Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez made a lot of improvements during his 3rd season last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Perception vs. Reality

No small stretch of games is truly indicative of what a player is, or is not. It's a small sample.... that's it. Sanchez has had some great stretches, as well as some bad ones.... but, he's a professional athlete, with the drive to improve, so , I personally, am supportive of him without being a "homer" or "apologist".... because I believe he will improve.
    I keep hearing words like "elite" and "franchise"..... which have been thrown around, ad nauseum. What makes a QB, "elite".... how many ESPN talking heads they can get up their ass? What makes a "franchise" QB? To me, a guy that was picked in the 1st round, has started since day one, and has the contractual support of his team IS a franchise QB.
    I keep hearing trolls, and fans, as well, say that he was handed everything, he had no one to push him, he pouts after a bad play, etc..... without realistically looking at it, objectively. He had a good defense and running game, in his first two years.... and he was growing with them. They get the credit for getting to the AFCCGs, but Sanchez gets the blame for losing them... undeservedly so. I don't remember anyone being there to push P. Manning, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, E. Manning, or Brady. However, it's widely perceived that Sanchez needs it. As far as "pouting".... he's an emotional kid-- he also cheers after good plays. So what if he's upset after a bad play? I want my QB to be mad.... I don't consider it "pouting". If it is pouting, then I think that label belongs to the Mannings and Brady, as well.
    Here are the last 5 playoff games of two different QBs, which one is "elite"?

29/48, 266 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 5.54 yards per attempt
    23/42, 154 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 3.67 yards per attempt
    29/45, 299 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 6.64 yards per attempt
    26/34, 363 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 10.68 yards per attempt
    22/36, 239 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 6.64 yards per attempt

12/23, 100 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4.35 yards per attempt
    17/30, 257 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 8.57 yards per attempt
    18/31, 189 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 6.10 yards per attempt
    16/25, 194 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 7.76 yards per attempt
    20/33, 233 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 7.06 yards per attempt
    Good post. I still don't see how Sanchez regressed last year and I think he made some big improvements. I think he would be even better if we shipped Holmes off to another team. That guy has been nothing but a detriment to Marks growth since we got him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was injured the last 6 games of the season... just saying.

That being said, as a Sanchez supporter, you can't cherry pick stats.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Good post. I still don't see how Sanchez regressed last year and I think he made some big improvements. I think he would be even better if we shipped Holmes off to another team. That guy has been nothing but a detriment to Marks growth since we got him.
    Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was blunt in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN, saying Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be” and adding, “No, he didn’t play well.

I know. This is silly. It's only the GM of the Jets saying this.

Posters on this board with their stats and stuff know more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Sanchez has been a franchise Quarterback for us, he's started since day one, and he's still developing his overall talents as an NFL starting quarterback. A franchise quarterback is someone in which you can actually build your franchise/team around. We've done just that since the drafting of Sanchez.

Since the drafting of Sanchez back in 2009, we've since extended Ferguson, Mangold, Revis and Harris long term. We've traded for Cromartie followed by extending Cromartie long term. We've traded for both Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, traded a fourth and sixth round draft for a 7th rounder and Tim Tebow and we've also added free agents such as Aaron Maybin, Ricky Sapp, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Brodney Pool, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Martin Tevaseu, Marcus Dixon, Chaz Schilens, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell and we've also drafted players such as Shonn Greene, Matthew Slauson, Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Joe McKNight, John Conner, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis etc, etc.

Not all of these moves have worked out, but you can't deny the fact that we're building our team around Sanchez.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was blunt in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN, saying Sanchez’s growth as a quarterback “isn’t where it needs to be” and adding, “No, he didn’t play well.

I know. This is silly. It's only the GM of the Jets saying this.

Posters on this board with their stats and stuff know more.
    It's hilarious (more like down right pathetic) how you've conveniently left out the parts where Tannenbaum supported Sanchez by stating...

