Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Comment on Sparano's O (McElroy)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    By all account McElroy is an extremely smart person and football player. He is likely very analytical. And I should also mention that nothing he has said has ever been proven false. I don't see why he would have any reason to lie.

IMO this might be the most accurate assessment of Sparano's offense we have gotten till this point. McElroy is a winning player who came from a college team that was run like an NFL team.

McElroy is NOT what is wrong with this team.
    Once gain, this is what's wrong with out society today.

We're not talking about whether McElroy is what's wrong with the team, but McElroy is on a professional football team. Whatever problems may be occurring on the team, it's not his job to talk about them in an open forum. It's not JI.

If he gets paid by the team, he should keep his mouth shut.

The same for any other player.

Nobody said McElroy is what's wrong with the team.

You just don't say whatever you want just because you want to. Especially if you're new.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

We're not talking about whether McElroy is what's wrong with the team, but McElroy is on a professional football team. Whatever problems may be occurring on the team, it's not his job to talk about them in an open forum. It's not JI.

You just don't say whatever you want just because you want to. Especially if you're new.

I agree with you. I am all for less media availability. This team is way too transparent IMO. But that is b.c the FO and HC want it that way. I am not going to blame the players for not being skillful orators. Not everyone is Derek Jeter.

But all I see is one quote from an entire article. I am not going to jump to conclusions or put words in his mouth. I am going to take his quote FWIW and keep it in context. I do not think he meant it as an indictment on Sparano.

And my comment about McElroy not being what is wrong with this team was in reference to all the people calling him and saying he sucks and should be cut. I quoted a post in my response. IMO he should not be cut b.c he is not what is wrong. Nor is his talking. I am not going to blame him for the failed media policies of FO and HC.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know that Sanchez is told which progressions to go through on his plays, except when he runs the 2 minute offense where he calls the plays?

When was Sanchez more successful?

Just saying.
    I agree 100% with that. I was just poking fun at Stokes' ridiculous argument and comparison of Sanchez to Stafford in another thread (a thread that intended to compare Sanchez to Flacco, no less). Being that he's such a fan of cross-pollination, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He claimed that Stafford displayed the exact same 3rd year QB problems as Sanchez, which of course would be true of any QB, but the implication was that Stafford does so to the same extent as does Sanchez. Yeah right. . Objectively speaking.

#1 on my excuse list for Sanchez's performance is poor play design/selection (plays that don't maximize the things Sanchez does well) and what I believe was very bad coaching by both Schitty and Cavanawful. Not quite sure why Cavanawful is still the position coach since the rest of the offensive coaches has been replaced. One unsubstantiated rumor is that they couldn't find anyone to assume that position (pun intended) and another theory is that Schitty was an obstacle to Cavanugh doing his job. Whatever it is, I sure wish Cav was ejected with the rest.

We shall see. I expect to see huge progress by Sanchez this year. If not, then the Jets will be thinking QB early in the 2013 draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Schotty's playbook was never the problem, it was the gameplanning and the game calling that were problems, and the decisions he made when calling for them.

Most offenses in the NFL all have similar concepts, most coaches have very big play books.

Verbiage and how they deploy those concepts and when to deploy them is what makes a good OC.
    Exactly. The only you you did not mention which is a big factor is the team's confidence in the play being called.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the culture that Rex fostered with the jets, be loud, be outspoken. Any publicity is good publicity. Not trolling, don't blame him for playing follow the leader.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    That is the culture that Rex fostered with the jets, be loud, be outspoken. Any publicity is good publicity. Not trolling, don't blame him for playing follow the leader.
    Talking in public is different than airing dirty laundry.

IMO these guys are spoiled and self centered. McElroy is no different until proven otherwise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Schotty's playbook was never the problem, it was the gameplanning and the game calling that were problems, and the decisions he made when calling for them.

Most offenses in the NFL all have similar concepts, most coaches have very big play books.

Verbiage and how they deploy those concepts and when to deploy them is what makes a good OC.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    McElroy better shut his trap or he'll be gone by August
    I hope not. He's our smartest QB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I hope not. He's our smartest QB.
    Pennington was one of the smartest in the league. Didn't make him a star.

You have to have everything to be a quality QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Pennington was a quality qb, how soon fans forget. he was betrayed by a shoulder injury.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Pennington was a quality qb, how soon fans forget. he was betrayed by a shoulder injury.
    I love how Patriot fans are more rational than the Jet fans on here sometimes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Stafford, my bad. I know a Brian Stafford.
    You were confusing him with Matt and Brian Hoyer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You must have been pounding a few chicks last night with ken.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    You were confusing him with Matt and Brian Hoyer.
    LOL. Awesome.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he had said "it's an easy system," I think people here would be complaining that he was putting it down for being like a Pop Warner offense. He can't win for losing.

