Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we finally declare...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we finally declare...

that Rex has learned his lesson?

A lot of you on here (SlickBri, for one) expected Rex to go off and go back to old form.

I have hardly heard anything from the Jets this offseason. Not a brash word nor boast. Not an outlandish comment.

Can we give him credit for this, please?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

A lot of you on here (SlickBri, for one) expected Rex to go off and go back to old form.

I have hardly heard anything from the Jets this offseason. Not a brash word nor boast. Not an outlandish comment.

Let's see how TC goes first before making a "final declaration."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could you at least wait until the end of training camp to
    announce the new, improved, quieter more word efficient Rex ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Could you at least wait until the end of training camp to
    announce the new, improved, quieter more word efficient Rex ?
    Why should I? He has had every opportunity to say something and he hasn't.

Besides, training camp isnt technically in the offseason. Its like spring training.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex blurts out things when he is trying to make thirty reporters laugh.

In those daily press conferences, the truth will be indicated ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Rex blurts out things when he is trying to make thirty reporters laugh.

In those daily press conferences, the truth will be indicated ...
    No, because if he's only trying to make the reporters laugh, then I have no problem with it. There's a difference between joking and boasting.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, because if he's only trying to make the reporters laugh, then I have no problem with it. There's a difference between joking and boasting.
    Fair enough but that is where Rex's words can look weird ... the next day in print out of the context of bs'ing in the pressroom with the reporters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is the problem, he wants the media to "like" him. It does not matter what an NFL coach does with the media. The only thing that counts is winning more than you lose and make the playoffs. If the team plays well the media goes along for the ride, the team falters and the media circle like sharks.

Rex got a free pass with just minor digs from the media, if the jets don't make the playoffs this year and the Giants do again, it will be a feeding frenzy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    That is the problem, he wants the media to "like" him. It does not matter what an NFL coach does with the media. The only thing that counts is winning more than you lose and make the playoffs. If the team plays well the media goes along for the ride, the team falters and the media circle like sharks.

Rex got a free pass with just minor digs from the media, if the jets don't make the playoffs this year and the Giants do again, it will be a feeding frenzy
    I don't think he's some insecure guy who's deperately trying to get the media to like him and laugh at his jokes. That's just his personality -- he's a loudmouth center of attention jokester type.

Personally, I don't put too much stock into Rex keeping quiet at this point -- the crosstown team won the SB and our division rival was also in it. He'd look like an idiot if he was boasting now. If we start 3-0, will he be chirping then?

Regardless, it's good that he's not and that he seems to have addressed many of the problems with last years team; he definitley seems to be all about business and getting better for now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt he's been quiet, but I won't give him credit for it. I'm actually pretty disappointed. Hopefully he's chillin on vacation somewhere surrounded by chicks with cute feet away from reporters, and that explains the silence. Resting to come back with a vengeance, prepared to take over the backpages.

His style has proven to be pretty darn good for the Jets. Last year's injuries/collapse not included obviously. Plus it's freakin entertaining.

I'm not sure I could care any less about what some commentators, fans, reporters, or other teams think about it. In fact, the more I hear about the "circus", the better. Let 'em whine about it. I say let the team (and coach) be themselves and have fun with the talking.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why should I? He has had every opportunity to say something and he hasn't.

Besides, training camp isnt technically in the offseason. Its like spring training.
    Apparently, your mind is made up.

But you'll have to excuse many of us if we would rather wait until after TC.

We're not ready to make the declaration.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... rex firmly believes the loss of TC hurt his team last year ...

... he is ready to get the team buying into the "all for one and one for all" mantra this year ...

... he is trying to limit any distractions to getting the team to buy into this message (as exhibited by his declining "hard knocks") ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say in regards to Rex Ryan, is that he's lived up to expectations... And then some.

If you would have told us (as a fan base), that after the signing of coach Rex Ryan, that he would have led us to two AFC Championship Games during a three year period (first time in Franchise History), #1, #3 and #5 ranked defenses (3 consecutive seasons of top 5 defense for the first time in franchise history), along with a rookie, 2nd year and 3rd year developing quarterback? We all would have accepted coach Ryan with open arms. He's coached us to an overall record of 32-24. He's only getting started as a 4th year head coach. The best of coach Ryan has yet to come.

So what, he loves to talk and have fun with the media, but he also believes in his team and his players at the same time. It's his style of coaching philosophy, but at the end of the day? He's an excellent head coach. He's truthfully the best thing that's happened to our franchise since Bill Parcells.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-16-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Really doesn't matter what Rex Ryan says or doesn't say. Jets win and it really doesn't matter.
    Same token he doesn't say anything and they struggle , he still going to get hell. Life of a coach coaching in one of the biggest markets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ultimately winning a super bowl is all that matters and what Oedipus Rex will be judged on. Ask Buffalo , Jim Kelly if they are happy with being SB runner ups four times. AFC ... KFC , HOF fame cornerbacks, retiring number 24, mean nothing ... zip, zilch, winning the big one is all that counts. If he wins an SB, he can suck toes, swear at fans, open a strip bar, it doesn't matter. Sports, Football is about winning the ultimate prize, everybody else is a failure.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Never, the thick skulled whiners will always ask for more time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Never, the thick skulled whiners will always ask for more time.
    Hows about we get through a full season of ball, before we annoint him reformed? Friggin training camp hasnt even started.

Is that too much time?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, so good. I don't even want Rex to stop being who he is, just be more careful about what he says. Specifically, don't disparage other teams or their players, and don't talk up our own players too much.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't sleep at night?

:hug:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hows about we get through a full season of ball, before we annoint him reformed? Friggin training camp hasnt even started.

Is that too much time?

LOL.

Yes, the defenders of everything Rex want to declare "victory" after a couple of weeks of OTA's.