Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we finally declare...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    That is the problem, he wants the media to "like" him. It does not matter what an NFL coach does with the media. The only thing that counts is winning more than you lose and make the playoffs. If the team plays well the media goes along for the ride, the team falters and the media circle like sharks.

Rex got a free pass with just minor digs from the media, if the jets don't make the playoffs this year and the Giants do again, it will be a feeding frenzy
    Of course you want to think personality doesn't matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hows about we get through a full season of ball, before we annoint him reformed? Friggin training camp hasnt even started.

Is that too much time?

How about giving him credit for sticking to his word since the end of last season instead of arguing over a proper time frame before the negative Nancys that have overrun this board are satisfied?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Could you at least wait until the end of training camp to
    announce the new, improved, quieter more word efficient Rex ?
    +1 Aimless thread

Banned
    I just don't understand our fan base (from time to time). Why would any of us have a problem with Rex Ryan talking and/or being confident through the eyes of the media? It's his style of philosophy as a head coach. He's a winner.

Wake me up when players such as Mark Sanchez, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, David Harris and Cromartie begin to walk away from contract extensions, all because they can no longer relate to their head coach and/or don't believe in his overall philosophy of coaching. We also have two potential free agents in Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller, both waiting to sign long term contract extension(s) with the Jets; with coach Ryan as head coach. Guys such as Jim Leonhard and Bart Scott have followed this man from Baltimore to New York. Future Hall of Fame free agents in LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor came to chase a ring under coach Ryan. Lets hope LaRon Landry becomes the next ring chaser under Ryan. This man, as a football coach, is respected around the league and also respected by former Raven greats such as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

We've gone 32-22 under coach Ryan (Went 30-20 under Parcells during his first 3 seasons as Jets head coach) . We've landed two trips to an AFC Championship Game during a three year span; first time in franchise history. The last time we landed a trip to the AFC Championship Game, before Rex, was back in 1998 under coach Parcells. How quickly some of these Rex Ryan critics have forgotten. "He talks too much". We've finished with top 5 rated defenses during 3 consecutive seasons; first time in franchise history. #1, #3 and #5 ranked defenses over the past 3 years. Have eliminated (from postseason play) QB's and Teams such as Palmer and the Bengals, Rivers and the Chargers, Manning and the Colts and Brady, Belichick and the Patriots. All on the road. He's done all of this... With a very raw/developing quarterback in Mark Sanchez too.

But yet, some Jet fans feel that they actually have the right (or should I say nerve) to question and/or call this man out, due to his coaching philosophy of being extremely confident through the eyes of the media? Maybe these types of fans, maybe they've forgotten how much success we've really had under coach Ryan during these past 3 years dating back to 2009.

Some Jet fans also seem to believe that we've seen the best of coach Ryan and/or the league has "caught up" to his style of defense. I'll agree to disagree. We're just getting started. We're on the verge of seeing a truly dominant defense moving forward. Outside of Pace, Harris, Thomas and Revis, this is a Rex Ryan made/created/formed defense. It may have taken 4 years to form, but the best of Ryan led defenses have yet to come.

Since Rex has arrived, we've surrounded Revis with top of the line talent at the CB position in Cromartie and Wilson. We've formed the strongest trio of CB's. Revis was considered to be borderline great after the 08 season, but he's transformed into not only one of the greatest Jets of all-time, but has also developed into the greatest NFL defensive player around since being coached up by Rex Ryan. Ryan seen something special in Revis since day one, and he's since built our defense around this kid. We all know how much Rex loves defensive backs, and because of his love for defensive backfield ability; we're now on the verge of featuring 4 1st rounders in Revis, Cromartie, Wilson and Landry (6th overall). The addition(s) of Landry and Bell could become huge. We're on the verge of featuring two big, physical, aggressive, strong, hard hitting, loves to make contact types of Safety's in Bell and Landry. Spitting images of Rex Ryan himself. These two safety's are Taylor-Made for a Rex Ryan led defense (Hard Hitting Bullets). With our trio of CB's locked down in man coverage, Rex and company will use these two safety's to roam the middle of the field, while looking to punish opposing TE's and WR's trying to cross underneath at the same time. He's completely re-vamped our defensive line with the additions of K.Ellis, Tevaseu, Dixon and how could we forget about our two first round draft selections in Coples and Wilkerson; which could end up developing/being our strongest set of DE's since Abraham and S.Ellis. Last but not least, Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha. DeVito has emerged as a strong backup/role-playing defensive lineman and Pouha, under Ryan, has emerged into a top five 3-4 NT, anchoring 3 consecutive top 5 defenses under coach Ryan. He's also replaced the likes of Gholston with a true pass rushing talent in Aaron Maybin. Bart Scott followed coach Ryan from Baltimore to New York and what about the addition of Demario Davis? We've all asked for improved speed in regards to our front 7, well, Maybin, Davis and Sapp all say hello.

