Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The offensive line still a huge question mark

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The fact is I defended Shotty until the begining of last year. I thought that this was all a learning process for him. Seemed as though he just wasn't prepared a lot of the time. When he seemed to get even more confused last year is when I gave up on him, and came to believe that most of the blame for the inconsistency lied with him. There is no way you can say he ever ran a finely tuned, efficient offense though. That's crazy.
    pretty much same for me... I got really upset last year at him using Tomlinson who was clearly running on fumes as a rotation starting running back especially running power plays into the line between the tackles. Tomlinson should have ONLY been used as a change of pace back going outside or catching dumpoffs. Greene should have been in for any power running plays on first and second down. Instead, Schotty continued to put us in 3rd and 6 all season long without ever changing this failed plan

Not to mention the games when he gave up on the running game altogether (usually after LT started the first two or three series) and called 60 passing plays for Sanchez

anyhow

spilled milk

Thank god the idiot is now gone and off ruining Sam Bradford's career. Looking forward to a huge offensive improvement in 2012

GONNA BE FUN

GO JETS

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... you are 100% wrong with this sentence ...

... coming here as long as you have ... you should know that this has been a valid criticism of shotty since he's been here ... his offenses have performed poorly under chad, favre, & sanchez ...

... he had a poor feel with what plays to call, when to call, has constantly taken too long to get them into the huddle, wasted time with motion that only fooled his own players, and did not run plays designed for his teams strengths ...

l_j_r
    Ive been here long enough to know jet fans have had a problem with Little marty playcalling. I was talking more in regards to the oline. ( this year we see if it was Marty or something else holding back the offense)

So many Jet fans were saying how great Bill Callahan was as a Oline coach. There wasn't too many fans who didn't think they had one of the best olines in 2009 and 2010. ( same system, same players and same play calling.
    Since this thread is about the oline still a big question mark. (not the offense)

I just don't think changing the tempo going to play as big a role in their improvement.(oline play) I will buy what I think jet FO thinking on the oline. (why they think it will improve) That going back to an offense that was pretty good running the football. The oline become that good in run blocking again and it can hide it deficiency in pass protection.(never get in too many obvious passing downs and beating down on those pass rushers in the run game all day will eventually slow them down.

So I agree with the fans who say the Jets oline was never that great in pass protection in 2009 and 2010. The Jets oline better be as proficient run blocking in 2012 as it was in 2009 and 2010. IF not will that oline be able to hold up when they get in obvious passing downs.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I was talking more in regards to the oline. ( this year we see if it was Marty or something else holding back the offense)

... fair enough ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was against keeping Turnstile Hunter as the starting RT again, but I'll give him a year with Sparano to see if he can't tweak his game and turn him into an adequate pass protecting RT. He showed flashes in 2010. There's a small glimmer of hope left. If not, it will be another long season. Big risk, but that's what the Rex Ryan era has been famous for.