Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convicted 'kicking' cop fights for job (video)

Convicted 'kicking' cop fights for job (video)

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Convicted Lincoln Police Officer Edward Krawetz was a no-show on the first day of an administrative hearing to determine if he can continue to wear a badge.

The 12-year veteran of the force is fighting to keep his job after he was convicted of felony assault in March. The case is best known for video from a security camera at Twin River in Lincoln showing Krawetz kicking a handcuffed woman to the head.

Under the Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights, a three-member panel of police officers will decide his professional fate after what is expected to be three days of hearings.

One panelist was chosen by Krawetz, a second by the Lincoln police chief and the third was agreed to by the two sides. The 'neutral' officer was a North Providence policeman, which is why the hearing was set in that town.

Opening arguments from both sides were heard on Wednesday and will be followed by testimony on Aug. 21 and 22. A decision is expected within 60 days from the start of the proceedings.

Attorney Vincent Ragosta represents the town of Lincoln for the hearing. He declined to go into details about what happened behind closed doors but said Krawetz faces six administrative counts.

“The final charge is conviction of a felony involving conduct which amounts to moral turpitude or which shocks the conscience of a reasonable person,” Ragosta said.

The hearing could be costly to taxpayers. Legal fees – including from Ragosta – are mounting, plus the cost of the proceeding itself, which includes bundles of documents, a stenographer and paying the panelists who are on the clock during the proceedings.

Ragosta said as a 12-year veteran of the Lincoln police department, Krawetz will be eligible to receive a pension when he reaches retirement age.

Krawetz’s attorney – Gary Gentile of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers – declined to comment after leaving the hearing.

Ragosta said it is unclear if Krawetz will appear to testify on his own behalf at future proceedings but he has that right.

“He doesn’t have to be here,” Ragosta said. “He, through his attorney waived his right to be present here today.”

A Twin River surveillance camera recorded Krawetz kicking Donna Levesque, who was sitting on a curb near the officer at the time. Levesque was told to leave the slot parlor for unruly behavior right before the May 31, 2009 kick to the head.

Ragosta said they have requested Levesque to testify at the Bill of Rights hearing but that have not gotten response yet from her.

Levesque’s attorney Thomas Briody declined to comment when reached by phone as to whether she would appear at the proceedings.

During his January bench trial, Krawetz claimed self-defense, telling the court that he reacted to Levesque kicking his shin area. He was convicted of felony battery by Judge Edward Clifton who decided against jail time. Krawetz was ordered to undergo counseling and given a 10 year suspended sentence.

Krawetz' attorney in the criminal case, John Harwood, filed an appeal after the conviction and told Target 12 the appeals process could take years.

Krawetz was also convicted of misdemeanor assault in 2001 after an off duty confrontation with a man who was jogging in Cumberland. He was suspended from the police force for 30 days following that conviction and Eyewitness News learned that town officials recommended to the police chief at the time that Krawetz should be fired.

Krawetz has been suspended without pay but still receives health benefits and “other benefits” according to Ragosta.

Krawetz's Law Enforcement Officers' Bill of Rights tribunal was scheduled to start on Wednesday, June 27 in North Providence. The termination case was to be heard by 3 police officers. One was chosen by Krawetz, a second by the Lincoln police chief and the third was agreed to by the two sides. The 'neutral' officer was a North Providence policeman, which is why the hearing was set in that town.
    Tim White ( twhite@wpri.com ) is the Target 12 investigative reporter for WPRI 12 and Fox Providence. Follow him on Twitter: @white_tim

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_n...fights-for-job

Seems like a bizarre way to determine if he should keep his job. Unions at work?
    He should be fired with no severence. We do not need police officers like this.

Ten year suspended sentence?

He should be fired and his ass should be in jail.

Kicking a handcuffed woman in the head?

F--king coward.....

Veteran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqCNW_hGiOg

Here's the video. Pretty cut and dry.

All Pro
    Well if you strike out at the police they will strike back. It's not like he threw a beat down on her, he reacted when provoked, maybe not an ideal response but certainly not unexpected.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Well if you strike out at the police they will strike back. It's not like he threw a beat down on her, he reacted when provoked, maybe not an ideal response but certainly not unexpected.
    No, he just kicked her in the face. That little kick she gave him looked like it really hurt though. Looked devastating. I hope he didn't bruise his shin. Maybe his mommy will kiss the booboo and make it better.

