Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sapp, Davis, Bellore and Maybin; The Fastest LB Group in Jets History?

Veteran

Sapp, Davis, Bellore and Maybin; The Fastest LB Group in Jets History?

I think they might be. If they can all continue to develop especially "one trick pony" Maybin, we will have a truly lethal group of Backers to go along with a returning B. Thomas, who is not exactly a slowpoke himself, Harris, Pace and slim and trim Bart Scott.

In fact for our defense to become truly ELITE we NEED those guys to play well this season. I personally think Davis is going to be an absolute STUD in the middle although he may not play alot early in the year. Sapp and Maybin are truly the keys to our Pass Rush becoming a DOMINANT factor. With Coples, Wilkerson and Co. taking up blockers and pushing the pocket, and with our secondary causing opposing qbs to hold on for that extra second, those guys could rack up some nice numbers. When teams gear to stop one of them, Coples or Wilk etc. will make them pay. Calvin Pace will also benefit greatly from having so many other pass rushing threats to deal with.

I am very excited to see our "young", fast and athletic lbs this year. I think we could potentially have the best overall lb group in the league this year.
    Last edited by Jet Black; 07-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    I think they might be. If they can all continue to develop especially "one trick pony" Maybin, we will have a truly lethal group of Backers to go along with a returning B. Thomas, who is not exactly a slowpoke himself, Harris, Pace and slim and trim Bart Scott.

In fact for our defense to become truly ELITE we NEED those guys to play well this season. I personally think Davis is going to be an absolute STUD in the middle although he may not play alot early in the year. Sapp and Maybin are truly the keys to our Pass Rush becoming a DOMINANT factor. With Coples, Wilkerson and Co. taking up blockers and pushing the pocket, and with our secondary causing opposing qbs to hold on for that extra second, those guys could rack up some nice numbers. When teams gear to stop one of them, Coples or Wilk etc. will make them pay. Calvin Pace will also benefit greatly from having so many other pass rushing threats to deal with.

I am very excited to see our "young", fast and athletic lbs this year. I think we could potentially have the best overall lb group in the league this year.
    Please pass the sugar plumbs.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Tackle, cover, sack are my priorities when it comes to LB's.
    Kill, or be killed.

I'm expecting Bellore to have a break out monster year.

Banned
    Strong OP.

With the Jets featuring our strongest defensive front since Rex has been here, expect for our LB's to have very strong seasons. Wilkerson had an impact season as a rookie, and should also become much improved this up coming season, just due to the experience (knowledge of the position) that he gained with playing time as a rookie. It all starts with Pouha as our starting 3-4 NT though. This guy has developed into a top five 3-4 NT over the past couple of seasons. Has anchored 3 consecutive defenses in which have ranked top 5. Just an overall animal of a NT/DT. The drafting of arguably the most talented defensive lineman coming out of this years draft class in Quinton Coples could become huge for our defensive front 7. Wilkerson and Coples have the potential to form for the strongest DE duo that we've featured since Shaun Ellis and John Abraham. A 6'5, 346 pound NT/DT in Kenrick Ellis could also contribute this up coming season. Heading into his 2nd season with legal problems of his rookie season no more, I expect to see a focused/hungry Ellis. Getting DeVito back from injury is a nice luxury/depth. Our sleeper is 2nd year player in Martin Tevaseu. Kid could end up providing strong depth to go along with DeVito and Ellis (depth) at 6'2/325 pounds.

All in all, Coples, Pouha, Wilkerson, DeVito, Ellis and Tevaseu create/combine for the deepest/most talented defensive front we've ever seen under coach Ryan. Because of this, our linebackers could end up having successful seasons. When running a 3-4 defense, you can never have enough LB's. David Harris is an All-Pro IMLB. Bart Scott is a veteran defensive leader who's always done a stout job in regards to taking up blocks. With our 3rd round draft pick in Demario Davis potentially/hopefully being able to spell Bart, Scott could end up having a very healthy/fresh/strong season. Aaron Maybin seems to be a pass rushing force, especially in obvious passing situations. Getting a veteran Bryan Thomas back could become key. Thomas has always been able to sniff out the run. Pace is a very good 3-4 OLB. May see Pace cause lots of havoc due to a re-vamped defensive line. Last but not least, Sapp is an unknown, time will tell. As I've stated, you can never have enough LB's and with Pace, Scott, Harris, Davis, Thomas, Maybin and Sapp? We're very deep in that regard.

