Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Van Halen to play SB half time?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Bowl half time shows are targeted at the people who don't watch a single NFL game all year long, but do host/attend a Super Bowl party and talk about anything but the game. Those are the incremental viewers that the networks covet; fans that follow the game all year long are going to watch the game regardless of who is or is not playing.

Chasing that demographic is why a band like Metallica is not going to be on the Super Bowl halftime show. If it's not yet another retread has-been that has been overplayed on classic rock format radio (Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, etc.), then as much as a disappointment it may be Taylor Swift might be the perfect choice. It would be another step to get younger which the NFL has been so hesitant to do ever since the Justin Timberlake showed us Janet Jackson pasties-covered boob. A couple more shows by artists under the age of forty and maybe, just maybe then they will consider getting a bit more cutting edge.

But it ain't gonna' happen this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I'm 52 going on 53 & I know who Jack White is.
    I think if you polled the newest fans of the NFL & all of the kids that are playing fantasy football, MOST would know who Jack White is & most would say they dig him & his music.
    Seriously, can it be any worse than most of the halftime shows. I think even the NFL is realizing that dragging these old groups out of their graves is getting stagnant. Oh, & the Black Eyed Peas were horrendous! Talk about a "studio" band,lol.
    The newest fans of the NFL and the kids playing FF are in the minority. The overall NFL fanbase could not name three songs by Jack White. That's not to say he is not good just not mainstream enough. You need to take your personal tastes out of the equation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    It's a good song. Admit it.
    That was a ruse to defuse the Bruce feud.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The newest fans of the NFL and the kids playing FF are in the minority. The overall NFL fanbase could not name three songs by Jack White. That's not to say he is not good just not mainstream enough. You need to take your personal tastes out of the equation.
    The Beach Boys are reunited (for what's left of them) and touring.

Can't get more mainstream America than that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That was a ruse to defuse the Bruce feud.

_
    I dont appreciate your ruse mam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR6OjB6OWoI

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, but they are not touring.
    They don't need to be touring to play the super bowl. They would need a week of rehearsals max to do the show. They could do 12 minutes in their sleep

Back in Black
    Thunderstruck
    Shook Me all Night Long

Taylor Swift would be an ok choice but most guys watching the show would hate her music so if they wanted to have her, they would have to have like an all star country music thing with Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Lady Antebullum . That would work.

Metallica could work nowadays if they played

Enter Sandman
    Fuel
    Nothing Else Matters
    Unforgiven

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    U2 in 2002 Super Bowl was the last one that was good. Hasn't been one since then.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You put this thread out there and 99%, if not 100% of the replys will be be based on personal tastes. There isn't a band or performer that they can pick who would get unanimous thumbs up from people here. They're either washed up or unknown. Too hard core or too bubble gum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last decent SB halftime show was the one were Janet Jackson's bazzomba flopped out.

They have all been horrible ever since.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Metallica could work nowadays if they played

Enter Sandman
    Fuel
    Nothing Else Matters
    Unforgiven
    The last two songs are a bit somber for a halftime show.

But I totally agree. Metallica would work and would probably actually give the halftime show a little more respectability. Van Halen is just sad. They sold out decades ago. Metallica at least sold out when the majority of the "fan base" was also selling out, ie. having kids, getting normal jobs with mortgage payments and wives and stuff. And they have a MUCH MUCH wider fan base spanning generations.

Fuel and Enter Sandman would completely get the entire stadium "rocking" for the second half of football

And this is coming from someone who (ask Warfish) kinda loathes Metallica...
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 07-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Halftime shows should be done away with.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will I live to see a day when TOOL does the halftime show?

I'll settle for anyone who isn't generic top 40 OR an artists whose last hit was in 1983

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You put this thread out there and 99%, if not 100% of the replys will be be based on personal tastes. There isn't a band or performer that they can pick who would get unanimous thumbs up from people here. They're either washed up or unknown. Too hard core or too bubble gum.
    Very true. Personally I would like to see the guy with his dog and frisbee doing tricks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please god no

I'm still hoping for the AC/DC halftime show

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

I'll settle for anyone who isn't generic top 40 OR an artists whose last hit was in 1983
    That would be the best halftime ever..

setlist

Prison Sex,Stinkfist,forty six and 2..just to name a few...Jambi would be nice as well

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Tool?

Would never happen. JMK would use the platform to rail against consumerism and 90% of the human lemming's ears are not capable of polyrhythms and odd time sigs. They'd all just sit there like "dumbfounded dipsh*ts" wondering where Justin Beiber was....

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true. Personally I would like to see the guy with his dog and frisbee doing tricks.
    Or the guy who flew model airplanes around Shea, now that would be a cool half time show.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Tool?

Would never happen. JMK would use the platform to rail against consumerism and 90% of the human lemming's ears are not capable of polyrhythms and odd time sigs. They'd all just sit there like "dumbfounded dipsh*ts" wondering where Justin Beiber was....

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    wouldn't matter. they're the best live band in the world.