Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone Time

Practice Squad

Tone Time

On NFLN now

Someone be a doll and alert the board when there is a link on NFL.com

I might forget to check back later to see if it is there

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-from-one-game

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- Fair or not, Santonio Holmes enters the 2012 season as a figure of suspicion.

Can he co-exist with Mark Sanchez? Will he be a positive presence in the locker room? How will he react if he doesn't get his touches?

It all hovers over the wide receiver as he begins his third season with the New York Jets. Of course, most of this can be traced back to one very bad afternoon in Miami. Week 17 against the Dolphins, a game in which Holmes produced no receptions but plenty of drama by fighting with teammates in the huddle and eventually being benched.

In a sit-down with Around The League, Holmes explained how four quarters of ugly football fueled a fire that raged for an entire offseason.

"It was one game. One chance that both of us (messed) up. That's all it was," Holmes said, referring to he and Sanchez. "One game that we (messed) up and it happened to be the last one of the season. Whatever everybody else took from it, it wasn't good on our behalf. We didn't make the playoffs, so it made it look that much worse.

"I broke my streak of 170-something games with a catch in it, I (messed) that up. No catches in the game, that looked bad. We didn't make the playoffs, we got blown out by the Miami Dolphins, it all just looked bad. Whatever happened, it was all bad."

Despite that, Holmes still sees chemistry concerns for the Jets as a media creation. I asked him if going to a Knicks game with Sanchez, tweeting about dinner together and attending the QB's "Jets West" camp in California is a calculated attempt to dispel rumors of discord between the two.

"We know what the media is doing to us, or at least is trying to do to us, it doesn't bother us," he said. "We play professional football. That's all that matters. How are we going to get the job done? And if it requires me tweeting a picture about both of us having dinner and everybody commenting, so be it.

"But we're doing this because this is what keeps me in house for the next six years," Holmes added, referring to the long-term deal he signed last year. "This is what keeps him a confident quarterback."

Holmes is being proactive, but that cloud of suspicion will continue to hang over him. He (messed) up, and this is the consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    "It was one game. One chance that both of us (messed) up. That's all it was," .
    Come on, it's a great spin... you can almost buy it. I'm glad to see my hard earned PSL and ticket money is going to some bright spin doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-from-one-game

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- Fair or not, Santonio Holmes enters the 2012 season as a figure of suspicion.

Can he co-exist with Mark Sanchez? Will he be a positive presence in the locker room? How will he react if he doesn't get his touches?

It all hovers over the wide receiver as he begins his third season with the New York Jets. Of course, most of this can be traced back to one very bad afternoon in Miami. Week 17 against the Dolphins, a game in which Holmes produced no receptions but plenty of drama by fighting with teammates in the huddle and eventually being benched.

In a sit-down with Around The League, Holmes explained how four quarters of ugly football fueled a fire that raged for an entire offseason.

"It was one game. One chance that both of us (messed) up. That's all it was," Holmes said, referring to he and Sanchez. "One game that we (messed) up and it happened to be the last one of the season. Whatever everybody else took from it, it wasn't good on our behalf. We didn't make the playoffs, so it made it look that much worse.

"I broke my streak of 170-something games with a catch in it, I (messed) that up. No catches in the game, that looked bad. We didn't make the playoffs, we got blown out by the Miami Dolphins, it all just looked bad. Whatever happened, it was all bad."

Despite that, Holmes still sees chemistry concerns for the Jets as a media creation. I asked him if going to a Knicks game with Sanchez, tweeting about dinner together and attending the QB's "Jets West" camp in California is a calculated attempt to dispel rumors of discord between the two.

"We know what the media is doing to us, or at least is trying to do to us, it doesn't bother us," he said. "We play professional football. That's all that matters. How are we going to get the job done? And if it requires me tweeting a picture about both of us having dinner and everybody commenting, so be it.

"But we're doing this because this is what keeps me in house for the next six years," Holmes added, referring to the long-term deal he signed last year. "This is what keeps him a confident quarterback."

Holmes is being proactive, but that cloud of suspicion will continue to hang over him. He (messed) up, and this is the consequence.
    Now with a more inflammatory headline:
    Santonio Holmes: Two-QB system won't work in NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

NEW YORK -- One team, two quarterbacks. Santonio Holmes believes that's a no-go.

The New York Jets wide receiver told NFL Network on Monday night that he doubts an NFL team can succeed by using a two-quarterback system, despite the fact Gang Green plans to use both starter Mark Sanchez and backup Tim Tebow during games this season.

