Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez made a lot of improvements during his 3rd season last year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    two different QBs can progress along similar paths yet develop into entirely different players. Just because one becomes 'elite' certainly can't be extrapolated to the other.
    ... no argument on that ... which is why i said

ljr - which is what we as jet fans are hoping will happen for us this year

... you also said ...

GY - I can't see them cutting him before then due to the cap implications, so I'm not sure that this is really a 'make or break' year at all.
    ... i believe you made a mistake and quoted me but are actually responding to mainejet ...

my quote was:

ljr - ... i agree with you that this is a big year for mark ... what i want to see is a 5-10% improvement in completion % and turnover #'s ...

... if he doesn't show at least that i believe a move will be made for legit competion (of which tebow is not) to be brought in ... and sanchez vs. a mid-level veteran will be an open training camp battle in his year 5 ...

GY- I'm not sure 5-10% is enough. I think he's got to become at least a top 15 QB to keep his job and have the FO not look elsewhere. He does that, and the Jets have a fighting chance.

... disagree with you here ... if the bar is moving the right direction i feel they FO will stick with sanchez ... and i believe it will be the right decision ... jmo ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Based on what? Regurgitated cherry-picked stats?
    Providing overall statistics of Mark Sanchez during his first 3 seasons in the league isn't considered to be "Cherry-Picking". You only consider actual examples of development/improvements as being "cherry-picked"; due to the simple fact that you've always posted with a serious 'agenda' when in regards to posting anything Mark Sanchez related. He's improved each of his first 3 seasons since being drafted into this league, and only a nay-saying negative Sanchez critic would continue to say otherwise.

Sanchez of 2009: 196/364, 2,444 yards, 53.8%, 15 TD's/20 INT's (10 fumbles) an INT ratio of 1 INT thrown per every 18.2 pass attempts, a fumble ratio of 1 fumble per every 36.4 drops backs; QB Rating of 63.0.

Sanchez of 2011: 308/543, 3,474 yards, 56.7%, 32 TD's/18 INT's (10 fumbles), an INT ratio of 1 INT thrown per every 30.1 pass attempts, a fumble ratio of 1 fumble per every 54.3 drop backs; QB Rating of 78.2.

Anyone who hasn't seen overall improvements out of Mark Sanchez during each of the past 3 seasons is either completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall Quarterback Development. Thankfully I'm not, and as a fan of the game, understand that growing pains and NFL learning curves are bound to happen in regards to developing franchise quarterbacks. Thankfully I took the time to understand that Sanchez was as raw as they come heading into the NFL back in only 2009 ala only one season of college starting experience with USC. Thankfully, as a fan of the game, I understand that Sanchez has only played 3 seasons and most NFL quarterbacks don't breakout until their 4th and 5th seasons as being truly elite. Sanchez has improved each of his first 3 years of play since being drafted, but then again, you'd only have to watch (and analyze) the games in order to see the the overall difference/development/progression that Sanchez has made over the past 3 seasons. The providing of NFL statistics are aimed directly at these types of fans who've acted as if Sanchez has continued to take "steps back", when in actual reality, has improved each of his first 3 seasons since being drafted by the Jets. Anyone who not only fails to see this, but also refuses to acknowledge his overall improvements (each of the past 3 years) are nothing more than clueless, nay-saying, negative Sanchez critics; who must be completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall quarterback development.

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was blunt in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN, saying Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be” and adding, “No, he didn’t play well.

I'll go with the GM of the NY Jets on this one and not homers on a message board. A guy who's known to put a positive spin on just about anything didn't do that here. I wonder why?

I guess Tannenbaum is a SOJF?

I love how you've conveniently, more like pathetically (continued) to leave out the remaining portion of this article, where you've tried to paint our G.M as "throwing Sanchez under the bus". This is the 4th or 5th time you've quoted that quote. Why have you refused to include the remaining article? The answer to this question is quite simple. Like I've mentioned time and time again, you post with a serious agenda against Sanchez, therefor, you conveniently, more like pathetically include the bad but (intentionally) delete the good (when posting a quote and/or article) in order to criticize Sanchez (in a negative light).

You oh so conveniently, more like pathetically, (purposely) left out these quotes of Tanny (in regards to Mark Sanchez)....

