Thread: comparing the jets first three draft picks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

comparing the jets first three draft picks

reading lindys pro football magazine.I was checking out other teams first three picks compared to the jets first three picks.in my estimation I would rate the jets picks in the top five. coples was a stroke of luck in falling to the jets.hill to me has all the essentials to be a future all pro.davis is a sleeper pick,being that he has played for a small school.but I guess that the jets saw his potential to be a winner..does anyone agree with me?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... with limited "real" looks at them as a Pro yet there is always an element of "hopefullness" for fans of any team at this time of year ...

... all that being said ... this is the best i've felt about a draft in a long time ...

... QC and Hill both have home run potential ... whether either or both pan(s) out will have to be seen ... but i'm excited ...

... davis seems to have the vocal leadership skills to replace scott after this season ...

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... let a TC cut RT fall into our lap and pass me the jergens! ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't know if you can rate any draft pick until after a few games, at least. however the jets certainly addressed some needs with the first three and they apparently drafted guys who were at least rated as highly as their draft level. i don't know if you can expect much more than a jag player 3rd round and below. first round should be near hof and 2nd round very good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Hill could and should be homeruns. Davis, a pick that took me by surprise has quickly grown into a fascinating selection. Something about him smells ripe. Playmaker on the horizon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's certainly above average

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hill is going to be the best draft pick we've made in years, just have this feeling about him. I dont see him putting up huge receiving stats this season but he's going to be a beast blocker, draw coverage away from Santonio, and catch some deep passes for us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Hill is going to be the best draft pick we've made in years, just have this feeling about him. I dont see him putting up huge receiving stats this season but he's going to be a beast blocker, draw coverage away from Santonio, and catch some deep passes for us.
    I agree. A 6'4 WR who runs a 4.3 flat? That's considered to be top of the line speed. Amazing speed for a 6'4 wide out. Not only that, but this kid has the leaping/jumping ability to become/develop into a red-zone monster. Outstanding jumping ability, to say the least. Lets just say not that not even Braylon Edwards and/or a Plaxico Burress at 6'5 coming out of college could compete with this kid's vertical jump and/or broad jumping ability. At 6'4 to go along with outstanding jumping ability? Hill has all the makings of a lethal red zone target. And as you've already mentioned, could become a very nice deep threat as well as a strong run blocking wide out for this Jets offense. Led the nation in average yards per reception last season. Deep threat. Ranked as the Nation's #2 run blocking wide receiver coming out. Braylon Edwards 2.0 in regards to run blocking ability. I simply love this draft selection (see the picture below as further proof). I also can't help but love the #84. Top of the line speed, outstanding jumping ability, strong as an ox on the outside etc, etc. Haven't been this anxious in regards to a rookie Jets WR since either Keyshawn, Santana Moss or Coles. Can't wait for Stephen Hill to take the field.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    reading lindys pro football magazine.I was checking out other teams first three picks compared to the jets first three picks.in my estimation I would rate the jets picks in the top five. coples was a stroke of luck in falling to the jets.hill to me has all the essentials to be a future all pro.davis is a sleeper pick,being that he has played for a small school.but I guess that the jets saw his potential to be a winner..does anyone agree with me?
    I strongly agree with you. I also think that Antonio Allen is going to be a major find for us in the late draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... let a TC cut RT fall into our lap and pass me the jergens! ...

Our RT is on our team! We have to have some patience and remember that the whole OL was out of synch last year. Brick actually allowed more sacks then everyones favorite target to dump on( Wayne Hunter). If the guy can't cut it in the early camp Sparano will go to plan B and he is massive. And yes he is on our team already. We do not need to pick up yesterday's news from other teams! We need to develop our own talent either via the draft or UDFA's. The idea is to get younger and stronger and for less money. Yesterdays news costs money unless they agree to play for the vet minimum. Consistency on the OL matters. Play our kids if Hunter fails. We must develop for the future. We have Landolt and Austin howard. Remember: the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

l_j_r
    Our RT is on our team! We have to have some patience and remember that the whole OL was out of synch last year. Brick actually allowed more sacks then everyones favorite target to dump on( Wayne Hunter). If the guy can't cut it in the early camp Sparano will go to plan B and he is massive. And yes he is on our team already. We do not need to pick up yesterday's news from other teams! We need to develop our own talent either via the draft or UDFA's. The idea is to get younger and stronger and for less money. Yesterdays news costs money unless they agree to play for the vet minimum. Consistency on the OL matters. Play our kids if Hunter fails. We must develop for the future. We have Landolt and Austin howard. Remember: the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely have high hopes for Coples, the man has the body to be a monster. But I remember when we first picked him up hearing reports about him being lazy.I'm sure he'll prove himself but till then it's all up in the air.

Hill though that was definitely our best pick we got lucky. The man will be a star. You'll all see.

Davis I like him I think he has a lot of heart and is a hard worker. All in due time.

Our 3 picks have the talent and can be great let's hope Rex can get these boys up to par.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I agree. A 6'4 WR who runs a 4.3 flat? That's considered to be top of the line speed. Amazing speed for a 6'4 wide out. Not only that, but this kid has the leaping/jumping ability to become/develop into a red-zone monster. Outstanding jumping ability, to say the least. Lets just say not that not even Braylon Edwards and/or a Plaxico Burress at 6'5 coming out of college could compete with this kid's vertical jump and/or broad jumping ability. At 6'4 to go along with outstanding jumping ability? Hill has all the makings of a lethal red zone target. And as you've already mentioned, could become a very nice deep threat as well as a strong run blocking wide out for this Jets offense. Led the nation in average yards per reception last season. Deep threat. Ranked as the Nation's #2 run blocking wide receiver coming out. Braylon Edwards 2.0 in regards to run blocking ability. I simply love this draft selection (see the picture below as further proof). I also can't help but love the #84. Top of the line speed, outstanding jumping ability, strong as an ox on the outside etc, etc. Haven't been this anxious in regards to a rookie Jets WR since either Keyshawn, Santana Moss or Coles. Can't wait for Stephen Hill to take the field.
    Agreed, but I'm having flashbacks to 90210's lovefest for DHB, Schillens and co. and the sad Chargers fans who kept ranting about their tall WRs before the '09 playoff game. Oh wait...did I mention Chad Schillens?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Our RT is on our team!

... if you can take your reply out of my quote i'd appreciate it! ...

... i'm afraid that you're correct ... if so may he pan out as you say ... just don't think it will happen ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-17-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post
    Hill though that was definitely our best pick we got lucky.

... where we got lucky is having one of the best GM's in the business move up to make it happen ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the general consensus is that our first two picks "fell" to us (as they could have gone much higher) but that both have question marks that had people warry.

DeMario Davis was a bit of a reach but seems to have the physical tools to be a freak.

I was not a fan of the Coples pick at the time (after the Gholston debacle low effort, non-passionate players will always make me wary) but his potential has grown on me. I really hope he's a beast.

I think Hill is going to be a stud, and is just what the doctor ordered in regards to giving our offense a shot in the arm -- a big, fast, physical WR that can stretch the field and block.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best post-Mangini draft by far. Would have liked to have gotten an OL but I am very pleased with our top 3 picks. I think they will all be contributors from day 1 and you can't ask for much more than that. And down the road I can see all 3 being long-term Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that Hill fell to where he did was almost a miracle and I think will be the best pick this team has made since Revis. He's got all the skills to become a dominant Top 10 NFL WR. It's going to be fun watching him develop.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Hill were serendipity. Davis looks like a baller - high effort, high value guy. This year's draft may suprise a lot of people who were sleeping on the Jets.