"However, Tannenbaum defended Sanchez as the right choice to lead the team going forward, noting that Sanchez has the right mentality. “The thing that I am thrilled about Mark is his intangibles, and his work ethic, and his character,” Tannenbaum said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger. I know we have the right person, I know he has the right traits and attributes, I know he is made for this market. He plays better in big games, and we have to cut down on his turnovers, and improve his footwork and decision-making and all the other fundamentals. But he’s the right guy, and I know we’ll see a better Mark out there next year.”

I'll take what my GM, offensive coordinator (Sparano) and head coach (Ryan) have to say about Mark Sanchez over a clueless poster who has no knowledge in terms of overall development when developing a developing quarterback.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    DWC if you want the FO's opinion of Sanchez look no further than their failed pursuit of Peyton Manning and acquisition of Tebow.

Forget what they say. Look at their actions.

The FO is not satisfied with Sanchez' development or lack thereof.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I agree. Sanchez has been a franchise Quarterback for us, he's started since day one, and he's still developing his overall talents as an NFL starting quarterback. A franchise quarterback is someone in which you can actually build your franchise/team around. We've done just that since the drafting of Sanchez.

Since the drafting of Sanchez back in 2009, we've since extended Ferguson, Mangold, Revis and Harris long term. We've traded for Cromartie followed by extending Cromartie long term. We've traded for both Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, traded a fourth and sixth round draft for a 7th rounder andTim Tebow and we've also added free agents such as Aaron Maybin, Ricky Sapp, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Brodney Pool, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Martin Tevaseu, Marcus Dixon, Chaz Schilens, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell and we've also drafted players such as Shonn Greene, Matthew Slauson, Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Joe McKNight, John Conner, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis etc, etc.

Not all of these moves have worked out, but you can't deny the fact that we're building our team around Sanchez.
    We're building a stout defense. Which makes sense considering who our head coach is.

I don't see building a team around Sanchez. Not at all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since you enjoy cherry-picking a remark or two in regards to Tanny on Sanchez, lets take a look at some of the things that our offensive coordinator has stated about our developing quarterback. Or, would that go against your agenda?

Sanchez Wowing Sparano and Ryan

"The often-criticized starting quarterback has impressed Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano with how well he has grasped New York’s new offensive system this offseason". “I would say he’s probably worked and put in the most amount of work, which he should,” Sparano said Thursday. “It’s a credit to Mark that he has been able to put that kind of time in. It’s really important to him. He’s done a tremendous job” said coach Sparno.

He also got some praise from cornerback Darrelle Revis. “I feel very comfortable and confident with Mark,” Revis told the New York Daily News. “This is his fourth year. I’ve been with him since he was a rookie. The guy took us to two AFC Championship Games.”

Ryan, Sparano, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson have all made it clear that Sanchez is the starting quarterback, without question. Even if the backup is one of the most popular guys on the planet. “You talk about the leadership and Sanchez, I think the best thing how Sanchez is leading is in the classroom,” Ryan said. “Tony will fire out questions, and Sanchez has all the answers. I think that speaks volumes to his teammates. I see that over and over and over again.”

Sparano said about 50-60 percent of the offensive system has been installed. “I think Mark has done some really nice things right now,” Sparano said. Sanchez has been, as expected, taking all the snaps with the first-team offense, and both Ryan and Sparano have praised the exceptional physical shape the quarterback is in this offseason. Coach Sparano also stated that "Mark Sanchez is one hell of a player. I am so excited to coach him".

So yea, I'll take what a knowledgeable head coach in Rex Ryan, a future Hall of Fame CB in Darrelle Revis along with what a very smart coach in Tony Sparano has to say in regards to Mark Sanchez, especially when in comparison to a completely clueless poster when in regards to overall quarterback development of a developing quarterback.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since you enjoy cherry-picking a remark or two in regards to Tanny on Sanchez, lets take a look at some of the things that our offensive coordinator has stated about our developing quarterback. Or, would that go against your agenda?

