Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brees signs 5 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Don't sleep on the Falcons or an up and coming Panthers team either. Cam Newton seems to be the truth. The only reason why I have the Saints winning the NFC South is because of Drew Brees, but expecting a decline in overall offensive production without their head coach in S.P who also calls the offensive game (play-calling) as their offensive coordinator. Due to their loss of Vilma, a great MLB (leader of their defense) along with other suspensions, the Saints actually have the potential to field a very poor defense this up coming season. Can't sleep on the Bucs either, they had a great offseason with enough talent to bounce back from last season's disaster.
    That will still be enough for the Saints to win the NFC South handily. Drew Brees isn't getting paid $40 million next year to lose the division. An elite QB is the quest for every NFL franchise. He wins games, does commercials, puts butts in the seats and promises almost assuredly a winning season every year. Vilma is not a huge deal, they have several good linebackers who can step in, and the defense was never that great to begin with anyway.

You're right, no one can sleep on any team preseason. It's the NFL. But the Saints are still overwhelming favorites.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.

All League
    $100M/5 yrs --- $37M to sign; $3M to play 2012.

Not bad for an 8-8 QB that lost his job to Doug Flutie his third year, didn't make the playoffs until his 4th year, didn't win a playoff game until his 6th year, and didn't win a second playoff game until his 9th year!

Imagine if he pulled that sh!t in NY?

Jets Insider VIP
    He, Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning are the three best QBs in the NFL
    Only a clueless jet fan would mention the top 3 qbs and not include Tom Brady.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not bad for an 8-8 QB that lost his job to Doug Flutie his third year, didn't make the playoffs until his 4th year, didn't win a playoff game until his 6th year, and didn't win a second playoff game until his 9th year!

Oh thats right. Sanchez is becoming Drew Brees real soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    $100M/5 yrs --- $37M to sign; $3M to play 2012.

Luckily for him, Charger and Saints fans aren't a bunch of whiny, impatient woe-is-me sad sacks who are quick to dump their QB after one dissapointing year (where he still had career highs in TDs, comp. %, yards and QB rating). We can only wish Sanchez has a career like Brees or Eli Manning, and that the franchise ignores the idiot fans and let's him develop

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Only a clueless jet fan would mention the top 3 qbs and not include Tom Brady.
    Rodgers and Brees are better than Brady, and you can make the argument for Eli as well. Leave the Brady ass kissing for the Patsy trolls.

Jets Insider VIP
    Put Brees outside in a cold weather game and he cant win. He is better then Brady? Brady vs brees in feb in the super bowl in the meadowlands. Who you got?

End discussion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Brees>>>Brady

All other JI posters>>>>>>>>JoeWNamath

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Put Brees outside in a cold weather game and he cant win. He is better then Brady? Brady vs brees in feb in the super bowl in the meadowlands. Who you got?

End discussion.
    I agree, but then again, Brady has only gone 3-3 over his last 6 postseason games. Loses vs the Ravens and Jets (both at home inside of Foxboro) and loses against the Giants during the super bowl. Brady winning postseason football games aren't a given either.

I agree, but then again, Brady has only gone 3-3 over his last 6 postseason games. Loses vs the Ravens and Jets (both at home inside of Foxboro) and loses against the Giants during the super bowl. Brady winning postseason football games aren't a given either.
    (stolen from another board)

"Let's talk about Brees' effectiveness in the dome vs. the road last season in his record-breaking yardage year (:

NO @ SF (+3.5)

NO ave point differential on road (5-3): - 3

NO ave point differential on road vs playoff team (GB, Atl): +2.5

SF ave point differential @ home (7-1): -16.8

SF ave point differential @ home vs playoff team (NYG, Pit): -12

Here’s a simpler breakdown.

NO ave points scored on road: 27.25

NO ave points allowed on road: 24.5

SF ave points scored @ home: 27.6

SF ave points allowed @ home: 10.8

Also (these #s don’t include last week):

NO ave points scored @ home: 41.1

NO ave points allowed @ home: 17.8

So the Saints ave 14 points less on the road than at home and they allow 7 more points on road than at home.

And they lost to some questionable teams on the road (Stl, TB) and came close two other times (Ten, Car)."

Brees needs his home dome field more than any other elite QB in the NFL in order to be successful. Brady plays in 1 or 2 domes a year at most, if he's lucky. Find me a QB who doesn't prefer playing in a light-air-weather-controlled environment on a well-defined, fast turf. I imagine Peyton feels the same way.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-13-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    (stolen from another board)

"Let's talk about Brees' effectiveness in the dome vs. the road last season in his record-breaking yardage year (:

NO @ SF (+3.5)

NO ave point differential on road (5-3): - 3

NO ave point differential on road vs playoff team (GB, Atl): +2.5

SF ave point differential @ home (7-1): -16.8

SF ave point differential @ home vs playoff team (NYG, Pit): -12

Here’s a simpler breakdown.

NO ave points scored on road: 27.25

NO ave points allowed on road: 24.5

SF ave points scored @ home: 27.6

SF ave points allowed @ home: 10.8

Also (these #s don’t include last week):

NO ave points scored @ home: 41.1

NO ave points allowed @ home: 17.8

So the Saints ave 14 points less on the road than at home and they allow 7 more points on road than at home.

