Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney's speech at the NAACP

All League
    I love how this turned into a "Obama wouldn't do anything like that" thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1-jasxb7NY

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    I love how this turned into a "Obama wouldn't do anything like that" thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1-jasxb7NY

Oh yeah, he was really slumming with the commoners. No chance he gets a hostile reception at that event. No creepy organ music either!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Lol, you invoke "Karl Rove" whenever you can to try to conjure up images of dark, smoke filled rooms filled with sinister racists who will stop at nothing to destroy Obama. Is he even working for Romney? I thought he had been criticizing him.

And yes, the media did report unfavorably on this appearance. I'm not talking about CNN and Fox, because I don't waste my time like you do. I'm talking about every major political blog and news site, and the major networks evening coverage of it last night. But believe whatever narrative you want, it just makes you look more and more naive and paranoid.
    It has nothing to do with being paranoid; that is the way politics works; or did you think that Mitt Romney makes those decisions on his own Now, that would be naive. Just about everything that either candidate does is debated and tested and polled.

And I did not say ALL of the media was favorable to Romney for his speech, simply that he got enough positive publicity in a down news cycle for it to be a success.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    And if he did and got booed? NYTimes headline: White Racists Boo President; Plot Lynching!
    "President in the Crosshairs"

boohoo..conservatives never get a fair shake

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    boohoo..conservatives never get a fair shake
    Laugh it up.

If you can cite Obama going to a Race-based (R) Advocacy Group to make a speech, I'd love to see it.

Like I said, I just see it as a lose/lose for Romney, daned either way. He goes, it bombs, he's a racist. He skips the race-group that voted for his opponent at a rate of 98%+, and he's, wait for it, a racist.

Given how integral the Race Card is to the left, I would never expect a lefty to see this as a problem or issue. I would hope objective independants might see it, but most of them are really just dedicated (R) and (D) anyway, so who knows. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Laugh it up.

If you can cite Obama going to a Race-based (R) Advocacy Group to make a speech, I'd love to see it.

Like I said, I just see it as a lose/lose for Romney, daned either way. He goes, it bombs, he's a racist. He skips the race-group that voted for his opponent at a rate of 98%+, and he's, wait for it, a racist.

Given how integral the Race Card is to the left, I would never expect a lefty to see this as a problem or issue. I would hope objective independants might see it, but most of them are really just dedicated (R) and (D) anyway, so who knows. /shrug
    just like I wouldn't expect much different from a closet conservative.

Also, I wasn't responding to your post. But I will now:

I am curious who out there is claiming Romney is a racist, can you provide one shred of proof to your claim that either way Romney was called a racist by a credible news organization? Or is this just bluster and hurf a blurf?

Romney could skip the NAACP just like Obama would skip the NRA.

As the challenger I can see why Romney did it, but most African-Americans vote D anyway, regardless of Obama, I mean Gore and Kerry got 95% and 93%.

I don't know if Obama has ever given a speech in front of a crowd that could have been hostile (I know he got booed at the AMA during a speech when he said he wouldn't fight for TORT reform). I give Romney credit for doing it even if the speech was weak on content.

The idea though that conservatives are the underdog and never get a fair shake is just ludicrous to me. Always has been, always will be.

Obama has put up with some stuff I don't recall too many Presidents having to put up with. It does seem that we have been on a path of having no respect for the office anymore and don't believe in extending courtesy to the man holding office for some time now.

As a younger guy I can't speak for the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, but I will say that I feel that the discourse of John Q Public has really been getting worse since the Clinton/Lewinsky fiasco. not saying it wasn't bad before that, but I feel the decline has been sharp in the last 15 years or so.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

most African-Americans vote D anyway
    Why? And isnt this a generalization?

-

Also, I wasn't responding to your post. But I will now:

I am curious who out there is claiming Romney is a racist, can you provide one shred of proof to your claim that either way Romney was called a racist by a credible news organization? Or is this just bluster and hurf a blurf?
    Sorry my friend, the radio does not provide me with convenient html links for future forum use, and takingv notes at 70 mph in the DC area is generally frowned upon.

But yes, I heard a specific clip where it was said that Romney went there on purpose to get boo'ed, so he could win the racist vote elsewhere.

Romney could skip the NAACP just like Obama would skip the NRA.
    Interesting that you equate those two groups.

As the challenger I can see why Romney did it, but most African-Americans vote D anyway, regardless of Obama, I mean Gore and Kerry got 95% and 93%.
    98%

Probably not changing this cycle.

Lose/lose.

I don't know if Obama has ever given a speech in front of a crowd that could have been hostile
    He hasn't.

Certainly not before an actual equivalent to the 98% voting (D) Loyal Race-based group like the NAACP.