Sanchez Wowing Sparano and Ryan

"The often-criticized starting quarterback has impressed Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano with how well he has grasped New York’s new offensive system this offseason". “I would say he’s probably worked and put in the most amount of work, which he should,” Sparano said Thursday. “It’s a credit to Mark that he has been able to put that kind of time in. It’s really important to him. He’s done a tremendous job” said coach Sparno.

He also got some praise from cornerback Darrelle Revis. “I feel very comfortable and confident with Mark,” Revis told the New York Daily News. “This is his fourth year. I’ve been with him since he was a rookie. The guy took us to two AFC Championship Games.”

Ryan, Sparano, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson have all made it clear that Sanchez is the starting quarterback, without question. Even if the backup is one of the most popular guys on the planet. “You talk about the leadership and Sanchez, I think the best thing how Sanchez is leading is in the classroom,” Ryan said. “Tony will fire out questions, and Sanchez has all the answers. I think that speaks volumes to his teammates. I see that over and over and over again.”

Sparano said about 50-60 percent of the offensive system has been installed. “I think Mark has done some really nice things right now,” Sparano said. Sanchez has been, as expected, taking all the snaps with the first-team offense, and both Ryan and Sparano have praised the exceptional physical shape the quarterback is in this offseason. Coach Sparano also stated that "Mark Sanchez is one hell of a player. I am so excited to coach him".

So yea, I'll take what a knowledgeable head coach in Rex Ryan, a future Hall of Fame CB in Darrelle Revis along with what a very smart coach in Tony Sparano has to say in regards to Mark Sanchez, especially when in comparison to a completely clueless poster when in regards to overall quarterback development of a developing quarterback.
    LOL.

Says the guy who likes to cherry-picks stats. LOLOL.

So Sanchez looked good at OTA's? Awesome. That should translate into a breakout season.

Look. I hope Sanchez has a great season and the Jets advance to the Super Bowl.

But do me and everyone else a favor. Don't act like you have all the answers. Don't make outlandish statements that you can't back up and then call people names because they can see through it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pathetic how you've completely ignored the fact(s) that one of Mark's favorite offensive weapons in Braylon Edwards was replaced by an aging, completely useless, worthless, outside number two WR when inside the 20's in Plaxico Burress.
    One of our most consistent WR's (in recent memory) in Jerricho Cotchery was taken away from Mark Sanchez in replace of a completely washed up shell of what he once was in a 37 year old Derrick Mason for 4-5 weeks as our starting slot WR,
    following by the throwing of a raw 5th round rookie in Jeremy Kerley into the fire as Mark's starting slot WR moving forward.
    An offensive line disaster being led by Wayne Hunter

[/QUOTE]

What person made this thread last year

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235880

For those who don't feel like reading a tsunami of words I'll pick out the best parts that completely contradict what he said today.

Plaxico has out performed Edwards.
    Kerley has out perfored Cotchery.
    In regards to Kerley and Cotchery. Tanny got this one correct as well. Not only did Cotchery want out, but he was unable to perform. The only reason why Cotchery has 0 receptions, 0 yards and 0 TD's... Is because he's physically unable to perform. It's that simple. Kerley is an upgrade over Cotchery this year, meaning that Tanny got this one correct.
    As crazy as this sounds, but Hunter has out performed Woody.
    Burress with 3 TD's today!

Exactly WHAT has Braylon Edwards done this season? My thoughts exactly.

Once again, to the Tanny critics... Burress has been more productive than Edwards.
    Burress: 18 receptions, 243 yards, 5 TD's.
    Edwards: 4 receptions, 48 yards and 0 TD's.

Good job Tanny. You gave Sanchez a red zone weapon to develope with.
    Kerley: 9 receptions, 71 yards and 1 TD after 3 starts. Also has 13 punt returns for 136 yards, with a long of 53.

Cotchery: 0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 TD's.

Good job Tanny.
    Jet fans have severely overrated Edwards. Braylon is a WR, who's been known to drop pass after pass. Improved his pass catching last season, but it still doesn't change the fact he dropped one too many balls back in 2009. He only had 11 TD's after two years in NY... Burress could put up 11+ this season alone.

