Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 77 of 77

Thread: Interesting Comment on Sparano's O (McElroy)

  1. #61
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonHtsJetFan View Post
    http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/06/...to-normal-now/

    ďItís a difficult system but itís very similar to what we did last year in terms of reads and concepts,Ē he said. ďWeíre running the same plays but with different verbiage.Ē -McElroy

    Is the fan base in general, aware of the parallels that are drawn from the two systems (Sparano, Schotty)? Or were we expecting an entirely new system?
    I feel almost mislead perhaps by the fact that the picture that was drawn was in reality, a horse, as opposed to the sketched chicken.
    So if they're "running the same plays but with different verbiage", what can we expect to be different? Is it all about situation coupled with the potentially countless nuances of each offensive system? I was taken back a bit when I read this, and actually left me a tad uncomfortable. What are your reactions?
    As a long time fan, it's my fervent hope that McElroy's statement is a plant, directed at the pats or the fins. If they believe the playbook hasn't changed, well ... I think we've all talked to death at how different shotty is from Sporano.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInNNJ View Post
    As a long time fan, it's my fervent hope that McElroy's statement is a plant, directed at the pats or the fins. If they believe the playbook hasn't changed, well ... I think we've all talked to death at how different shotty is from Sporano.
    Did you just read the last post? That was Mc explaining further about what he meant. It's the same offense as in there is nothing in one that's not in the other, but this new one will have set plays, rather than each receiver having his route called out in the huddle, so the Sanchez has to remember up to 7 different routes he just called,(that's crazy) and each route will have more freedom. I actually never heard that before. That explains what was meant by complicated. He has to know where each receiver is going to be, when they each are running routes that are individually called on each play. No wonder receivers end up in the same spot. How does Shotty even know how 7 routes are going to compliment eachother...he doesn't.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the money these guys are getting paid, I'd find a way to remember 427 different routes. Geez, if they can't do it then they shouldn't be there.

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    For the money these guys are getting paid, I'd find a way to remember 427 different routes. Geez, if they can't do it then they shouldn't be there.
    I don't care how much they paid you, it wouldn't make you any smarter. I know you're really tough, but f I told you what route 7 guys were going to run and then sent 4 300 lb men to crush you, you wouldn't remember where one of them were going, especially not without having to think about it.

  5. #65
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All we kept hearing was how simplified Sparano's offense was. Just line up and run the play. Less thinking. Then we started hearing about the audibles and site adjustments. Now we are hearing it is the same as Schotty's. So basically we have nothing but contradictions.

    But our OL coach has a SB ring.

    I will wait and see how this offense comes out Week 1. Almost anything would be an upgrade from last year.
    But again, the problem wasn't with Schotty's system. His playcalling in certain situations was awful. His game planning as well

  6. #66
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lost in all the yak

    Is Schotty's need for YAC

    No more 7 yard outs for Holmes.

    Chunk plays are the goal.


    - Great Wise Man

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonHtsJetFan View Post
    http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/06/...to-normal-now/

    ďItís a difficult system but itís very similar to what we did last year in terms of reads and concepts,Ē he said. ďWeíre running the same plays but with different verbiage.Ē -McElroy

    Is the fan base in general, aware of the parallels that are drawn from the two systems (Sparano, Schotty)? Or were we expecting an entirely new system?
    I feel almost mislead perhaps by the fact that the picture that was drawn was in reality, a horse, as opposed to the sketched chicken.
    So if they're "running the same plays but with different verbiage", what can we expect to be different? Is it all about situation coupled with the potentially countless nuances of each offensive system? I was taken back a bit when I read this, and actually left me a tad uncomfortable. What are your reactions?
    this guy needs to shut his pie hole

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    This from Jenny Vrentas Q&A http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...uarterbac.html

    Several players have talked about the verbiage in Sparano's system being simpler than in Brian Schottenheimer's offense. How so?

    You can get in and out of the huddle faster. I think a big part of what Coach Sparano is wanting to do is increase tempo and run more plays, so maybe by having less words, then it really helps as far as getting out of the huddle. Last year, we might tag eight different routes, there’s six or seven different guys on things in the play call, where it would just get a little wordy at times. It’s just a lot easier getting in and out of the huddle and everybody knowing what to do. ... We have just as many plays if not more, but as far as the amount of words that are said in the huddle, it is significantly less.

    Can you give an example of how a call might be simpler for an individual player?

    You might have a combo route, where there is one call on one side and another call on the other side. Or we have maybe just a learned route, where it is one of our staples of our offense we’ll carry week to week, where we call one word and everybody has to know what they’re doing.

