Thread: Q & A with Martin Tevaseu and Jets sign a tackle

Jets Insider VIP

Q & A with Martin Tevaseu and Jets sign a tackle

Jets summer Q&A with defensive tackle Martin Tevaseu
    Published: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 10:00 AM Updated: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 5:58 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger
    William Perlman/The Star-Ledger- Martin Tevaseu is entering his third training camp with the Jets.
    Today's summer Q&A is with defensive tackle Martin Tevaseu, who was active for five games last season. Entering his third training camp with the Jets, Tevaseu is among the bevy of young linemen vying for playing time.

What is something that surprised you during offseason workouts?

Probably Nick Bellore, the guy is dead-lifting somewhere in the 500s as a linebacker. It might be more, but it was just ridiculous. A guy that size with all that strength, that was cool. Were all just in there grinding together. You know, for me, my back is a little tight right now (laughs) but of course (I can lift more than Bellore). But yeah, its a cool thing. There's great energy every day in the weight room.

What's the biggest goal for the upcoming season?

I can improve on all phases, getting bigger, faster and stronger. My thing is, I never want to be satisfied where Im at, I always want to find a way to get better. So if I had to choose one, I want to be faster. I lost weight, so I know Im down on body fat. Im leaner right now, definitely leaner. So, I feel stronger and a lot more athletic. I feel fast, but theres always room for improvement.

Who are some of the guys you think will have a breakout year?

Some of the young players we have, especially on the D-line, like Quinton (Coples). Hes a great player, and I think hes going to be making plays for us. The way hes practiced, you can see it in him. And also, our leaders like Sione (Pouha), hes been established. And me, Im still kind of a young guy, but I can always go to Sione and Mike DeVito and always ask them for tips on how to get better. They're really cool about it.

Do you have any fun plans for the summer?

Just go home (to California) and grind, man. And Im getting married (in June), so after that, its back to the drawing board. I'm excited.

The Jets have added undrafted free agent T Paul Cornick to the roster, the team announced Thursday.

Cornick, a 6-6, 309-pound prospect out of North Dakota State was a tryout player during the team's rookie camp back in May and joins what is now a crowded group of aspiring young players behind incumbent starters Wayne Hunter and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Last year, Cornick was an All-American on North Dakota's first-ever FCS National Championship team.

God Bless America and Go Jets!

Nick Bellore is another one to keep an eye on.

Banned
    I'm expecting a breakout year for Martin Tevaseu.

All Pro
    Someone has to pick up the slack.

Bellore is highly motivated to cement his position on the squad. Beastly strong, excellent power to weight ratio.

Our DL should be devilish this season

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Your shameless attempt at humor on this board is worse than listening to somebody scratch a chalkboard with their fingernails.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Your shameless attempt at humor on this board is worse than listening to somebody scratch a chalkboard with their fingernails.
    Agreed. That was pretty lame. All the little chicks miss their mother hen tx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Make football post Ray. I dare you.

All Pro
    No statz? I don't understand

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

I really liked Paul Cornick in the draft, so thank you Terry Bradway for the pick. (-; I think I read somewhere that this guy can play Center too. If that's the case then the Jets may have a viable back up for HammerFace.

Link on Cornick:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ick?id=2533445

Good luck and I hope he makes the final roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    hopefully if he is a diamond in the rough and can back up at center, we can avoid last year's Robby Felix catastrophe should Nick get nicked

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    I really liked Paul Cornick in the draft, so thank you Terry Bradway for the pick. (-; I think I read somewhere that this guy can play Center too. If that's the case then the Jets may have a viable back up for HammerFace.

Link on Cornick:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ick?id=2533445

Good luck and I hope he makes the final roster.

I've never heard this nickname before?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I've never heard this nickname before?
    #74 had a beard naming contest on Twitter and Moljinor (sp?) Nordic mythology weapon won. Ergo, HammerFace. FWIW he is the best Center in the league, that's why I want to make sure he has a viable backup. Dare I say garbage time & playoffs? (-;

#74 had a beard naming contest on Twitter and Moljinor (sp?) Nordic mythology weapon won. Ergo, HammerFace. FWIW he is the best Center in the league, that's why I want to make sure he has a viable backup. Dare I say garbage time & playoffs? (-;
    Nice. If I met a guy that should be called HammerFace it's Mangold. But with your obsession with beef on the line, maybe Prime Beef? =)

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Nice. If I met a guy that should be called HammerFace it's Mangold. But with your obsession with beef on the line, maybe Prime Beef? =)
    It's called protecting the QB. I want a D line on offense, front four that give Sanchez all day to throw. Watch other teams play & maybe realize it's not an obsession, it's a fact of football.

It's called protecting the QB. I want a D line on offense, front four that give Sanchez all day to throw. Watch other teams play & maybe realize it's not an obsession, it's a fact of football.
    Preaching to the choir!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    hopefully if he is a diamond in the rough and can back up at center, we can avoid last year's Robby Felix catastrophe should Nick get nicked
    Robby Felix was cut in preseason and did not play in any regular NFL games last season for the Jets. I think you are thinking of: Colin Baxter now with San Diego.

Make football post Ray. I dare you.
    I do all the time, chump.

You, the 44,000 posts you have on the site, a Pats fan, trolling a Jets board 24x7, are all failed and lame attempts at humor.

Get a life.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Robby Felix was cut in preseason and did not play in any regular NFL games last season for the Jets. I think you are thinking of: Colin Baxter now with San Diego.
    My bad

Yes....Baxter was the incompetent JAG that had to be pulled after a few series and replaced by Slauss

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2