"No, I don't think so," Holmes said. "You have to allow one quarterback to get into the rhythm of the game. It starts from the preparation in practice, knowing the first couple of plays that he's going to take these reps. It's getting a feel for coming onto the field with the crowd awaiting you. It's the making the mistakes early in the game to finishing the games at the end. You don't just change a guy out just because he has a few mistakes early in a game."
    Muscling up
    Mark Sanchez is impressed by Tim Tebow -- well at least his muscles. The starting QB called his backup the "The Incredible Hulk." More ...

"I think coming into this season that we have a lot to expect from Sanchez."

The Jets have insisted that Sanchez is the undisputed starter and will take the bulk of the snaps, but Tebow will be heavily involved in the offense. While it might not necessarily be a two-quarterback attack, Jets coach Rex Ryan has speculated that Tebow could be in for as many as 20 snaps, depending on the game plan. That means Sanchez could come off the field for some of those plays.

Regardless, Holmes believes Tebow's role will be defined and not disrupt the rhythm of Sanchez or the rest of new coordinator Tony Sparano's offense.

"Tebow's going to have plays where he comes in and plays," Holmes said. "Whether he plays at quarterback, Sanchez is on the field or off the field, those are the plays that Coach has designed for Tebow to run that week. I'm pretty sure he's going to get them done and he's going to do his job just as well as any other quarterback would when they get an opportunity to get on the field."

Holmes participated in Sanchez's "Jets West" camp in Southern California last week and said it was a "wonderful" opportunity for the offensive players to bond.

"Tebow looked pretty good, he was on target," Holmes said. "Sanchez has done everything that he can do to keep his starting spot. I'm thinking that he's going to be our guy this season. I'm not saying that with any bit of less confidence than the way I feel about him coming into this season. He's going to be our guy that we depended on for the past couple of years, and he's going to get the job done this year."

Holmes and Sanchez were in the middle of locker-room tension that helped derail the Jets' 2011 season -- capped by Holmes being benched in the season finale at Miami after arguing in the huddle.

Former Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson recently said on "The Rich Eisen Podcast" that Holmes could be a problem again if he's not getting his catches, but he hopes the receiver learned from what went on last season.

"When you have a playmaker on the field that wants to help his team as much as myself and L.T. does, you have to find a way to get them the ball," Holmes said. "You have to find a way to allow these guys to be great teammates and by fulfilling those needs is one way of allowing a guy to be a great teammate."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Holmes said. "You have to find a way to allow these guys to be great teammates and by fulfilling those needs is one way of allowing a guy to be a great teammate."
    Is this guy ****ing serious? He's a truly a POS, cares more about his own stats than the team's success, just like McElroy said after the season ended.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Is this guy ****ing serious? He's a truly a POS, cares more about his own stats than the team's success, just like McElroy said after the season ended.
    Everything Holmes says just leaves a bad taste n my mouth. The problem is he's not as big of a playmaker as he thinks he is. He's the dump off guy, not the one you design an offense around.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Come on, it's a great spin... you can almost buy it. I'm glad to see my hard earned PSL and ticket money is going to some bright spin doctors.
    Yeah...just one game? Scumbagio dogged it for the entire season. Played the whole year like a petulant toddler.

Banned
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...lmes-in-studio

I don't believe for a second that Santonio Holmes quit on his quarterback and/or team last year, I truthfully believe that Holmes quit on his offensive coordinator. This fan base quit on Schottenheimer many of years ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility; Shotty Jr has to go.

Holmes has an outstanding IQ in regards to the WR position, and often stated that he "felt trapped" inside of Shotty's offensive system. What does trapped mean? It means that Holmes never had the ability to help the team as a WR. It means that Holmes felt trapped in regards to not being able to help his quarterback throughout the course of the game. He never had the ability/freedom to read the opposing defense followed by hot routing his route back to Sanchez, in order to expose defensive coverages. Those types of situations must be frustrating for a WR who wants to not only win, but also help his offense at the same time. I couldn't care less what any critics have to say about Holmes, this man is a winner, he's hungry to win, and he actually made it known (time and time again), that our offensive plays were being designed right into the heart of the opposing defense. Holmes, before exploding (out of offensive frustration) during a week 17 game, continued to make it known, that as a WR? The routes that he was being forced to run, were routes designed to attack the heart/teeth of the defense. Thanks Shotty, but it wasn't working. This man has an amazingly high I.Q in regards to the wide receiver position, and Holmes (as in 90% of our fan base) understood that his offensive coordinator was completely/mentally incompetent in terms of situational play-calling, and after two years of piss poor offensive play calling from his offensive coordinator, he just so happened to let his frustration get the best of him during the final week of the season. Get over it.

