Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The offensive line still a huge question mark

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    One thing to bear in mind about changing personnel on the line - continuity is an important factor. If you swap out Hunter and replace him with someone who's a little better talent wise, you'd be lucky to net out at zero impact in 2012. To overcome the loss of continuity you'd need to bring in someone who's a significant improvement in talent - and talented tackles are not out there waiting for their phones to ring.

If Hunter can get some help this year from TE's / RB's, I think he'll fare better in pass protection. Schotty's system didn't provide this help - and we all saw the results last year.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't go that far.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.
    True.

Those cafe doors would provide way more resistance than Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    True.

Those cafe doors would provide way more resistance than Hunter.
    Hunter will be a pleasant surprise this year.

Have to go out on a limb on something just catch me please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you want to look on the bright side, he can only get better.

Right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    One thing to bear in mind about changing personnel on the line - continuity is an important factor. If you swap out Hunter and replace him with someone who's a little better talent wise, you'd be lucky to net out at zero impact in 2012. To overcome the loss of continuity you'd need to bring in someone who's a significant improvement in talent - and talented tackles are not out there waiting for their phones to ring.

If Hunter can get some help this year from TE's / RB's, I think he'll fare better in pass protection. Schotty's system didn't provide this help - and we all saw the results last year.
    Agreed. But I would add that the entire OL was out of synch last year. Too many fans want to blame only one player. Brick was only decent and actually gave up more sacks then Hunter. Moore took time to round into playing shape and was not dominant early on. Slauson was injured and played with his arm in a sling. The fans also forget or did not know that Sanchez had a bad wing and was not himself either last year. Perhaps he contributed to the problems a wee bit and vice versa! It was a TEAM thing!

This is a new year. I trust in the judgement of Sparano and REX. They do know what it takes to do a good job on the OL. They did not panic nor should the fans. They trust in Hunter et al and I think I'd put more faith in their judgement then most fans. They can and do make mistakes. they are human but I go along with their judgement at this point. I am sure that if they see Hunter struggling in camp, the situation will be handled. They do not need fans telling them what to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you want to look on the bright side, he can only get better.

Right?
    What will this be his second full year, maybe?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    While the Jets did make some good moves this off season I am still puzzled by their lack of movement on the offensive line. Dbrick had a terrible year last year and the staff should have had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and I cant understand why they retained Wayne Hunter. Unless the OL really steps it up I just can't see that much offensive improvement. What am I missing here ?
    They did bring in Tebow for when Mark gets broken...Seriously there wasn't much for them to do sans bringing in Leonard. They are going to hope someone steps up, or hope someone gets cut. Most of the line is pretty good if they get on the same page. I know I sound like a broken record, but tempo, and keeping the defense off guard is going to make a world of difference. get up to the line and snap the ball like we have a purpose, and we know what we're doing out there. It's all attitude. 90% of the game is half the battle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What will this be his second full year, maybe?
    As a starter? Yes.

He has been in the league since 2003. 3rd round pick by the Seahawks. Career backup before last year.

But that was only b.c he never had Bill Callahan as an OL coach.

But now we learned that he sucked b.c he did not have Dave DeGuglielmo as an OL coach. His new OL coach has a SB ring, which Callahan does not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    While the Jets did make some good moves this off season I am still puzzled by their lack of movement on the offensive line. Dbrick had a terrible year last year and the staff should have had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and I cant understand why they retained Wayne Hunter. Unless the OL really steps it up I just can't see that much offensive improvement. What am I missing here ?
    Who says they can't improve? We already know that Brick has the ability to be a top notch LT. He had a very off year. But who says he cannot improve?

Same for Wayne Hunter. Although I admittedly have a harder time believing it, who says he can't improve? He was nothing short of great for us in replacing Damien Woody during the 2010 playoffs. So who says he cannot improve?

I don't necessarily believe that they will improve, but I certainly believe it is possible. Brick I believe WILL be much better this season. Everyone already knows he's a much better player than that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed. But I would add that the entire OL was out of synch last year. Too many fans want to blame only one player. Brick was only decent and actually gave up more sacks then Hunter. Moore took time to round into playing shape and was not dominant early on. Slauson was injured and played with his arm in a sling. The fans also forget or did not know that Sanchez had a bad wing and was not himself either last year. Perhaps he contributed to the problems a wee bit and vice versa! It was a TEAM thing!

This is a new year. I trust in the judgement of Sparano and REX. They do know what it takes to do a good job on the OL. They did not panic nor should the fans. They trust in Hunter et al and I think I'd put more faith in their judgement then most fans. They can and do make mistakes. they are human but I go along with their judgement at this point. I am sure that if they see Hunter struggling in camp, the situation will be handled. They do not need fans telling them what to do.
    I don't know about everybody else, but KJ's got me fired up!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a starter? Yes.

He has been in the league since 2003. 3rd round pick by the Seahawks. Career backup before last year.

But now we learned that he sucked b.c he did not have Dave DeGuglielmo as an OL coach. His new OL coach has a SB ring, which Callahan does not.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying he has been riding pine his whole career maybe he will wake up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a starter? Yes.

This is where the OL is hanging out this year!! Yeah!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the offensive line is going to rebound this season.

They were riddled with injuries last year (Slauson, Mangold, Moore, Turner), and people seem to be overlooking the extremely poor performance of Mulligan from the TE position who amplified the pass blocking issues greatly.

Jets fans have been spoiled over the past few years with one of the best offensive lines in the league. Due to various circumstances, they dropped down to an average level last year, and in my opinion, the new evaluations and expectations have been largely over-reactive.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Who says they can't improve? We already know that Brick has the ability to be a top notch LT. He had a very off year. But who says he cannot improve?

Same for Wayne Hunter. Although I admittedly have a harder time believing it, who says he can't improve? He was nothing short of great for us in replacing Damien Woody during the 2010 playoffs. So who says he cannot improve?

I don't necessarily believe that they will improve, but I certainly believe it is possible. Brick I believe WILL be much better this season. Everyone already knows he's a much better player than that.
    I'm convinced.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm convinced.
    Who says we can't win a SB this year?

Who says I won't get to motorboat Kate Upton?

Who?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who says we can't win a SB this year?

Who says I won't get to motorboat Kate Upton?

Who?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW4RU...eature=related

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so then I hope Hunter steps it up but you all bring up a great point if anyone on the OL gets hurt it could really hurt. I'm really anxious to see what a new OC can bring to the team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought.

Our starting RT may not currently be on the roster.