However, Tannenbaum defended Sanchez as the right choice to lead the team going forward, noting that Sanchez has the right mentality. "The thing that I am thrilled about Mark is his intangibles, and his work ethic, and his character,” Tannenbaum said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger. I know we have the right person, I know he has the right traits and attributes, I know he is made for this market. He plays better in big games, and we have to cut down on his turnovers, and improve his footwork and decision-making and all the other fundamentals. But he’s the right guy, and I know we’ll see a better Mark out there next year.”

You forgot to include the parts where Tanny defended our Franchise Quarterback while considering him the right choice at Quarterback moving forward. You failed to mention the parts where our GM made it clear that he believes that Sanchez has the right mentality in regards to leading the Jets moving forward. You've completely refused to include the part where our GM makes it known that he's thrilled with our quarterbacks intangibles, character and work ethic. You failed to mention the parts where Tanny stated that Sanchez has all the right traits and attributes in regards to being make for this New York market. He also stated that Sanchez plays his best football during big games, and needs to cut down on his turnovers, improve his footwork, decision-making (fundamentals) while making it known that Sanchez is the right guy, and believes (knows) we’ll see a better Mark out there next year.

So instead, what does a nay-saying negative Sanchez critic such as yourself decide to do? Attach yourself to one comment and harp all over the fact that Tanny stated Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be”. You also failed to mention, that even after this interview, months later; that our GM in Mike Tannenbaum gave Mark Sanchez a 3 year contract extension as his Quarterback moving forward.

The reason why our GM has given Sanchez a 3 year contract extension? It's simple. He's been to two AFC Championship Game appearances during his first 3 years in the league, has one of the highest postseason QB Ratings of all-time, one of the youngest QB's to ever win 30 games during his first 3 seasons and last but not least? Tanny has stated this himself (with his own words), that he believes Sanchez is the right choice, feels that Sanchez has the right mentality, thrilled with Sanchez's intangibles, character and work ethic, believes that Sanchez not only has all the right traits and attributes, but also feels that Sanchez is made for the New York Market, understands that Sanchez plays his best during big games (the postseason) and in closing; knows (key word being 'knows') that Sanchez will improve as a 4th year quarter during the 2012 NFL season. 3 year contract extension.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Providing overall statistics of Mark Sanchez during his first 3 seasons in the league isn't considered to be "Cherry-Picking". You only consider actual examples of development/improvements as being "cherry-picked"; due to the simple fact that you've always posted with a serious 'agenda' when in regards to posting anything Mark Sanchez related. He's improved each of his first 3 seasons since being drafted into this league, and only a nay-saying negative Sanchez critic would continue to say otherwise.

Sanchez of 2009: 196/364, 2,444 yards, 53.8%, 15 TD's/20 INT's (10 fumbles) an INT ratio of 1 INT thrown per every 18.2 pass attempts, a fumble ratio of 1 fumble per every 36.4 drops backs; QB Rating of 63.0.

Sanchez of 2011: 308/543, 3,474 yards, 56.7%, 32 TD's/18 INT's (10 fumbles), an INT ratio of 1 INT thrown per every 30.1 pass attempts, a fumble ratio of 1 fumble per every 54.3 drop backs; QB Rating of 78.2.

Anyone who hasn't seen overall improvements out of Mark Sanchez during each of the past 3 seasons is either completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall Quarterback Development. Thankfully I'm not, and as a fan of the game, understand that growing pains and NFL learning curves are bound to happen in regards to developing franchise quarterbacks. Thankfully I took the time to understand that Sanchez was as raw as they come heading into the NFL back in only 2009 ala only one season of college starting experience with USC. Thankfully, as a fan of the game, I understand that Sanchez has only played 3 seasons and most NFL quarterbacks don't breakout until their 4th and 5th seasons as being truly elite. Sanchez has improved each of his first 3 years of play since being drafted, but then again, you'd only have to watch (and analyze) the games in order to see the the overall difference/development/progression that Sanchez has made over the past 3 seasons. The providing of NFL statistics are aimed directly at these types of fans who've acted as if Sanchez has continued to take "steps back", when in actual reality, has improved each of his first 3 seasons since being drafted by the Jets. Anyone who not only fails to see this, but also refuses to acknowledge his overall improvements (each of the past 3 years) are nothing more than clueless, nay-saying, negative Sanchez critics; who must be completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall quarterback development.