I'm not scared to say it either, so what that he's expressed his confidence (in our team) through the eyes of the media? I'm proud of the fact that Rex Ryan is the head coach of our New York Jets.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-17-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    So far, so good. I don't even want Rex to stop being who he is, just be more careful about what he says. Specifically, don't disparage other teams or their players, and don't talk up our own players too much.
    Exactly. I would be more worried if REX did start talking after last seasons collapse. Everything he opened his mouth about came back and bit him in the a$$. He declared it was a Jets town and the Giants beat him in the regular season and ended up winning the Super Bowl, the Patriots won yet another division title and made it to the Super Bowl. He admitted he lost the pulse of the team, there were guys fighting on the field during the last game of the year, and he fired his offensive coordinator. What exactly is he going to run his mouth about this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I just don't understand our fan base (from time to time). Why would any of us have a problem with Rex Ryan talking and/or being confident through the eyes of the media? It's his style of philosophy as a head coach. He's a winner.
    I agree with this.

The problem with Rex hasn't been his brash, talkative, confident personality, no matter how many of you want it to be. It worked fine for us during his first two seasons, did it not? The problem last year was that he lost touch with the locker room, as evident by the players comments as well as his own.

The "new and improved" Rex shouldn't be a guy who never says anything anymore. To be clear, I have zero problems with him saying we're going to win the Super Bowl this year or any other year. If I'm a player, that's what I want to hear from my coach and that's what gets me pumped up to play. A new and improved Rex is one that keeps a firm grasp on the pulse of the players, regardless of how much boasting he does.

So he's been quieter this offseason. That in itself isn't proof that he's an improved coach, but to me it implies that he's more focused now on preparing for the season and simply isn't afforded the time to speak out as much. My hope is that once the season rolls around we HEAR the good ol' Rex Ryan and SEE the improved one based on the team's success on the field. This remains to be seen, but unlike some, I'm very optimistic.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    +1 Aimless thread
    I can't fix the rudder, but luckily...someone just added a few tons of ballast!

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

Wake me up when players such as Mark Sanchez, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, David Harris and Cromartie begin to walk away from contract extensions, all because they can no longer relate to their head coach and/or don't believe in his overall philosophy of coaching. We also have two potential free agents in Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller, both waiting to sign long term contract extension(s) with the Jets; with coach Ryan as head coach. Guys such as Jim Leonhard and Bart Scott have followed this man from Baltimore to New York. Future Hall of Fame free agents in LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor came to chase a ring under coach Ryan. Lets hope LaRon Landry becomes the next ring chaser under Ryan. This man, as a football coach, is respected around the league and also respected by former Raven greats such as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

We've gone 32-22 under coach Ryan (Went 30-20 under Parcells during his first 3 seasons as Jets head coach) . We've landed two trips to an AFC Championship Game during a three year span; first time in franchise history. The last time we landed a trip to the AFC Championship Game, before Rex, was back in 1998 under coach Parcells. How quickly some of these Rex Ryan critics have forgotten. "He talks too much". We've finished with top 5 rated defenses during 3 consecutive seasons; first time in franchise history. #1, #3 and #5 ranked defenses over the past 3 years. Have eliminated (from postseason play) QB's and Teams such as Palmer and the Bengals, Rivers and the Chargers, Manning and the Colts and Brady, Belichick and the Patriots. All on the road. He's done all of this... With a very raw/developing quarterback in Mark Sanchez too.

But yet, some Jet fans feel that they actually have the right (or should I say nerve) to question and/or call this man out, due to his coaching philosophy of being extremely confident through the eyes of the media? Maybe these types of fans, maybe they've forgotten how much success we've really had under coach Ryan during these past 3 years dating back to 2009.

Some Jet fans also seem to believe that we've seen the best of coach Ryan and/or the league has "caught up" to his style of defense. I'll agree to disagree. We're just getting started. We're on the verge of seeing a truly dominant defense moving forward. Outside of Pace, Harris, Thomas and Revis, this is a Rex Ryan made/created/formed defense. It may have taken 4 years to form, but the best of Ryan led defenses have yet to come.

