Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Interesting Comment on Sparano's O (McElroy)

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Interesting Comment on Sparano's O (McElroy)

    http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/06/...to-normal-now/

    “It’s a difficult system but it’s very similar to what we did last year in terms of reads and concepts,” he said. “We’re running the same plays but with different verbiage.” -McElroy

    Is the fan base in general, aware of the parallels that are drawn from the two systems (Sparano, Schotty)? Or were we expecting an entirely new system?
    I feel almost mislead perhaps by the fact that the picture that was drawn was in reality, a horse, as opposed to the sketched chicken.
    So if they're "running the same plays but with different verbiage", what can we expect to be different? Is it all about situation coupled with the potentially countless nuances of each offensive system? I was taken back a bit when I read this, and actually left me a tad uncomfortable. What are your reactions?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy better shut his trap or he'll be gone by August

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    McElroy better shut his trap or he'll be gone by August
    There is a reason he is still here. His mouth would've had him packing long ago if he had no ability

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he knows much except for the new verbiage, and what he sees in the playbook. Of course the concepts are the same. They're NFL concepts. Let him tell me it's the same after he has mastered it. This also may be construed as a slight to Sanchez. The difference to me will be in the repetitions of certain plays until they don't have to think about the plays out there, and can concentrate on the defense. Of course the situations the plays are called in may be different as well. I especially would like them to get to the line, set with 15 seconds left on the clock. Lets put the pressure on the defense for once. Lets also have more options, and use of the whole field. Before you say he can't read the whole field. I'll say less plays and more reps will allow him to be more confident in where everyone will be. Can we master a few plays instead of kind of knowing hundreds of plays? That goes for the receivers too. Not just Mark.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sparano's offense is way different than Schottenheimer's. There are parallels in every offense. Blocking schemes, running plays, passing routes. The plays may be similar, but the philosophy of how it's run is the key.

    Will Sparano run a draw on 3rd and 12?

    Will Sparano call a 7 yard route on a 3rd and 8?

    Will Sparano keep running the ball if Greene can't gain more than 1 yard on 10 carries in a row?

    Everything that comes out of McElroy's mouth has a negative undertone on it. He seldom says anything, but when he does there's always a catch.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schotty's playbook was never the problem, it was the gameplanning and the game calling that were problems, and the decisions he made when calling for them.

    Most offenses in the NFL all have similar concepts, most coaches have very big play books.

    Verbiage and how they deploy those concepts and when to deploy them is what makes a good OC.

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of Shotty's biggest problem was which play was called based on the situation... so even if the plays are similar we can improve greatly by simply calling the right play at the right time

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Sparano's offense is way different than Schottenheimer's. There are parallels in every offense. Blocking schemes, running plays, passing routes. The plays may be similar, but the philosophy of how it's run is the key.

    Will Sparano run a draw on 3rd and 12?

    Will Sparano call a 7 yard route on a 3rd and 8?

    Will Sparano keep running the ball if Greene can't gain more than 1 yard on 10 carries in a row?

    Everything that comes out of McElroy's mouth has a negative undertone on it. He seldom says anything, but when he does there's always a catch.
    I don't get the knock on McElroy, why is what he said deemed negative, or bad? It was an honest response, it's not a knock against Schotty or Sparano.

    As I mentioned above, it's all about the game planning for a specific game, the game calling, and how and when to deploy the many offensive concepts most coaches have that can draw comparisons.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I don't get the knock on McElroy, why is what he said deemed negative, or bad? It was an honest response, it's not a knock against Schotty or Sparano.

    As I mentioned above, it's all about the game planning for a specific game, the game calling, and how and when to deploy the many offensive concepts most coaches have that can draw comparisons.
    The guy has never opened his mouth except when he doesn't like something. I just think he should keep his mouth shut. Along with other players.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The guy has never opened his mouth except when he doesn't like something. I just think he should keep his mouth shut. Along with other players.
    But what about the comment quoted in this thread is something he "doesn't like?"

    The only comments we see are the ones the media portrays, how can any of that be conceived as "opening his mouth," or "needing to keep it shut?"