I love how you've conveniently, more like pathetically (continued) to leave out the remaining portion of this article, where you've tried to paint our G.M as "throwing Sanchez under the bus". This is the 4th or 5th time you've quoted that quote. Why have you refused to include the remaining article? The answer to this question is quite simple. Like I've mentioned time and time again, you post with a serious agenda against Sanchez, therefor, you conveniently, more like pathetically include the bad but (intentionally) delete the good (when posting a quote and/or article) in order to criticize Sanchez (in a negative light).

You oh so conveniently, more like pathetically, (purposely) left out these quotes of Tanny (in regards to Mark Sanchez)....

However, Tannenbaum defended Sanchez as the right choice to lead the team going forward, noting that Sanchez has the right mentality. "The thing that I am thrilled about Mark is his intangibles, and his work ethic, and his character,” Tannenbaum said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger. I know we have the right person, I know he has the right traits and attributes, I know he is made for this market. He plays better in big games, and we have to cut down on his turnovers, and improve his footwork and decision-making and all the other fundamentals. But he’s the right guy, and I know we’ll see a better Mark out there next year.”

You forgot to include the parts where Tanny defended our Franchise Quarterback while considering him the right choice at Quarterback moving forward. You failed to mention the parts where our GM made it clear that he believes that Sanchez has the right mentality in regards to leading the Jets moving forward. You've completely refused to include the part where our GM makes it known that he's thrilled with our quarterbacks intangibles, character and work ethic. You failed to mention the parts where Tanny stated that Sanchez has all the right traits and attributes in regards to being make for this New York market. He also stated that Sanchez plays his best football during big games, and needs to cut down on his turnovers, improve his footwork, decision-making (fundamentals) while making it known that Sanchez is the right guy, and believes (knows) we’ll see a better Mark out there next year.

So instead, what does a nay-saying negative Sanchez critic such as yourself decide to do? Attach yourself to one comment and harp all over the fact that Tanny stated Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be”. You also failed to mention, that even after this interview, months later; that our GM in Mike Tannenbaum gave Mark Sanchez a 3 year contract extension as his Quarterback moving forward.

The reason why our GM has given Sanchez a 3 year contract extension? It's simple. He's been to two AFC Championship Game appearances during his first 3 years in the league, has one of the highest postseason QB Ratings of all-time, one of the youngest QB's to ever win 30 games during his first 3 seasons and last but not least? Tanny has stated this himself (with his own words), that he believes Sanchez is the right choice, feels that Sanchez has the right mentality, thrilled with Sanchez's intangibles, character and work ethic, believes that Sanchez not only has all the right traits and attributes, but also feels that Sanchez is made for the New York Market, understands that Sanchez plays his best during big games (the postseason) and in closing; knows (key word being 'knows') that Sanchez will improve as a 4th year quarter during the 2012 NFL season. 3 year contract extension.

The rest was typical Tannenbaum sugar-coating. What else is he supposed to say? I don't think Sanchez is the right QB and then extend his contract?

Hurts when your own GM says he hasn't progressed as hoped doesn't it? Kinda undercuts all your 1,000 word posts.
    Last edited by Jordy; 07-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Anyone who hasn't seen overall improvements out of Mark Sanchez during each of the past 3 seasons is either completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall Quarterback Development.

Anyone who not only fails to see this, but also refuses to acknowledge his overall improvements (each of the past 3 years) are nothing more than clueless, nay-saying, negative Sanchez critics; who must be completely clueless or completely blind in regards to overall quarterback development.

I love how you've conveniently, more like pathetically Like I've mentioned time and time again, you post with a serious agenda against Sanchez, therefor, you conveniently, more like pathetically include the bad but (intentionally) delete the good (when posting a quote and/or article) in order to criticize Sanchez (in a negative light).

What's with all the personal attacks DCW?

Are you getting frustrated?

Jets Insider VIP
    Here it comes....

Based on what? Regurgitated cherry-picked stats?

Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was blunt in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN, saying Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be” and adding, “No, he didn’t play well.