    In Sparano's system, quarterbacks must learn the offense from the inside out, starting with protections. Is that different from last year?

    You see it inside out, and that’s the only way to do it. From the front back, and inside out, that’s the best way to do it. Last year there were more concrete rules, as far as maybe a certain protection, that’s what we do; a certain defense, this is the way we want to protect it; a blitz look, this is the way we want to protect it. This year it can be anything at all different times. We can change the line call, we can change a "Mike" point, we can change the route. It’s a lot of freedom from the quarterback's perspective, and it has been really helpful.

    How many questions do you get about what it’s like in the quarterback room with Sanchez and Tebow?

    I get that question a lot, "How great is it working with those guys?" Especially being at Alabama. A lot of my Alabama friends will say, "How great is it working with Tebow now?" considering he’s been competition for us for quite some time. But it’s been great working with them. I’ve really enjoyed it. I look forward to continuing to make some great memories with these guys and continuing to work hard.



    Is this normal to call each route in the huddle, and not to have set plays where the routes compliment each other, and Sanchez knows the combinations inside and out?
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-16-2012 at 07:48 PM.

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    This from Jenny Vrentas Q&A

    Several players have talked about the verbiage in Sparano's system being simpler than in Brian Schottenheimer's offense. How so?

    You can get in and out of the huddle faster. I think a big part of what Coach Sparano is wanting to do is increase tempo and run more plays, so maybe by having less words, then it really helps as far as getting out of the huddle. Last year, we might tag eight different routes, thereís six or seven different guys on things in the play call, where it would just get a little wordy at times. Itís just a lot easier getting in and out of the huddle and everybody knowing what to do. ... We have just as many plays if not more, but as far as the amount of words that are said in the huddle, it is significantly less.

    Can you give an example of how a call might be simpler for an individual player?

    You might have a combo route, where there is one call on one side and another call on the other side. Or we have maybe just a learned route, where it is one of our staples of our offense weíll carry week to week, where we call one word and everybody has to know what theyíre doing.

    In Sparano's system, quarterbacks must learn the offense from the inside out, starting with protections. Is that different from last year?

    You see it inside out, and thatís the only way to do it. From the front back, and inside out, thatís the best way to do it. Last year there were more concrete rules, as far as maybe a certain protection, thatís what we do; a certain defense, this is the way we want to protect it; a blitz look, this is the way we want to protect it. This year it can be anything at all different times. We can change the line call, we can change a "Mike" point, we can change the route. Itís a lot of freedom from the quarterback's perspective, and it has been really helpful.

    How many questions do you get about what itís like in the quarterback room with Sanchez and Tebow?

    I get that question a lot, "How great is it working with those guys?" Especially being at Alabama. A lot of my Alabama friends will say, "How great is it working with Tebow now?" considering heís been competition for us for quite some time. But itís been great working with them. Iíve really enjoyed it. I look forward to continuing to make some great memories with these guys and continuing to work hard.



    Is this normal to call each route in the huddle, and not to have set plays where the routes compliment each other, and Sanchez knows the combinations inside and out?
    This was McElroy?

    It's nice to get a more comprehensive account from him instead of one sentence "sound bites" that seem to be intended to incite controversey leading people to say that McElroy should shut his piehole.

    The kid is smart and I don't think he's here to be a "malcontent." If he were perceived that way by the CS, he'd be gone by now.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    This was McElroy?

    It's nice to get a more comprehensive account from him instead of one sentence "sound bites" that seem to be intended to incite controversey leading people to say that McElroy should shut his piehole.

    The kid is smart and I don't think he's here to be a "malcontent." If he were perceived that way by the CS, he'd be gone by now.
    I think it is. The person references Alabama so it must be him.

    I agree. I think he is a bright kid who understands the position. He came out of a college program which was run like an NFL team.

    I am not surprised that is was Jenny who actually used McElroy's willingness to speak honestly to conduct an insightful interview rather than something that could be used to stir up controversy.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put in a link. Seems to me to finally explain why they couldn't get the plays in, get out of the huddle, and why receivers would end up in the same area. Also explains what was meant by too complicated, while still being simple.

  12. #72
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Sparano's offense is way different than Schottenheimer's. There are parallels in every offense. Blocking schemes, running plays, passing routes. The plays may be similar, but the philosophy of how it's run is the key.

    Will Sparano run a draw on 3rd and 12?