The potential of this front 7 goes through the roof, especially when you consider the fact that we're featuring the strongest trio of coverage CB's around in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-10-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Imagine how relevant this would be if any of them actually started?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It is relevant, that's if you have any type of understanding of how important depth becomes on an NFL roster. Are you truthfully saying that depth isn't relevant in regards to an NFL defense?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Why do you say that?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    If you don't think Maybin, Davis and Sapp will see (meaningful) minutes this year, you truly don't understand what Ryan is building here defensively. Especially as the season progresses. Bellore could get more "face time" too, especially in coverage.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Please pass the sugar plumbs.
    So Debbie how was your day?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    FF2= One of my favorite posters on Jets Insider

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Strong OP.

With the Jets featuring our strongest defensive front since Rex has been here, expect for our LB's to have very strong seasons. Wilkerson had an impact season as a rookie, and should also become much improved this up coming season, just due to the experience (knowledge of the position) that he gained with playing time as a rookie. It all starts with Pouha as our starting 3-4 NT though. This guy has developed into a top five 3-4 NT over the past couple of seasons. Has anchored 3 consecutive defenses in which have ranked top 5. Just an overall animal of a NT/DT. The drafting of arguably the most talented defensive lineman coming out of this years draft class in Quinton Coples could become huge for our defensive front 7. Wilkerson and Coples have the potential to form for the strongest DE duo that we've featured since Shaun Ellis and John Abraham. A 6'5, 346 pound NT/DT in Kenrick Ellis could also contribute this up coming season. Heading into his 2nd season with legal problems of his rookie season no more, I expect to see a focused/hungry Ellis. Getting DeVito back from injury is a nice luxury/depth. Our sleeper is 2nd year player in Martin Tevaseu. Kid could end up providing strong depth to go along with DeVito and Ellis (depth) at 6'2/325 pounds.

All in all, Coples, Pouha, Wilkerson, DeVito, Ellis and Tevaseu create/combine for the deepest/most talented defensive front we've ever seen under coach Ryan. Because of this, our linebackers could end up having successful seasons. When running a 3-4 defense, you can never have enough LB's. David Harris is an All-Pro IMLB. Bart Scott is a veteran defensive leader who's always done a stout job in regards to taking up blocks. With our 3rd round draft pick in Demario Davis potentially/hopefully being able to spell Bart, Scott could end up having a very healthy/fresh/strong season. Aaron Maybin seems to be a pass rushing force, especially in obvious passing situations. Getting a veteran Bryan Thomas back could become key. Thomas has always been able to sniff out the run. Pace is a very good 3-4 OLB. May see Pace cause lots of havoc due to a re-vamped defensive line. Last but not least, Sapp is an unknown, time will tell. As I've stated, you can never have enough LB's and with Pace, Scott, Harris, Davis, Thomas, Maybin and Sapp? We're very deep in that regard.

The potential of this front 7 goes through the roof, especially when you consider the fact that we're featuring the strongest trio of coverage CB's around in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson.
    Excellent points. I love our Dline! I think people are so afraid to raise their expectations because they don't want to be disappointed and I understand that. I just feel that for the first time in the Ryan ERA, we FINALLY have the personnel to play the way he really wants. This defense has the potential to be scary good. Forget about top 5 rankings; I mean DOMINANT, good.

If you took the same defensive team and dropped them in another teams uniform, put Rex at the head of it, and folks would be saying, "Look out for So and So! They are Loaded!!"

Now lets see if Rex and co. can truly bring all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Excellent points. I love our Dline! I think people are so afraid to raise their expectations because they don't want to be disappointed and I understand that. I just feel that for the first time in the Ryan ERA, we FINALLY have the personnel to play the way he really wants. This defense has the potential to be scary good. Forget about top 5 rankings; I mean DOMINANT, good.

If you took the same defensive team and dropped them in another teams uniform, put Rex at the head of it, and folks would be saying, "Look out for So and So! They are Loaded!!"

Now lets see if Rex and co. can truly bring all together.
    I don't think many Jets fans realize how much the talent has been improved up front at the DL and LB positions. People still complain about the LB position, this thread nails it.

Add the mission of Ryan and the coaching staff to get faster this year, players losing weight and being in the best shape of their careers will be HUGE.

The talent added in Coples, Davis, Landry, Bell, and the two kid S's, Bush and Allen, to go along with our emerging talent at LB in Maybin, and maybe Sapp.

