think helps us in the long run.

Do you have any plans for the break?

Nah. You always have big plans, but you just end up hanging out and relaxing, because the season is what it is and it will be on us soon, so you have to get ready for all that. But it will be nice to relax and see the family. I was going to go visit my buddy in Europe, but that never happens. I was like, "Ahh, Iím just going to hang out on mom or dadís couch and watch movies."

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of these youngins have to start contributing.