Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should still sign Leonhard if/when he's healthy

Jets should still sign Leonhard if/when he's healthy

The dude is a football player. Leonhard can still be an improvement for the defense in the nickel/dime package. Landry and Eric Smith aren't exactly world-beaters in coverage. And we could really use his communication skills. He plays a role on special teams too. You can plug in anywhere on specials and he'll do it. Also now that Cotchery is gone, he's the only one who can catch a punt without making a mistake on this whole team.

The market for him is not likely to be expensive. Not many teams want an undersized safety coming off back-to-back season ending leg surgeries. The one thing I can see is Belichick signing him because we all know that secondary is atrocious and can use a guy with a brain like Leonhard.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 07-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I completely agree.
    Didn't we already reassign his #? If that's the case he isn't coming back IMO. No way Rex would do something like that if there was a chance we resign him.

+1 depth depth depth, especially with the injury prone Landry and a pair of rookies. But would there be room for all 6: the 2 rookies (Allen & Bush), Smith, Leonhard, Landry and Bell? Tough one.

Jets Insider VIP
    agreed

100 percent

and then cut Eric Smith

Banned
    Bell-Landry.

Smith-Leonhard.

Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    The dude is a football player. Leonhard can still be an improvement for the defense in the nickel/dime package. Landry and Eric Smith aren't exactly world-beaters in coverage. And we could really use his communication skills. He plays a role on special teams too. You can plug in anywhere on specials and he'll do it. Also now that Cotchery is gone, he's the only one who can catch a punt without making a mistake on this whole team.

The market for him is not likely to be expensive. Not many teams want an undersized safety coming off back-to-back season ending leg surgeries. The one thing I can see is Belichick signing him because we all know that secondary is atrocious and can use a guy with a brain like Leonhard.
    Leonhard isn't exactly a world-beater in coverage either. Nor is he a world-beater in running or tackling or returning punts, though he is a master of the fair catch.

I'll never understand the affinity for a guy like Leonhard who couldn't possibly be less of an impact player. As you said, he's gone down twice in the past two seasons, and in both years the defense didn't miss a beat (after the 45-3 thrashing at the hands of the Pats, of course).

You can hate Smith all you want - that guy is not a good football player either. But personally I would rather see the younger guys get some experience on the field than watch Leonhard nipping at the ankles of TEs, not getting to the QB on the safety blitz (again), or making a huge tackle 10 yards downfield on a 3rd & 6.

If not many teams want a slow, undersized safety coming off two back-to-back leg surgeries, why should the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Leonhard isn't exactly a world-beater in coverage either. Nor is he a world-beater in running or tackling or returning punts, though he is a master of the fair catch.

I'll never understand the affinity for a guy like Leonhard who couldn't possibly be less of an impact player. As you said, he's gone down twice in the past two seasons, and in both years the defense didn't miss a beat (after the 45-3 thrashing at the hands of the Pats, of course).

You can hate Smith all you want - that guy is not a good football player either. But personally I would rather see the younger guys get some experience on the field than watch Leonhard nipping at the ankles of TEs, not getting to the QB on the safety blitz (again), or making a huge tackle 10 yards downfield on a 3rd & 6.

If not many teams want a slow, undersized safety coming off two back-to-back leg surgeries, why should the Jets?
    Even if it's on punt, kickoff, and backup safety it's worth it to sign him. I don't think he'll be that expensive. And he's still better than our other options in obvious passing situations. Landry is no Ed Reed in pass coverage.

...torn on leonhard...love his smarts and always seems to make a key interception or recover a fumble or tackle but his best days may behind him...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Even if it's on punt, kickoff, and backup safety it's worth it to sign him. I don't think he'll be that expensive. And he's still better than our other options in obvious passing situations. Landry is no Ed Reed in pass coverage.
    I hear where you're coming from, and it's not like I'd be pissed if they signed Leonhard, but I don't agree that it's worth it to sign him. Keep in mind that every snap that Leonhard plays is one where the younger guys (Bush, Allen, D. Smith) are missing out on valuable field experience. Sounds crazy, but it can actually be detrimental to have a guy like that on the roster.

There's no future on this team for Leonhard. It's not even unrealistic to think that a guy like Bush brings more to the table at this point than Leonhard does. Time to cut the cord and move on.

he was very good until he snapped his leg in half in 2010.

he was mostly bad in 2011, then he tore up his knee.

other than sentimental value, i don't see the point in bringing him back.

Veteran
    Bell has to hit his Derrick Mason, old geezer, ceiling at some point - his numbers have already started falling off. Yes, I know he is five years younger than Mason but safeties age faster due to the hitting. Landry has spotty attendance on "voluntary" mini-camps and has a poor record on staying on the field. So as fragile as he is, I say yes to Leonhard at minimum salary or sign him after the first game so they don't have to guarantee his contract.

Lets hope the rookies step up because this is a motley crew to face a tight-end centric league.

Jets Insider VIP
    No we shouldn't

He is terrible and can't stay healthy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Bell has to hit his Derrick Mason, old geezer, ceiling at some point - his numbers have already started falling off. Yes,
    Lets not compare a 34 year old safety in Bell to 37-38 year old Mason.

Also, Bell's numbers have already started to fall off? You've got to be kidding me. 120 tackles/1 sack in 2008. 114 tackles/1.5 sacks in 2009. 101 tackles/1.5 sacks in 2010 and 107 tackles/2.0 sacks last season, that's what you consider "falling off"?

The man has averaged 110.5 tackles per season over the past 4 seasons since his injury of 2007 5 years ago.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Lets not compare a 34 year old safety in Bell to 37-38 year old Mason.

Also, Bell's numbers have already started to fall off? You've got to be kidding me. 120 tackles/1 sack in 2008. 114 tackles/1.5 sacks in 2009. 101 tackles/1.5 sacks in 2010 and 107 tackles/2.0 sacks last season, that's what you consider "falling off"?

The man has averaged 110.5 tackles per season over the past 4 seasons since his injury of 2007 5 years ago.
    The jets have been through this before on an even grander scale
    ... hello HOF'er Ronnie Lott.

You are quoting combined tackles with other players.

Agreed Bell has been a great player for the Mammals but his solo tackles have fallen off 20% from his high in 2008 and I expect them to fall further this year. 100 solo tackles in 2008 and 81 tackles in 2011. Please mock me in January if I am wrong.

I can compare a 34 year old safety to a 38 year WR because safeties hit for a living that's all they do and it takes it's toll. How many safeties are still relevant their mid-thirties ?
    Last edited by Gangrene; 07-06-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Love JL, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Jim is a leader and I guess you weren't watching 'cause the D went to sh1t right after both his freak injuries that came from him playing his ass off. It's not like he gets wimpy sore tendons or toe rot. The dude broke stuff, that's not "injury prone," Unless you're going to claim he is so old his bones are getting brittle.

If nothing else hire him as a coach to teach the young guys the leadership skills it takes to be the QB of the D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Leonhard's not going to be ready for camp. A torn patellar tendon takes a good 9-12 months to heal.

How many safeties would you like to carry? Six? There's already Landry, Bell, Smith, Bush and Allen. If the Jets were bringing him back, his 36 wouldn't have been issued either. Leonhard's time is done here, just like Edwards'. Fans need to save their breaths.

Hall Of Fame
    Dream scenario would be a healthy Jim Leonhard playing alongside a true FS.

We thought we had that with Leonhard and Rhodes, unfortunately Rhodes decided he wanted to be a model/actor instead of a football player..