Maybe instead of using his leg to kick her in the head, he should have used it to take one step backwards so her legs couldn't reach him. The guy's a piece of ****. He should be in handcuffs sitting on the curb right next to that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Well if you strike out at the police they will strike back.
    Sometimes. And when they do so in an unlawful manner, their employment ought to be terminated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. What's sad, is if this wasn't videotaped, it's unlikely any action would be taken at all.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    No, he just kicked her in the face. That little kick she gave him looked like it really hurt though. Looked devastating. I hope he didn't bruise his shin. Maybe his mommy will kiss the booboo and make it better.

Maybe instead of using his leg to kick her in the head, he should have used it to take one step backwards so her legs couldn't reach him. The guy's a piece of ****. He should be in handcuffs sitting on the curb right next to that woman.
    ================================================

I hear you friend, just saying. It is a rare thing for some one to strike out at LEO and not get struck back, it's almost one of those how dare you things.

It's just the way things are.

It's a disgrace to those taxpayers that this guy can still qualify for a pension

Jets Insider VIP

I highly doubt the guy is a "piece of ****".

I'm not condoning what he did......in any way. These guys deal with an endless stream of a**holes all day, everyday. But they're trained to not let their frustrations get the better of them.

I agree with the conviction of assault...he DID assault her. I agree with him being forced from duty w/o a pension. He clearly broke the law.

But I doubt that he's a piece of sh*t.

I can't tell how good looking she might be so I don't know how outraged to be.

And that ***** is what? Innocent?

****in libs lol

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Any man that kicks a handcuffed woman in the face is a piece of sh*t...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If I kicked a cop, I'd expect and deserve much worse.

I hope she got an additional charge for that on top of whatever she was arrested for.

Hey Jetdawgg, ya got any videos of Marine's raping/murdering civilians? Because clearly, according to your math, that would make all Marines guilty of that kind of behavior.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I highly doubt the guy is a "piece of ****".

I'm not condoning what he did......in any way. These guys deal with an endless stream of a**holes all day, everyday. But they're trained to not let their frustrations get the better of them.

I agree with the conviction of assault...he DID assault her. I agree with him being forced from duty w/o a pension. He clearly broke the law.

Imo, any grown man that would kick a woman in the head is a piece of ****. Even if the woman isn't drunk and handcuffed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    And that ***** is what? Innocent?

****in libs lol
    That's a stupid post.

That's a stupid post.
    You acted as if she had done no wrong...

I'd say that is far dumber... To pretend a civilian striking a police officer is the fault of the officer... **** is loltastic.

I'd say that is far dumber... To pretend a civilian striking a police officer is the fault of the officer... **** is loltastic.
    did anyone say that?

Comparing a kick to the leg from a prone position to a standing kick to the head, is akin to comparing a speeding ticket, to a drunken joyride through a preschool.

The fact that some of you seem to believe that just because law enforcement is a dangerous job entitles officers to some sort of superhero status where we overlook blatant (And often violent) violations of the law their supposed to uphold is downright scary.

*edit*

And i happen to agree that the piece of **** label applies to anyone kicking a downed opponent that doesn't happen to be holding a firearm. The fact it was a small woman raises the bar about two levels above the piece of **** test.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Comparing a kick to the leg from a prone position to a standing kick to the head, is akin to comparing a speeding ticket, to a drunken joyride through a preschool.

The fact that some of you seem to believe that just because law enforcement is a dangerous job entitles officers to some sort of superhero status where we overlook blatant (And often violent) violations of the law their supposed to uphold is downright scary.

*edit*

And i happen to agree that the piece of **** label applies to anyone kicking a downed opponent that doesn't happen to be holding a firearm. The fact it was a small woman raises the bar about two levels above the piece of **** test.
    Here's the deal... You're essentially condoning her action... I haven't said a peep about what the officer did... It's obvious what he did was wrong... You and Sharrow seem oblivious that she assaulted a police officer first...