Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brees signs 5 year deal

All League

Brees signs 5 year deal

As expected really. Nice bank the first 3 years.
    @mortreport
    Saints reach agreement on 5 yr, $100-mill deal, including $40 mill in year 1; $60 mill guaranteed in 1st 3 yr.

@JasonLaCanfora
    The numbers on Brees, aside from perhaps $40m in year one, are as expected. Been writing for some time about $20/yr avg and $60M guaranteed

Jets Insider VIP
    Now that he is baller status, hopefully he will cancel those stupid credit card commercials with him and his sopne.

Hall Of Fame
    He should get a piece of the franchise for all he has done for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

What has he done that is so different from any other HoF QB for his team? Are we talking franchise or city?

All Pro
    +1

It was ridiculous they lowballed him for a second. There are few players in NFL history who have done more for/meant more for their franchises than Drew Brees.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    What has he done that is so different from any other HoF QB for his team? Are we talking franchise or city?
    Both, but I think given the Katrina situation they're almost interchangable.

Without Brees they'd probably be a cellar dweller in another city.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    +1

It was ridiculous they lowballed him for a second. There are few players in NFL history who have done more for/meant more for their franchises than Drew Brees.
    He just got a piece of the franchise... $60M+ to be exact.

Both, but I think given the Katrina situation they're almost interchangable.

Without Brees they'd probably be a cellar dweller in another city.
    I'm not getting into all of that but let's just say I consider the richest QB contract in history to be reasonable compensation for what Brees has done for them. It wasn't pretty to get to that point, but in the end they treated him right.

P.S. Rodgers' contract is up in 2014 and he has the same agent. His contract is going to be even crazier. Ten years, 80+M guaranteed sounds about right.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    deserves the money

He, Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning are the three best QBs in the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Without Brees, New Orleans does not have football.

Yes, Katrina made everyone rally around the team and the team gave them a reason for hope but that does not last if the team sucks. And Brees is the reason why the team does not suck.

Hall Of Fame
    Rodgers' contract is going to be a record breaker.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's a lot of guaca-"mole"-e.

Can we trade sanchez, Tebo, and a first for Rodgers?

Cool

Yes, Katrina made everyone rally around the team and the team gave them a reason for hope but that does not last if the team sucks. And Brees is the reason why the team does not suck.
    Not only that, he has thrown himself into the community and done a lot of good work there. Plus he's been a classy guy, no negative PR. I dare say the value of the franchise has more than doubled since Brees arrived, and had a lot to do with that. Had to believe they originally signed him for 6 years $60 million..even harder to believe the Fins had first shot at him and PASSED. TWICE! Talk about a whifff.

Cool

+1

+1000. He deserves every penny he will get. Brees will probably go down as the greatest free agent signing ever.

I know, it's all good... just meant I think he's doing just fine right now

I'll stand by my 10yr, 80+M guaranteed prediction.

Banned
    Great quarterback. I still see the Saints making the playoffs, but I can picture Brees and that Saints offensive struggling from time to time, due to losing their head coach who just so happens to be their offensive coordinator in Sean Payton. The loss of Vilma will without question, hurt their 4-3 defense. I still have the Saints landing an NFC playoff spot, but wouldn't be shocked if a team such as the Falcons or even Panthers take the division. Losing your head coach who happens to be a genius offensive coordinator, while losing your best MLB in Volma when running a 4-3 scheme isn't exactly the blueprint for success.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Great quarterback. I still see the Saints making the playoffs, but I can picture Brees and that Saints offensive struggling from time to time, due to losing their head coach who just so happens to be their offensive coordinator in Sean Payton. The loss of Vilma will without question, hurt their 4-3 defense. I still have the Saints landing an NFC playoff spot, but wouldn't be shocked if a team such as the Falcons or even Panthers take the division. Losing your head coach who happens to be a genius offensive coordinator, while losing your best MLB in Volma when running a 4-3 scheme isn't exactly the blueprint for success.

I think the Saints will be just fine. Brees basically runs that offense, I trust Payton's underlings to carry forward their incredible game-planning. They still have everyone but Meachem from last year on that side of the ball. They are going to score lots of points in the dome and win lots of games, as usual. They are virtually unbeatable at home.

If he hadn't signed, the Saints might be finishing in last place. I still don't think they'll win the NFC South this year- their D was unimpressive last year and could be even weaker this year because of the suspensions and the Falcons are an on/off year kind of team and last year was off for them and the Panthers are on the rise fast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    If he hadn't signed, the Saints might be finishing in last place. I still don't think they'll win the NFC South this year- their D was unimpressive last year and could be even weaker this year because of the suspensions and the Falcons are an on/off year kind of team and last year was off for them and the Panthers are on the rise fast.
    My thoughts exactly. Don't sleep on the Falcons or an up and coming Panthers team either. Cam Newton seems to be the truth. The only reason why I have the Saints winning the NFC South is because of Drew Brees, but expecting a decline in overall offensive production without their head coach in S.P who also calls the offensive game (play-calling) as their offensive coordinator. Due to their loss of Vilma, a great MLB (leader of their defense) along with other suspensions, the Saints actually have the potential to field a very poor defense this up coming season. Can't sleep on the Bucs either, they had a great offseason with enough talent to bounce back from last season's disaster.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.