Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arian Foster is vegan now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Raises your estrogen levels.

One of many
    I know. I have a guy I work with that swears that soy will make a man gay and grow tits.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A one/two punch with Greene, and our backfield would be awesome.
    Better shot of getting someone like Ivory from the Saints....Texans arent going to trade Tate.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I remember it was big news when Fred Dryer became a Vegan some others of note are Namath,Tony Gonzalez and Ricky Williams..

Ricky Williams the ultimate vegan.....not only eats plants, but smokes them too..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The protein is not the same as meat anyway.
    How so?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, going vegan is not a bad way to go about things for an adult (not a child) if you monitor your intake, but not the best course of action for an NFL football player, especially someone who is going to get hit 50 times a game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    How so?
    It's easier to get all of essential amino acids from meats, poultry and fish than it is from vegetable and bean sources. You must study which essential proteins are in which vegetables and beans to complement each other.

Not saying it's wrong, just not practical.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Prince Fielder can be a vegetarian since high school, Arian Foster can be a vegan. For some reason I'm not totally surprised from a guy who dresses like this:

He's just putting his personal nutritionist on double-duty. Probably a bazillion supplements.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    If Prince Fielder can be a vegetarian since high school, Arian Foster can be a vegan. For some reason I'm not totally surprised from a guy who dresses like this:

He's just putting his personal nutritionist on double-duty. Probably a bazillion supplements.
    I'd love to know how Prince Fielder is a vegetarian when every time I see him he looks like he just got done winning the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest or a plate of 50 Hooters Wings.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... this is a non-issue ...

... watched an old episode of "Entourage" last night ... Vince suddenly became vegan to bang a hot broad ... as soon as she was out of the picture he was back to normal ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know. I have a guy I work with that swears that soy will make a man gay and grow tits.
    Idk that's kind of a chicken or the egg question...but vegans can't eat those things

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's easier to get all of essential amino acids from meats, poultry and fish than it is from vegetable and bean sources. You must study which essential proteins are in which vegetables and beans to complement each other.

I know Tony Gonzalez went back to eating some chicken and fish, because he couldn't keep the weight on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "People feel so strong about meat and milk. I wish they felt this strong about peace," the two-time Pro Bowler wrote shortly after his original tweet.
    I'm feeing a name-change coming on the horizon...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea that a meat based diet is better for you, better for athletes, or any of the other claims often thrown around has been proven wrong time again. Sure, he'll need to be careful about what he eats, but then again, he should already be doing that.

However, being Vegan always seems like the wrong way to go about things. If you're really that concerned about farm animals, shouldn't you be supporting humane practices and small farms? Meh, whatever. I've seen so many people become vegan and fail miserably, and who want's to give up cheese anyway?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Arian Foster on a laffy taffy diet over Shonn Greene.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I ask... everything Ive heard is that its possible to get everything you need protein wise from a vegan lifeststyle and supplements, with planning, work and attention... which hopefully pro athletes are doing anyway. The guy very well could have a nutritionist helping him out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post

With Fielder, he only started vegetarianism (and part time at that) in 2008. When he signed with the Tigers, he announced he had given it up and that he was only one for about 3 months because the minute his home run rate dipped, everyone blamed the diet. I think his definition of vegetarian was cutting down on red meat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Vegans can't have yogurt sorry. The protein is not the same as meat anyway.
    Not true at all. Dairy has complete protein as far as amino acid profile, which means from a biological perspective it is identical to a gram of steak protein. There is just a perception that it's not possible to hold onto muscle without meat. As for him being vegan quinoa is the only complete protein that I have heard of that doesn't have side effects. It will definitely be hard and I agree with John that he's either really dedicated or he will find out it's gonna be kinda tough and quit in a few weeks. I would be more apt to say he could be a vegetarian over a vegan. Dairy and eggs make life a lot easier from a nutrition aspect, esp an elite athlete like him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Thats why I ask... everything Ive heard is that its possible to get everything you need protein wise from a vegan lifeststyle and supplements, with planning, work and attention... which hopefully pro athletes are doing anyway. The guy very well could have a nutritionist helping him out.
    I hope he does, personally because I like Foster, and professionally it's guys like him who seem more humble that are good for the sport. I say that comparatively at this point.

On another note, I'm watching Aliens right now as I type this. For being "future" Marines, why do they have Vietnam era helmets? LOL. I know the movie was made in 1986, but still.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Better shot of getting someone like Ivory from the Saints....Texans arent going to trade Tate.
    Pierre Thomas is the Saints RB I'd want the most.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares what another man eats? Consider me 'not interested' with this type of topic of discussion.

Carry on...