The rumors of the philosophy shifting to play more 46 defensive sets makes a lot of sense.

The pass rush has been the biggest Achilles heel of the defense, the one area where Ryan's defenses have lacked, I can easily see this being much improved with the talent upgrade this year.

If this unit stays healthy and players expected to emerge do so, the sky is the limit.

Jets will feature a ferocious and complete D this year. Open a can of whup a$$ on Brady, Pats trolls and their pervert high lord.

Bellore is fast?

Otherwise good post. Davis has the whole deal, not just speed...it's not groundbreaking here, but I get the feeling that in a few seasons to think we mentioned him with the likes of these other three will seem ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Bellore is fast?

Otherwise good post. Davis has the whole deal, not just speed...it's not groundbreaking here, but I get the feeling that in a few seasons to think we mentioned him with the likes of these other three will seem ridiculous.
    Well, Nick Bellore isn't blazing fast, but this 24 year old kid can move for a linebacker. Not expecting anything out of Bellore, other than contributing on special teams.

I agree with you in regards to Demario Davis. This kid has all the physical attributes/natural born leadership ability needed in order to develop into a very special player. He's an athletic freak of nature in regards to pure athleticism/strength. He ran a 4.61 forty, which was fast enough to rank 4th amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. We all asked for speed at the MLB position last season, we drafted just that in Demario Davis. He's also very powerful/strong. Put up 32 bench reps, which was good enough to rank 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. When reviewing his overall ability on tape, you'll notice that he's more than just fast and powerful, he's also very athletic for an MLB. Ranked 2nd amongst linebackers coming out in regards to vertical jumping ability, with a vert that measured out at 38.5''. Outside of the WR position, his vertical jump was good enough to land 5th place of all drafted players coming out. Last but not least (in regards to his physical athletic ability), Davis posted a 10'4'' broad jump, which was good enough to place 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of college. When in comparison to linebackers drafted this year, Davis ranked (at the combine) 2nd in bench pressing, 2nd highest vertical jump, 2nd furthest broad jump and 4th in the 40 yard dash.

Now, if you were to base his combine performances as well as intangibles (leadership ability), it would appear as if the Jets drafted a top 5 linebackers talent. Has the overall physical ability/talent/potential to become a steal of a 3rd round draft pick. Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis will provide our front 7 with the type of speed that we've needed for a couple of years now. If he's able to spell Bart Scott as our 3rd IMLB, Scott could end up having a very solid/healthy season as well. If he's able to impact as a rookie, he could possibly man down the MLB position when running a 4-3 defense, because neither Harris nor Scott have the sideline to sideline speed/quickness needed in order to cause havoc as an MLB inside of a 4-3 scheme. Demario Davis just might.

We landed an all-pro type of IMLB in regards to David Harris, but we haven't drafted a player with this kid's physical attributes since Jonathan Vilma.

Coming out of college:

Davis ran a 4.61, 38.5 inch vert, 10-foot-4'' broad jump, 32 bench reps.

Vilma ran a 4.65, 37.0 inch vert, 10-foot-1'' broad jump, 23 bench reps.

And as we all know, Jonathan Vilma went on to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Not saying that Davis will compete for the ROY award (behind both Harris and Scott on the depth charts) but his potential is very high. Coach Ryan seems to love his leadership ability as well. I believe we just drafted Scott's future replacement. Time will tell.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-11-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Well, Nick Bellore isn't blazing fast, but this 24 year old kid can move for a linebacker. Not expecting anything out of Bellore, other than contributing on special teams.

I agree with you in regards to Demario Davis. This kid has all the physical attributes/natural born leadership ability needed in order to develop into a very special player. He's an athletic freak of nature in regards to pure athleticism/strength. He ran a 4.61 forty, which was fast enough to rank 4th amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. We all asked for speed at the MLB position last season, we drafted just that in Demario Davis. He's also very powerful/strong. Put up 32 bench reps, which was good enough to rank 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. When reviewing his overall ability on tape, you'll notice that he's more than just fast and powerful, he's also very athletic for an MLB. Ranked 2nd amongst linebackers coming out in regards to vertical jumping ability, with a vert that measured out at 38.5''. Outside of the WR position, his vertical jump was good enough to land 5th place of all drafted players coming out. Last but not least (in regards to his physical athletic ability), Davis posted a 10'4'' broad jump, which was good enough to place 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of college. When in comparison to linebackers drafted this year, Davis ranked (at the combine) 2nd in bench pressing, 2nd highest vertical jump, 2nd furthest broad jump and 4th in the 40 yard dash.