The idea though that conservatives are the underdog and never get a fair shake is just ludicrous to me. Always has been, always will be.
    Agree to disagree. Outside FOX and Right-Radio, it's a fact.

Obama has put up with some stuff I don't recall too many Presidents having to put up with.
    Is this where the liberal forgets every word and deed against G.W. Bush, and claims Obama's (mis)treatement is somehow new and inappropriate, and based on his race?

Cause I've heard that one alot.

As a younger guy I can't speak for the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, but I will say that I feel that the discourse of John Q Public has really been getting worse since the Clinton/Lewinsky fiasco. not saying it wasn't bad before that, but I feel the decline has been sharp in the last 15 years or so.
    TLDR: Nanny nany poo poo, the right started it, nanny nanny poo poo.

lol.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Why? And isnt this a generalization?

-
    a generalization? I don't know, the numbers are always over 90%.

Why? I don't know, I guess most African American voters feel that the Dems support issues they care about.

I think the only demo that supports R even close is White Evangelicals. Nost other demos are 60-40, if memory serves correct,

All Pro
    Pelosi said Romney went to get booed.
    Even though he got an ovation at the end you'll never see in the MSM.
    WF is voting for Virgil Goode to screw Romney.
    And why not, he's running on the Constitution Party line.

There, the thread is all tidied up.

Sorry my friend, the radio does not provide me with convenient html links for future forum use, and takingv notes at 70 mph in the DC area is generally frowned upon.

But yes, I heard a specific clip where it was said that Romney went there on purpose to get boo'ed, so he could win the racist vote elsewhere.

so a guy on the radio = everyone says it...interesting world you live in

Interesting that you equate those two groups.
    only because I would imagine NRA members vote predominately R while the NAACP votes D

98%

Probably not changing this cycle.

Lose/lose.
    a whopping 3% more...my god, the humaity

He hasn't.

Certainly not before an actual equivalent to the 98% voting (D) Loyal Race-based group like the NAACP.
    You are probably right, a calculated political move probably
    Agree to disagree. Outside FOX and Right-Radio, it's a fact.
    so outside of the number one rated news network and the highest rated talk radio programming?

You do know what number one means right?

Is this where the liberal forgets every word and deed against G.W. Bush, and claims Obama's (mis)treatement is somehow new and inappropriate, and based on his race?

Cause I've heard that one alot.
    I don't recall someone shouting at Bush during a State of the Union that he was a liar, or someone in the press corp interrupting him before he finished a speech

was the left disrespectful of Bush, sure, but that wasn't my point, I was thinking of the two instances above.

TLDR: Nanny nany poo poo, the right started it, nanny nanny poo poo.

lol.
    yeah, because that is what I said Quioxte

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Even though he got an ovation at the end you'll never see in the MSM.

funny, I saw the standing O in every newscast I watched

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Oh yeah, he was really slumming with the commoners. No chance he gets a hostile reception at that event. No creepy organ music either!
    It's not exactly the same, but it is longer, more involved and more specific than a stump speech - and while he's not addressing an advocacy group, he's taking questions and comments directly from Republican politicians. Definitely not slumming with the commoners as you say (I know what you mean, Brady, but perhaps a poor choice of phrase to imply Mitt Romney's visit to the NAACP was 'slumming with the commoners' LOL)

The organ music was just weird and unsettling.

But I liked what Romney did, and I respect the man as intelligent, accomplished and genuine in his belief that he would be a good President for ALL Americans. My problem with him is policy, specifically the policies he's "evolved" to, i.e. moved more right than his time as Governor. But I think perhaps his greatest strength is his greatest weakness. What will make him a good leader is his ability to adapt to the situation in front of him. But he will get criticized for not being consistent. Such is the price for reasonable governing.

Still voting Obama, but as I've said many times before, I do not fear Romney. I liked Huntsman and Paul the best out of all the GOP candidates, and likely would have voted for one of them over Obama, but I feared Perry, Bachman and Santorum - thought they would have been a disaster for the country. Romney could be a good President.

/facepalm

It wasn't a "guy on the radio". It was a clip from a media TV program dude. Lawrence O'Donnell as it turns out.

I get it, you think I made it up that people were saying he went only because he wanted to get boo'ed.

Gotcha.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1668473.html

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/12/did_..._to_get_booed/

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/11/al...cp-convention/

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...cpor_something

http://wearerespectablenegroes.blogs...-booed-by.html

If thats not enough reading material, here you go.

http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#h...=1824&bih=1014

Enjoy.

so outside of the number one rated news network and the highest rated talk radio programming?

You do know what number one means right?
    You seem more angry than usual.