I'll go with the GM of the NY Jets on this one and not homers on a message board. A guy who's known to put a positive spin on just about anything didn't do that here. I wonder why?

I guess Tannenbaum is a SOJF?

Try pulling your head out of your ass, and putting away your homer patrol badge once and a while and actually ****ing read my posts.

The only SPIN is the same tired BS you spew on this site almost daily, that I and about 15 others are tired of reading.

Your bull**** agenda is growing tired.

Our GM gave Sanchez an extension, instead of bringing in Peyton Manning, he's banking on Sanchez future and gave him a contract extension to support that confidence, while also adding flexibility if things don't turn out well, an outstanding contract, for both player and team.

I don't dispute Sanchez had his moments, but Maine is essentially writing off Sanchez with complete BULL****, lamont_jordan_rules pretty much nails it, he nail my thoughts, expectations, and I agree that this is the year Sanchez needs to make a jump.

How is any of this me being a homer?

It's sad I have to say this to a 50 year old, but grow up, you ****ing jackass!!

What's with all the personal attacks DCW?

Are you getting frustrated?
    This post reeks of your entire agenda lately on this board.

You get off getting a rise from posters on a message board

Your mantra is about being the biggest douchebag you can be to piss them off..

I love the phony offense taken when you get what you're looking for, and suddenly, you're the victim.

Is your life that shallow, that you have to be such a dickbag?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Try pulling your head out of your ass, and putting away your homer patrol badge once and a while and actually ****ing read my posts.

The only SPIN is the same tired BS you spew on this site almost daily, that I and about 15 others are tired of reading.

Our GM gave Sanchez an extension, instead of bringing in Peyton Manning, he's banking on Sanchez future and gave him a contract extension to support that confidence, while also adding flexibility if things don't turn out well, an outstanding contract, for both player and team.

I don't dispute Sanchez had his moments, but Maine is essentially writing off Sanchez with complete BULL****, lamont_jordan_rules pretty much nails it, he nail my thoughts, expectations, and I agree that this is the year Sanchez needs to make a jump.

It's sad I have to say this to a 50 year old, but grow up, you ****ing jackass!!
    The Jets didn't choose Sanchez over Manning. By all accounts, they were prepared to put on a full court press for Peyton but he shot them down early in the process. The guy just simply didn't want to come here.

So basically, the Jets gave Sanchez a makeup kiss on the cheek in the form of a 3 year contract extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The Jets didn't choose Sanchez over Manning. By all accounts, they were prepared to put on a full court press for Peyton but he shot them down early in the process. The guy just simply didn't want to come here.

So basically, the Jets gave Sanchez a makeup kiss on the cheek in the form of a 3 year contract extension.
    By what accounts?

The Sanchez deal was done within 24 hours after FA started, if they were prepared to put on a full court press on Manning, there is no way Manning shoots them down, and the deal, that both sides admitted was already in the works for several weeks before the start of FA happens within 24 hours.

Jets Insider VIP

So after reading through all of your personal attacks and F bombs, I still don't see you refuting what our own GM said.

Another story reported this, "The Jets extended Sanchez after a season in which they openly admitted they weren't pleased with his rate of development. The announcement came only hours after they were eliminated from the Manning sweepstakes."

Our GM admits this publicly, but you and DWC continually argue that he's wrong. Who should we believe?

The funniest thing about your posts is your constant denial that you are a homer. If we put together a Top 5 list on this board for homers, you would certainly be there.
    Last edited by Jordy; 07-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Very true. If Manning showed a little interest in the Jets there would have been the full court press applied to signing him. At least Manning told the Jets from the beginning that NY was not going to be an option. The Sanchez extension was a good faith measure to Mark as well as clearing some cap room.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Very true. If Manning showed a little interest in the Jets there would have been the full court press applied to signing him. At least Manning told the Jets from the beginning that NY was not going to be an option. The Sanchez extension was a good faith measure to Mark as well as clearing some cap room.
    Exactly, it was partly a "public gesture" to show confidence in him and hopefully avoid the "Sanchez was our 2nd choice" message.

Hall Of Fame
    By what accounts?

