Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sapp, Davis, Bellore and Maybin; The Fastest LB Group in Jets History?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    Maybin:
    He was pretty much thrown in the fire last season and he still ended up having a strong impact, even with a very limited role... I'm looking forward to see his production increase as his role is expanded... Especially now since he should have a stronger grasp of the Def. system...

Coples:
    Even though I don't know what type of Pro he will shape out to become, I've always been a fan of Butch Davis, as he has proven over time to have a gift in sniffing out talented football players that transition well to the NFL... Just recently saw Coples pro day footage, and I was impressed with how fluid he moves for a big dude... But in all honesty, I'm always excited about our #1 picks...

Pouha:
    I just think he is a great person to have on the DLine to mentor the younger guys... Always seems committed to enhance the cause in a positive way... Dude is also extremely consistent, which I think will ultimately speak volumes to the younger guys...

Honorable mention --- Davis:
    Everyone seems to be really high on his potential and leadership, especially Rex... I'm interested in seeing if the hype is real...
    I think Maybin and Coples on the same side of the field is going to be extremely hard to match up against. I expect a lot out of both.

Ricky Sapp I have no hope for.

I like Davis but it won't be long before he is considered a one trick pony around here.

Jets Insider VIP
    No mention of Garrett McIntyre?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Well, you thought wrong man.

Ferguson ran a 5.08 coming out.

Bellore ran a 4.84 coming out.

Bellore also ran a 4.0 20 yard shuffle, Vilma ran a 4.20 20 yard shuttle.

Belore isn't blazing fast as in speed, but he's very quick. Had a solid season on special teams coverage. I'm not expecting much of anything from Bellore, other than special teams production.
    I was just going by something I saw on another site before he was drafted.. At any rate Bellore is not that fast for a LB'er..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archi.../t-134734.html

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I think Maybin and Coples on the same side of the field is going to be extremely hard to match up against. I expect a lot out of both.

I like Davis but it won't be long before he is considered a one trick pony around here.
    Which trick would that be? Not being a smart ass. I just don't know of any one thing that he's supposed to be good at. Seems more like an, emotional all around athletic type.

Hall Of Fame

Gotta hate those guys that all they can do his be a sideline-to-sideline violent tackler.

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Which trick would that be? Not being a smart ass. I just don't know of any one thing that he's supposed to be good at. Seems more like an, emotional all around athletic type.
    I could only foresee many calling him an oversized safety, not good at the point of attack.

All Pro
    I could only foresee many calling him an oversized safety, not good at the point of attack.
    Well we could use someone that can cover a tight end on passing downs. If that's his one trick, I'll be on board with that. He's big enough if we go 4 3, or 46. Then there is no point of attack.

All League
    nvm

Sapp interests me, he could be that additional edge rusher we need

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    He is closer to slow. He won't play three downs in the NFL because of his speed. So including him in that group hurts the argument
    Nick ran a 4.76 at his Pro Day 3/14/11 and slipped on a bad joke

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I'm expecting Bellore to have a break out monster year.
    I have the same feeling. Lets hope we are right! The guy is as intense and strong as can be.

Odds Aren’t Quite as Long for Bellore This Time
    Posted by Randy Lange on May 30, 2012 – 3:35 pm

We’ve been hearing a lot about the bodily transformations going on in the Jets locker room thanks in part to the guidance from strength coach Bill Hughan and his staff. Bart Scott’s dropped 20 pounds and is looking, in Mike Pettine’s words, “is running around like a young Bart.” Kenrick Ellis has shed 15 pounds from last year’s 346-pound playing weight and wants to get rid of 5 more. Joe McKnight told us he’s added 15 pounds of muscle and lost no speed.

Add Nick Bellore to the list. As he walks through the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room, there’s a sense that his back muscles are rippling just a little bit more than the mind’s eye recalled a year ago, when he was the Jets’ undrafted rookie find out of Central Michigan.

But the Jets’ second-year linebacker and kick-coverage leader said the numbers in his case might lie.