    Will Sparano call a 7 yard route on a 3rd and 8?

    Will Sparano keep running the ball if Greene can't gain more than 1 yard on 10 carries in a row?

    Everything that comes out of McElroy's mouth has a negative undertone on it. He seldom says anything, but when he does there's always a catch.
    Sparano loves the 3rd and 12 draw. Have you seen the fins off ? Wait to you witness the worst time manager in the history of the NFL. The biggest improvement most fins fans will say the team made compared to last year,ridding themselves of sparano

  13. #73
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Sparano loves the 3rd and 12 draw. Have you seen the fins off ? Wait to you witness the worst time manager in the history of the NFL. The biggest improvement most fins fans will say the team made compared to last year,ridding themselves of sparano
    They didn't make a single improvement... And every fan trashes a coach who leaves... But Fin fans especially... They're all fuggin' dumb...

  14. #74
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    They didn't make a single improvement... And every fan trashes a coach who leaves... But Fin fans especially... They're all fuggin' dumb...
    The point is Sparano never improved the o-line(even though he drafted two 1st rounders and signed countless high priced free agents,never developed a qb(killed Henne). Look at how great the phins played after Sparano gave up his control of the offense in week 6. I really believe the Jets brass thought they were getting Haley and Sparano yet were stuck with the weakest link. The funniest thing is Sparano knows little about the wildcat,the guy who set it up in Miami is David Lee who is in Buffalo, Maybe we need factcheck.org for this web site

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Sparano loves the 3rd and 12 draw. Have you seen the fins off ? Wait to you witness the worst time manager in the history of the NFL. The biggest improvement most fins fans will say the team made compared to last year,ridding themselves of sparano
    LOL.

    I have moderate expectations for Sparano, but I think it is funny how some people think he is going to be a savior for the offense like he is one of the great offensive minds in the game. He is a fired HC looking to resurrect his career. And before that he was an OL coach. He is not a distinguished play caller by any stretch.

    It will all come down to the OL and Sanchez. If we can run the ball, which I think we are going to do a lot of, then that will make everything easier. Sounds obvious, but that is what needs to happen. If the players execute, Sparano will look like a savior, if they don't, we will be cursing him just like we did Schotty.

    I think his biggest contribution to the offense will be his attitude and work ethic, and that might be enough to get us going in the right direction again. But in terms of play calling and design, I don't think he will be anything to write home about. I think their goal is to have a boring offense that is efficient and can execute.

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

    I have moderate expectations for Sparano, but I think it is funny how some people think he is going to be a savior for the offense like he is one of the great offensive minds in the game. He is a fired HC looking to resurrect his career. And before that he was an OL coach. He is not a distinguished play caller by any stretch.

    It will all come down to the OL and Sanchez. If we can run the ball, which I think we are going to do a lot of, then that will make everything easier. Sounds obvious, but that is what needs to happen. If the players execute, Sparano will look like a savior, if they don't, we will be cursing him just like we did Schotty.

    I think his biggest contribution to the offense will be his attitude and work ethic, and that might be enough to get us going in the right direction again. But in terms of play calling and design, I don't think he will be anything to write home about. I think their goal is to have a boring offense that is efficient and can execute.
    That's exactly what I want. They need to take a few shots, but mostly I want to eliminate the turnovers, and the three and outs. He was an OC a couple years.Romo, and Chad looked pretty good running his offense, but your right. He didn't stay in that roll I believe because his real skills, are as you said, in motivation, and organization of others. That's exactly what this (Rex')team needs. Someone that can be the head coach of the offense, and make everyone accountable. Just get everyone moving in the same direction. The anti Schotty.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.

  17. #77
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

    I have moderate expectations for Sparano, but I think it is funny how some people think he is going to be a savior for the offense like he is one of the great offensive minds in the game. He is a fired HC looking to resurrect his career. And before that he was an OL coach. He is not a distinguished play caller by any stretch.

    It will all come down to the OL and Sanchez. If we can run the ball, which I think we are going to do a lot of, then that will make everything easier. Sounds obvious, but that is what needs to happen. If the players execute, Sparano will look like a savior, if they don't, we will be cursing him just like we did Schotty.

    I think his biggest contribution to the offense will be his attitude and work ethic, and that might be enough to get us going in the right direction again. But in terms of play calling and design, I don't think he will be anything to write home about. I think their goal is to have a boring offense that is efficient and can execute.
    We all want that 1998 offense - Jap plays and all. ALL OF IT.

    that's why we think SparanO will fit the bill here in '12.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us