Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: Looking Into Buying a Bike

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,874
    I am debating a kayak as well....seriously.

    On the weekend, getting into NYC via public transportation is such a biotch.

    Considering that im like a mile to the river I was thinking about it.

  2. #42
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Love the look of off-road mountain bikes, but I realize they may not be practical for the urban jungle. Definitely don't want a road or cruiser. Any insight is appreciated.

    If this doesn't go as planned, a kayak may be the next choice. No, I'm not kidding.
    Just in case you still haven't made up your mind, I slapped this together this weekend. Shoot me an offer.


  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,773
    You have to play the percentages



    Kayak
    Pros:Risk of getting hit by a car = 0%
    Cons: Risk of drowning = 100%


    Bike
    Cons: Repeated riding will reduce your sperm count to zero
    Pros: Repeated riding will reduce your sperm count to zero

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

    Seeing as you are involved in this interaction, that makes you a bit European as well, my friend. Perhaps you'd like to get in early on the tandem kayak?
    Not even during my wildest college days, and now I'm old. So, no.



    Thanks for asking?

  5. #45
    Black Denim 2012 Street Bob is the way to go. Just got one. SWEEEET ride.

    http://www.smh-d.com/uploaded_images...lack_Denim.jpg

  6. #46
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You have to play the percentages



    Kayak
    Pros:Risk of getting hit by a car = 0%
    Cons: Risk of drowning = 100%

    You should add;

    Cons: Risk of forgetting to use the tie downs whilst the kids are distracting you and having the kayak fly off the top of your truck like a torpedo into an intersection.



    -

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I am debating a kayak as well....seriously.

    On the weekend, getting into NYC via public transportation is such a biotch.

    Considering that im like a mile to the river I was thinking about it.
    Do it. Shakin has a sweet commuter-series kayak available.

    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Just in case you still haven't made up your mind, I slapped this together this weekend. Shoot me an offer.

    Ruby may be contacting you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You have to play the percentages



    Kayak
    Pros:Risk of getting hit by a car = 0%
    Cons: Risk of drowning = 100%


    Bike
    Cons: Repeated riding will reduce your sperm count to zero
    Pros: Repeated riding will reduce your sperm count to zero
    Solid logic, as usual. Didn't help me in making a decision, but still.

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Not even during my wildest college days, and now I'm old. So, no.



    Thanks for asking?
    Sidecar on the Jetworks-Shakin tandem bike then?

    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Black Denim 2012 Street Bob is the way to go. Just got one. SWEEEET ride.

    http://www.smh-d.com/uploaded_images...lack_Denim.jpg
    Bicycles. The shortened name is bike. That is a MOTORcycle. From hereon in, referred to as a mike.



    Or alternately, a mid-life crisis.

    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You should add;

    Cons: Risk of forgetting to use the tie downs whilst the kids are distracting you and having the kayak fly off the top of your truck like a torpedo into an intersection.



    -
    5:01 mark.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbw748_qjE

    I think I've settled in on something from Felt, either the Q520 or Q620, although I do like the Verza City as well. They seem to have the best bang for your buck at the entry level. Tried a few out today. Amazed I still knew how to ride.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 07-16-2012 at 05:58 PM.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post


    Sorry, I meant bicycle. Pritty, pritty st00pid on my part.






    That's exactly what I am looking to spend. What brands make respectable hybrids and/or mountain bikes in that range? How are the Novaras and Marins sold at REI? Are the 29ers complete overkill for street/light trail use?
    The people I know that are serious bikers (bicyclists) love Specialized bikes.

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The people I know that are serious bikers (bicyclists) love Specialized bikes.
    Ive had a Specialized mountain bike for over 15 years, same bike. I dont use it off road much, but its been a solid performer as a pedestrian beat around bike, for what its worth.

    -

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    That's exactly what I am looking to spend. What brands make respectable hybrids and/or mountain bikes in that range? How are the Novaras and Marins sold at REI? Are the 29ers complete overkill for street/light trail use?
    I was in the market for a mountain bike last year. I was initially looking at

    hardtail 29ers because I wanted to use the bike both on and off-road. I

    wanted to pay anywhere from $600 to $900. After going to many local bike

    shops and test riding products from Specialized, Canondale, Giant, Trek and

    a few others, I ultimately purchased a full suspension Rocky Mountain

    because I was able to get a great deal on it. My advice is to test ride quite

    a few bikes and make sure you're fitted properly. Also, it's sometimes

    difficult to compare apples to apples when bike shopping. For example, there

    may be one bike you're considering that has a better quality fork than

    another, but the other one may have better shifters or brakes. Do your

    homework, and soon you'll know all about bicycle component brands like

    Shimano, Rockshox, Suntour.

