Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Arian Foster is vegan now

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I can't believe there are still people out there ignorant enough to think an NFL player can't sustain weight and muscle mass without consuming meat.
    I already mentioned that Tony Gonzales found he had to eat some chicken and fish, or he couldn't keep on the weight, and he's kind of slender. Not built like Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Wonder how his body will hold up with the strain of the season esp his body's protein needs for recovery. Wear and tear coombined with dietary restrictions will severely test him
    He'll be healthier, so his body will respond fine. He can get everything he needs from his vegan diet and supplements. His body wont miss the cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We can't digest raw vegetables. I guess you'd have to pay someone to pre chew your food for you.
    yeah it's amazing that we were able to survive without digesting anything for thousands of years

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    He'll be healthier, so his body will respond fine. He can get everything he needs from his vegan diet and supplements. His body wont miss the cholesterol.
    How would you know what he's going through personally? I find it hard to believe he'll take a whole season of pounding the rock in the pros, D's are keyed in him now, and not needing animal/fish protein at some point. If he doesn't he might find his body will probably break down on him. He could be an outlier though but that's asking for a lot.

Even Tony G had to resort to meat to keep his weight and strength up

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    yeah it's amazing that we were able to survive without digesting anything for thousands of years
    You're kidding right? You know our brains didn't develop until we started eating meat right? Then again when we learned to cook it.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Wonder how his body will hold up with the strain of the season esp his body's protein needs for recovery. Wear and tear coombined with dietary restrictions will severely test him
    Well, like I wrote earlier, he could possibly do it right by monitoring what kind of amino acids he's ingesting, but don't you think this gets very tedious and difficult? He's also "vegan". No yogurt or milk or cheese or any of that.

And a lot of whey products are not allowed, since they have egg product or milk product in them.

I just think it's very difficult, and don't think he'll be able to eat what he needs to in terms of repairing his body. We can discuss all the scientific proof that says he can (which I agree, with a lot of discipline he can do it), but it seems like vegan & NFL don't really go together.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Beans, Quinoa, Lentils, Yougurt...all have plenty of protein. You don't need steak for muscles.
    Thank you! Broccoli too!

You're kidding right? You know our brains didn't develop until we started eating meat right? Then again when we learned to cook it.
    did you go to the Ted Nugent school of evolution or something

first of all, we digested plants raw and still can. Second, we digested raw meat and still do. Third, this post has nothing to do with your last whatsoever.
    Last edited by JetsFan24; 07-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Well, like I wrote earlier, he could possibly do it right by monitoring what kind of amino acids he's ingesting, but don't you think this gets very tedious and difficult? He's also "vegan". No yogurt or milk or cheese or any of that.

And a lot of whey products are not allowed, since they have egg product or milk product in them.

I just think it's very difficult, and don't think he'll be able to eat what he needs to in terms of repairing his body. We can discuss all the scientific proof that says he can (which I agree, with a lot of discipline he can do it), but it seems like vegan & NFL don't really go together.
    Good points

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I'd love to know how Prince Fielder is a vegetarian when every time I see him he looks like he just got done winning the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest or a plate of 50 Hooters Wings.
    Vegan is different than vegetarian. Vegan is a Super strict no animal product diet. I know tons of fat vegetarians. Pizza, potato chips, cookies, cakes, are all vegetarian.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    did you go to the Ted Nugent school of evolution or something

first of all, we digested plants raw and still can. Second, we digested raw meat and still do. Third, this post has nothing to do with your last whatsoever.
    Go ahead and believe the whatever politically correct misinformation you want. I don't care. You can digest some of those things, but you get much less nutrients out of them. They pass right through you, so you would have to eat many times more food to get the same benefits. John is right when he says their are exotic things they can do now to get these benefits, but that is not eating raw vegetables, and especially not raw meat. That's just ridiculous. There's a reason why cows have 4 stomachs, and eat constantly. You gonna tell me when modern humans did not eat any meat. We did, whether you want to believe it or not. even Homo habilis was a scavenger. Amazing what people will convince themselves of.
    As to why it has to do with the previous post. Our Brains require a lot of energy, and eating raw plants was just not enough for us to develop them. Besides that we had no time to develop anything when we had to eat all day long. Cooked meat can give you a couple days of energy, where if you lived on gathering raw vegetation, that would have to be your primary function. Look it up.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-12-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Vegan is different than vegetarian. Vegan is a Super strict no animal product diet. I know tons of fat vegetarians. Pizza, potato chips, cookies, cakes, are all vegetarian.
    Good point and good looks getting Fiedler's daily menu.