“I weigh about the same as last year, around 245,” Bellore said. “But I’ve improved my body. Moving around, I can tell how I’m looking and how I feel. I’ve got the size to be able to handle my linebacker duties and I still have my speed for all the special-teams stuff.”

For Bellore, that’s important. Mike Westhoff and Ben Kotwica, watching glumly as the Jets had to release their top three ST tacklers/performers from the ’10 team in Lance Laury, James Ihedigbo and Brad Smith, needed some holdovers and new talent to step up and fill the void. They got that from the likes of Josh Mauga, Garrett McIntyre and Jamaal Westerman … and Bellore.

The Jets early on noted that Bellore could be one of their undrafted signees who might be able to break through to the roster. And they were right. He led the Jets with 22 solo and 31 total kick-coverage tackles (Mauga was second with 14 and 20). Many of the stops came for the kickoff team, which was sixth in the NFL in opponents’ average start after kickoffs (21.2-yard line) and third in the league in inside-the-20 stops on KO returns (26, behind New England’s 30 and Atlanta’s 28).

Bellore acknowledges he’s got a leg up on all the new guys in green trying to gain spots on the six special units.

“I think camp’s going to be easier for me,” he said after the last OTA practice of last week. “I know what’s around the corner. I’m more comfortable. I can just play football. That first year, you’ve got to meet everybody, get to know everybody.”

Now he’s got to fend off those who are out to bump him down the depth chart if not off the roster. The most dangerous player for Bellore probably is third-round rookie Demario Davis, whom Westhoff was very pleased to hear had fallen to the Jets with the 77th pick of last month’s draft. He has the speed and smarts to make an impact on specials right away and the upside to grow into a player at inside ‘backer behind David Harris and Scott, which is where Mauga and Bellore now reside.

“Demario’s a nice kid and a good football player. He picks things up fast,” Bellore assessed. “I have to take special teams and lead the group by making plays. Dave’s in front of me and he’s a great player. We have a bunch of great inside linebackers. I’m just continuing to learn so I don’t miss a beat.”

Bellore knows what’s ahead. He knows it won’t be easy. But he knows he’s done it before and he plans to do it again.

“It’s never going to be easy for me,” he said. “I’m always going to have to fight the odds.”
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 07-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4513080]I was just going by something I saw on another site before he was drafted.. At any rate Bellore is not that fast for a LB'er..

[
    ... Home > CMU Chippewas > Saginaw Sports
    Nick Bellore leads Central Michigan University hopefuls during NFL Pro Day
    Published: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
    By Hugh Bernreuter | hbernreu@mlive.com The Saginaw News

Associated Press- Nick Bellore leads the list of CMU draft hopefuls.
    MOUNT PLEASANT - Central Michigan University linebacker Nick Bellore is the highest-rated Chippewa in this year's NFL draft, but he was joined by plenty of teammates for CMU's Pro Day workouts Monday.

Also working out for scouts from 19 different NFL teams were Jake Ekkens, Brett Hartmann, Bobby Seay, Sean Murnane, Vince Agnew, Kito Poblah, Jeff Maddux, Colin Miller and Matt Berning.

Bellore ran a 4.73 and 4.65 40-yard dash, while Berning worked out as both a linebacker and fullback.

Although Bellore may be the only CMU player drafted, Mount Pleasant has become a top attraction for undrafted free agents after the success of Cullen Jenkins and Frank Zombo with the Green Bay Packers last season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It seems that there are all kinds of quotes re Bellore's speed or lack of it. I think we will soon find out about Bellore. We do know he is intense and strong! I think Rex will find a way to use his intensity well for our defensive schemes. But we will soon see for ourselves.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 07-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Gotta hate those guys that all they can do his be a sideline-to-sideline violent tackler.

_
    Absolutely. When we already have such a luxury of ferrari linebackers from last year what do we need Davis and his "one trick" for???

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Stopped reading there.

Thomas was slow-footed when we drafted him, let alone now at 33 and coming off a major injury.
    That's the problem; YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT READING.

