Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sanchez lasting the whole year

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its not like he was a free agent and chose the Jets over 5 other teams. He didnt have a say in where he was going. There were not a bunch of teams interested in him, it came down to the Jets and Jags, the Jags backed out when they learned they had to pay the back salary, leaving the Jets as the only team left wanting him. I would hope that Tim still believes he can be a starter in the NFL, I just think he would have preferred to go somewhere else besides the Jets.
    The consensus around here is hoping that he doesn't think that at all. If he does, that's a problem for the Jets.

"Play fullback and shut your mouth about ever being a QB again. You're not our # 2."
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    The consensus around here is hoping that he doesn't think that at all. If he does, that's a problem for the Jets.
    The problem is that he isnt good enough to be a starter in the NFL right now. Its not an issue for the Jets because he isnt being counted on to anything more than a situation QB with some wildcat responsibilities. He was brought here by the owner to garner some back page headlines after the Giants won yet another Super Bowl. Again, this is a one and done year for Tebow in NY. Hopefully he can go somewhere he wants to next year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The problem is that he isnt good enough to be a starter in the NFL right now. Its not an issue for the Jets because he isnt being counted on to anything more than a situation QB with some wildcat responsibilities. He was brought here by the owner to garner some back page headlines after the Giants won yet another Super Bowl. Again, this is a one and done year for Tebow in NY. Hopefully he can go somewhere he wants to next year.

Can you back this up with anything other than what you are praying to god never happens?

Tebow was never welcome in New York. The idea of trading for him was laughed off the board. But he's here, and the back-tracking and defending has begun.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Can you back this up with anything other than what you are praying to god never happens?

Tebow was never welcome in New York. The idea of trading for him was laughed off the board. But he's here, and the back-tracking and defending has begun.
    Please, this has been debated ad nauseam. Where is the back tracking? I have said from day one that this was a publicity stunt by the owner and he will be here for only this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Yeah, and if Sanchez "gets benched" due to poor production, and Tebow comes in, and performs like he did against the Patriots during the playoffs ala 9/26, 136 yards, 34.6%, 0 TD's/0 INT's with a QB rating of only 52.7 during a 45-10 loss? He'll be benched in replace of Sanchez much faster than Sanchez getting benched for Tebow. If some fans are giving Sanchez a 4-5 week window before "getting replaced by Tebow"; Tebow would have a 1-2 week window at the very most.

Tebow will never become a full-time starter over Sanchez. Never. Not unless Sanchez goes down for the season. Our front office didn't bring in Tebow and his career completion percentage of 47.3% to replace the franchise quarterback who we just signed to a 3 year contract extension. There's a reason why Sanchez is (and will be) getting all the offseason/training camp reps with the 1st team. Tebow will be used all over the football field, as the football play that he's meant to be. He'll be the center piece of a Sparano led Wildcat Option (Think Brad Smith, but much more affective), he'll be used in Goal-line situations rushing behind Mangold at 6'3/240+ pounds, he'll be used as a HB in order to throw opposing defenses off, he'll be lined up at the FB position in order to keep the defenses off balance etc, etc.

We never traded for Tebow to become a potential replacement to Mark Sanchez. We'll draft during the first round for that. We landed Tebow to help expand our offense while complementing Mark Sanchez as an overall football player.
    Tebow will be a gadget player and wildcat option only in a best case scenario. We're talking about the most polarizing figure in all of sports right now who we just traded two draft picks to obtain.

If Sanchez has a breakout season and plays well on a consistent basis, then yes, Tebow will be restricted to wildcat and special teams duty and will probably be playing elsewhere in a year or two.

But if Sanchez starts the season off poorly and we stumble out of the gate and find ourselves in a 1-4 or 2-5 hole, then you can bet your ass that Tebow's role will expand significantly. As in, he'll be our new starting QB until we can find a suitable replacement.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Tebow will be a gadget player and wildcat option only in a best case scenario. We're talking about the most polarizing figure in all of sports right now who we just traded two draft picks to obtain.

If Sanchez has a breakout season and plays well on a consistent basis, then yes, Tebow will be restricted to wildcat and special teams duty and will probably be playing elsewhere in a year or two.

