Thread: New Malware To Cause Worldwide Internet Blackout on July 9.....POSSIBLY

Jets Insider VIP

Exclamation New Malware To Cause Worldwide Internet Blackout on July 9.....POSSIBLY

Here's what you need to know -

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...on-july-9-2012

A new Trojan called DNS Changer Malware is possibly going to cause a worldwide "Internet Blackout" starting July 9, 2012, according to the Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI).

In November of 2011, the FBI arrested six Estonian residents as being part of cybercriminals who have successfully found a way to introduce the DNS Changer Malware into a huge number of computer networks worldwide estimated to be totalling around 570,000.

The said hackers managed to take advantage of Microsoft Windows' antivirus system vulnerabilities by modifying the DNS servers of several networks into the ones that have the rogue servers on and manage to earn illegal money in the tune of around $14 million due to fake and unsecured Web advertisements, according to the FBI.

The FBI believes that on the day of the arrests, at least 568,000 unique Internet addresses were using the rogue servers. The FBI used some temporary government computer systems and set up safety nets to prevent Internet disruptions to all those affected computers. Apparently, there's a legal side to it that mandate the use of government computers to be shut down by July 9, 2012, giving opportunities for this DNS Changer Malware to lose containment and to spread like wildfires again.

Meanwhile, a leading technology and gadgets news site has already reported this problem a few months back way before it become mainstream in the news as of late. The site offers helpful informations and tips on what computer users can do regarding this menacing DNS Changer Malware. You may want to read that site's report here.

Bottom line is, many people around the world are still unaware of this impending global Internet problem that's issued by the FBI. Computer users worldwide still have time to prevent and correct the problem until July 8 at 12 midnight. The clock is ticking. It's better to stay afloat with all these warnings than to feel sorry in the end, don't you think? Please share this to all of your family, your friends, as well as your neighbors, as a public service of good will. Trust me, they'll be glad you did if this whole "Internet Blackout" thing turns out to be true.

A quick way to check if you're affected -

Go to http://www.dns-ok.us

If it comes back green, then you're ok (at least your PC is)

Veteran
    That's scary!

Thanks for the post, fish!

570,000... Drop in the bucket...

Get a Mac.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Green, good to go. Must not affected pron sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

A quick way to check if you're affected -

Go to http://www.dns-ok.us

If it comes back green, then you're ok (at least your PC is)
    I'm green....thanks for the tip.

SAR I

All League
    If the US govt is able to suss it out then it can't be much of a threat. Evil Estonians threatening world peas? Truly? Sounds more like Keystone cops uncovering Keystone perps. The FBI, once you get past its original mission of being a security force for politicians, is pretty much a joke...mall cops in three piece suits. Their intelligence gathering and analytic skillz are notoriously weak. I know a few FBI guys socially and to a man they all say they hate their jobs and that the agency sux.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 07-09-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    If the US govt is able to suss it out then it can't be much of a threat. Evil Estonians threatening world peas? Truly? Sounds more like Keystone cops uncovering Keystone perps. The FBI, once you get past its original mission of being a security force for politicians, is pretty much a joke...mall cops in three piece suits. Their intelligence gathering and analytic skillz are notoriously weak. I know a few FBI guys socially and to a man they all say they hate their jobs and that the agency sux.

Wow, why so dooshy? I'm just passing it along bro....

Jets Insider VIP
    I heard this malware will only attack computers that have accessed the Landing Strip.

definitely

Sounds like a Peter King MMQB article.

MAYBE.

Jets Insider VIP
    At least they weren't Latvian.

All Pro
    Mayan prediction > Interwebz meltdwon > remotes missing > zombie 'coons. Fish, your world is crumbling. Pretty soon you and southside will be sharing the Manischewitz out of teh paper bag.

typical "I know a guy who knows a guy" BS story.

I hereby call you out for being a doosh, and declare your post to be full of suck and pfail.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    At least they weren't "Latvian."
    Fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    I got hit by the virus - typed in jetsinsider.com and it took me to a Pats site with a bunch of Jets trolls pissing off doofus Pats fans.....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    typical "I know a guy who knows a guy" BS story.

I hereby call you out for being a doosh, and declare your post to be full of suck and pfail.
    Read the article. Most of it's not even proper English. My cat can construct better sentences.

The said hackers managed to take advantage of Microsoft Windows' antivirus system vulnerabilities by modifying the DNS servers of several networks into the ones that have the rogue servers on and manage to earn illegal money in the tune of around $14 million due to fake and unsecured Web advertisements, according to the FBI.
    Meanwhile, a leading technology and gadgets news site has already reported this problem a few months back way before it become mainstream in the news as of late. The site offers helpful informations and tips on what computer users can do regarding this menacing DNS Changer Malware.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh boy. CNN reporting actual outages now.

Seems the malware is spread by visiting certain sites like http://www.dns-ok.us

As long as you avoid websites like the above you should be good!

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Oh boy. CNN reporting actual outages now.

Seems the malware is spread by visiting certain sites like http://www.dns-ok.us

As long as you avoid websites like the above you should be good!
    WARNING! WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! THREAD DERAIL! THREAD DERAIL!

Jets Insider VIP
    Read the article. Most of it's not even proper English. My cat can construct better sentences.

It's the first link I pulled, it's all over the news if you care to look up 'malware monday' Unfortunately for us it appears that you're not affected.