Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: National Teacher of the Year: 'The revolution begins with us'

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I will add that education seems to be the ONLY "two way relationship, between taxpayers who pay" of all the professions with too much power given to those outside the classroom with other agendas disregarding what is best for children.
    And the rest of the objective world recognizes that there are plenty of folks inside the classroom with other agendas disregarding what is best for children as well. No matter how much denial you're in about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    And the rest of the objective world recognizes that there are plenty of folks inside the classroom with other agendas disregarding what is best for children as well. No matter how much denial you're in about it.
    I don't think that many people are disregarding what is best, I think that they have molded their idea of "what is best" to their agenda and beliefs.

And the rest of the intelligent populace recognizes that the politicians may also have a separate agenda as well besides going after the teachers only to save the economy and foster better education They realize that taking the teeth out of the unions also weaken their political opponents who traditionally get support from them.

Those same politicians even manage to keep a straight face on corporate television when they state that unions need to be stopped because they manipulate the democratic process knowing all along how many corporate entities do the exact same thing. And those politicians benefit greatly from that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    People from Africa speak better English then some folks here.
    I agree. Rural Southerners have a horrible grasp on the English language. They all sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs

GET A DOG, LITTLE AUGIE!! YEE-HAW!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    And the rest of the intelligent populace recognizes that the politicians may also have a separate agenda as well besides going after the teachers only to save the economy and foster better education They realize that taking the teeth out of the unions also weaken their political opponents who traditionally get support from them.

Those same politicians even manage to keep a straight face on corporate television when they state that unions need to be stopped because they manipulate the democratic process knowing all along how many corporate entities do the exact same thing. And those politicians benefit greatly from that.
    Actually, intelligent people realize this has already been stated and agreed with.

Try to keep up.

The rest of the world is getting their information from media like FOX and Ruppert Murdock who would love to bring down the teachers union so they could cut budget and have technology teach kids instead of humans.

Totally ONE SIDED view so politicians can move the money to protect the wealthy all the while deamonizing the teacher proffesion.

It goes along with much of what is wrong with American society, they care and protect very little when it comes to the value of education and culture.
    Last edited by copernicus; 07-13-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    The rest of the world is getting their information from media like FOX and Ruppert Murdock who would love to bring down the teachers union so they could cut budget and have technology teach kids instead of humans.
    LOL. So predictable. FYI - I get nothing from FOX or Rupert Murdoch other than some sports coverage and a lot of LOLs. And where are you getting your "unbiased" information from?

Are you saying that there's no chance that any teachers or unions have any alterior motives, ever? That their only interest in any of this is the children?

If you believe that, PM me about a bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn.

LOL. So predictable. FYI - I get nothing from FOX or Rupert Murdoch other than some sports coverage and a lot of LOLs.
    You go to FOX for sports?

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Careful how you answer tater.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Last I checked, FOX is where about half of the NFL games are broadcast, the baseball game of the week, All Star game, ALCS, World Series. I'll take in a match on Fox Soccer or hoops on their assorted college broadcasts once in a while too.

I'll also read Murdoch's Sports section (NY Post), as it's usually the best paper coverage of NY sports (at least for Yankees stuff).

[
    Last I checked, FOX is where about half of the NFL games are broadcast,
    yeah,....NFC

the baseball game of the week
    you mean the blackout game!

All Star game
    meh

ALCS, World Series
    okay, I see your point

I'll take in a match on Fox Soccer
    and you lost me, what is this soccer you speak of?

Jets Insider VIP

yeah,....NFC
    You don't watch NFC games? I watch any game I can when home. And FYI, unless you'll be with us at the games, the Jets play two on FOX this year.

you mean the blackout game!
    Yankees play several FOX games every year in the NY market

and you lost me, what is this soccer you speak of?
    It's among the greatest spectator sports in the world, behind football, baseball, hockey, college basketball and perhaps women's volleyball.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I agree. Rural Southerners have a horrible grasp on the English language. They all sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs

GET A DOG, LITTLE AUGIE!! YEE-HAW!!

In fact, English spoken in the South is the way the people of England actually spoke the language.
    Not much dees and dose or fugetabotit.
    Perhaps too much time stuck in Western NY to see what's going on out there?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    In fact, English spoken in the South is the way the people of England actually spoke the language.
    Not much dees and dose or fugetabotit.
    Perhaps too much time stuck in Western NY to see what's going on out there?
    Western NY accents? Ugh. "What's haaaapenin'?"

Almost as bad as Boston (you know, the uber-intellectuals that only use 25 letters of our alphabet).

You don't watch NFC games? I watch any game I can when home. And FYI, unless you'll be with us at the games, the Jets play two on FOX this year.