Holmes expected better out of both his quarterback and offensive coordinator. He expected better from himself. He just so happened to let his competitive nature get the best of him. Holmes is a super bowl winning MVP, he's a true #1 wide receiver, he want's to win, and just understood that our offense had no chance of improving under Shotty Jr. Maybe that was his way, of letting (showing our franchise with action) that Schottenheimer had to go. I just find it extremely hypocritical when the same fans who called for Shotty's head for years on end, have then became the same fans calling Holmes a "team cancer" due to quitting on the same offensive coordinator that deserved to be quit on. In life, would you agree to work for a dead end company/career? Same goes for Holmes, he wanted nothing to do with a dead end offensive coordinator in Schottenheimer Jr.

Holmes has never been a locker room cancer. Let stop trying to make him out to be just that. He's never called his quarterback "gay". He's no Terrell Owens. Yes, he's had off the field concerns, but he's always been a true teammate. He's been to (contributed/participated in) both JetWest camps being help by Sanchez since arriving. Wake me up when Holmes refuses to participate during OTA's, practices, training camps and preseason meetings. He's no "locker room cancer". He's always been known (Kerley has praised him) to coach up his younger WR's before, during and after practice. He's been considered as being a veteran receivers coach since arriving to New York. He's stuck up for Mark Sanchez every chance he's had during the offseason. He's stated time and time again, that Sanchez is our guy, and as a WR... He believes in Mark Sanchez.

He's a competitive wide receiver who want's to contribute to a winning offensive football team, he became extremely frustrated last season, and pretty much broke down. Get over it already. He cares, which is something that I respect (as a Jet fan). Maybe he should have just "shut his mouth" and agreed to kiss Shotty Jr's ass during week 17 as our season was ending right before our eyes, due to an awful offensive coordinator. Holmes has a spine, and as a man... I respect that.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-17-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

I don't believe for a second that Santonio Holmes quit on his quarterback and/or team last year, I truthfully believe that Holmes quit on his offensive coordinator. This fan base quit on Schottenheimer many of years ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility; Shotty Jr has to go.

Holmes has an outstanding IQ in regards to the WR position, and often stated that he "felt trapped" inside of Shotty's offensive system. What does trapped mean? It means that Holmes never had the ability to help the team as a WR. It means that Holmes felt trapped in regards to not being able to help his quarterback throughout the course of the game. He never had the ability/freedom to read the opposing defense followed by hot routing his route back to Sanchez, in order to expose defensive coverages. Those types of situations must be frustrating for a WR who wants to not only win, but also help his offense at the same time. I couldn't care less what any critics have to say about Holmes, this man is a winner, he's hungry to win, and he actually made it known (time and time again), that our offensive plays were being designed right into the heart of the opposing defense. Holmes, before exploding (out of offensive frustration) during a week 17 game, continued to make it known, that as a WR? The routes that he was being forced to run, were routes designed to attack the heart/teeth of the defense. Thanks Shotty, but it wasn't working. This man has an amazingly high I.Q in regards to the wide receiver position, and Holmes (as in 90% of our fan base) understood that his offensive coordinator was completely/mentally incompetent in terms of situational play-calling, and after two years of piss poor offensive play calling from his offensive coordinator, he just so happened to let his frustration get the best of him during the final week of the season. Get over it.

Holmes expected better out of both his quarterback and offensive coordinator. He expected better from himself. He just so happened to let his competitive nature get the best of him. Holmes is a super bowl winning MVP, he's a true #1 wide receiver, he want's to win, and just understood that our offense had no chance of improving under Shotty Jr. Maybe that was his way, of letting (showing our franchise with action) that Schottenheimer had to go. I just find it extremely hypocritical when the same fans who called for Shotty's head for years on end, have then became the same fans calling Holmes a "team cancer" due to quitting on the same offensive coordinator that deserved to be quit on. In life, would you agree to work for a dead end company/career? Same goes for Holmes, he wanted nothing to do with a dead end offensive coordinator in Schottenheimer Jr.

Holmes has never been a locker room cancer. Let stop trying to make him out to be just that. He's never called his quarterback "gay". He's no Terrell Owens. Yes, he's had off the field concerns, but he's always been a true teammate. He's been to (contributed/participated in) both JetWest camps being help by Sanchez since arriving. Wake me up when Holmes refuses to participate during OTA's, practices, training camps and preseason meetings. He's no "locker room cancer". He's always been known (Kerley has praised him) to coach up his younger WR's before, during and after practice. He's been considered as being a veteran receivers coach since arriving to New York. He's stuck up for Mark Sanchez every chance he's had during the offseason. He's stated time and time again, that Sanchez is our guy, and as a WR... He believes in Mark Sanchez.