Since Rex has arrived, we've surrounded Revis with top of the line talent at the CB position in Cromartie and Wilson. We've formed the strongest trio of CB's. Revis was considered to be borderline great after the 08 season, but he's transformed into not only one of the greatest Jets of all-time, but has also developed into the greatest NFL defensive player around since being coached up by Rex Ryan. Ryan seen something special in Revis since day one, and he's since built our defense around this kid. We all know how much Rex loves defensive backs, and because of his love for defensive backfield ability; we're now on the verge of featuring 4 1st rounders in Revis, Cromartie, Wilson and Landry (6th overall). The addition(s) of Landry and Bell could become huge. We're on the verge of featuring two big, physical, aggressive, strong, hard hitting, loves to make contact types of Safety's in Bell and Landry. Spitting images of Rex Ryan himself. These two safety's are Taylor-Made for a Rex Ryan led defense (Hard Hitting Bullets). With our trio of CB's locked down in man coverage, Rex and company will use these two safety's to roam the middle of the field, while looking to punish opposing TE's and WR's trying to cross underneath at the same time. He's completely re-vamped our defensive line with the additions of K.Ellis, Tevaseu, Dixon and how could we forget about our two first round draft selections in Coples and Wilkerson; which could end up developing/being our strongest set of DE's since Abraham and S.Ellis. Last but not least, Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha. DeVito has emerged as a strong backup/role-playing defensive lineman and Pouha, under Ryan, has emerged into a top five 3-4 NT, anchoring 3 consecutive top 5 defenses under coach Ryan. He's also replaced the likes of Gholston with a true pass rushing talent in Aaron Maybin. Bart Scott followed coach Ryan from Baltimore to New York and what about the addition of Demario Davis? We've all asked for improved speed in regards to our front 7, well, Maybin, Davis and Sapp all say hello.

I'm not scared to say it either, so what that he's expressed his confidence (in our team) through the eyes of the media? I'm proud of the fact that Rex Ryan is the head coach of our New York Jets.
    Ballast!

Jets Insider VIP
    Bump.

Rex Just Called Himself "The Greatest Defensive Coach in Football"

I think the final declaration just got trumped...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Let's see how TC goes first before making a "final declaration."
    LOL.

That didn't last long.

Veteran
    I love this thread !

. .. these training camp pressers are going to be fun.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

That didn't last long.

He just can't help himself.

As I listen to him talk to the media, I can hear it in his voice. Read it on his face.

He always wants to say something provocative.

Obviously, some on here like that. I personally like the "do your talking on the field" approach.

Rex doesn't sound like a Rookie HC anymore, but he still sounds like Rex

I do not count the statement he made today as being overblown so my edict still stands. The statement was probably factual.

What I mean is that:

No Guarantees
    No OUTLANDISH statements.

That statement wasn't outlandish because its probably true

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

I don't get it.

When Rex speaks highly of his team and talks championships, he's seen as a brash, loudmouth jerkoff.

But when Ryan Kalil takes out a full page add in the paper guaranteeing that the Carolina f*cking Panthers are going to win the Superbowl, everyone wants to give him a pat on the back.

Lovie Smith even guaranteed a Superbowl victory earlier in the offseason and I haven't heard a peep about it since.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I do not count the statement he made today as being overblown so my edict still stands. The statement was probably factual.

What I mean is that:

No Guarantees
    No OUTLANDISH statements.

That statement wasn't outlandish because its probably true
    Your right someone declaring THEMSELVES as the greatest anything isnt outlandish.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

That didn't last long.

Yeah,we'll he spends no time in offensive meetings and holy cow the last 3 games of 2011 showed his brilliance. BTW, last time I checked he was a head coach.mLike your QB bragging he was the best in college.

Rex. STFU before the Giants and Pats embarrass you Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

I don't get it.

When Rex speaks highly of his team and talks championships, he's seen as a brash, loudmouth jerkoff.

But when Ryan Kalil takes out a full page add in the paper guaranteeing that the Carolina f*cking Panthers are going to win the Superbowl, everyone wants to give him a pat on the back.

Lovie Smith even guaranteed a Superbowl victory earlier in the offseason and I haven't heard a peep about it since.
    Kalil isn't the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Your right someone declaring THEMSELVES as the greatest anything isnt outlandish.
    It's not because he's probably right. Belichick lost that right with the defenses that he has put together the last few years.

Now if he had said "HEAD coach" then we would have a problem.

Bewildered Beast

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardukis View Post
    Kalil isn't the coach.
    So explain Lovie Smith