Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez unable to throw last year?

Sanchez unable to throw last year?

Plaxico: Sanchez injury held him back

As Mark Sanchez gets started at his "Jets West" camp in California, his former wide receiver, Plaxico Burress, weighed in on the health of his former quarterback and why he may have thrown so few long passes last season.

“He definitely has enough arm,” Burress said in an interview with WFAN radio on Monday. “He was battling some injuries last year, shoulder-wise that a lot of people didn’t know about ... different things like that. But I think he really turned a corner.”

Burress has not signed with another team yet, and the market for veteran wide receivers seems to be constricting. So is the wide receiver just trying to excuse his own lack of production last season by pointing to his quarterback? Possibly, but there are some statistics that might be useful in vetting his comments.

In recent years the Jets have been cagey about injuries to their quarterbacks’ throwing arms. In 2008, Brett Favre revealed a persistent shoulder injury at the end of the season. In 2010, Sanchez’s shoulder was an ongoing storyline, and at the end of the season he opted against surgery.

Last season, Sanchez was not on the injury report for his shoulder, but had a neck injury listed in Week 15 and Week 16 that affected his throwing ability.

Sanchez only completed five passes longer than 21 yards all season. After the Nov. 17 loss in Denver, Sanchez was believed to have pinched a nerve in his neck. At any rate, his passing game suffered. He ended with 26 touchdowns and 18 interceptions for a 78.2 quarterback rating.

As an aside, ESPN Stats & Information analyzed the efficiency of all quarterback-receiver tandems where the quarterback attempted 100 passes and concluded that, of 29, Sanchez and Santonio Holmes came in last with a 50.5 percent completion rate.

The issue didn’t keep the Jets from bringing back Holmes, and they signed Sanchez to a three-year extension worth $20.5 million in guarantees. The team also signed former Denver starter Tim Tebow as the backup quarterback.

Earlier on an episode of ESPN's First Take, Burress said Tebow could be competing for the starting job.

"It's a possibility, you can't rule it out," said Burress, now a free agent. "I mean, they did bring him in for a reason. I think he's going to make Mark Sanchez a better quarterback. When they bring in somebody at your position, he's going to compete for it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Jets Insider VIP
    Am I alone in relating this to the "Caption this pic..." thread?

Hall Of Fame
    Not for nothing but you can't believe anything this guy says. Good or bad. Can't have it both ways.

Bye Plax.

Hello Stephen Hill.

All Pro
    My guess is it's damage control because he realizes he's finished. Certainly hope he's right though.

Practice Squad
    hope this isn't Pennington 2.0

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post

Sanchez only completed five passes longer than 21 yards all season.
    This stat is absolutely insane!! Scary actually! Some QB's come close to 5 passes over 21 yards in each game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    This stat is absolutely insane!! Scary actually! Some QB's come close to 5 passes over 21 yards in each game.
    This should be also as scary for a QB and #1 WR:

As an aside, ESPN Stats & Information analyzed the efficiency of all quarterback-receiver tandems where the quarterback attempted 100 passes and concluded that, of 29, Sanchez and Santonio Holmes came in last with a 50.5 percent completion rate.

I swear Snachez hires a PR firm to manufacture excuses for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

i hope you fall in pacu-infested waters.

No worries. Ground and Pound™.

...and on ur left u'll see an attempted unburning of a bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Damn that made me laugh...i just got finished reading that thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    The guy's spiel is boring and predictable

All League
    Actually, you don't have to be a genius or a doctor to see that Mark Sanchez has injured his throwing shoulder several times in his Jets career.

He's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning so it won't get called, but he gets driven into the ground a lot. In fact, on 3 separate occasions last season players were fined after the game, but not penalized during the game for hits on Sanchez. It's pretty pathetic to watch how the stars are catered to in the sport, but you haven't heard Sanchez complain.

Most decent H.S qb's do that every week.

I said this last week. Old news Plaxico... old news.

During the season I suspected something was off with Sanchez
    no thanks to Wayne Hunter

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Dont let fear of a healthy Sanchez drive you even further into dooshy posting.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dont let fear of a healthy Sanchez drive you even further into dooshy posting.

-
    I love a healthy Sanchez.