Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney's speech at the NAACP

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Must have touched a nerve.
    Not in the least. I bloviate at greath verbose lenth at the drop of a hat, on almost any subject. Your nay the first to lay the hate at me and my ways, or toss the old "best to worst" line when run afoul of me, and you certainly won't be the last.

Telling you, longwindedly and pompously, to go **** yourself and stop crying, is par for the Fishian course.

But you know that. You're not new here.

Anyway.....as stated, all this personality-based hand-wringing is a derail from the issue.

That issue is that two MSNBC perople, and the former Speaker of the House, as well as a host in the Liberal blogosphere, have all made strong pointed references to Romney only going to the NAACP to earn the votes of "insert semi-veiled language for racist white folks".

Our thoughts on each other is not an issue. This viewpoint expressed by these people, is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    He listens to liberal satellite radio all day. We don't.
    I listen to both sides, just to be accurate.

Right (FOX News Radio, Sirius Patriot), Left (Siruis Left) and Mainstream (generally left, CNN, NPR, MSNBC, BBC, Sirius POTUS) all get some air time on the drive-time in and out each day.

Although, of late, I've been listening to alot of Sirius "Verge", cause the best music comes from Canada these days tbqh. Not metal tho, more folky-art-rock. So probably not your speed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Not in the least. I bloviate at greath verbose lenth at the drop of a hat, on almost any subject. Your nay the first to lay the hate at me and my ways, or toss the old "best to worst" line when run afoul of me, and you certainly won't be the last.

Telling you, longwindedly and pompously, to go **** yourself and stop crying, is par for the Fishian course.

But you know that. You're not new here.

Anyway.....as stated, all this personality-based hand-wringing is a derail from the issue.

That issue is that two MSNBC perople, and the former Speaker of the House, as well as a host in the Liberal blogosphere, have all made strong pointed references to Romney only going to the NAACP to earn the votes of "insert semi-veiled language for racist white folks".

Our thoughts on each other is not an issue. This viewpoint expressed by these people, is.

Just. And in the nicest way I can say it. You used to be able to talk to people with out being so douchy.

I don't equate he wanted to be booed with hes a racist courting racists. You do. Nuff said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    You completely discount that Romney may have felt both an obligation and a priviledge to speak to the NAACP as a Presidential candidate in light of his family history and fathers open support of the NAACP and civil rights? He did grow up in a home where the example set was pretty clear cut.
    I am well aware of the fact that his father was a moderate and appealed to a wide spectrum of voters (JFK once said that Romney was the republican candidate that he worried about the most heading into 64'). You are correct to point out that Mitt did not have to be arm-twisted to give that speech.

But here is the thing; Mitt has proven that he is whatever he has to be, agrees to do whatever he needs to, and changes political stances with the wind to suit his needs. The public record is there and both republicans and democrats have called him out for it. A lot of candidates, including Obama, suffer from this sort of multiple personality but with Romney it is far more transparent. That must be weighed into the thought process as to whether he went there just on principle.

Second, do you disagree that every act-from deciding where the candidate goes to what color tie he wears-is calculated, tested, polled and rehearsed? In fact, I would argue even more so that is the case with Romney who is not really comfortable with this process.

Finally, in a down news cycle (mid-July) the Romney team was able to garner head lines and the narrative. His team managed to garner top billing on Wolf Blitzer's and Erin Burnett's shows just to name a few (it goes without saying that Murdoch's Empire was going to give the story the desired air time and narrative). All of that did not hurt.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 07-13-2012 at 11:31 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't equate he wanted to be booed with hes a racist courting racists. You do. Nuff said.
    No, they (the media, liberal bloggers and Pelosi folks) do mean exactly that.

You simply choose to find a different, politically defendable, meaning/interpritation of their intent from what these folks are saying.

But I'll play, for the lols if nothing else.

Tell me, as YOU see it and understand it, what DO the Pelosi/O'Donnell/Sharpton/Bloggers mean when they say Romney "wanted to be boo'ed by the NAACP in order to appeal to their southern base"?

What specificly about being boo'ed by an African American Advocacy group is a positive in the eyes of Southern (R) Voters, and what is that positive?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, they (the media, liberal bloggers and Pelosi folks) do mean exactly that.

You simply choose to find a different, politically defendable, meaning/interpritation of their intent from what these folks are saying.