I'm glad we landed Plaxico. A red zone WR is what we've lacked over the past two years. Burress is just that. He won us this game today. I can't remember too many games where Edwards actually won us games. Once again, he never had games of multiple TD's for us.
    I'd love for you to respond to this as I doubt even you could type enough words to explain away the complete 180 degree turn from saying Tannenbaum upgraded the offensive roster everywhere from 2010 to 2011 to claiming that Sanchez had a worse supporting cast around him compared to previous years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen, the guy is excited about the team and he was optimistic about the team during the regular season.

Let's not pile on here.

We're all Jets fans. Lets hope for the best and September we'll see the results.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    I'd love for you to respond to this as I doubt even you could type enough words to explain away the complete 180 degree turn from saying Tannenbaum upgraded the offensive roster everywhere from 2010 to 2011 to claiming that Sanchez had a worse supporting cast around him compared to previous years.
    Do you not have any type of reading comprehension ability?

I never once stated that Sanchez had more offensive weapons last year when compared to previous seasons. I simply pointed out that our GM made the right moves, despite those moves not being ideal. Plaxico was only better by default (last season) due to the fact that Braylon Edwards was injured for just about the entire season. Which means that Tanny made the right call, which still doesn't change the fact that Plaxico was a big time down grade when compared to Braylon Edwards of 2009 and 2010. The only thing I enjoyed about Plaxico was his red zone ability, I was thrilled after one performance where Burress put up either 3/4 TD's, but that doesn't change the fact that he was completely useless between the 20's last season.

I also pointed out that a 5th round rookie in Kerley of 2011 (by default) only out performed Jerricho Cotchery (last year) because of Cotchery (like Edwards) was banged up and never seen the Steelers football field until week 6. He was a shell of what he once was with the Steelers, but that doesn't change the fact that going from a slot WR in Cotchery who combined for 98 receptions for 1,254 receiving yards during 2009 and 2010 to a raw 5th round rookie in Kerley was a steep decline.

Just because I defended Tanny's offseason (because of the seasons both Braylon and Cotchery has last year), doesn't mean that Sanchez was better off last year when compared to previous seasons. Just making it known that Tanny did what he had to do.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum is correct, his growth as a developing quarterback isn't where it needs to be (as of right now), but then again; no quarterback in the history of the NFL has ever been where they've "needed to be" after only 3 seasons of developing.

It took Tom Brady 5 years before he ever posted a Seasonal QB rating of 90+. It took Eli Manning until his 6th year before he ever posted a seasonal QB rating of 90+. Aaron Rodgers never started until his 4th year in the league. It took Jim Kelly until his 5th season before posting a seasonal QB rating of 90+. It even took Joe Montana until his 5th year before posing a seasonal rating of 90+. None of those quarterbacks (great quarterbacks) were where they "needed to be" after only 3 seasons of NFL development. As I've stated once, and will continue to state until you understand the game of football Jordy; You're completely clueless in regards to overall quarterback development when it comes to a developing quarterback.

That still doesn't change the fact that A.) Sanchez has improved each of his first 3 seasons (as a developing quarterback) in regards to completions, passing yardage, completion percentage, TD's, TD to INT ratio, overall QB Rating and B.) Improved as a quarterback last season despite an awful final 3 games to the season.

We all know he had an awful 3 games ending the season, but that still doesn't change the fact that Sanchez went 242/426, 2,859 yards, 58.4%, 6.71 yards per pass attempt, 26 TD's/11 INT's along with an overall QB Rating of 85.2 during our first 13 games last season.

