Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Offensive Rookie Studs/Sleepers

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    He was my borderline 3rd pick, along with Gayle Sayers.

OJ was a great RB in the NFL.
    C'Mon Tx, you know you want to pick Jim Thorpe. You know it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Emmit Smith was a beneficiary of the great Dallas OLine when he played.

Walter Peyton was probably the best, most elusive RB outside the tackles, couldn't run inside the tackles if his life depended on it.

Mentioning LT in a conversation about the top 3 RB's in the history of the NFL is absurd. He was the softest RB ever to play the game.
    Barry sanders belongs in the conversation. ( if he played with that Cowboy oline no one would have ever match the numbers he would have put up)

JMO I would never put Emmit Smith in my top six.(that just me)

1 JIm Brown

2 Barry Sanders

3 OJ simpson
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Too many to name during the first three rounds, including our very own Stephen Hill. I like Lamar Miller as a 4th round sleeper, running back drafted by the Dolphins out of Miami University. Miami may have Reggie Bush, Steve Slayton and Daniel Thomas ahead of rookie Lamar Miller on the depth chart, but I can picture Miller becoming more of a featured back for Miami at 5'11/212 pounds. Last season, this kid became the first Miami running back since Willis McGahee in 2002 to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season. I believe he'll impact this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zheo__712gI
    T-Rich will be right up there. He's in a good position and environment to showcase his talents early and often.

Our own Thrill Hill will have his chance to shine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    T-Rich will be right up there. He's in a good position and environment to showcase his talents early and often.

Our own Thrill Hill will have his chance to shine
    I agree on both counts. I myself have Trent Richardson as my Offensive Rookie of the Year. Trent Richardson is the closest thing to Adrian Peterson coming out of college since Adrian Peterson himself. I simply love this kid's style of rushing attack.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on both counts. I myself have Trent Richardson as my Offensive Rookie of the Year. Trent Richardson is the closest thing to Adrian Peterson coming out of college since Adrian Peterson himself. I simply love this kid's style of rushing attack.
    JMO Trent Richardson is overrated somewhat. He's not even in the conversation with A Peterson as a player. NOw here is the reason why I don't like Trent Richardson as rookie of the year. Do you see the Oline blocking for him with The Browns. LT Joe thomas is a great pass protector but he makes Dbrickshaw ferguson look like a dominant run blocker in comparison to him. Who else they have on that oline that's going to open the holes for richardson to exploit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been plenty of all-time great running backs with amazing offensive lines. Barry Sanders has been the only running back to dominate the game without strong offensive lines. Lets not discredit Emmitt Smith's rushing accomplishments due to powerful offensive lines. Emmitt is the all-time leading rusher in both rushing yards as well as rushing TD's. The Browns offensive lines of the 50's-60's were also great. OJ Simpson rushed behind monster Buffalo offensive lines of the 70's.

And Walter Payton? Rushed behind some of the greatest Chicago offensive lines of all-time. Hilgenberg was a seven time All-Pro and seven time Pro Bowl selection, anchoring the middle of an outstanding offensive line in the middle of the 1980’s. Van Horne didn’t go to Pro Bowl and wasn’t named an All-Pro, but he was a rock on the line for the Bears for a long time and was even part of that Super Bowl winning unit in 1985. Another one is Covert, who went to the Pro Bowl twice during his career and was eventually selected to the 1980’s All-Decade Team. Etc, etc. Payton has top of the line offensive lines as well.

Emmitt Smith is the all-time leading rusher in both rushing yards and rushing TD's. He's without question, one of the greatest backs off All-Time. Anyone who says otherwise (due to an offensive line) obviously never seen the way Smith rushed the football. Patience, amazing field vision, unstoppable to contain once breaking off into the open field, endurance, agility, explosive burst etc, etc. He was amazing. Discrediting Smith for his rushing accomplishments (due to his offensive line(s) would be just as foolish as discrediting Jerry Rice as the greatest WR of all-time, due to the fact that Rice played with the greatest QB of all-time in Joe Montana and another HOF QB in Steve Young.

Lots of RB's have been blessed with amazing offensive lines, not just the Cowboys of the 1990's; Emmitt Smith just used his offensive lineman and/or did it better than anyone else.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    JMO Trent Richardson is overrated somewhat. He's not even in the conversation with A Peterson as a player. NOw here is the reason why I don't like Trent Richardson as rookie of the year. Do you see the Oline blocking for him with The Browns. LT Joe thomas is a great pass protector but he makes Dbrickshaw ferguson look like a dominant run blocker in comparison to him. Who else they have on that oline that's going to open the holes for richardson to exploit.
    I'm not saying that he's the next coming of AP or even on AP's level. I've made it known time and time again, Peterson is one of my all-time favorites. I loved Barry and thought the world of Emmitt, but this guy's combination of size, speed and power is remarkable. I just love Richardson's style of rushing and also love the fact that he dominated the SEC; home of some of the fastest/greatest college defenses in the nation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since PatsFanTx is quick to discredit Smith as a running back, due to amazing Dallas Cowboys offensive lines... Maybe as Jet fans, we should discredit coach Belichick as the loser he always was with Cleveland before getting lucky with Brady, or even discredit Welker as an all-time great slot WR due to the fact that Welker has been blessed with one of the greatest All-Time QB's of All-Time in Tom Brady.

