Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees First Half

Yankees First Half

Best record in baseball, 7 game lead in the division.

Can't ask for more than that can you?

Veteran
    Great first half, hoping for a healthy return from CC and eventually Andy...and if we get something from Joba in the pen, it will be sweet...

Hall Of Fame
    Can't ask for much more than that. They have been hit with some bad injuries and have still managed to win. The bench and the bullpen have been great. Jones, Chavez and Ibanez. Who else has a bench like that? 28 HRs from those guys.

And I like that the there is some bad blood again between the Yanks and BoSox. Things have gotten a little stagnant the past 4 years or so.

All Pro
    I really can't believe how good they have been playing.

Losing Mo could have been a catastrophic blow but Soriano has stepped up and pitched like he did in Tampa.

Nobody could ask for more from the Yankees at this point. The question is, can they keep it up?

If the homerun parade slows down at all, they could be in a little trouble. I just hate that they rely on the longball so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's shocking considering how poorly they hit with RISP.

That's what a ton of homers, really good starting pitching, dominant bullpen and a deep bench get you.

Still, I worry about this team in the playoffs. They really need to show an ability to rally for runs when needed.

Andruw Jones with 11 home runs in 127 at bats.

Jets Insider VIP
    By the way, I'll say it:

Eric Chavez > Alex Rodriguez

Hall Of Fame
    I hear you guys buy I will worry about how they are going to hit in the postseason once they get there.

Until then, I hope they keep crushing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    By the way, I'll say it:

Eric Chavez > Alex Rodriguez
    I hope that's sarcasm....

Obviously A-Rod is better than Chavez.. but it's much closer than it should be.

Outside of probably Barry Zito, A-Rod might have the worst contract in baseball. 5 and half more seasons left on his contract.

2013:$28M, 2014:$25M, 2015:$21M, 2016:$20M, 2017:$20M

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post

Outside of probably Barry Zito, A-Rod might have the worst contract in baseball. 5 and half more seasons left on his contract.

While I was being a little sarcastic, no, it isn't very obvious.

While I realize he has far fewer at bats, given what they make, the fact that Chavez is better defensively, has a higher AVG, SLG, OPS, HR rate, RBI rate, RC27, and their leadership/social skills, a case could be made that at worst they should be in a platoon situation. Just given who they are as human beings, even if Chavez produced half of what ARod does these days, I'd prefer as a Yankee fan to watch him every day over that doofus.

Now obviously a full platoon would never happen, simply because of the name and the contract, but people need to realize that ARod is no longer ARod. He is a shell of what he once was. Average production for elite money. That contract is nothing but a disaster. Girardi doesn't have the balls to do it, but if Joe Maddon were here, you know he would.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    While I was being a little sarcastic, no, it isn't very obvious.

While I realize he has far fewer at bats, given what they make, the fact that Chavez is better defensively, has a higher AVG, SLG, OPS, HR rate, RBI rate, RC27, and their leadership/social skills, a case could be made that at worst they should be in a platoon situation. Just given who they are as human beings, even if Chavez produced half of what ARod does these days, I'd prefer as a Yankee fan to watch him every day over that doofus.

Now obviously a full platoon would never happen, simply because of the name and the contract, but people need to realize that ARod is no longer ARod. He is a shell of what he once was. Average production for elite money. That contract is nothing but a disaster. Girardi doesn't have the balls to do it, but if Joe Maddon were here, you know he would.
    A-rod's contract is brutal, and when he opted out in, what was it, 2006? I wanted to let him walk.

Having said that there really is no comparison though offensively between Chavez and A-Rod, and because of the part-time nature of Chavez we don't get to see how he would be through an entire season (which he hasn't done since 2006). No doubt a full season would produce something like .240avg, 15HR, 70RBI. He would have a lot of slumps and probably be more injury prone. Just look at his recent history. He is younger than A-Rod and yetRplays like he is older than him.

Chavez for his career including this year is basically a lesser version of A-rod, not the player he once was and probably used PEDs while in Oakland.

A-Rod will probably finish out his career as a .275avg, 25HR 100RBI 15SB guy, which out of 3B you will have to live with. He should probably hit 6th from here on out.

A-Rod is just really unlikeable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    A-rod's contract is brutal, and when he opted out in, what was it, 2006? I wanted to let him walk.