Yankees play several FOX games every year in the NY market

It's among the greatest spectator sports in the world, behind football, baseball, hockey, college basketball and perhaps women's volleyball.
    yah, I'm just kidding around, when you first said "sports on FOX" I was thinking..FOX news has a sports desk? I wasn't thinking FOX to watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    How come that doesn't work in the inner city. Most are as dumb as they started school. No wonder they cant find jobs! Besides that we spend trillions every year on public education and we are the laughing stock of the civilized world. People from Africa speak better English then some folks here.
    When we have teachers like this fcktard it not a wonder. Can't speak English, Doesn't know one of the basic tenant of the bill of rights or civics. yet she teaches our children!!! affirmative action at work!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ygpg-ExAA

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Whats the problem with National-Set Minimums?

We seem fine with that in many other aspects of our Citizen-to-Government relationships. Why not in education, don't we want every American educated to the same degree, and not a mish-mash of differing education standards (i.e. much room to do a worse job and call it "localism" or some other excuse for poor performance and poor education)?

I also hear many complaints that fringe subjects, like Art, have taken a hit due to the current system. Look, I love Art and Music personally, but wouldn't Art Education be alot like Plastic surgery in a National State Healthcare system, an extra, a choice, not a core requirement of coverage?

Reading. Writing. Math. Personal Finance. Home Economics. Personal Wellbeing/Health/Basic Biology (i.e. Sex Ed from a Science,. not Moral, Position). History. Science.

There are core items every person needs to know to some degree or another to be a functional human being in modern society. History being the least needed of that group of course.

Art? It's nice, I enjoyed it, but it's not a core to education. If something needs cut to meet the other req's, why not Art or similar "fluff" type subjects?
    well I know You will slam me for this but from what I have learned, I don't consider art fluff, I wish I had the time to send you some things I have read, but art and music tap into parts of the brain that other subjects don't.

The brain skills you learn in art and music need to be exercised just as much when you are young as math and English. studies show that kids with exposure to art and math do better in all other subjects.

Besides that, I make my living as a graphic designer, There are many careers where and art or music background is important. for me I could have done without every math class after 6th grade tbh.

I understand where you are coming from, there are limited funds so maybe we need to cut to the core. we just disagree within what that core should be I guess.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    well I know You will slam me for this but from what I have learned, I don't consider art fluff, I wish I had the time to send you some things I have read, but art and music tap into parts of the brain that other subjects don't.

The brain skills you learn in art and music need to be exercised just as much when you are young as math and English. studies show that kids with exposure to art and math do better in all other subjects.

Besides that, I make my living as a graphic designer, There are many careers where and art or music background is important. for me I could have done without every math class after 6th grade tbh.

I understand where you are coming from, there are limited funds so maybe we need to cut to the core. we just disagree within what that core should be I guess.

Agree fully.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Agree fully.
    I don't, not in full. Those studies are done by the same types of folks trying to defend their own existence on the public dollar. There is a built in bias to come to a certain outcome in such testing.

Look, I LOVE Art and Music, more than most tbqh in my real life. I'll never be criticial of those who choose to persue an interest in art and music.

But art and music are extras to basic education, not primaries. Art and music should not come before math, reading, writing and a few other basic-life-skills every citizen requires. If you teach a child about art before you teach him about basic bookkeeping, you've done him and all of us a disservice in the name of enlightenment.

For me, it's not an either ot argument. It's a priority argument, teach X, Y and Z first, and do it right, and IF you can fit in Q afterwards, by all means, do so. But if you fail to teach X, Y and Z BECAUSE you're teachign Q, then that is a sad failure to properly prioritize.

Art and music can and should also be persued outside, above, and beyond basic public education, by parents. If parents fail, thats not on the education system either.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I don't, not in full. Those studies are done by the same types of folks trying to defend their own existence on the public dollar. There is a built in bias to come to a certain outcome in such testing.

Look, I LOVE Art and Music, more than most tbqh in my real life. I'll never be criticial of those who choose to persue an interest in art and music.

But art and music are extras to basic education, not primaries. Art and music should not come before math, reading, writing and a few other basic-life-skills every citizen requires. If you teach a child about art before you teach him about basic bookkeeping, you've done him and all of us a disservice in the name of enlightenment.

For me, it's not an either ot argument. It's a priority argument, teach X, Y and Z first, and do it right, and IF you can fit in Q afterwards, by all means, do so. But if you fail to teach X, Y and Z BECAUSE you're teachign Q, then that is a sad failure to properly prioritize.

Art and music can and should also be persued outside, above, and beyond basic public education, by parents. If parents fail, thats not on the education system either.
    Agree to disagree. Just from my own life, math and science did nothing for me. Still don't once you get past balancing my checkbook. I still have now idea why I was forced to learn algebra. If is wasn't for music and art I may have said screw it.

so I studied those so called extras, and now make a great living because of one of them.
    Last edited by FF2; 07-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.