But if Sanchez starts the season off poorly and we stumble out of the gate and find ourselves in a 1-4 or 2-5 hole, then you can bet your ass that Tebow's role will expand significantly. As in, he'll be our new starting QB until we can find a suitable replacement.
    I don't see how this is even debatable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a tough as nails type of kid. The only way Sanchez isn't playing is if the coaching staff forces him to sit (week 17 against the Bills) or if he's carted off the field on a stretcher. Kid takes a beating, gets right back up, only to take another beating. Just a tough quarterback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLpimht0tUM

Kid has taken these types of beating time and time again, he gets up each and every time. Kid has guts. To answer your question, the only way Sanchez isn't playing is if he's physically unable to perform.
    Nice block by Hunter! WTF haven't they brought in a RT?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It's pretty simple, really.

Scenario 1) Sanchez plays reasonably well and the Jets win games = Sanchez remains starting QB

Scenario 2) Sanchez gets injured = Tebow is starting QB

Scenario 3) Sanchez plays poorly and/or Jets get off to poor start = Tebow is starting QB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    McElroy would come in for any injury to Mark.

Our fullback/punt protector would continue to Wildcat since he is a horrible NFL quarterback

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    and they wouldn't miss a beat with mcelroy at the helm.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It's pretty simple, really.

Scenario 1) Sanchez plays reasonably well and the Jets win games = Sanchez remains starting QB

Scenario 2) Sanchez gets injured = Tebow is starting QB

Scenario 3) Sanchez plays poorly and/or Jets get off to poor start = Tebow is starting QB
    Well, you didn't actually debate his post or my agreement now, did you? You just added the obvious in the case of injury.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely disagree. If Sanchez happens to struggle to the point of being benched in replace of Tebow? The same goes for Tim Tebow. If he struggles (as a starting quarterback), then he'll be replaced by Sanchez faster than you can say 'New York Minute'. The leash is much longer in regards to Sanchez when compared to Tebow as a potential future starter. 1 or 2 awful games from Tebow, and it's back to Sanchez under Center (This is if Sanchez is even benched to begin with, which I highly doubt).

Some Jet fans like to act as if Sanchez has awful accuracy, well, then... They haven't seen anything yet. Tim Tebow has a completion percentage of 46.5% last season, during a year where everyone knew the run was coming. That's pathetic. Sanchez at least had a 56.7 completion percentage last season. Tim Tebow wasn't traded to become Sanchez's future replacement, he was traded here to become an impact offensive player. Think Brad Smith, but 10x more useful.

Some seem to believe that if Sanchez struggles for 4-8 weeks, that Sanchez will be replaced as in "Job given to Tebow". That's completely false. The second Tim Tebow goes 9/26 for only 136 yards with an awful completion percentage of 34.6% while throwing for 0 TD's/0 INT's during an awful 45-10 loss with a QB Rating of only 52.7? (see the Patriots game) he'll be benched in replace of Sanchez at the first sign of a struggling quarterback. Sanchez is our quarterback moving forward, Tebow's not. Will Tebow help our offense? Without question, he's too talented of a football player not to, but he won't start many games (if any at all) over Mark Sanchez. Sanchez just got a 3 year contract extension. Sanchez has gotten over 80% of the starting reps during OTA's. That won't change during Training Camp and/or preseason either. Wake me up when Tebow starts getting anything over 30% of first string reps heading into the season. Then, we'll be able to talk "future replacement".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the crappy line we have, Sanchez's shoulder will be done by week 4. This franchise does not have a clue. They killed Penninton and they are in the process of killing Sanchez. Why not make sure the o line is solid with you so called franchise QB. Oh yeah they did the same with Farve too. 6-10 here we come.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely disagree. If Sanchez happens to struggle to the point of being benched in replace of Tebow? The same goes for Tim Tebow. If he struggles (as a starting quarterback), then he'll be replaced by Sanchez faster than you can say 'New York Minute'. The leash is much longer in regards to Sanchez when compared to Tebow as a potential future starter. 1 or 2 awful games from Tebow, and it's back to Sanchez under Center (This is if Sanchez is even benched to begin with, which I highly doubt).

Some Jet fans like to act as if Sanchez has awful accuracy, well, then... They haven't seen anything yet. Tim Tebow has a completion percentage of 46.5% last season, during a year where everyone knew the run was coming. That's pathetic. Sanchez at least had a 56.7 completion percentage last season. Tim Tebow wasn't traded to become Sanchez's future replacement, he was traded here to become an impact offensive player. Think Brad Smith, but 10x more useful.