It's pathetic how you've completely ignored the fact(s) that one of Mark's favorite offensive weapons in Braylon Edwards was replaced by an aging, completely useless, worthless, outside number two WR when inside the 20's in Plaxico Burress. One of our most consistent WR's (in recent memory) in Jerricho Cotchery was taken away from Mark Sanchez in replace of a completely washed up shell of what he once was in a 37 year old Derrick Mason for 4-5 weeks as our starting slot WR, following by the throwing of a raw 5th round rookie in Jeremy Kerley into the fire as Mark's starting slot WR moving forward. An offensive line disaster being led by Wayne Hunter, Ferguson having his worst overall season since his rookie year of 2006, Mangold getting hurt, missing games, while taking a couple weeks of getting back to previous form, the playing (starting) of an undrafted rookie Center in Baxter (who became another complete disaster), Brandon Moore was recovering from offseason hip surgery etc, etc along with a run game that was non existent.

None of this could prevent Mark Sanchez from improving as an overall Quarterback, despite the awful situations in which were surrounding him, while still throwing for 242/426, 2,859 yards, 58.4%, 6.71 yards per pass attempt, 26 TD's/11 INT's along with an overall QB Rating of 85.2 during our first 13 games of the season.

Yes, Mark Sanchez had an awful 3 games to end the regular season, tell us something that we don't already know Jorday
    A couple of things.

1.) It took Brady got over 90 QB rating his fourth year as a starter and he started his career in an era where QBs weren't protected and defenders could actually defend. The five yard chuck rule wasn't enforced. Defenders could hit defenseless receivers going over the middle. You could actually hit the QB. Brady would have had much better numbers starting out if he started his career in this era rather than before they neutered defenses.

2.) Stats from last year are irrelevant in judging progressions of any QB. All the QB numbers were inflated last year. Only five times in NFL history has a QB thrown for over 5,000 yards in a season and three of them were last year (the other two were Brees in 2008 and Dan Marino in 1983). Eli Manning was 67 yards away from being the fourth QB last season to throw for 5,000 yards. Last year set a record in offense in both yards and points for the league.

There was no pass defense last year and tons of QBs put up career numbers because of it. Was Sanchez's statistical improve an improvement by him or a regression of the defenses he faced?
    Last edited by Rob0729; 07-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    w0mbat; This was the actual post in reply to Jet fans attacking our GM as if we've had an "awful offseason". I'll even bold the reason why I created that thread. I even went as far as specifically stating "Lets not talk about years past, lets talk about this seasons production..."

Nice job of trying to twist my words and thoughts around, into a pathetic way of fitting your agenda in regards to the team that surrounded Sanchez last yea.

What seems to get lost in the fire, is that our front office has signed Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Holmes, Harris and Cromartie long term dating back to last offseason. But yet, I've seen a recent trend of backlash in regards to our front office, especially Mike Tannenbaum himself, who's recently been thrown under the bus thus far through 6 weeks. My question is this. What have any of these players done this season, for their respected teams, that warrants this type of backlash in regards to our front office by the hands of our very own fan base? Lets take a closer look.

Edwards. 4 receptions, 48 yards, 0 TD's. Has played only two games.

Cotchery. 0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 TD's. Has yet to see the field in Pittsburgh.

Brad Smith. QB rating of 0. 70 rushing yards, 1 TD. 2 receptions, 25 yards, 0 TD's. 103 KR yards. 0 TD's.

Woody, Jenkins, Pryce and Richardson have all retired. No team has yet to want their services. Why not? Are they done or not?

Ellis. 7 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles.

Ihedigbo. 17 tackles, 0 INT's, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles.

Taylor. 4 tackles, 1 sack, 0 forced fumbles.

Gholston. Has yet to find a home.

Clemens. Is an American football quarterback who is currently a free agent of the National Football League

Weatherford. Ranks 27th with only 4 punts inside the 20.

What have any of these guys done for the critics of Tanny, to criticize on a consistant basis in regards to our offseason? I guess one could make a case for both Coleman and Lowery? Who's combined for 36 tackles, 1 sack, 3 forced fumbles and 2 INT's. But then again, it's kind of hard to make that case when the Jets defense ranks number one against the pass. I'm just wondering, where exactly has Tanny and our front office quote on quote, "dropped the ball" during the offseason?