But I'll play, for the lols if nothing else.

Tell me, as YOU see it and understand it, what DO the Pelosi/O'Donnell/Sharpton/Bloggers mean when they say Romney "wanted to be boo'ed by the NAACP in order to appeal to their southern base"?

What specificly about being boo'ed by an African American Advocacy group is a positive in the eyes of Southern (R) Voters, and what is that positive?
    so you missed twice me saying "looks like you were right?"

I didn't see the part where Pelosi said he was trying to appeal to his southern base.....I thought she didn't say anything more than "He wanted to get booed." I think even the original interview said she did not elaborate on what she meant. But Pelosi is someone I don't like, and her being manipulative through the press makes sense. SO I'll go along with it.

Side note: Bloggers? Are we really using bloggers as the measure of the media now? Man we live in a ****ty time when any ass-clown with a computer is now considered the media.

Although to boost the claims of the those on the left, Romney's staff helped the "he wanted to be booed" opinion. They seemed to be pretty proud of it, they tweeted all day to get the message out that Romney was not shying away from his conservative values in front of a crowd of people who would not be receptive to his message and that he wasn't afraid to get booed. One guy tweeted as much while the speech was still going on. So, it does appear that being booed was expected and a plan to use that for Romney's benefit was thought out long before he hit the podium.

If this were a chess match and the invite was extended to make Romney look bad, then it backfired. All in all Romney got good press for this. You called it a lose/lose but I see it as a win for Romney.

My opinion: him energizing the base with this is exactly what we see here, I have read at least three posts from conservatives in this thread that praised Romney for not pandering to the crowd. People happy to see him not change his stance on the issues. If this was calculated on his staffs part it was to push that message. That Romney is conservative and won't change his stance to please any specific demo.

TLDR: are liberals calling Romney or republicans racist, yeah I guess if you scour the bottom bin of the internet. Or listen to O'Donnel, or Sharpton. Smart political analysts who don't have an agenda saw this for what it really was, an opportunity for Romney to show he wasn't afraid of sticking to his platform even in a "hostile" environment. Potato/Potahto Tomato/Racist

or we can just have it your way, all liberals are evil manipulative scum who want to divide blacks and whites with cries of racism. Conservatives are heroes, defending freedom and justice and the American way? Is that better? (I'm being facetious with the idea that this is your stance, I would hate to get your Irish up again, or is it your Scottish, I forget)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    so you missed twice me saying "looks like you were right?"
    If you meant that the first two times, we wouldn't still be here.

Although to boost the claims of the those on the left....

TLDR: are liberals calling Romney or republicans racist, yeah I guess if you scour the bottom bin of the internet. Or listen to O'Donnel, or Sharpton.
    "Yeah, I guess".

or we can just have it your way, all liberals are evil manipulative scum who want to divide blacks and whites with cries of racism. Conservatives are heroes, defending freedom and justice and the American way? Is that better? (I'm being facetious with the idea that this is your stance, I would hate to get your Irish up again, or is it your Scottish, I forget)
    It's Scottish. But don't let me get in the way of more weak and pointless insults and hurfablurf.

I know, I know, I know, you're just trying real hard to be just like Fish.

You're not going a very good job, and thats coming from the source. Maybe you should talk to FF, he gets my goat much better than you, and with 1/100th of the effort you're putting in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you meant that the first two times, we wouldn't still be here.

"Yeah, I guess".

It's Scottish. But don't let me get in the way of more weak and pointless insults and hurfablurf.

I know, I know, I know, you're just trying real hard to be just like Fish.

You're not going a very good job, and thats coming from the source. Maybe you should talk to FF, he gets my goat much better than you, and with 1/100th of the effort you're putting in.

See the punchline is I wasn't trying to get your goat or be like you. I was being facetious when I said that but it clearly annoyed you (hence why from now on when I am saying something sarcastic I will note it in the post. It will be the warfish rule). You said I was angry or something like that and as a joke I was saying I was being like you. Then you got butthurt My complaints about your posts of late was true but me trying to be you. No thanks.

If I really wanted to be like you i would tell Doggin or someone that I hope their kids suffer. (see. That was a joke on my part using something that really happened).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is with the individuals, not the system. Irresponsible people who prioritize other things ahead of insurance, then complain when they get sick and can't pay. Thats not systemic, that a bad decision, one they should suffer the consequences of fiscally.
    Really?