Now, if you were to base his combine performances as well as intangibles (leadership ability), it would appear as if the Jets drafted a top 5 linebackers talent. Has the overall physical ability/talent/potential to become a steal of a 3rd round draft pick. Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis will provide our front 7 with the type of speed that we've needed for a couple of years now. If he's able to spell Bart Scott as our 3rd IMLB, Scott could end up having a very solid/healthy season as well. If he's able to impact as a rookie, he could possibly man down the MLB position when running a 4-3 defense, because neither Harris nor Scott have the sideline to sideline speed/quickness needed in order to cause havoc as an MLB inside of a 4-3 scheme. Demario Davis just might.

We landed an all-pro type of IMLB in regards to David Harris, but we haven't drafted a player with this kid's physical attributes since Jonathan Vilma.

Coming out of college:

Davis ran a 4.61, 38.5 inch vert, 10-foot-4'' broad jump, 32 bench reps.

Vilma ran a 4.65, 37.0 inch vert, 10-foot-1'' broad jump, 23 bench reps.

And as we all know, Jonathan Vilma went on to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Not saying that Davis will compete for the ROY award (behind both Harris and Scott on the depth charts) but his potential is very high. Coach Ryan seems to love his leadership ability as well. I believe we just drafted Scott's future replacement. Time will tell.
    Now this is something that we can agree on.

I was a bit iffy at first on the Davis selection just because I was so gung-ho on the Jets taking Bobby Massie once he slipped to the 3rd round.

But with Demario's rare combination of strength, speed and uncanny leadership qualities, I can get on board with the pick.

It wouldn't surprise me that if by the end of the season, Bart Scott is all but completely phased out within this defense.

Although I don't really see the comparisons to Vilma.

Vilma has always been more of a "finesse" player. Meanwhile, Davis is about as physical and ferocious as it gets.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 07-11-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Now this is something that we can agree on.

I was a bit iffy at first on the Davis selection just because I was so gung-ho on the Jets taking Bobby Massie once he slipped to the 3rd round.

But with Demario's rare combination of strength, speed and uncanny leadership qualities, I can get on board with the pick.

It wouldn't surprise me that if by the end of the season, Bart Scott is all but completely phased out within this defense.

Although I don't really see the comparisons to Vilma.

Vilma has always been more of a "finesse" player. Meanwhile, Davis is about as physical and ferocious as it gets.
    We won't really know what we have in this kid until we see this rookie take the field, but it looks as if Rex and Tanny did their homework before the drafting of Demario Davis. As a fan base we all complained of lack of overall speed and athletic ability in regards to our linebackers, I'm almost positive that our front office drafting this kid wasn't by coincidence. Seems to be a well scouted player who fits a real need for our front 7.

I wasn't really comparing him to Vilma either, just pointing out that we haven't drafted a LB with his overall physical attributes since Vilma himself, although their pretty much the same in size/stature. Vilma is listed as being 6'1, 230 pounds. Davis is listed as being 6'2, 235 pounds. I could be wrong, but I believe that Davis is built for both the 3-4 IMLB as well as the 4-3 MLB defensive schemes. Davis seems to be a little heavier than Vilma which should help him in a 3-4 defense and only 7 pounds lighter when compared to Bart Scott (242). All in all, it seems as if he's just a natural middle linebacker regardless of defensive scheme.

I do agree that he does seem a lot more physical when compared to Vilma coming out of the U. Pay close attention to the 2nd play of this youtube video, if you have to rewind it a couple times; do it. You'll notice a player who not only uses his athletic ability, but also his mind (brain) in order to split two offensive lineman which was needed in order to help make a play in open space. Seems to read-and-react very well. You'll see his overall aggressive/power during the 3rd play (on special teams). Our John Conner of the MLB position. I'll let you break down the rest of the tape, with how you see it in your own eyes. Gotta love his closing speed too, watch on the fumble (how quickly he gets to the quarterback) and also pay attention to the quarterback sack, how quickly he closes in on tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cna0nfTnfoQ
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-11-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Banned
    Seems to have a strong football type of personality as well. It's scary that he performed better during his pro day when compared to the NFL combine (numbers I posted).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Tauul7xlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJJndcgzOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAoEh...eature=related
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.