Lets not talk about years past, lets talk about this seasons production...

Plaxico has out performed Edwards.
    Kerley has out perfored Cotchery.
    McKnight has out performed Smith.
    Wilkerson has out performed Ellis.
    Maybin has out performed Gholston.
    Westerman has out performed Taylor.
    Conner has out performed Richardson.
    K.Ellis has out performed Jenkins.
    Dixon has out performed Pryce.
    Wilson has been better for the Jets, than what Coleman has been for Jax.
    As crazy as this sounds, but Hunter has out performed Woody.
    And the only reason(s) why I stated that Conner out performed Richardson, Ellis out performed Jenkins and Hunter out performed Woody, is by default considering the fact that Jenkins, Richardson and Woody were all retired, not playing the game of football. That entire post had nothing to do with 2010's talent vs 2011's talent. Don't take it out on me, all because you lack a reading comprehension needed in order to differentiate the difference of 2011 vs 2011 when in comparison to 2011 vs 2010.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're building a stout defense. Which makes sense considering who our head coach is.

See drafting Stephen Hill (BE version 2.0), extension of Holmes, WR/RBs in the draft etc. Hiring of Sparano for a more play action, deep passing game which Sanchez has been very effective in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, right, as if the building of a stout defense isn't considered to be a part of the team (Defense). As if teams with franchise quarterbacks don't attempt to build the strongest team possible. (both offensive and defensive units)

You build your team around franchise quarterbacks, not just "one side of the ball".

Due to having a franchise quarterback under Center, our front office has been able to completely re-vamp our defensive front with the additions of Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples over the past two years. Two of which (Wilkerson and Coples) are first round draft picks.

Due to have a franchise quarterback under Center, we've since traded for a #1 wide receiver in Santonio Holmes in order to develop with Mark Sanchez moving forward. We just drafted a #2 WR with the overall potential to become an NFL #1 Wide Receiver during the 2nd round of this years draft in Stephen Hill. Since the drafting of Sanchez, we've also drafted our starting running back in Shonn Grene, our backup RB to Greene in Joe McKnight as well as our starting slot WR in Jeremy Kerley. We also landed an offensive coordinator in Tony Sparano as an offensive coordinator in which can potentially work very well with our starting QB in Mark Sanchez.

Yeah, right, we've only worked on building a stout defense since the drafting of Mark Sanchez.

You just admitted it yourself Jorday, you haven't had the ability to SEE our coaching staff build an offense around Mark Sanchez. That's because of your overall agenda against Mark Sanchez himself. That my friend, is clear to see.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    DWC if you want the FO's opinion of Sanchez look no further than their failed pursuit of Peyton Manning and acquisition of Tebow.

Forget what they say. Look at their actions.

The FO is not satisfied with Sanchez' development or lack thereof.
    And this couldn't be further from the truth.

If the team wasn't satisfied with Sanchez, they wouldn't have given him the contract extension, they probably make a bigger push for Manning, or another QB, and they don't bring in a QB who isn't a starting calliber QB in Tebow.

The reason the Jets went after Tebow, is to plug him into a locker room, add the dimension he brings as a leader and the work ethic he brings, and to be a versatile football player, performing in multiple roles.

It's amazing how so many fans and media continue to swing and miss regarding the Sanchez/Tebow dynamic, and Tebow's addition to the team, lead by the complete moron, Skip Bayless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    A couple of things.

1.) It took Brady got over 90 QB rating his fourth year as a starter and he started his career in an era where QBs weren't protected and defenders could actually defend. The five yard chuck rule wasn't enforced. Defenders could hit defenseless receivers going over the middle. You could actually hit the QB. Brady would have had much better numbers starting out if he started his career in this era rather than before they neutered defenses.

