Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson talks about the crash...........

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilkerson talks about the crash...........

Jets: 'Grateful' Muhammad Wilkerson opens up about Parkway auto accident at Linden football camp

Jen Brown/The Star-LedgerMuhammad Wilkerson breaks down a huddle with some of his campers on Tuesday in Linden.
    Muhammad Wilkerson stood amid a huddle of aspiring football players at his alma mater, Linden High School, trying to answer each of the questions they threw at him.

What team do you play for?

Did you ever hurt anybody?

Do you know Tim Tebow?

It was here, at a free football camp he put on Tuesday morning in his hometown, that Wilkerson felt most comfortable. Those questions were the easiest to answer. The speech he gave, which dealt with big dreams, responsibility and dedication, was no problem. Wilkerson spoke in front of more than 40 kids without note cards or a pre-packaged statement.

“He just didn’t want to have his name on the camp,” said Phil Colicchio, the Linden boys basketball coach and a close friend of Wilkerson. “He didn’t even blink, he said whatever you need. He went out and got the shirts, everything.”

But what is still difficult for the 2011 Jets’ first-round draft pick, one who carries high expectations from a head coach who’s lauded him all spring, was an accident that could have derailed everything.

Speaking for the first time publicly about when he struck the back of a 2011 Toyota Siena in the early morning hours of June 23 and flipped his 2011 Dodge Challenger on the Garden State Parkway northbound near Kenilworth, Wilkerson said he still has a tough time discussing what happened despite everyone involved with the accident walking away without serious injury.

Wilkerson has stitches in his right forearm and a long, pink scar down the left side of his neck, though he expects to be ready for the start of training camp later this month in Cortland, N.Y.

“With that situation, obviously I’m grateful that everyone is fine, nobody was hurt seriously,” Wilkerson said. “It was a tragedy that it happened but I’m just happy everybody is okay and I’m blessed to be here.

“Things happen in life and I’m blessed to be here, blessed and happy that everyone else is safe and nobody was truly injured or hurt.”

He called his mom Janice first after he got out of the car. As she watched him judge a distance-throwing competition yesterday for the youngest group of campers, she smiled, thankful nothing serious happened. She is asked about her son every time she leaves her home and hears about every secret workout and appearance he makes at his old high school, understanding how ingrained with the community he’s become.

“You never want to get that call,” Janice Wilkerson said on the field Tuesday, “but we’re grateful that everything is okay.”

Wilkerson took the train to New Jersey from Baltimore — the site of his offseason training facility — early yesterday to make the camp and planned to return last night. Both he and his mother noted how crucial of an offseason Wilkerson felt it was, as he’s been spending a majority of his time working out.

“He continues to work hard, he’s competitive. He was like, ‘Ma, I can’t do two days of camp, I have to do one because I need to get back and do my training,’” Janice said. “That’s a big thing for him, to stay focused and to do what he needs to do.”

In the brief time he had, Wilkerson did his best to take advantage of the easy part, lining kids up and showing them how to hit the blocking sleds, or pulling 17-year-old Varney Kollie aside, teaching him how to combat blocking techniques.

“It means a lot,” Wilkerson said. “Working with kids in my community, these kids have the same dreams as I had growing up. They can follow the same path I’m doing.”

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com; twitter.com/ConorTOrr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking for the first time publicly about when he struck the back of a 2011 Toyota Siena in the early morning hours of June 23 and flipped his 2011 Dodge Challenger on the Garden State Parkway northbound near Kenilworth:

“With that situation, obviously I’m grateful that everyone is fine, nobody was hurt seriously,” Wilkerson said. “It was a tragedy that it happened but I’m just happy everybody is okay and I’m blessed to be here.

Things happen in life and I’m blessed to be here, blessed and happy that everyone else is safe and nobody was truly injured or hurt.”
    That's it?

No Roy Swanson details?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If only MW knew that Special Private Investigator Ron Swanson revealed the hidden details of his accident to all who post here at Jets Insider

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Details!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be Wilkerson DOESN'T talk about the crash . . . . .

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be Wilkerson DOESN'T talk about the crash . . . . .
    Yeah, e-mail Conor Orr.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    LOL that would be accurate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know where he was, and where he was going, and I know he never got there...that's all I'm at liberty to say. Let's leave it at that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If only MW knew that Special Private Investigator Ron Swanson revealed the hidden details of his accident to all who post here at Jets Insider
    That's only his screen name.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I know where he was, and where he was going, and I know he never got there...that's all I'm at liberty to say. Let's leave it at that.
    great post.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What crash did he talk about?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    if anyone wants to see the pictures of him playing beer pong from that night feel free to PM me... I have them.
    It's safe to post them here.

His BAC level was okay at the time of the crash and there were no victims.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was tested by the police and was not DWI or DUI. His blood alcohol level was legal

but wait... forget all that legal stufff

Sherlock Swanson says he was smashed out of his mind

must be true

no?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if anyone wants to see the pictures of him playing beer pong from that night feel free to PM me... I have them,...I'll just leave it at that
    fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    please

yessir

that "evidence" from your chillin' friend clearly outweighs the tests done by the LEOs at the site of the accident

SORRY MO, guilty

take him away

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    please

yessir

that "evidence" from your chillin' friend clearly outweighs the tests done by the LEOs at the site of the accident

SORRY MO, guilty

take him away

what reason would I have to lie?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

the Police say he did NOTHING wrong other than have an accident

so, pal.. who the F cares about your stupid drunken (and by the way, well dressed, I must add) pals blurry pictures?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't even be sure he's holding a cup in that picture.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    what reason would I have to lie?
    1) How do we know that's him?

2) If it is him, how do we know it's from the same night?

3) Regardless of #1 and #2, do you honestly think the cops would let him walk without testing him???? Don't you think that's one of the first things they're thinking about once they determine there are no injuries? If they even smelled a hint of alcohol, they'd be all over that.

By the way, why would Mo Wilkerson be in some dude's house or apartment? That's what it looks like.
    Last edited by Jordy; 07-15-2012 at 02:00 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was in my friends motel room in seaside. They connected via twitter. Sounds sketchy but it's what happened. He must have paid off the cops because what ive been told is he was driving home extremely intoxicated. It's 100% him. You guys are putting him on a pedastal- he's a 22 year old kid who was just looking for some fun on a saturday night.
    Wow. This is getting better and better.