Some seem to believe that if Sanchez struggles for 4-8 weeks, that Sanchez will be replaced as in "Job given to Tebow". That's completely false. The second Tim Tebow goes 9/26 for only 136 yards with an awful completion percentage of 34.6% while throwing for 0 TD's/0 INT's during an awful 45-10 loss with a QB Rating of only 52.7? (see the Patriots game) he'll be benched in replace of Sanchez at the first sign of a struggling quarterback. Sanchez is our quarterback moving forward, Tebow's not. Will Tebow help our offense? Without question, he's too talented of a football player not to, but he won't start many games (if any at all) over Mark Sanchez. Sanchez just got a 3 year contract extension. Sanchez has gotten over 80% of the starting reps during OTA's. That won't change during Training Camp and/or preseason either. Wake me up when Tebow starts getting anything over 30% of first string reps heading into the season. Then, we'll be able to talk "future replacement".
    Wait a minute...

You're saying that Sanchez won't be benched if he struggles over a 4-8 week period?

What world are you living in?

Like I said, if you think that Tebow was brought in strictly to run the wildcat and play the role of personal protector on special teams, then you're more delusional than I thought. You don't bring in a larger than life sports figure with an almost cult-like following to fill such a menial role.

Tebow was brought in first and foremost to push Sanchez and bridge the gap to another QB in case Sanchez falls flat on his face.

If all we wanted was a marginal backup to Sanchez and a wildcat option, then we would've stuck with Drew Stanton and signed someone like Ronnie Brown.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Because your better off seeing what a noodle arm bigmouth like McElroy has over letting tebow be the starting qb.

I will say this, if tebow starts a single game this year, it means the end of Rex, Mr.T and essentially the entire front officewill be wiped clean.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute...

You're saying that Sanchez won't be benched if he struggles over a 4-8 week period?

What world are you living in?

Like I said, if you think that Tebow was brought in strictly to run the wildcat and play the role of personal protector on special teams, then you're more delusional than I thought. You don't bring in a larger than life sports figure with an almost cult-like following to fill such a menial role.

Tebow was brought in first and foremost to push Sanchez and bridge the gap to another QB in case Sanchez falls flat on his face.

If all we wanted was a marginal backup to Sanchez and a wildcat option, then we would've stuck with Drew Stanton and signed someone like Ronnie Brown.
    Stanton is a better qb than tebow. He doesn't bring as much attention though which is the only reason he was brought here. It's a way to push Sanchez, but not really challenge him because his back up this year is worse than last year.

Mark still knows he's the top qb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I will say this, if tebow starts a single game this year, it means the end of Rex, Mr.T and essentially the entire front officewill be wiped clean.
    Probably true (with the caveat being a Sanchez benching, not injury)

If the Jets have a losing record this year, Tannenbaum should get the boot. Rex would deserve another year IMO, but you'd set up a shaky management system if you bring in a new GM who might not like Rex and/or might not see eye to eye with him. It will be a sad day for me if this chain of events were to happen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Stanton is a better qb than tebow. He doesn't bring as much attention though which is the only reason he was brought here. It's a way to push Sanchez, but not really challenge him because his back up this year is worse than last year.

Mark still knows he's the top qb.
    I'm not confident in Tebow as a QB, but how can you say that Stanton is a better QB? What are you basing this on?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    I believe he has only missed 1 game in his career, he is a tough qb and has proven he can take a beating.

But it's very possible that he was forced into playing hurt (by himself and the coaches) because the alternative has always been Brunell. Unfortunately Sanchez at 50% was better than Brunell.

Now that presents an interesting scenario, if he starts taking a pounding does Tebow come in or do they go with a battered Sanchez. Not saying he is injury prone but he has been beaten up over the last few years and has always gotten up and stuck it out.
    I would always want the Jets to stick with Sanchez over Tebow. Unless, Sanchez couldn't walk I would want him over Tebow.

Tebow is a gimmick QB and nothing more. He has not learned how to be a real QB and therefore I would NEVER want him QBing the Jets.

QBing the wildcat? I can easily go for that. Playing on ST? I can easily go for that. Playing TE or FB or even WR on the Jets offense? I could easily go for that.

It's undeniable that Tebow has that "big play" capability. However, he's just NOT a traditional pocket passing QB. That is something that I believe in very strongly. As far as I'm concerned, until Tebow can learn how to be a regular QB, he should relegated to ST's and the Wildcat and spot appearances outside of the QB spot on offense.