2.) Stats from last year are irrelevant in judging progressions of any QB. All the QB numbers were inflated last year. Only five times in NFL history has a QB thrown for over 5,000 yards in a season and three of them were last year (the other two were Brees in 2008 and Dan Marino in 1983). Eli Manning was 67 yards away from being the fourth QB last season to throw for 5,000 yards. Last year set a record in offense in both yards and points for the league.

There was no pass defense last year and tons of QBs put up career numbers because of it. Was Sanchez's statistical improve an improvement by him or a regression of the defenses he faced?

I love how every pro Patriot post has an added little spin about how great a Patriot is...

Your homersession has no bounds!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    There was no pass defense last year and tons of QBs put up career numbers because of it.
    So, in other words, you're pretty much admitting that both Wes Welker and Rob Gronkowski aren't as good as what the media has made them out to be? Nice to know. I mean, after all, let's be realistic here, there wasn't any pass defense last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you NY2FLDWC85. I Think Sanchez improved a lot over his first two seasons as well.

With the decrease in talent at wide receiver, injuries and reshuffling of the offensive line, and the consequent lack of a consistent running game...Sanchez and the Jets were doomed for failure. Imagine if we had the Sanchez from 2009 or 2010 behind center last season. A disaster! We would have been a sub .500 team if Sanchez didn't improve his game.

This is on top of not having a full offseason to develop and grow. How could the front office be upset with Sanchez not being able to take the next step in his development when he didn't have a full off-season to develop? The off-season is the time where players and coaches come together to work on improving deficiencies and weaknesses as well as maintaining and upgrading strengths. But the lockout shortened off-season hindered those objectives. Instead the 2011 Jets focused on improving the 2010 Jets' deficiencies and weaknesses (red zone TD's, stopping Tight End's, etc.) and HOPED that what were already strengths (running game, defense, quarterback improvement) would steadily maintain.

Well, we all saw what happened. We improved in red zone scoring, and were somewhat better at limiting tight ends. But the things the Jets brass counted on at least keeping the same declined in a big way. The defense was mediocre at times, brilliant at other times. The running game was 'meh'. The offensive line allowed more people past them than airport security. You put the Mark Sanchez of 2010 on that 2011 team, we go 5-11.

Sanchez improved in many passing categories despite having LESS OFFENSIVE TALENT THAN IN 2010.

Fact is: as bad a Mark was at certain things (turnovers, decision making accuracy) in 2011....the ONLY reason we ended up with a record AS GOOD AS 8-8 is because of Sanchez. No way the 2010 Sanchez throws 4 TD's in that comeback win vs Buffalo. Nor does the 2010 Sanchez do the 3 TD performance vs the Chargers. Not playing behing that leaky faucet of an offensive line we had last year...I don't care how many pro-bowlers were named to the team. None of them deserved it except an uninjured Mangold.

And I will try to find the link/article...but I read somewhere that Sanchez drew 23 penalties from opponents last season, accounting for 178 yards. Compare that to three combines in his first two seasons. A very valuable and underrated skill for a QB to have.

No, Sanchez is not perfect. Nor is he elite (yet). But he is a good QB and I do believe his will be elite one day.

EDIT: I'm also SICK of people saying that "Sanchez needs a great defense in order to win a championship."!!!!

My response to that is: "Doesn't nearly every quarterback need one of those?!?!?!"

Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Joe Montana, are all great quarterbacks, who have won multiple superbowls. And EACH TIME they took home the trophy, they had top 10 defenses...most of them top 5 defenses. So if those great ones needed a great defense, why wouldn't Sanchez need the same?

How many Superbowls has Brady won without a great defense? ZERO!

Eli Manning has two rings...but it wasn't like he was winning great quarterback duels in those superbowls. He was clutch in both superbowls...no doubt. But the Giants won because those DEFENSES held great Patriot offenses to 14 and 17 points respectively.

So to those who say Sanchez needs a great defense to win...they must not be students of the game because that's stating a basic axiom of the NFL.

I firmly believe that Sanchez will prove his detractors wrong and become a legend in New York.
    Last edited by eifmp; 07-13-2012 at 01:10 AM.