The Sanchez deal was done within 24 hours after FA started, if they were prepared to put on a full court press on Manning, there is no way Manning shoots them down, and the deal, that both sides admitted was already in the works for several weeks before the start of FA happens within 24 hours.

So you dont think its likely that Manning told the Jets before free agency started that he had no interest in them, thus allowing the Jets to offer Mark his deal right away?

By what accounts?

Peyton Manning was released the Tuesday before the start of free agency. As a vested veteran, he immediately became a free agent and able to talk to and sign any team he wanted to even before free agency began. Sanchez's new deal was announced on Friday night. Odds are teams were talking to Tom Condon, Manning's agent, about Manning since the Combine. Odds are good that the Jets knew they were out of the running by Tueday afternoon at the latest and gave them three days to negotiate a deal with Sanchez.

Sanchez's contract wasn't all that complex. All it really did was tack on a couple of more years in exchange of guarantying his salary over the next two years. A contract like that can be hammered out in a day if both sides are agreeable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So you dont think its likely that Manning told the Jets before free agency started that he had no interest in them, thus allowing the Jets to offer Mark his deal right away?
    Throughout the offseason, coach Rex Ryan has said repeatedly he expects Sanchez to be the starter, but he fueled the Manning speculation by refusing to rule out a potential run at the future Hall of Famer.

Sanchez hasn't commented -- he hasn't spoken with reporters since the end of the season -- but there's concern within the organization that his confidence and stature in the locker room could be damaged by the Manning flirtation.

The Jets were one of 12 teams to reach out to Manning's representatives, sources said. It was a "cursory" phone call to gauge Manning's interest in them, one source said. Evidently, there wasn't much

This would explain two things. What you say, that Manning let the Jets know early on that they weren't on HIS list. Secondly, the Sanchez extension was, in part, damage control. The Jets didn't want to go into the season with a QB who was feeling dissed, further eating into his already battered confidence.

Hall Of Fame
    We were never in the Manning sweepstakes for reasons too numerous and well documented to rehash here. We simply were not. Even so, we waited and gave it a shot. Good GM due diligence right there.

If we were convinced on Sanchez then we could have avoided any questions by simply extending his contract before Peyton was on the market. We did not do that. We waited. Once Peyton made it clear we were not even in the running, Mike Tannenbaum threw a consolation prize to Sanchez.

Banned
    Tanny never had to extend Sanchez, but he did. 3 years. Did he extend Vernon Gholston in order to "save his own rep"? No. His draft status speaks for himself. He released Gholston because he wasn't in our future plans. He extended Sanchez for a reason, because he's developing into our Franchise QB. Tanny never "had to extend the contract of Mark Sanchez". He could have waited for his contract to expire in order to let him walk and/or drafted a QB during the first round of this years draft (by once again, trading up). He extended Sanchez for 3 years, because he believes in Mark. Point, blank, period.

Hall Of Fame
    Tanny never had to extend Sanchez, but he did. 3 years. Did he extend Vernon Gholston in order to "save his own rep"? No. His draft status speaks for himself. He released Gholston because he wasn't in our future plans. He extended Sanchez for a reason, because he's developing into our Franchise QB. Tanny never "had to extend the contract of Mark Sanchez". He could have waited for his contract to expire in order to let him walk and/or drafted a QB during the first round of this years draft (by once again, trading up). He extended Sanchez for 3 years, because he believes in Mark. Point, blank, period.
    They restructured Mark because it also created cap room and allowed them to do it without having to commit to Mark for an extended period of time. It also was not a 3 year extension, it was a restructuring. All it did was shuffle around the guaranteed money.

As far as your Gholston comment.....not really sure where that has any relevance.

Jets Insider VIP
    He extended Sanchez for a reason, because he's developing into our Franchise QB.
    So, on the one hand, Tannebaum says that Mark is not developing as he had hoped he would and is not pleased with his rate of development, but, on the other hand, he gave Mark an extension because he's developing into our franchise QB?

Got it.

Veteran
    Did I actually hear a "the Jets pursued Peyton Manning because they have no confidence in Sanchez arguement"? Sheeesh, OF COURSE he looked into Manning, it's Peyton FREAKING Manning. You guys using this situation are the first that would have called for Tanny's head if he didn't look into it..GOOD GRIEF (sorry Charlie Brown).