Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96

Thread: Mitt Romney's speech at the NAACP

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Well, you presume something HAD to BE done.

    Between Medicare, Medicaid, S-Chip and other State and Federal Health Programs, aprox. (as reported on the radio) 90-100+ million Americans are currently getting covered by the Government at little or no cost.

    Or from 1/4->1/3 of all of us. Before the A.C.A. was passed.

    The question then is this. Was a massive reorganization like the A.C.A. needed, to ensure that the 80,000,001st American was covered?

    I think assuming that this was an epidemic that could not be solved by other means is a false assumption, made via a false argument that millions of Americans were somehow being denied because they were poor, disabled or otherwise infirm.

    We're not talking about starting a brand new program for the poor. We're talking about why or why not someone who is say, the 100,000,001st Amercian needs the A.C.A. to get coverage, and if we (as a group) really needed to give that person coverage at such a cost.

    I heard a very enlightening call on the radio (lefty) this morning, someone calling in to complain how they could not afford a medical devise, because they had a mortgage, car payment and a host of other payments he had to make first. For me, this is proof of argument. That far too many americans put a bigger house, better car, cable TV, cellphone plan, gym membership and many other things as MORE IMPORTANT fiscal priorities over buying their own health insurance.

    The problem is one of priority IMO. Health Insurance should be priority #3, right behind food and clothing/shelter. But far too many, and most of those (IMO) that demand free stuff, treat it as something they are owed by teh rest of us, or that is not a fiscal priority of their own.
    I absolutely do believe something HAD to be done. I base this on the fact that 44 million Americans do not have health care.

    http://www.pbs.org/healthcarecrisis/uninsured.html

    I also base my beliefs on the fact that health insurance costs are out of control;

    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ce-costs_N.htm

    I also believe change was needed because despite the absurd costs our health care system was ranked 37th in the world in the last survey by the WHO, somewhere near Morocco, Cyprus, and Costa Rica. We can argue about how the countries were ranked but one thing is certain; our system is simply not good enough. Also, in the current system people who refuse to get health care are already a drain on tax payers.

    Add all of the above up and any logical conclusion must include the idea that change was necessary.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 07-13-2012 at 01:32 AM.

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,919
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    ...you have been so enveloped in left wing radio lately...

    So to paraphrase one of my favorite internet memes "Why So Combative?"
    I'm thinking too much of the wrong radio. It divides and drives people to extremes.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I'm thinking too much of the wrong radio. It divides and drives people to extremes.
    I think it's too much haggis.

  4. #44
    Somehow I just don't see Harlem Born/Bronx Native/CUNY Graduate/General/Joint-Chiefs-of-Staff/National-Security-Advisor/Secretary-of-State Colin Powell (R) endorsing Barack Obama for President again like he did in 2008.

    It's not likely to happen this time!


  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I'm thinking too much of the wrong radio. It divides and drives people to extremes.
    If I remember correctly, Warfish mentioned several times he has a ridiculous commute to and from work each day.

    If he's listening to political talk radio every day to and from work, for an extended period of time each way, it's no wonder his rhetoric has gone over the top.

    That sh*t is toxic.

    Lot of people b*tch about NPR being liberal-leaning, and I can see that, but they're by far the best radio station for politics. The general douchebaggery of talk radio sensationalism and political shock-jocks is simply not evident on national public radio. NPR isn't about personality nor daily "finding a new way to paint the other side as evil" talking points.

    My advice to Warfish is to listen to NPR or music, stay away from right/left wing radio. Talk radio is the jerry springer of politics

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You mean...like a pandering lib?


    Heard alot of criticism from the lib media about how he didnt "change it up" for this particular audience, which I found highly ironic and typical.

    He spoke to them...as equals, not some sub-human special-cases that needed tailored dialect and content to hold their attention.

    Once again, hand wringing libs showing their own latent racist bias.

    Hysterical!

    -
    This 32guy gets it.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    This 32guy gets it.
    I didn't realize that only Liberals pander, and that conservatives never do.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,751
    All we have been hearing the past couple days out of the libs about Bain Capital and Romney's speech is just pure distraction tactics to keep us from talking about the real issues.