Thomas was never slow footed especially for his size; go back and read the reports on him coming out of college. He never developed into a good pass rusher but doesn't mean he couldn't move and was one of our best run defenders partially because he could cover ground. Granted we have to see how he plays coming off the injury, in but to say Thomas was slow footed before this is just stupid, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    this will be a very good defense but what i also see is enough depth to keep these guys fresh when they go against hurry up offenses of the patsies and others. and the lb's will have the speed to cover guys like gronkowski and hernandez.
    Every team in the league is imagining their talented draft is going to lead them to the super bowl. Same for the Jets. Will these players step up no one knows

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I don't think many Jets fans realize how much the talent has been improved up front at the DL and LB positions. People still complain about the LB position, this thread nails it.

Add the mission of Ryan and the coaching staff to get faster this year, players losing weight and being in the best shape of their careers will be HUGE.

The talent added in Coples, Davis, Landry, Bell, and the two kid S's, Bush and Allen, to go along with our emerging talent at LB in Maybin, and maybe Sapp.

The rumors of the philosophy shifting to play more 46 defensive sets makes a lot of sense.

The pass rush has been the biggest Achilles heel of the defense, the one area where Ryan's defenses have lacked, I can easily see this being much improved with the talent upgrade this year.

If this unit stays healthy and players expected to emerge do so, the sky is the limit.
    Not saying your wrong ... But your confidence is rediculous. We are VERY green up front. And not Jet Green. If the plan plays out as designed you will be spot on ... I suggest you watch 'a bridge too far' to see how grand plans can go wrong ...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Not saying your wrong ... But your confidence is rediculous. We are VERY green up front. And not Jet Green. If the plan plays out as designed you will be spot on ... I suggest you watch 'a bridge too far' to see how grand plans can go wrong ...
    Wow, what an outlook....

The best plans of mice and men... yeah we got it.

Where are you getting this Green upfront thing from? We have a team with solid veterans like Pouha, Devito, Pace, Harris, Thomas and Scott bolstered by young talented players like Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, Dixon, MTV, Maybin, Davis and perhaps Sapp. I don't see where they are so green at. The bottom line is you can make an argument that almost every team has young, less or inexperienced players counted on to make a contribution this year whether on the dline, oline etc. We will see how everything plays out but there is no denying the talent level upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Wow, what an outlook....

The best plans of mice and men... yeah we got it.

Where are you getting this Green upfront thing from? We have a team with solid veterans like Pouha, Devito, Pace, Harris, Thomas and Scott bolstered by young talented players like Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, Dixon, MTV, Maybin, Davis and perhaps Sapp. I don't see where they are so green at. The bottom line is you can make an argument that almost every team has young, less or inexperienced players counted on to make a contribution this year whether on the dline, oline etc. We will see how everything plays out but there is no denying the talent level upfront.
    I don't know where he got his green upfront from. Pouha, DeVito, Wilks (who played lights out as a rookie), Dixon etc.

Where's the greenery? Seems to me he can't see the forest for the trees.

I like to consider myself decently well-informed about the comings and goings of this team, and I have to say, I have no idea where this Bellore talk is coming from. I've never thought of him as anything more than special teams/sixth linebacker type guy. Hope I'm wrong, but this is the first I'm hearing of his supposedly outrageous upside.

Davis I like a lot. Put a gun to my head and I'd say not-quite-pro-bowl level every-down player in the long-run. Which is awesome in the third round.

I would actually put Maybin and Coples on opposite sides of the field, since they give you a kind of yin-yang effect that way, with questionable-against-the-run Maybin behind the stouter run-defender in Wilkerson, and the versatile Pace behind the unknown quantity in Coples. But I'm not an NFL coach so I could be talking out of my a$$.

Exclamation

HOMERS,

I hate to rain/pi$$ on your parade, but a chain is only as strong as its WEAKEST link.

Regardless of a solid DL, fast LB's, and star CB's, Jimmy Leonard is coming off of a major injury and Eric Smith just plain BLOWS in coverage.
    I am hopeful that Landry can defend against top passers like Brady, but without Leonard, we are still one player short. Smith just doesnt cut it as an NFL-caliber safety, especially in pass coverage.

In this (NFL) age of PASS-CATCHING TE's, the safety position makes a huge difference, and we still have a problem there...

B.