Having said that there really is no comparison though offensively between Chavez and A-Rod, and because of the part-time nature of Chavez we don't get to see how he would be through an entire season (which he hasn't done since 2006). No doubt a full season would produce something like .240avg, 15HR, 70RBI. He would have a lot of slumps and probably be more injury prone. Just look at his recent history. He is younger than A-Rod and yetRplays like he is older than him.

Chavez for his career including this year is basically a lesser version of A-rod, not the player he once was and probably used PEDs while in Oakland.

A-Rod will probably finish out his career as a .275avg, 25HR 100RBI 15SB guy, which out of 3B you will have to live with. He should probably hit 6th from here on out.

A-Rod is just really unlikeable.
    You're mostly right, but I still would give anything to see ARod out of a Yankee uniform. Still praying for an asteroid big enough to crush his head to hit earth.

Why Girardi insists on batting ARod 4th is beyond comprehension. Tex, Swisher, Granderson and Cano are all far better run producers.

What I'd like to see in the 2nd half lineups (most days)

Gardner
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Granderson
    Swisher
    Arod
    Ibanez
    Martin

Against tough lefties, you work Jones in, and I'd like to see Nunez come back up and get some DH ABs. I like having him or Gardner always in the lineup for a consistent speed threat.

Hall Of Fame

That contract was based on not only ARods on the field value but his value off the field to the Yankees.

- The Yankees had never drawn 4 million fans before ARod.
    - YES Network ratings and ad revenue since ARod became a Yankee.
    - The marketing of his pursuit for the All-time HR record (which has since been rendered useless b.c of the steroid admission).

ARod has already paid for himself. There are a lot more things that go into player's contracts than what they produce on the field. A player's worth to a franchise is much broader than that if they are a player like ARod or Jeter.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/yankatte.shtml
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/21224927/Scott_Boras_Calls_Back
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That contract was based on not only ARods on the field value but his value off the field to the Yankees.

- The Yankees had never drawn 4 million fans before ARod.
    - YES Network ratings and ad revenue since ARod became a Yankee.
    - The marketing of his pursuit for the All-time HR record (which has since been rendered useless b.c of the steroid admission).

ARod has already paid for himself. There are a lot more things that go into player's contracts than what they produce on the field. A player's worth to a franchise is much broader than that if they are a player like ARod or Jeter.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/yankatte.shtml
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/21224927/Scott_Boras_Calls_Back
    Ok, Boras.

It doesn't matter what revenue he's generated to this point. Going forward, he just takes up space towards the luxury tax, prevents the Yankees from acquiring other talent (which may swing the ad revenue down again), and frankly wastes a roster space on the least likable guy in the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Based on this year, you may be overly generous with those expectations of numbers moving forward.

He has 24 (TWENTY FOUR) extra base hits this year. That is hard to fathom.

Best record in baseball, 7 game lead in the division.

Can't ask for more than that can you?
    Much, much better than I expected. Have to hand it to the pitching, particularly the starters. I expected the bullpen to be real good, I was much more concerned with the starters. They have, for the most part, been exceptional.

As for the Yanks being so homer oriented I would'nt worry about that too much. Hopefully Gardner will return soon and will likely start putting up those scratch runs. Without him, and Nunez, they really don't have much speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Based on this year, you may be overly generous with those expectations of numbers moving forward.

he has 13 home runs already, thinking he could hit another 12 is not exactly impossible.

On the Yankees he will get the opportunity to knock in around 85-100 runs every year if he hits in the 4-5-6 hole.

yeesh, people act like half a season of numbers is the penultimate measure of a baseball players output.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post

lol

Tell me what you think AROD will end up with and I'll bump this thread at the end of the year and laugh at you... Assuming he's on the field for the 2nd half, that is...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

he has 13 home runs already, thinking he could hit another 12 is not exactly impossible.

On the Yankees he will get the opportunity to knock in around 85-100 runs every year if he hits in the 4-5-6 hole.

yeesh, people act like half a season of numbers is the penultimate measure of a baseball players output.
    Not only is he not hitting home runs like he used to, he is not driving the ball like he used to. 11 doubles? That is worse than a shortstops production.

If for some reason you think his bat will magically increase in speed, have at it.

And this is no knock on ARod, this is normal for ANY player in the non steroid era.