Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let the Revis holdout speculation go into full gear

Let the Revis holdout speculation go into full gear

per profootballtalk.com...

When we last heard from Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, he was refusing to answer whether he would show up to the start of training camp. With the Jetsí veterans set to report in ten days, we still donít know whether Revis will be there.

But there seems to be plenty of doubt around the NFL about whether Revis is willing to show up to camp on time without a raise, with Chris Mortensen saying on ESPN Radio that it will be a surprise if Revis is there on Day One.

Revisís status for 2012 has been a question almost from the day he ended his previous holdout and signed his current contract in 2010. That four-year contract was structured to pay Revis most of the money over the first two years of the deal, and Revis said that if he kept playing like one of the top cornerbacks in football for the first two years of the deal, heíd expect the Jets to give him a raise. Now Revis has held up his end of it by continuing to play like one of the top cornerbacks in football.

The Jets, however, are probably going to be a lot less willing to re-do Revisís deal than they were two years ago. There reaches a point when a team simply has to tell a player that heís going to have to play under the contract he agreed to, and the Jets may have decided that that point with Revis is now.

And if thatís the case, this could be a protracted problem for a team that has insisted it needs to eliminate off-field distractions.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The only thing that has changed with this fluff piece, from the last time we saw it, is that there are 10 days to go to camp instead of 20.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The only thing that has changed with this fluff piece, from the last time we saw it, is that there are 10 days to go to camp instead of 20.
    100% spot on.

has Revis said anything lately about it? no, right? so why are they doing this? And why does Mort think it will be a surprise if he shows up at camp on day 1? who has he talked to? anyone?

Banned
    I couldn't care less about Darrelle Revis holding out.

He's the greatest Jet that I've ever seen, arguably the greatest Jet of All-Time and is currently rated #1 as the NFL's greatest defensive player around, and at the age of only 27? That's a scary thought.

The only thing that matters to me, as a fan of this franchise; is that Darrelle Revis retires as a Jet. We can't lose one of the all-time greats, especially during his prime/golden years.

If it were any other player who held out like this? It could get the best of me (as a fan). But this isn't just any other player we're talking about, it's Darrelle Revis; the greatest defensive player in all of Football.

Hopefully he's ready for training camp, but if not? He'll be ready come week one of the regular season. Hopefully with a long-term contract too.

Revis will hold out because he knows ultimately the Jets will cave.

They shouldn't but they will. I say start shopping him around now and trade him in the next few weeks. Get rid of the distraction.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And guys like Mortenson stirring the pot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I couldn't care less about Darrelle Revis holding out.

He's the greatest Jet that I've ever seen, arguably the greatest Jet of All-Time and is currently rated #1 as the NFL's greatest defensive player around, and at the age of only 27? That's a scary thought.

The only thing that matters to me, as a fan of this franchise; is that Darrelle Revis retires as a Jet. We can't lose one of the all-time greats, especially during his prime/golden years.

If it were any other player who held out like this? It could get the best of me (as a fan). But this isn't just any other player we're talking about, it's Darrelle Revis; the greatest defensive player in all of Football.

Hopefully he's ready for training camp, but if not? He'll be ready come week one of the regular season. Hopefully with a long-term contract too.
    And pull a hammy like he did 2 seasons ago?

Top notch reporting. He might hold out, he might not. I think he will, but he might not. Just fantastic.

Let me start out by saying that I don't think Revis will hold out.

Anyways, it should be against the rules to re-negotiate a contract with more than one year left on it. And also, if four years, $48M is a band aid because $32M came in the first two years, I guess Brees' new signed deal which gives him $40M in year one and "only" $60M in those remaining four is a band aid as well.

And if Revis holds out, let him sit out an entire season and rot and trade him in the off-season, unless of course you could get something for him before the Week 6 or 8 (was that approved?) trading deadline. Name me the last time a stud CB carried a team to a Lombardi. Love Revis, but if he holds out this year, enough is enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    mort is the least credible reporter on such things

based on DR not saying anything to jackasses like him he's decided that means that Revis won't be there

All Pro
    If this jac***off holds out again, trade his ass to the Colts this year, with the stipulation that he is traded off the Colts and to the next worse team until his career is over and he has NO SHOT at even sniffing the playoffs, let alone winning a Super Bowl.

UN-F***KING-BELIEVABLE

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    If this jac***off holds out again, trade his ass to the Colts this year, with the stipulation that he is traded off the Colts and to the next worse team until his career is over and he has NO SHOT at even sniffing the playoffs, let alone winning a Super Bowl.

UN-F***KING-BELIEVABLE
    What? You don't think a player should hold out three times in six years?

Hall Of Fame
    We shall see in 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

UN-F***KING-BELIEVABLE
    He will not hold out I can't understand why jet fans even entertain the possibilty of him doing so this year.

He can sulk and be a bad teammate and a pain in the locker room but that is it.

This is very weird.

This story has gone on and off for the last few months. First people are worried, and then nothing, no worries. Now it comes up again.

This sounds a bit like the media trying to fish for a story because the Jets have done an immaculate job of keeping themselves out of the press the last few months.

Rex has certainly learned his lesson.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    This is very weird.

This story has gone on and off for the last few months. First people are worried, and then nothing, no worries. Now it comes up again.

This sounds a bit like the media trying to fish for a story because the Jets have done an immaculate job of keeping themselves out of the press the last few months.

Rex has certainly learned his lesson.
    Funny thing is neither the Jets nor Revis himself has said anything to fuel this fire. Its all media speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Funny thing is neither the Jets nor Revis himself has said anything to fuel this fire. Its all media speculation.
    Exactly. Are they searching for something that isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    This is very weird.

Rex has certainly learned his lesson
    I'm a big fan of this aspect. It does seem like the Jets are keeping all their stuff in-house, which naturally just sparks more speculation on the part of the media.

Old Rex might have said something to the effect of, "He's the best defensive player in football, why shouldn't he hold out?"

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    While that may be true, Revis certainly hasn't put any water on said fire. By saying he isn't sure whether he will or not report to camp, it gives the media the foot in the door they need to run with it.

I stopped reading right here...

per profootballtalk.com...