Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should still sign Leonhard if/when he's healthy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Leonhard's not going to be ready for camp. A torn patellar tendon takes a good 9-12 months to heal.
    Yeah, I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't sound like an injury that's quick in recovery time. I guess it's time to move on from Jim Leonhard.

If LaRon Landry can return to form, he's our best overall safety we've had since Kerry Rhodes. We all know how talented Rhodes was, but unlike Rhodes, LaRon Landry doesn't shy away from contact, he actually dishes out the punishment. When healthy, he's a 27 years of age tackling machine. The year before last year, before getting injured in 2010, Landry put up 85 tackles during only 9 games of play. That's an average of 9.4 tackles per game; which averages out to 151.1 tackles during a 16 game season. I see no reason why LaRon can't return to form.

Landry and Bell have the potential/ability to combine for our strongest set of Safety's that we've featured under a Rex Ryan led defense. The perfect Safety's for a Rex Ryan/Darrelle Revis led defensive scheme. We can lock up both Revis and Cromartie one vs one on the outside, Kyle Wilson is coming into his own as a nickel back; creating for one of the leagues strongest trio of pass coverage CB's. Due to our CB's ability to play man coverage, this is where two tackling machines in Landry and Bell can become defensive contributors. Two physical safety's who can focus on the middle of the field, while dishing out punishment for 4 quarters strong. These two can combine for a force in regards to the middle of the field.

With Landry, Bell and Smith providing us with a solid backup, we only need one of our rookie Safety's to mesh, in order to provide us with solid Safety depth. This is where Josh Bush and/or Antonio Allen come in play.

Below are two write up's in regards to our rookie Safety's. I'm really high on 7th rounder Allen, reminds me of a Kerry Rhodes type of talent, but he seems to be a willing tackler. I'm very high on Antonio Allen, I also love the fact that he played inside of the SEC, home of some of the greatest defensive programs around. Kid got an A- rating due to where he was selected (7th round).

Bush: "After trading away their fourth- and fifth-round picks, the Jets went 110 picks between selecting Demario Davis and Josh Bush.

Bush will add some depth to the secondary and will likely be a special teams contributor for Mike Westhoff if he makes the roster.

He may carve a niche out for himself in a dime package, but to think that he can take on the role of a key contributor at free safety might be a little to ask of him right away.

What drops this pick down to a C- is that Oklahoma State's hard-hitting free safety Markelle Martin was still on the board and would have been a great value in the sixth round. Martin went three picks later to the Titans.

Bush wasn't invited to play in any postseason All-Star games, nor was he invited to the NFL combine, but maybe the Jets saw something when they had to dig for some reliable player evaluation.

Bush was a third-team All-American and played just one season at free safety after moving over to cornerback".

Allen: "From the start, Antonio Allen has one thing going for him: He isn't Eric Smith.

The Jets seem like they got great value in the seventh round with their selection of Antonio Allen. He was a strong tackler at South Carolina, but the way he was used may have hindered his draft status.

Nfldraftscout.com listed Allen as a fourth-to-fifth-round pick, and he was rated as the 101st player on the consensus big board, so the Jets nabbing him in the seventh round at No. 242 rates as a A- because of the tremendous value.

Allen was listed as a safety, but played close to the line of scrimmage in a rover position most of the time. Basically, South Carolina put him where they thought the ball would be and expected him to make a play.

Allen has very good size at 6'2", 210 and if he can adjust to a more traditional role, he will produce better at safety than Josh Bush, who was picked 55 selections earlier.

On the downside, Allen has a lot of work to do in his pass-coverage game, as he is seen mainly as a run-stopper.

There is no question that he possesses high-level, NFL run-stopping ability as-is, but in passing downs and against pass-heavy teams, Allen should be further away from the field than the beer vendor in the upper deck at MetLife Stadium.

He does have a good amount of athletic ability, though, and if he develops any kind of pass-coverage skills, he will have a very fine career as an NFL strong safety".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpcQQm7WaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrVWcj6NDY

I say again, bring Jim back as a safeties coach. At least that will stop Beladick from getting him. While I would like to believe all the hype about older players helping younger ones, it's still a competition and I can see someone like Landry helping a younger guy take his spot.

You don't get to be the QB of the D without a lot of smarts and experience, let's take advantage of it.

a little harsh on leonard as a football player. you don't always need great physical skills if you have the technique down and know where the plays are going. leonard has proven that he knows how to play and manage rex's defense and for that reason he is valuable on the field. however, coming off two season ending injuries and a lack of physical size and speed does make him doubtful. the jets would be better off trying to make him a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Leonhard isn't exactly a world-beater in coverage either. Nor is he a world-beater in running or tackling or returning punts, though he is a master of the fair catch.

I'll never understand the affinity for a guy like Leonhard who couldn't possibly be less of an impact player. As you said, he's gone down twice in the past two seasons, and in both years the defense didn't miss a beat (after the 45-3 thrashing at the hands of the Pats, of course).

You can hate Smith all you want - that guy is not a good football player either. But personally I would rather see the younger guys get some experience on the field than watch Leonhard nipping at the ankles of TEs, not getting to the QB on the safety blitz (again), or making a huge tackle 10 yards downfield on a 3rd & 6.