It's 2012, you can get everything meat provides through supplements. We are at the point where people can live entirely on a science diet. Arian Foster is one step closer to becoming the perfect athelete.

Go ahead and believe the whatever politically correct misinformation you want. I don't care. You can digest some of those things, but you get much less nutrients out of them. They pass right through you, so you would have to eat many times more food to get the same benefits. John is right when he says their are exotic things they can do now to get these benefits, but that is not eating raw vegetables, and especially not raw meat. That's just ridiculous. There's a reason why cows have 4 stomachs, and eat constantly. You gonna tell me when modern humans did not eat any meat. We did, whether you want to believe it or not. even Homo habilis was a scavenger. Amazing what people will convince themselves of.
    As to why it has to do with the previous post. Our Brains require a lot of energy, and eating raw plants was just not enough for us to develop them. Besides that we had no time to develop anything when we had to eat all day long. Cooked meat can give you a couple days of energy, where if you lived on gathering raw vegetation, that would have to be your primary function. Look it up.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Newsflash: we aren't cavemen anymore

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Newsflash: we aren't cavemen anymore
    Oh so since we don't live in caves we can suddenly digest raw food, with no trouble at all? I said we could get what we need with exotic formulas I suppose, but it would either take a lot of your time, or you would have to consciously conserve energy, but we cannot thrive on a diet of uncooked vegetables. Just can't happen no matter how much you would like it to.

Oh so since we don't live in caves we can suddenly digest raw food, with no trouble at all? I said we could get what we need with exotic formulas I suppose, but it would either take a lot of your time, or you would have to consciously conserve energy, but we cannot thrive on a diet of uncooked vegetables. Just can't happen no matter how much you would like it to.
    Where did you study nutrition again?

Go ahead and believe the whatever politically correct misinformation you want.
    Politically correct? wtf are you talking about? What have I said that's "politically correct?" Are you telling me that if I don't endorse lolretarded statements about us not being able to digest raw vegetables I'm being "politically correct?"

I don't care. You can digest some of those things, but you get much less nutrients out of them. They pass right through you, so you would have to eat many times more food to get the same benefits.
    so you are already backpeddling. got it.

John is right when he says their are exotic things they can do now to get these benefits, but that is not eating raw vegetables, and especially not raw meat. That's just ridiculous. There's a reason why cows have 4 stomachs, and eat constantly. You gonna tell me when modern humans did not eat any meat. We did, whether you want to believe it or not. even Homo habilis was a scavenger. Amazing what people will convince themselves of.
    You seem like one of these silly people that cruises the interent for things you want to believe, reads like two articles about something and then starts drawing wild extrapolations from them because you've decided they reinforce your worldview. This is just a meandering mishmash of information and pseudo-scientific facts that you've drawn some nonsensical conclusions from.

We don't hunt our meals all day anymore, so packing maximum calories into a meal isn't essential. We eat and digest tons of raw vegetables and meat all of the time. The evolution of the brain coincided with the use of tools for hunting animals, as did cooking food to make it safer and pack more calories in. That doesn't mean that we require cooked meat for brain function. The rest of this post is some bizarre mixture of straw man and idiocy that I'm not gonna waste my time on.

You said "we can't digest raw vegetables." You were flat wrong. You said "we can't digest raw meat." Wrong also. I don't really need the factoid about cows and their four stomachs, because, you know, they're a completely different species.
    Last edited by JetsFan24; 07-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.

do you even know what "digest" means?

Raw fruits and vegetables are well and easily digested. Period. Lots of people eat them. Carrots, broccoli, asparagus, celery, cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes, and any fruit.
    Vegans can supplement their diets with calcium to maintain bone strength.
    BTW, pastas fit in a vegan diet as does rice.
    Many track and field athletes eat no meat or animal by products at all.

All Pro
    I'm not arguing with people that get defensive because they have a belief system that requires them fight for their faith. I never said you couldn't live, I said you would have to eat all day and conserve energy. I also said that there were exotic foods they make nowadays that could provide the protein and energy you need if you work all day at it. I said that in the original post about digestion. The argument about evolution, and brain development was specifically toward the person that said we survived on raw vegetables for thousands of years who is flat out wrong. You can pick out lines out of context all day to try and discredit me, but the thing is I don't care. You obviously care way to much about this. Tell Tony Gonzalez about it, because he really cares, and he obviously doesn't know the facts.