    By spreading this garbage, the libs bought themselves two days where they didn't have to talk about the issues or Obama's record. Plain and simple.

    Most people don't see through the crap but some of us do.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I didn't realize that only Liberals pander, and that conservatives never do.
    +10000000000000000000000000000000

    I enjoy our political forum because it stimulates conversation but also for the comic relief;


  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All we have been hearing the past couple days out of the libs about Bain Capital and Romney's speech is just pure distraction tactics to keep us from talking about the real issues.

    By spreading this garbage, the libs bought themselves two days where they didn't have to talk about the issues or Obama's record. Plain and simple.

    Most people don't see through the crap but some of us do.
    You don't think that the Romney speech at the NAACP was not calculated by his handlers?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It has nothing to do with being paranoid; that is the way politics works; or did you think that Mitt Romney makes those decisions on his own Now, that would be naive. Just about everything that either candidate does is debated and tested and polled.

    And I did not say ALL of the media was favorable to Romney for his speech, simply that he got enough positive publicity in a down news cycle for it to be a success.
    You completely discount that Romney may have felt both an obligation and a priviledge to speak to the NAACP as a Presidential candidate in light of his family history and fathers open support of the NAACP and civil rights? He did grow up in a home where the example set was pretty clear cut.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All we have been hearing the past couple days out of the libs about Bain Capital and Romney's speech is just pure distraction tactics to keep us from talking about the real issues.

    By spreading this garbage, the libs bought themselves two days where they didn't have to talk about the issues or Obama's record. Plain and simple.

    Most people don't see through the crap but some of us do.
    thank god you are here to help....my hero

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I didn't realize that only Liberals pander, and that conservatives never do.
    Liberals:




    Republicans:





    Learn the difference

  14. #54
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,941
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    I absolutely do believe something HAD to be done. I base this on the fact that 44 million Americans do not have health care.

    http://www.pbs.org/healthcarecrisis/uninsured.html
    My answer......so?

    Of that 44 million, how many are truly cases where they have a legitimate case that we, the public, should be supporting them.

    Fromt he things I've heard, not many at all.

    And as a reminder, that 44 million starts after the existing 80-100 million ALREADY covered in some form by the State.

    Add all of the above up and any logical conclusion must include the idea that change was necessary.
    Agree to disagree. The problem is with the individuals, not the system. Irresponsible people who prioritize other things ahead of insurance, then complain when they get sick and can't pay. Thats not systemic, that a bad decision, one they should suffer the consequences of fiscally.

    The answer, as I see it, is not fullscale Nationalization (as many prefer) or this worst-of-all-world mandate-private-profitmaker system of Obamacare.

    The answer is to hold people accountable. If you could afford insurance, and the vast majority can in fact if it was a priority and they sacrificed other comforts, but choose not to get it, thats on them. I (the taxpayer) owe them nothing but disdain.

    As I see it, this current step is simply the next step on the way to Ken's favored system, full National Single-Payor State Healthcare. There will always be some sob story, some bleeding heart cause for why the NEXT few millions NEED us to help them, right up until 99% is covered, then and only then will some say "screw whats left".

    I just wish there was more honesty about that desire. I can understand supporters of a 100% State System, even if I disagree. What I will never agree with is using bleeding heart sob stories about X, Y or Z, using VERY partial info about that person/family, misrepresenting whats happened and why, to make out that someone who made a household income of $60,000 with two fulltime workers, somehow couldn;t afford health insurance whilst driving a new SUV and living ina five-bedroom house in the burbs.

    The truly poor. The disabled. Soldiers. Them I will support supporting, healthcase wise, forever. Obviosuly I am not a hardcore, not against a real system of support for the needy. The not-so-needy looking to milk the system with aligator tear tales of "need" which is really their own bad decision making......not so much.

    And your 44 million is more than than truly needy people in need.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-13-2012 at 10:25 AM.