The biggest issue with the system lies with accessibility at a reasonable cost. It is fundamentally flawed due to being so heavily tied to employment.

There are millions of middle class Americans already stretched to the brink who simply cannot afford the cost of health care without an employer backed plan. There are many companies out there which do not offer benefits.

"Get a different job" or "find another company" only takes you so far. We live in a reality where millions are being institutionally driven from coverage of basic human services based on the structure of the system.

With that said, ACA is not a good solution to these fundamental issues.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    See the punchline is I wasn't trying to get your goat or be like you.
    If thats a punchline, I'd say you need to work on your lead up and delivery, such as:

I'm pretty much treating you the way you treat others. See how that comes across?
    Exemplified by:

unlike you I don't call people liars

right, because the only way to think is the Warfish way. Think like Warfish or you are a biased idiot. I get it, it has been on display here for years. If people don't think exactly like you they are biased and stupid.

This post is proof positive of your inability to have an adult conversation, you do it with everyone on this message board, it is tiresome and old. You are no better than a snotty teenage girl, you get pissy and insult people. You infer what they think, put words in their mouth, and then walk away with your perceived self righteous rage.

you've devolved into one of the worst posters here
    Joke via rampant personal attack, sounds like a winning e-formula for success to me.

I was being facetious when I said that but it clearly annoyed you
    That sounds like you are infering what I think, and putting words in my mouth.

I thought that was a piney no-no?

You said I was angry or something like that and as a joke I was saying I was being like you
    Ah, all a joke. A joke, clearly, I am too much like a pissy snotty teenage girl to understand the subtle nuances and humour in, I suppose.

Then you got butthurt
    Lol. I'd advise you not to take my enjoyment of exchange with butthurt. The two are not the same.

My complaints about your posts of late was true but me trying to be you. No thanks.
    So it was a joke, that was true, but a joke.

Got it.

If I really wanted to be like you i would tell Doggin or someone that I hope their kids suffer. (see. That was a joke on my part using something that really happened).
    Well, people who promote certain things should suffer the consequences of those things IMO. But that rather poor choice of debate direction was adressed between Doggin and myself via my abject and unlimited apology to him, privately.

But by all means, go on joking via the truth with me about how bad I am. So bad, in fact, you just can't help but hit reply and tell me more about how bad I am.

One is forced to wonder when the Fat Jokes will start next.

What was the thread topic again?

Last edited by Warfish; 07-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    It's not exactly the same, but it is longer, more involved and more specific than a stump speech - and while he's not addressing an advocacy group, he's taking questions and comments directly from Republican politicians. Definitely not slumming with the commoners as you say (I know what you mean, Brady, but perhaps a poor choice of phrase to imply Mitt Romney's visit to the NAACP was 'slumming with the commoners' LOL)

The organ music was just weird and unsettling.

But I liked what Romney did, and I respect the man as intelligent, accomplished and genuine in his belief that he would be a good President for ALL Americans. My problem with him is policy, specifically the policies he's "evolved" to, i.e. moved more right than his time as Governor. But I think perhaps his greatest strength is his greatest weakness. What will make him a good leader is his ability to adapt to the situation in front of him. But he will get criticized for not being consistent. Such is the price for reasonable governing.

Still voting Obama, but as I've said many times before, I do not fear Romney. I liked Huntsman and Paul the best out of all the GOP candidates, and likely would have voted for one of them over Obama, but I feared Perry, Bachman and Santorum - thought they would have been a disaster for the country. Romney could be a good President.

But I was not trying to tie that phrase to Romney's NAACP appearance at all. Classic racist lib assumption and categorization.

I liked Paul a lot, but some of his ideas are wacky/scary/tin foil hat. Would have voted for him though. Huntsman was good also, you're right. Would have helped with China perhaps. I think Romney has improved as the campaign has gone along, which gives me hope. I think he'll be less divisive than Obama, easily. Maybe the DOJ won't just be about settling old scores anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I'd advise you not to take my enjoyment of exchange with butthurt. The two are not the same.

This was you enjoying yourself?

Also joke/true

Joke that I was being like you/true you have been pretty hostile to people

Shouldn't be that complicated. I think we're done here though If you agree.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was you enjoying yourself?
    Oh aye. It's very enlightening to me, these occasional exchanges.