I believe he's just a smart guy who simply speaks factually/text book as opposed to trying to look for ways to put a positive spin on everything.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The shoulder injuries were killers.

Pennington had a weak arm to begin with, but was able to compensate with smarts and accuracy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't Shotty's plays that were a problem, it was his situational play calling. For example, Shotty Jr would have all 4-5 WR's run 7 yard hook routes on 3rd and 11. Good play, wrong situation and or down and distance. Another example would be, after picking up 8-9 yards on 1st down, he would then call a pass play on second and one (incomplete), a pass play on 3rd and short (incomplete). Now, we're punting on 4th and 1. What happened to running behind Mangold for an easy 1 yard and a first down? Keep the chains moving. Shotty's situational play calling was pretty bad. You never knew if it would take us 3-6 drives to pick up a single first down.

Sparano seems to be the total opposite. A physical style of coaching, but also uses his run game to set up a vertical passing attack down field. Sparano ran an outstanding wildcat formation with Miami. Now we have Tim Tebow as a center piece to a Sparano led wildcat? Might as well call it the Gator, because it'll be extremely tough stopping Tebow behind Nick Mangold on 2nd/3rd and short. Shonn Greene will be used in a physical way, and we could be on the verge of seeing a monster season out of Shonn Greene as well. Sparano also loved using a physical back in R.Williams during his wildcat formations, expect for Greene to play the role of Williams, with Tebow becoming our Ronnie Brown. As a first year starter last season, Greene was less than 40 yards away from cracking the top 10 in rushing. Under a physical Sparano offense? Look for Greene to impact. Look for Sanchez to improve his overall efficiency, because Sparano will use the run to set up the passing attack. Play actions, roll outs, attacking the middle of the field, using our offensive speed to our advantage (McKnight, Kerley, Holmes, Hill) with either HB or WR screens etc, etc.

I think we're on the verge of seeing a well balanced offensive style of play calling this season. If you're expecting Sparano to call 70/30 in favor of the run, or even 60/40, I think you're mistaken. He'll use a physical style of rushing in order to not only set up the pass, but to also put Sanchez in best possible position to succeed. Chad Henne wasn't as athletic as Sanchez, could never sell the play action as well as Sanchez can, could never roll out of the pocket/throw on the run as well as Sanchez... I think Sparano/Sanchez will compliment each other moving forward.

I also love the fact that Sparano is teaching our offense how to not only read opposing defenses, but how to also react in certain situations. He's actually becoming an offense coach for our offense. He's teaching Sanchez the importance of reading a defense pre-snap, followed by changing the play at the L.O.S if need be. He's also giving our WR's the freedom to read the back 7's coverage and/or how their lined up (LB's, CB's, Safety's) while allowing our WR's to hot route back to Sanchez, in order to gain an offensive advantage. For example, if our WR's see CB's lined up 8 yards back? We'll change the route, see Sanchez take a 1 step drop, followed by a very quick pass to our WR's with open space. I can't wait to see this offense take the field.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shoulder injuries were killers.

Pennington had a weak arm to begin with, but was able to compensate with smarts and accuracy.
    If I threw 30 passes/game that were all 10 yards an in, I'd be accurate too.

There were many throws that he just simply could not even attempt. That was a killer.

He was better than most, even after the injuries. I wish he never got injured in the Giants preseason game (hand/wrist). That started the cascade downward.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I threw 30 passes/game that were all 10 yards an in, I'd be accurate too.
    So then why does Sanchez complete barely 50% of his throws? That's all he throws.

Perfect example was the week 17 game against the Phins. Jets driving for winning TD and Greene has 2 yards separation on a LB 5 friggn' yards downfield, yet Sanchez throws the ball 2 yards behind him for another pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So then why does Sanchez complete barely 50% of his throws? That's all he throws.

Perfect example was the week 17 game against the Phins. Jets driving for winning TD and Greene has 2 yards separation on a LB 5 friggn' yards downfield, yet Sanchez throws the ball 2 yards behind him for another pick.
    I have no excuses. I just ate dinner, TX, and it hurts now.

Honestly, Sanchez can make all the throws, for whatever reason the play calling along with his confidence didn't allow for anything other than short passes towards the end of the season..
    Last edited by John_0515; 07-08-2012 at 06:13 PM.