Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camby a knick!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Camby a knick!!

Did we give up to much for an aging 38 yr old? I loved him in the late 90's but giving up a lot a youth and two picks ?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To play or coach?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    Did we give up to much for an aging 38 yr old? I loved him in the late 90's but giving up a lot a youth and two picks ?
    He's a perfect backup for Chandler. The Knicks didn't give anything up of value. The two picks are 2nd round picks, Douglas, Jerome Jordan and Harrelson. Only Harrelson was going to get any minutes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    To play or coach?
    Needed someone to rebound when Chandler isn't in... We all know Amare won't do it... What was given up is ****ing absurd though...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The deal makes no sense at all. Camby is 38.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    The deal makes no sense at all. Camby is 38.
    Deal makes 100% sense. Pay attention next time.

Camby is taking over Jeffries' role as Tyson's No. 1 backup. Excellent signing. Keeps the defensive intensity when Tyson is off the floor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Between Kidd and Camby it looks like the Knicks are stuck in the 90s let alone the 00s

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always loved Camby, one of my all time favorite Knicks.

Good depth at center for the Knicks... Novak resigned too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Deal makes 100% sense. Pay attention next time.

Camby is taking over Jeffries' role as Tyson's No. 1 backup. Excellent signing. Keeps the defensive intensity when Tyson is off the floor.
    But also Harrellson, Douglas and two number 2's...plus cash?

I understand what he brings, albeit at 38 years old, but I thought it was too much to give Houston. For one thing, I think Harrellson, with some more PT, will become a pretty solid rotational player off the bench, long after Camby is retired. JMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    But also Harrellson, Douglas and two number 2's...plus cash?

I understand what he brings, albeit at 38 years old, but I thought it was too much to give Houston. For one thing, I think Harrellson, with some more PT, will become a pretty solid rotational player off the bench, long after Camby is retired. JMO.
    First, Knicks were going to give up that package for Nash, Kidd, and Camby. They had to find a S&T so they could sign a backup PG and C, one had to be MMLE and other S&T.

Second, Douglas was in the final year of his contract at $2 million. He wasn't getting resigned.

Third, I like Harrellson, but the Knicks don't need a developmental player right now. People forget that Melo is signed only for 2 more years (he holds a 3rd year option) and Chandler and STAT are here for only 3 more years.

The Knicks are looking at a 3 year window. It's telling that Kidd and Camby are signed for 3 years as well. Essentially all these contracts will be off the books for the 2015-16 season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Between Kidd and Camby it looks like the Knicks are stuck in the 90s let alone the 00s
    Yeah, as bench players. Funny how people ignore that all important fact.

All 5 Knick starters will be 30 or younger starting the season. Only 2 bench players are well over 30.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible pickup for scraps..

Their window is the next three years, and then hopefully if it all works out Lin and Shumpert will be our building blocks along with future first round picks.

Luxury Tax means absolutely nothing, especially with all the revenue Lin & a successful Knicks team will bring in.

Camby averaged over 9 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in about 25 minutes last year.

I am so happy I never have to see Amare play center EVER again.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    First, Knicks were going to give up that package for Nash, Kidd, and Camby. They had to find a S&T so they could sign a backup PG and C, one had to be MMLE and other S&T.

Second, Douglas was in the final year of his contract at $2 million. He wasn't getting resigned.

Third, I like Harrellson, but the Knicks don't need a developmental player right now. People forget that Melo is signed only for 2 more years (he holds a 3rd year option) and Chandler and STAT are here for only 3 more years.

The Knicks are looking at a 3 year window. It's telling that Kidd and Camby are signed for 3 years as well. Essentially all these contracts will be off the books for the 2015-16 season.
    But the components of the package aren't set in stone, are they?

Why did the Knicks have to give up that many assets, especially Harrellson?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree Knicks gave up too much. I like Camby, next year will probably provide more than Jorts would. But I'm not sure that'll be the case for years two and three.

Too much money and giving up too many tradeable pieces for a role player who is one of the oldest players in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah make fun of Camby because hes 38, he is still good. The Heat went after him to make him a starter. He averaged 9 RPG last season in less minutes than hes usually played, hes still good defensively.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Yeah make fun of Camby because hes 38, he is still good. The Heat went after him to make him a starter. He averaged 9 RPG last season in less minutes than hes usually played, hes still good defensively.
    I don't see where anyone is laughing at or dogging Camby.

The concern is the amount of assets given up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the components are set.

Why that many assets? Money. The Knicks had to match Camby's 2012-13 salary in the sign & trade in order to make it happen because the Knicks are over the salary cap and it still wasn't enough so the Knicks had to throw in some money as well. The 2 second rounders were incentive to Houston to do the deal.

So look at lit like this:

Camby's $4.3 mil = Douglas, Harrelson, JJ, and cash

2 second rounders give Houston incentive to do the deal, otherwise they had no reason to do it since Douglas, Harrelson & JJ are bottom of roster guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Agree Knicks gave up too much. I like Camby, next year will probably provide more than Jorts would. But I'm not sure that'll be the case for years two and three.

Too much money and giving up too many tradeable pieces for a role player who is one of the oldest players in the league.
    What did they give up? Douglas? He wasn't going to see any meaningful playing time..The Same for Jordan...2 2nd round picks? Who cares..The Knicks can replace those if they want by buying them like they did to draft JJordan and Harrelson..Only Harrelson could see any minutes, but Camby at age 38 is a much better player than Harrelson will ever be and is a true C, which is what the Knicks need to b/u Chandler..

This was such a no brainer of a move it's ridiculous to find an ounce of fault in it...They had to do a S&T to acquire Camby because Dallas wasn't going to do a S&T with the Knicks for Kidd....
    Last edited by C Mart; 07-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    Incredible pickup for scraps..

Their window is the next three years, and then hopefully if it all works out Lin and Shumpert will be our building blocks along with future first round picks.
    this guy gets it.

all the talk about "wasting assets" -- what assets? the Knicks only true young assets are Lin and Shumpert. Fields was an asset, to a lesser degree, but at the salary that Toronto offered he's closer to a liability.

Knicks gave up the 12th, 13th and 14th guy on the roster (assuming Gadzuric is 15th). they can get equal or better production from free agents that can be had for minimum deals. the 2nd round picks are the incentive for Houston to agree to the S&T, because the players they got back are just salary fillers.

bottom-line: Knicks are "all in" for the next 3 years. Toney Douglas and Jorts won't put this team over the top, but Kidd and Camby might.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    this guy gets it.

all the talk about "wasting assets" -- what assets? the Knicks only true young assets are Lin and Shumpert. Fields was an asset, to a lesser degree, but at the salary that Toronto offered he's closer to a liability.

Knicks gave up the 12th, 13th and 14th guy on the roster (assuming Gadzuric is 15th). they can get equal or better production from free agents that can be had for minimum deals. the 2nd round picks are the incentive for Houston to agree to the S&T, because the players they got back are just salary fillers.

bottom-line: Knicks are "all in" for the next 3 years. Toney Douglas and Jorts won't put this team over the top, but Kidd and Camby might.
    Alan along with a few others here also get it..

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
    @Ibaks001: @alanhahn why do we give up so much for a 38 old Camby?” What is so much? You’d rather have those three than Camby?