Reminds me, in fact, of years ago here, where the Right said almost verbatim the exact same things when I used to hammer harder on them.

It's funny how fleeting e-love can be. When you side with someone, they love you, when you're critical, suddenly it's "you've become worst poster ever, andyou're fat, and a girl, and you're IRISH TOO!!!!".

It's quite the lol, frankly.

If you'd like to see me angry or at my worst, lock me in a thread with FF and CR. I'll be in e-tears in seconds, I've yet to learn to hande those two trolls.

Shouldn't be that complicated
    Aye, you're just too durn smart for me piney ol' chap. I bow to your superor sense of comedic stylings.

I think we're done here though If you agree.
    I was unaware we'd ever started....on the actual topic.

P.S. You don't require my permission to be done btw, you can just not hit reply. Works wonders, if being done is your aim.

That there, just don't click it. Poof! We're done.

Like magic.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh aye. It's very enlightening to me, these occasional exchanges.

Reminds me, in fact, of years ago here, where the Right said almost verbatim the exact same things when I used to hammer harder on them.

It's funny how fleeting e-love can be. When you side with someone, they love you, when you're critical, suddenly it's "you've become worst poster ever, andyou're fat, and a girl, and you're IRISH TOO!!!!".

It's quite the lol, frankly.

If you'd like to see me angry or at my worst, lock me in a thread with FF and CR. I'll be in e-tears in seconds, I've yet to learn to hande those two trolls.

Aye, you're just too durn smart for me piney ol' chap. I bow to your superor sense of comedic stylings.

I was unaware we'd ever started....on the actual topic.

P.S. You don't require my permission to be done btw, you can just not hit reply. Works wonders, if being done is your aim.

That there, just don't click it. Poof! We're done.

Like magic.
    So I guess Quixote was pretty accurate. You think the criticism of your posts is about you opinions and political slant on issues and not because you call posters liars, stupid, ignorant, put words in their mouth, make assumptions about what they really think and wish ill upon their children.

Nope none of that. It that we can't stand your brand of political integrity.

Thats priceless.
    Last edited by piney; 07-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I guess Quixote was pretty accurate. You think the criticism of your posts is about you opinions and political slant on issues and not because you call posters liars, stupid, ignorant, put words in their mouth, make assumptions about what they really think and wish ill upon their children.

Nope none of that. It that we can't stand your brand of political integrity.

Thats laughable.
    Couldn't help yourself, eh?

That just loomed too tempting for you.

I eagarly await whatever brilliant new insight on me you choose for your next reply.

Also, lol:

You think.....
    ......put words in their mouth, make assumptions about what they really think
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by piney
    You think.....

taadaa

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    taadaa

I think we're done here.
    I guess we're not after all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

all right, that made me laugh..

but still....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    all right, that made me laugh..

but still....
    If nothing else, my e-skills at finding funny and interesting images is still decent.

Not Fishhooked quality, of course, but decent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just like I wouldn't expect much different from a closet conservative.

Also, I wasn't responding to your post. But I will now:

I am curious who out there is claiming Romney is a racist, can you provide one shred of proof to your claim that either way Romney was called a racist by a credible news organization? Or is this just bluster and hurf a blurf?

Romney could skip the NAACP just like Obama would skip the NRA.

As the challenger I can see why Romney did it, but most African-Americans vote D anyway, regardless of Obama, I mean Gore and Kerry got 95% and 93%.

I don't know if Obama has ever given a speech in front of a crowd that could have been hostile (I know he got booed at the AMA during a speech when he said he wouldn't fight for TORT reform). I give Romney credit for doing it even if the speech was weak on content.

The idea though that conservatives are the underdog and never get a fair shake is just ludicrous to me. Always has been, always will be.

Obama has put up with some stuff I don't recall too many Presidents having to put up with. It does seem that we have been on a path of having no respect for the office anymore and don't believe in extending courtesy to the man holding office for some time now.

As a younger guy I can't speak for the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, but I will say that I feel that the discourse of John Q Public has really been getting worse since the Clinton/Lewinsky fiasco. not saying it wasn't bad before that, but I feel the decline has been sharp in the last 15 years or so.
    I first noticed it with Ford, then it went extreme with Reagan. Did you know that Reagan was the devil because each of his 3 names had 6 letters? True story, bro.