If not many teams want a slow, undersized safety coming off two back-to-back leg surgeries, why should the Jets?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I say again, bring Jim back as a safeties coach.
    ... sign me up for this ...

... salary cap $$$ should be spent on another teams training camp cut RT ...

l_j_r

To all the people saying Leonhard is old, washed up, sucks- will you still be saying that if Belicheck scoops him up and he runs in a pick 6 to beat us in overtime, costing the Jets the division title?

I am one of his biggest fans and am all for cutting either Smith, Bell, or Landry to make room for him. His value on ST is also underrated because he can field punts cleanly. SIGN THIS BEAST!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Agree with Sizzle

If Jimmy is healthy

SIGN THAT BEAST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    To all the people saying Leonhard is old, washed up, sucks- will you still be saying that if Belicheck scoops him up and he runs in a pick 6 to beat us in overtime, costing the Jets the division title?

I am one of his biggest fans and am all for cutting either Smith, Bell, or Landry to make room for him. His value on ST is also underrated because he can field punts cleanly. SIGN THIS BEAST!!
    Jim Leonhard is not going to make the difference of the Jets losing the division due to a "pick 6 to beat us in overtime, costing the Jets the division title". How many times did Jim Leonhard return a pick 6 for the Jets, in overtime, giving US the division title?

Once again, Jim Leonhard won't cost the Jets the division title... Have you ever heard of a quarterback by the name of TOM BRADY?!?

Cut guys like Bell and Landry... For Jim Leonhard? Right.

Jets Insider VIP
    AGREED

cut Smith

yes yes yes

Banned
    Jim Leonhard is not only undersized to protect against pass catching TE's down the middle of the field, but he's also pushing 30 after two consecutive years of season ending injury. It's time to move forward as a franchise, not live in the past; because Jim Leonhard of today isn't the same Leonhard of 2009 with the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    It took 16,668 posts for sg3 to contribute what could be his first substantive football post.

Congratulations.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It took 16,668 posts for sg3 to contribute what could be his first substantive football post.

Congratulations.
    What the fk is your problem? You bring your personal hatred for JI posters with each and every post of each and every thread. It's pathetic and after a while. You can't read a single thread on JI, without Jordy derailing, making attacks, calling posters out, bringing personal hate etc, etc. You're honestly more of a troll when compared to PatsFanTx. It's sad man.

There is an off-topic forum... You should use it, while staying away from posters who actually come here to talk sports.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEyhmdxeV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGrgssPsZ4s

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    What the fk is your problem? You bring your personal hatred for JI posters with each and every post of each and every thread. It's pathetic and after a while. You can't read a single thread on JI, without Jordy derailing, making attacks, calling posters out, bringing personal hate etc, etc. You're honestly more of a troll when compared to PatsFanTx. It's sad man.

There is an off-topic forum... You should use it, while staying away from posters who actually come here to talk sports.

Just my thoughts.
    You truly are clueless. Pay more attention.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Mrs. sg3?

Jets Insider VIP
    sg3, I'll save you the trouble of pretending.

This message is hidden because Jordy is on your ignore list.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Mrs. sg3?
    Seriously.

Talk about clueless.

Love Jim Leonhard and he always played beyond his talent, but I don't think it's worth it to sign him before week one. He's not an elite talent we're taking a bet on coming off an injury. He was a nice player, but I'd be surprised if he could do more for us than Bush/Allen this season.

Now if there are early season developments or -- knock wood -- injuries, then sure maybe bring him because he'll be farther along on his rehab and able to step into the secondary without skipping a beat.

If he's healthy ... Sign him ... Can't hurt ... Love his heart and hustle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Yeah, I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't sound like an injury that's quick in recovery time. I guess it's time to move on from Jim Leonhard.
    I had the injury, and let me tell you that it's not fun. When you tear an ACL or MCL, the Dr will shave off a slice of your patellar tendon to use it as your new ACL or MCL.. the reason why? the patellar tendon is thick as f*ck, and isn't supposed to tear.

Cadillac Williams is the only player who I know of who's returned from a similar injury, and it took him 13 months to get back onto the field as a mid-20 something.. i'm not saying Leonhard won't come back - i just dont think he'll be ready until at least mid season..

Banned

You can't read a single thread on JI, without Jordy derailing, making attacks, calling posters out, bringing personal hate etc, etc. You're honestly more of a troll when compared to PatsFanTx.

PatsFanTx > Jordy

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    a little harsh on leonard as a football player. you don't always need great physical skills if you have the technique down and know where the plays are going. leonard has proven that he knows how to play and manage rex's defense and for that reason he is valuable on the field. however, coming off two season ending injuries and a lack of physical size and speed does make him doubtful. the jets would be better off trying to make him a coach.
    The Truth. Because of his injuries and long recovery time it appears that the ship has sailed on Leonhard as a player. They've reassigned his # and signed/drafted a horde of safeties.

But his brains are invaluable, having him as S coach would be great and help bring the incumbents/rookies up to speed in the Jets high pressure D.