  15. #55
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,941
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    well, your wrong, unlike you I don't call people liars, at least I try not to.
    Backpeddle all you like. Won't change what was said.

    right, because the only way to think is the Warfish way. Think like Warfish or you are a biased idiot. I get it, it has been on display here for years. If people don't think exactly like you they are biased and stupid.
    I think you mistake me for someone who cares, in any form, what you think of me, or is dumb enough to fall for your psudo-intellectual chin-rubbing "well, I didn't say THAT exactly, you're misunderstanding my intents and nuance....."

    You claimed I couldn't back my claim and was making it up, and living in some fantasy world. I backed it, backed what I heard, with the sources.

    Simple as that.

    The rest of your personal-grudge-based gurning is just that. Irrelevant to me.

    This post is proof positive of your inability to have an adult conversation
    Then don't try. Because I do not care what you think, or think of me, now or ever. It's a derail and distraction to even discuss it.

    Ignore button is right up over there, under user CP. Just spare me your girlish whining.

    You're welcome.

  16. #56
    There are some that healthcare is used for everything frpm the common cold,
    or they just feel well. For me the less time I spend in a doctors office the happier I am. The over use of doctors visits makes it cost more for everyone.
    Maybe higher deductibles for office visits is the answer at least one of them.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,751
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You don't think that the Romney speech at the NAACP was not calculated by his handlers?
    Of course not. But not nearly to the toxic levels some libs are suggesting.

    Everything every politician does is calculated. But Romney went to the NAACP (he was invited) and said to them pretty much the exact same thing he has said throughout his campaign. NAACP is about equality and Romney treated them the same way he treats any of his audiences. To falsely cater to them, like Biden bordered on doing, is demeaning. But he gets away with it b.c he plays for the same team as them.

    Anyone who says he wanted to get booed to win over racists is just a fool. I know we now live in an era where people don't care whether or not they get bad press b.c they just want the exposure but that is not true with politicians. No politician wants to get booed. There is a such thing as bad publicity in politics.

    Basically everything that has gone on in the media (and it is the media that created this) has basically undermined everything we have been trying to achieve over the past 60 years with regards to racial equality. Do they really want Romney to lie to the NAACP just so he can get an applause? If I was a member I would take it as an insult to my intelligence that someone would speak before me and lie to my face just to get my support.

    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    thank god you are here to help....my hero
    No, I know better than that. I would never attempt to be a hero for an omniscient. You guys got it all figured out.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Backpeddle all you like. Won't change what was said.



    I think you mistake me for someone who cares, in any form, what you think of me, or is dumb enough to fall for your psudo-intellectual chin-rubbing "well, I didn't say THAT exactly, you're misunderstanding my intents and nuance....."

    You claimed I couldn't back my claim and was making it up, and living in some fantasy world. I backed it, backed what I heard, with the sources.

    Simple as that.

    The rest of your personal-grudge-based gurning is just that. Irrelevant to me.



    Then don't try. Because I do not care what you think, or think of me, now or ever. It's a derail and distraction to even discuss it.

    Ignore button is right up over there, under user CP. Just spare me your girlish whining.

    You're welcome.

    Must have touched a nerve.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Of course not. But not nearly to the toxic levels some libs are suggesting.

    Everything every politician does is calculated. But Romney went to the NAACP (he was invited) and said to them pretty much the exact same thing he has said throughout his campaign. NAACP is about equality and Romney treated them the same way he treats any of his audiences. To falsely cater to them, like Biden bordered on doing, is demeaning. But he gets away with it b.c he plays for the same team as them.

    Anyone who says he wanted to get booed to win over racists is just a fool. I know we now live in an era where people don't care whether or not they get bad press b.c they just want the exposure but that is not true with politicians. No politician wants to get booed. There is a such thing as bad publicity in politics.

    Basically everything that has gone on in the media (and it is the media that created this) has basically undermined everything we have been trying to achieve over the past 60 years with regards to racial equality. Do they really want Romney to lie to the NAACP just so he can get an applause? If I was a member I would take it as an insult to my intelligence that someone would speak before me and lie to my face just to get my support.



    No, I know better than that. I would never attempt to be a hero for an omniscient. You guys got it all figured out.

    Just that not every lefty is the same. Or every righty for that matter.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,744
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Must have touched a nerve.
    He listens to liberal satellite radio all day. We don't.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us