Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The offensive line still a huge question mark

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The offensive line still a huge question mark

While the Jets did make some good moves this off season I am still puzzled by their lack of movement on the offensive line. Dbrick had a terrible year last year and the staff should have had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and I cant understand why they retained Wayne Hunter. Unless the OL really steps it up I just can't see that much offensive improvement. What am I missing here ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The OL is not a question mark...

There's 4 proven starters at this juncture and one guy who can't possibly play any worse than he did last year...

The latter can also be said of Brick, who basically did a complete 180 from what we were accustomed to seeing from his 2nd year up to that point...

With a 'return to form' of Brick and at least manageable play from Hunter, the line is a non issue, assuming there's no injuries...

If you want to discuss depth, you have a valid concern...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Why does this Pats fan troll continually start threads like this?

DUMP

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a question mark for all of us but obviously not for the FO. So what you are missing is that you don't believe all the hype they have been giving us since January that they are comfortable that Hunter, Ducasse, and others will make the leap this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are betting that Wayne Hunter will play better with another year of experience under his belt, and have a few other replacement-level options should he struggle.

D'Brick is fine.

Hunter was so bad last year that any improvement this season will be a big upgrade.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'd be foolish not to bring in Leonard Davis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of Revis and Mangold, you pretty much could question the entire team..... With that said, I feel that the Jets FO, feels that problems that Hunter and D'Brick had last year are correctible... I believe Sparano's blocking schemes will play more into Hunter's strengths..... I honestly expected alot more form D'Brick, but he does have ability and I tend not to worry much about his ability to have a bounce back year..

I think Depth is a concern at C, G & T..... hoping that we stay healthy..

With re-focus on running game, it will be interesting to see what they get out of TE and Fullback positions... I don't think they get much of blame regarding the inconsistency of running game, but they were definitely contributing factors.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jordy is Top 10.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Hunter, Ducasse, and others will make the leap this year.
    into the East River.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    into the East River.
    Hunter would miss.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I'm not as worried about the line this year as I was last year. Mostly for the reasons stated - it can't get worse than last year and a couple of guys are due for some bounce-back years. Add the new scheme and (hopefully) better play-calling, and there's reason to be optimistic.

I also think that one of the current bench guys will surprise. No reason for that, just speculating.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Jordy is Top 10.
    Can I add that to my sig?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    It's a question mark for all of us but obviously not for the FO. So what you are missing is that you don't believe all the hype they have been giving us since January that they are comfortable that Hunter, Ducasse, and others will make the leap this year.
    Good call.

This is, after all, a leap year here in 2012.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

I'm not as worried about the line this year as I was last year. Mostly for the reasons stated - it can't get worse than last year and a couple of guys are due for some bounce-back years. Add the new scheme and (hopefully) better play-calling, and there's reason to be optimistic.

I also think that one of the current bench guys will surprise. No reason for that, just speculating.
    In all seriousness (I know, crazy), ARod's cry fro Leonard Davis last year came after Turner was injured and out for the season.

I do think they have more depth this year. I'm just not sure as to the quality yet. Have to see some pre-season games first. I would like to see the Jets add a solid vet on the OL after cuts are made.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to bear in mind about changing personnel on the line - continuity is an important factor. If you swap out Hunter and replace him with someone who's a little better talent wise, you'd be lucky to net out at zero impact in 2012. To overcome the loss of continuity you'd need to bring in someone who's a significant improvement in talent - and talented tackles are not out there waiting for their phones to ring.

If Hunter can get some help this year from TE's / RB's, I think he'll fare better in pass protection. Schotty's system didn't provide this help - and we all saw the results last year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... our starting RT will still be added from another teams TC cut ...

... other 4 spots on the OL are good ...

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If you swap out Hunter and replace him with someone who's a little better talent wise, you'd be lucky to net out at zero impact in 2012.

... stephen hawking would be an even swap year 1 ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4511991]Outside of Revis and Mangold, you pretty much could question the entire team..... With that said, I feel that the Jets FO, feels that problems that Hunter and D'Brick had last year are correctible... I believe Sparano's blocking schemes will play more into Hunter's strengths..... I honestly expected alot more form D'Brick, but he does have ability and I tend not to worry much about his ability to have a bounce back year..

I think Depth is a concern at C, G & T..... hoping that we stay healthy..

With re-focus on running game, it will be interesting to see what they get out of TE and Fullback positions... I don't think they get much of blame regarding the inconsistency of running game, but they were definitely contributing factors.....[/QUOTE I am very concerned,Sparanos o-line in Miami gave up over 50 sacks last year,Bush had a good year but he did not really turn it on until Sparano was fired. I mean in his stay in Miami he got to sign or draft premier o-line man every year and could never put together a premier unit ,it is very naive to believe he is going to suddenly here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Why does this Pats fan troll continually start threads like this?

DUMP
    It is posts like this that make me want to quit coming here to JI and just abstain from reading and posting at all here. Why do you or anyone else care about thread starting, moreover, why do you care if the guy is (as you put it) "trolling"? If you do not like the thread or post, do not respond to it. Simple, isn't it?

This is supposed to be a place where people can ask questions, express thoughts and concerns, is it not? I think the thread starter has a VERY valid concern which I share. This O Line was an out & out disgrace last season. It almost got our QB KILLED on the very first offensive snap of the season. We were so overmatched on the o line in certain spots last year it was actually sad to watch. So what will happen in 2012, will Wayne "Tuirnstile" Hunter improve at RT? Will Vlad Ducasse never EVER have to step foot on the field except for ST? God I hope so LOL because if we see #62 on the o line, well, "Fair well and adieu to you fine Spanish ladies"....