Discredit Emmitt Smith's accomplishments due to an amazing offensive line, and I'll discredit everything Patriots related due to one of (if not) the greatest QB's of All-Time in Tom Brady.

Goes both ways. See how foolish that sounds?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since PatsFanTx is quick to discredit Smith as a running back, due to amazing Dallas Cowboys offensive lines... Maybe as Jet fans, we should discredit coach Belichick as the loser he always was with Cleveland before getting lucky with Brady, or even discredit Welker as an all-time great slot WR due to the fact that Welker has been blessed with one of the greatest All-Time QB's of All-Time in Tom Brady.

Discredit Emmitt Smith's accomplishments due to an amazing offensive line, and I'll discredit everything Patriots related due to one of (if not) the greatest QB's of All-Time in Tom Brady.

JMO Emmitt Smith couldn't hold Barry sanders jock strap. I don't care what the stats say if you watched both play at the top of their games. There was no doubt who the better runner was.( I don't think any NFL defender ever got a big hit on Barry sanders)

B sanders 3062 career carries for 15,269 5.0 average
    versus
    Emmitt Smith 4,409 carries for 18,355 yards 4.2 average.
    No one can make the case that detriot oline was even in the class of the Cowboys oline. Lets see emmitt smith had 1,347 more carries than sanders(retire at top of his game) with 3086 more yards . B sanders would have had to average a measely 2.3 yard per carry to beat Smith.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

yes you sound very foolish.

TX makes a point about a running back and you go off on Belichick?

You're a tool.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    C'Mon Tx, you know you want to pick Jim Thorpe. You know it.
    Hey Vinny, go eat a F****** stale calzone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    JMO Emmitt Smith couldn't hold Barry sanders jock strap. I don't care what the stats say if you watched both play at the top of their games. There was no doubt who the better runner was.( I don't think any NFL defender ever got a big hit on Barry sanders)

B sanders 3062 career carries for 15,269 5.0 average
    versus
    Emmitt Smith 4,409 carries for 18,355 yards 4.2 average.
    No one can make the case that detriot oline was even in the class of the Cowboys oline. Lets see emmitt smith had 1,347 more carries than sanders(retire at top of his game) with 3086 more yards . B sanders would have had to average a measely 2.3 yard per carry to beat Smith.
    What are you talking about? I've made it known, time and time again, that in my eyes? Barry Sanders in the Michael Jordan of the RB position; the greatest back of All-Time. I've never seen a back as great as Barry and still haven't seen a back as great as #20; that doesn't change the fact that Emmitt Smith is still an All-Time great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since PatsFanTx is quick to discredit Smith as a running back, due to amazing Dallas Cowboys offensive lines.
    Who the hell are you to comment on Jim Brown, Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders versus Emmitt Smith?

You were nothing but a friggn' rap sperm cell when they played.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barry Sanders in the Michael Jordan of the RB position; the greatest back of All-Time.
    Both Jim Brown and Earl Campbell were much better RB's than Barry Sanders.

Not even a point worth argueing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Umm no. But this post does.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both Jim Brown and Earl Campbell were much better RB's than Barry Sanders.

Not even a point worth argueing.
    I never saw Jim Brown play but Earl Campbell?

You can't be serious?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I never saw Jim Brown play but Earl Campbell?

You can't be serious?
    Seriously Jordy?

There was never a RB in the NFL that had Campbell's speed, explosiveness, and the pure ability to run over defenders like Earl Campbell.

And I know you saw him play.

You must have watched Campbell play with RamRod's glasses.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Tex would agree with you. Welker or any pats player would not be considered all time greats and simply because of Brady who will be one of the all time top 3 QB,s easily if not the best when it's all said and done. I have the same opinion of Emmit as I think he benefited most from his ability to stay healthy and having that O line ahead of him. His 4.2 ypc is not very impressive.
    I don't have Emmit on my top 3 list. I will list my top 10 for craps and giggles
    1.Barry Sanders
    2.Jim Brown
    3.Walter Payton
    4.Gale Sayers
    5.Earl Campbell
    6.O.J.
    7.Eric Dickerson
    8.Emmit Smith
    9.L.T.
    10.Marshall Faulk

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously Jordy?

There was never a RB in the NFL that had Campbell's speed, explosiveness, and the pure ability to run over defenders like Earl Campbell.

And I know you saw him play.

You must have watched Campbell play with RamRod's glasses.
    How you you compare him to Doak walker?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    How you you compare him to Doak walker?
    Go eat a f****** stale calzone with Vinny.