Suffice to say, yes, I know what number one means.

Enjoy your rage my friend.

/facepalm

It wasn't a "guy on the radio". It was a clip from a media TV program dude. Lawrence O'Donnell as it turns out.

I get it, you think I made it up that people were saying he went only because he wanted to get boo'ed.

Gotcha.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1668473.html

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/12/did_..._to_get_booed/

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/11/al...cp-convention/

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...cpor_something

http://wearerespectablenegroes.blogs...-booed-by.html

If thats not enough reading material, here you go.

http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#h...=1824&bih=1014

Enjoy.

You seem more angry than usual.

Suffice to say, yes, I know what number one means.

Enjoy your rage my friend.
    Not rage. I'm pretty much treating you the way you treat others, me included. See how that comes across?

As far as your proof, I wouldn't consider all of that credible news people but I get your point. Most of those are talking about the same guy who is the liberal hannity. If I have to give him credibility I'd have to give hannity credibility. And Sharpton. That isn't news people to me. Liberal commentators are being liberal commentators. Pelosi is the real fink.

I may have misunderstood your original post. I didn't see too much "he's a racist" though
    Last edited by piney; 07-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Not rage. I'm pretty much treating you the way you treat others, me included. See how that comes across?
    You do what you gotta do bud. No skin off my nose either way.

Kudos to you for so casually shifting from "Fish is a damn liar making **** up wargarbl no one said that!" to "those half dozen links of quotes and comments aren't from CREDIBLE people.......except Pelosi......and they're not really talking about racism per se....."

If you say so.

You do what you gotta do bud. No skin off my nose either way.

Kudos to you for so casually shifting from "Fish is a damn liar making **** up wargarbl no one said that!" to "those half dozen links of quotes and comments aren't from CREDIBLE people.......except Pelosi......and they're not really talking about racism per se....."

If you say so.

see, this is what I am talking about?

Where did I say Fish is a liar....

I'll try to make it simple, and that isn't a knock on you but my own ability to properly communicate my point in this medium:

I didn't really see people in the news saying Romney was a racist, which is what you inferred he would be no matter the outcome.

You linked a bunch of articles telling me that was proof people were saying it, (like the world renowned wearerespectablenegros.blog) most of them referring to Lawrence O'Donnel's comments. . So, from what I saw, Pelosi, O'Donnel, and Sharpton. Yeah, out of that group the politician is the only one that matters.

Then I said, "I get your point." meaning I guess you were right, people are saying that Romney wanted to get booed. I don't see them calling him a racist, but you have been so enveloped in left wing radio lately maybe you are hearing it more than me.

So to paraphrase one of my favorite internet memes "Why So Combative?"

see, this is what I am talking about?

Where did I say Fish is a liar....
    I'd say with these two comments:

I wasn't responding to your post. But I will now:

Let me be clear, I have no need of your simplicity or your analysis or your cute attempt to be insulting "like me". Your inabillity or refusal to adequately understand the intentions and meaning behind the comments linked is your failing, or your bias, and isn't my problem to fix or educate or work around.

If you want to think "he wanted to get boo'ed by the NAACP to score points with his consituency" is not de facto saying his base is racist, or that his appeal over this issue is racist based, thats fine. Every person is entitled to their opinions, no matter how stupid or willfully ignorant I think they may be.

And really, if your next preferred angle on it is "well, only three people said it", then I really have no patience to reply to that.

Have a nice night, piney. Better luck with your "Warfish-like" insults next time.

I'd say with these two comments:

well, your wrong, unlike you I don't call people liars, at least I try not to.

Let me be clear, I have no need of your simplicity or your analysis or your cute attempt to be insulting "like me". Your inabillity or refusal to adequately understand the intentions and meaning behind the comments linked is your failing, or your bias, and isn't my problem to fix or educate or work around.
    right, because the only way to think is the Warfish way. Think like Warfish or you are a biased idiot. I get it, it has been on display here for years. If people don't think exactly like you they are biased and stupid.
    If you want to think "he wanted to get boo'ed by the NAACP to score points with his consituency" is not de facto saying his base is racist, or that his appeal over this issue is racist based, thats fine. Every person is entitled to their opinions, no matter how stupid or willfully ignorant I think they may be.
    case in point.

This post is proof positive of your inability to have an adult conversation, you do it with everyone on this message board, it is tiresome and old. You are no better than a snotty teenage girl, you get pissy and insult people. You infer what they think, put words in their mouth, and then walk away with your perceived self righteous rage.

you've devolved into one of the worst posters here, which is a shame, because over the years you seemed to me like a guy who would be a blast to have a drink with and shoot the breeze.

good night to you to, 'Fish.