    Let's not take the comments made after the end of last year, and twist everything that has been said since. I agree, he should have kept his mouth shut when commenting to the public about the Jets' locker room, but there has been no such other incident since.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    But what about the comment quoted in this thread is something he "doesn't like?"

    The only comments we see are the ones the media portrays, how can any of that be conceived as "opening his mouth," or "needing to keep it shut?"

    Let's not take the comments made after the end of last year, and twist everything that has been said since. I agree, he should have kept his mouth shut when commenting to the public about the Jets' locker room, but there has been no such other incident since.
    Ray, we haven't heard from him since those comments. Now he comes out with this. I'm not focusing on it being negative, but the taste in my mouth is that he's not content with anything on the Jets right now until proven otherwise.

    I like his play, and hope he's wrong that the systems are the same, but I strongly believe that you keep dirty laundry in house, and he didn't do that.

    Anyway, if the guy had an arm like Brian Stafford, he'd be a first round talent, IMO.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Ray, we haven't heard from him since those comments. Now he comes out with this. I'm not focusing on it being negative, but the taste in my mouth is that he's not content with anything on the Jets right now until proven otherwise.

    I like his play, and hope he's wrong that the systems are the same, but I strongly believe that you keep dirty laundry in house, and he didn't do that.

    Anyway, if the guy had an arm like Brian Stafford, he'd be a first round talent, IMO.
    Who is Brian Stafford, and isn't he supposed to be no better than Sanchez after 3 years?

    :
    Last edited by Dcat; 07-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Who is Brian Stafford?

    :
    Matt Stafford, my bad. I know a Brian Stafford.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Matt Stafford, my bad. I know a Brian Stafford.
    LOL. Does Brian Stafford only lock on exclusively to Megatron when he throws the ball just like Matt Stafford does? And if so, does this excuse Sanchez from doing similar things?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Matt Stafford, my bad. I know a Brian Stafford.
    You must have been pounding a few beers last night with ken.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Sparano's offense is way different than Schottenheimer's. There are parallels in every offense. Blocking schemes, running plays, passing routes. The plays may be similar, but the philosophy of how it's run is the key.

    Will Sparano run a draw on 3rd and 12?

    Will Sparano call a 7 yard route on a 3rd and 8?

    Will Sparano keep running the ball if Greene can't gain more than 1 yard on 10 carries in a row?

    Everything that comes out of McElroy's mouth has a negative undertone on it. He seldom says anything, but when he does there's always a catch.
    Bingo! That sums it up right there! I don't know why this idiot hasn't been cut yet. With such a big mouth and he is the freakn' 3rd stringer!

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    All we kept hearing was how simplified Sparano's offense was. Just line up and run the play. Less thinking. Then we started hearing about the audibles and site adjustments. Now we are hearing it is the same as Schotty's. So basically we have nothing but contradictions.

    But our OL coach has a SB ring.

    I will wait and see how this offense comes out Week 1. Almost anything would be an upgrade from last year.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    LOL. Does Brian Stafford only lock on exclusively to Megatron when he throws the ball just like Matt Stafford does? And if so, does this excuse Sanchez from doing similar things?
    Do you know that Sanchez is told which progressions to go through on his plays, except when he runs the 2 minute offense where he calls the plays?

    When was Sanchez more successful?

    Just saying.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    Bingo! That sums it up right there! I don't know why this idiot hasn't been cut yet. With such a big mouth and he is the freakn' 3rd stringer!
    By all account McElroy is an extremely smart person and football player. He is likely very analytical. And I should also mention that nothing he has said has ever been proven false. I don't see why he would have any reason to lie.

    IMO this might be the most accurate assessment of Sparano's offense we have gotten till this point. McElroy is a winning player who came from a college team that was run like an NFL team.

    McElroy is NOT what is wrong with this team.

  20. #20
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we keep hearing from a 3rd string quarterback? A few good preseason games doesn't earn you the right to be vocal. Kid hasn't even seen live bullets in an NFL regular seseason game. Earn your stripes first then blab all you want.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us