    Good luck!

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,927
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    I was in the market for a mountain bike last year. I was initially looking at

    hardtail 29ers because I wanted to use the bike both on and off-road. I

    wanted to pay anywhere from $600 to $900. After going to many local bike

    shops and test riding products from Specialized, Canondale, Giant, Trek and

    a few others, I ultimately purchased a full suspension Rocky Mountain

    because I was able to get a great deal on it. My advice is to test ride quite

    a few bikes and make sure you're fitted properly. Also, it's sometimes

    difficult to compare apples to apples when bike shopping. For example, there

    may be one bike you're considering that has a better quality fork than

    another, but the other one may have better shifters or brakes. Do your

    homework, and soon you'll know all about bicycle component brands like

    Shimano, Rockshox, Suntour.

    Good luck!
    Great advice, thanks. And you're right, I'm learning a lot with my research. I'm starting to lean towards the Cannondale SL 29er 5. There's just so many options out there.

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lawn Guyland
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Great advice, thanks. And you're right, I'm learning a lot with my research. I'm starting to lean towards the Cannondale SL 29er 5. There's just so many options out there.
    I favor Specialized bikes, owning both road and mountain but I wasn't impressed with their hybrids. I recently picked up a Diamondback Insight 1 hybrid which has an aluminum frame and decent components. I was very pleasantly surprised. And it cost me $370 at Sports Authority on sale. Great bike for the price.

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Just in case you still haven't made up your mind, I slapped this together this weekend. Shoot me an offer.



    LOL. One time on a trip to Tortola there was a school of 60 to 80 pound tarpon working back and forth in Cane Garden Bay about a hundred yards off the beach. After trying in vain to reach them from shore with my fly rod I ran to this little pool toy type rental place up the beach. Their kayaks were all out and all they had was one of these contraptions. So I took it and 15 minutes of huffing and puffing later I'm out there among the tarpon.

    There must have been a hundred in the school and they were all four to five foot. I was fishing in the middle of a bunch of sailboats anchored up and the people on the boats were sitting on their decks, drinks in hand, watching these fish beat the crap out of me. When I hooked one it'd basically tow me around for half an hour until it tired. Some of the people would cheer and applaud when I hooked or finally landed a fish. One fish towed me so close to a boat that a guy on it actually reached out and handed me a pina colada in a plastic cup. Man I had a blast. Later some people on the beach told me it was one of the funniest things they'd ever seen.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 07-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I'd someone say kayak?
    Dude you have teh banz. What's up with that?

  15. #55
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I am debating a kayak as well....seriously.

    On the weekend, getting into NYC via public transportation is such a biotch.

    Considering that im like a mile to the river I was thinking about it.
    Lol

    Saturday night, time to go clubbin'. Just put on your wetsuit and saddle up, it's a short row to Hell's Kitchen. Watch out for the cargo tankers!

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,927
    Well, I finally made up my mind and went with a Cannondale Bad Boy 9. I think it's perfect as a recreational/commuter bike. The guy gave me a solid deal on a 2013 model. Tried to get a 2012 on leftover, but no dice. I pick it up next week!


  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Well, I finally made up my mind and went with a Cannondale Bad Boy 9. I think it's perfect as a recreational/commuter bike. The guy gave me a solid deal on a 2013 model. Tried to get a 2012 on leftover, but no dice. I pick it up next week!

    Nice! Any carbon on it?

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,356
    Get a gel seat...

    your sphincter will thank you.

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,104
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    After going to many local bike

    shops and test riding products from Specialized, Canondale, Giant, Trek and

    a few others, I ultimately purchased a full suspension Rocky Mountain

    because I was able to get a great deal on it. My advice is to test ride quite

    a few bikes and make sure you're fitted properly.

    This!

    It is all about fit. A few inches here and there makes all the difference. F* the color or what the bike looks like. You'll find the right bike when it feels like a natural extension of your body. You'll know the right bike as soon as you sit on it.

    I once had my heart set on getting a Rocky Mountain Blizzard, but the top tube was too short and I felt cramped. My body needed a long top tube and a short seat tube. Konas always fit my body geometry.

    I sit on a steel 19 inch hardtail Kona and it's like.... ahhhhhhh.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

    I sit on a steel 19 inch hardtail Kona and it's like.... ahhhhhhh.
    =============================================


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us