And they lost to some questionable teams on the road (Stl, TB) and came close two other times (Ten, Car)."

Brees needs his home dome field more than any other elite QB in the NFL in order to be successful. Brady plays in 1 or 2 domes a year at most, if he's lucky. Find me a QB who doesn't prefer playing in a light-air-weather-controlled environment on a well-defined, fast turf. I imagine Peyton feels the same way.
    And some of you claim that I post "worthless" statistics? Those are about as worthless as they come man. First, how about comparing (in regards to the opponents) each and every road defense that Brees faces vs each and every home defense that Brees faced? Were there injuries to opposing defenses when Brees played on the road? What about injuries to opposing defenses when Brees played at home? Were the teams he faced in domes stronger against the run, or stronger against the pass etc, etc.

Let's not make Drew Brees out to be some type of dome quarterback. The man is a great quarterback regardless. He made a name for himself coming out of Purdue, who wasn't a dome school, and was selected during the 2nd round (32nd overall). He emerged onto the scene in 2004, putting up an amazing season with the Chargers. Who aren't a dome team. Putting up 27 TD's/7 INT's, completion percentage of 65.5, 104.8 QB rating and followed that up with a very strong performance the following season with SD.

He's an elite quarterback. He doesn't need a dome to dominate opposing defenses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    +1000. He deserves every penny he will get. Brees will probably go down as the greatest free agent signing ever.
    +1

Few people deserve a big pay day as much as Brees. Great player, exceptional person, the savior of New Orleans. Can't even put a price tag on what he's meant to that city.

And some of you claim that I post "worthless" statistics? Those are about as worthless as they come man. First, how about comparing (in regards to the opponents) each and every road defense that Brees faces vs each and every home defense that Brees faced? Were there injuries to opposing defenses when Brees played on the road? What about injuries to opposing defenses when Brees played at home? Were the teams he faced in domes stronger against the run, or stronger against the pass etc, etc.

Let's not make Drew Brees out to be some type of dome quarterback. The man is a great quarterback regardless. He made a name for himself coming out of Purdue, who wasn't a dome school, and was selected during the 2nd round (32nd overall). He emerged onto the scene in 2004, putting up an amazing season with the Chargers. Who aren't a dome team. Putting up 27 TD's/7 INT's, completion percentage of 65.5, 104.8 QB rating and followed that up with a very strong performance the following season with SD.

He's an elite quarterback. He doesn't need a dome to dominate opposing defenses.
    Do you believe that dome and weather statistics influence a QB's stats?

P.S. I'm just going to assume that a 14-pt scoring differential in the dome vs. on the road is somewhat relevant and can't totally be explained away by the quality of the defenses faced. You are more than welcome to do a stats analysis to prove me wrong. Common sense might prevail.

And you are right... he doesn't need a dome to dominate opposing defenses... he just dominates them a hell of a lot more in the confines of his dome.

I am not ****ting on Brees, I love Brees, he's one of my favorite QBs in the league. Top 2, maybe 3, I routinely put him ahead of Brady so I am not a homer about this. But his numbers are a bit dome-inflated.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-13-2012 at 07:46 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Luckily for him, Charger and Saints fans aren't a bunch of whiny, impatient woe-is-me sad sacks who are quick to dump their QB after one dissapointing year (where he still had career highs in TDs, comp. %, yards and QB rating). We can only wish Sanchez has a career like Brees or Eli Manning, and that the franchise ignores the idiot fans and let's him develop
    Really, jackballs like Boynton Beach don't deserve a winner.

That's why it's going on 44 years.

I still have the Saints landing an NFC playoff spot, but wouldn't be shocked if a team such as the Falcons or even Panthers take the division.
    always sitting up on the fence huh Skitles?

In all seriousness, are there any cap hawks who can estimate how this deal affects QB franchise tag prices going forward? This is a monumental deal, it by definition affects any team thinking of tagging its QB in the future. Similiar with Gronk and his TE deal.

Good for Drew.

Can't wait to see the monster re-up that comes the way of Cam Newton in two years, or Aaron Rodgers in three.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    In all seriousness, are there any cap hawks who can estimate how this deal affects QB franchise tag prices going forward? This is a monumental deal, it by definition affects any team thinking of tagging its QB in the future. Similiar with Gronk and his TE deal.
    Gronk's deal has very little if any effect on the Tag amount for TE, his salary over the next 4 years averages less than 2.5 mill a year wit a 2mill SB amoritization per year. Gronk's deal say that if the pats exercise a team option for 4 more years he cap hit will average about 9 mill per over those last 4 years of the 8 year deal.

Those last 4 years do not count in any matter as the pats are not spreading out the first 8 mill SB over the 6 year extension but just over the two remaining years of his first contract and the two years that they extended the contract.

For the next four years his cap value is less than Gates, Winslow, Gonzales, Finley, Witten, and Vernon Davis. The tag value is the average of the to 5 players. At this time Gronk ranks 7th at most.

Brady is on the decline but I will NEVER consider Eli one of the top QB's in the league. If he had Wayne Hunter protecting him or a below-average defense, he'd be a nobody. Not to mention in the 2010 season, he had 25 INT's. Hardly elite if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Brady is on the decline but I will NEVER consider Eli one of the top QB's in the league.
    Brady threw for 5235 yards last year, his best ever.

how is this a decline?