Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kill each other, just aim better when kids present

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The gun lobby has made it impossible to have any kind of reasonable regulation, licensing and tracking of guns.

Legal guns are a problem they kill people all the time.
    No reasonable gun regulation or licensing? What we have seems reasonable. Tracking? What are you looking for GPS on every gun? As if it wouldn't be only the legal guns with the GPS active.

Of course people get killed by legal guns. They also get killed by knives. Good thing the knife lobby keeps politicians from enacting reasonable regulation, licensing and tracking of knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    No reasonable gun regulation or licensing? What we have seems reasonable. Tracking? What are you looking for GPS on every gun? As if it wouldn't be only the legal guns with the GPS active.

Of course people get killed by legal guns. They also get killed by knives. Good thing the knife lobby keeps politicians from enacting reasonable regulation, licensing and tracking of knives.
    There is no knife lobby and the gun lobby doesn't support any regulation at all. They even supported shutting up doctors ability to exercise their first amendment rights in discussing safety in the home with gun owners.

Jets Insider VIP
    There is no knife lobby and the gun lobby doesn't support any regulation at all. They even supported shutting up doctors ability to exercise their first amendment rights in discussing safety in the home with gun owners.
    The knife lobby post was a joke to show that people will kill each other no matter what.

I have no idea what you are talking about as far as the doctors comment. Why would doctors be discussing gun safety? Seems an odd combination. "Does it hurt when you do that? Do you have a gun at home?" So even though the NRA supports and promotes gun training and safety classes they went out of their way to stop some non-specific individuals that wanted to talk about gun safety? Link?

The knife lobby post was a joke to show that people will kill each other no matter what.

I have no idea what you are talking about as far as the doctors comment. Why would doctors be discussing gun safety? Seems an odd combination. "Does it hurt when you do that? Do you have a gun at home?" So even though the NRA supports and promotes gun training and safety classes they went out of their way to stop some non-specific individuals that wanted to talk about gun safety? Link?
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/07/03...aw/TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) –
    A federal judge in Miami has sided with doctors in the Sunshine State over a controversial gun law.

U.S. District Judge Marcia Cooke barred the enforcement of a law passed last year that forbid doctors and other medical providers from asking patients about guns in their homes, according to the News Service of Florida. Judge Cooke said lawmakers had failed to make the case that gun owners were being unduly burdened.

“What is curious about this law—and what makes it different from so many other laws involving practitioners’ speech—is that it aims to restrict a practitioner’s ability to provide truthful, non-misleading information to a patient…,” Cooke wrote. “The purpose of preventive medicine is to discuss with a patient topics that, while perhaps not relevant to a patient’s medical safety at the time, inform the patient about general concerns that may arise in the future.”

The law, which was heavily backed by the National Rifle Association had been approved by the Republican legislature and signed into law by Governor Rick Scott. It was challenged in court by groups including: the Florida Pediatric Society and the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The law had been halted under a temporary injunction since last September. The critics of the bill asserted the law interfered with the doctor-patient relationship and prevented health care workers from obtaining relevant information about a patient’s safety at home.

Cooke said neither supporters of the bill nor their attorneys could provide more than anecdotal information proving that prohibiting physicians from asking such questions would result in widespread discrimination against gun owners, the NSF reported.

“I do not disagree that the government has such an interest in protecting its citizens’ fundamental rights,” Cooke wrote. “The Firearm Owners’ Privacy Act, however, simply does not interfere with the right to keep and bear arms. The state’s arguments rest on a legislative illusion.”

Lawmakers haven’t said what they will do, though some want the issue appealed to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me either way honestly. Were they looking to counter some push by the anti-gun lobby that would have had doctors preaching to patients? If my doctor asked me if I had a gun (I don't) I would look at her like she had 2 heads and ask what that has to do with my checkup.

Thanks. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me either way honestly. Were they looking to counter some push by the anti-gun lobby that would have had doctors preaching to patients? If my doctor asked me if I had a gun (I don't) I would look at her like she had 2 heads and ask what that has to do with my checkup.
    You got a problem with the 1st amendment?

Here's a fact you want to reduce the cost of health care and do something proactive for you and your families health. Eat right, wear seat belts when you drive, put your young children in a safe car seat, don't drink excessively, don't do drugs and if you do don't share needles, put on a helmet when you’re on a bike and maybe on the list is lock away your guns in the house so your kids and strangers can't get at them.

All questions that’s none of anyone business and all appropriate questions for a family doctor whose job is to maintain you and your family’s health.

You got a problem with the 1st amendment?

I don't.

The Doctor should have the right to ask whatever they like.

The patient should have the right not to answer, to laugh at (or be offended by) the doctors asking, and to select a different doctor who will not use his office to persue a political agenda in re: guns without any gun-rleated health problem being present.

Freedom works.

If only we allowed it to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I don't.

The Doctor should have the right to ask whatever they like.

The patient should have the right not to answer, to laugh at (or be offended by) the doctors asking, and to select a different doctor who will not use his office to persue a political agenda in re: guns without any gun-rleated health problem being present.

Freedom works.

If only we allowed it to.
    +1 I wasn't saying I agreed with the NRA, just with their ability to pursue a cause they felt was important just like the Brady-bill people did on the other side. The first amendment won and that is a good thing. That is why it is there. My doctor asks about real health questions, food, weight, issues, alcohol, smoking, drugs, stress and sex. Helmets and guns are never brought up.

So now that we have that settled Winston, "You got a problem with the 2nd amendment?"

+1 I wasn't saying I agreed with the NRA, just with their ability to pursue a cause they felt was important just like the Brady-bill people did on the other side. The first amendment won and that is a good thing. That is why it is there. My doctor asks about real health questions, food, weight, issues, alcohol, smoking, drugs, stress and sex. Helmets and guns are never brought up.

So now that we have that settled Winston, "You got a problem with the 2nd amendment?"
    None at all but I do believe in gun regulation and that the 2nd amendment gives the States the right to regulate.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 07-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.

None at all but I do believe in gun regulation.
    Do you equally believe in Voter Regulation?

If not, why is it acceptable to regulate one right (gun ownership) but not ok to regulat another equal right (voting)?

This is a portion of the Anti-Voter ID side I have never understood, as most fo them are also Pro-Gun Control.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Do you equally believe in Voter Regulation?

If not, why is it acceptable to regulate one right (gun ownership) but not ok to regulat another equal right (voting)?

This is a portion of the Anti-Voter ID side I have never understood, as most fo them are also Pro-Gun Control.
    I support voter ID.