He's a competitive wide receiver who want's to contribute to a winning offensive football team, he became extremely frustrated last season, and pretty much broke down. Get over it already. He cares, which is something that I respect (as a Jet fan). Maybe he should have just "shut his mouth" and agreed to kiss Shotty Jr's ass during week 17 as our season was ending right before our eyes, due to an awful offensive coordinator. Holmes has a spine, and as a man... I respect that.

last I checked, Shotty wasn't standing out there on the field trying to get a victory, ergo, Holmes quit on his team mates. Doesn't matter if Shotty was the catalyst for it or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    last I checked, Shotty wasn't standing out there on the field trying to get a victory, ergo, Holmes quit on his team mates. Doesn't matter if Shotty was the catalyst for it or not.
    Holmes never "quit" on his teammates. He exploded out of frustration and was taken out of the game. Stop trying to act as if Holmes "benched himself".

Holmes never "quit" on his teammates. He exploded out of frustration and was taken out of the game. Stop trying to act as if Holmes "benched himself".
    Feeling the need to rewrite history ??

Santonio Holmes, after barking at a teammate in the huddle, was pulled from the game late in the fourth quarter. He sat on the bench with his helmet off, not even paying attention as his team’s season ended.

After the game, one unnamed Jets teammate said Holmes “quit” on the team. And it didn’t start this week.

“He quit,” the player told Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “It’s happened for the past two to three weeks. It’s happened all season.”

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer apparently made the call to take Holmes out.

“I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn’t out there myself,” coach Rex Ryan said. “I didn’t bench Santonio. You’ll have to ask him.”

It looks like Ryan is in self-preservation mode, trying to maintain his relationship with Holmes. Multiple players told Vrentas that Holmes “moped” throughout the game and often ignored Mark Sanchez. One player already told Holmes to get off the field if he wasn’t going to help the team.

“I’ll tell you what, it’s tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner,” LaDainian Tomlinson said. “When you’re a captain, guys are looking at you, you’ve got to lead by example. You’ve got to play your tail off until the last play. And when that don’t happen, you have guys looking at you in a way that captains shouldn’t be looked at.”

Tomlinson said that guys were unhappy with Holmes’ demeanor. That demeanor didn’t improve much after the game.

On the issue of the articles and the vid from NFLN, jesus, is Holmes really that frakking stupid and clueless ??

He just went on TV and publicly said that his Head Coach's (and the team's) plan will not work.

What a freaking idiot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Almost as dumb as your adored Saint Timmy for godsake

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Almost as dumb as your adored Saint Timmy for godsake

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Damn, is your IGNORE list still not working ? Told ya before, you might want to message a mod about that.

Run along now child.

Banned
    He just went on TV and publicly said that his Head Coach's (and the team's) plan will not work.
    No, he didn't. He was asked a simple question, in regards to an offensive being able to work with a two quarterback system, he not only answered, but also explained why...

"You have to allow one quarterback to get into the rhythm of the game. It starts from the preparation in practice, knowing the first couple of plays that he's going to take these reps. It's getting a feel for coming onto the field with the crowd awaiting you. It's the making the mistakes early in the game to finishing the games at the end. You don't just change a guy out just because he has a few mistakes early in a game."

Which is completely true. This man has an outstanding I.Q in regards to the game of football, and also went on to state that Tim Tebow won't be used in terms of a two quarterback system, but instead, will be used as a complete football player.

Holmes believes Tebow's role will be defined and not disrupt the rhythm of Sanchez or the rest of new coordinator Tony Sparano's offense.

"Tebow's going to have plays where he comes in and plays," Holmes said. "Whether he plays at quarterback, Sanchez is on the field or off the field, those are the plays that Coach has designed for Tebow to run that week. I'm pretty sure he's going to get them done and he's going to do his job just as well as any other quarterback would when they get an opportunity to get on the field."

So, what are you talking about ala "he just went on TV and publicly said that his Head Coach's (and the team's) plan will not work" etc, etc. A little reading comprehension problems? He clearly stated that Tebow will be used as an overall football player. He also went on to support his starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez.

"Tebow looked pretty good, he was on target," Holmes said. "Sanchez has done everything that he can do to keep his starting spot. I'm thinking that he's going to be our guy this season. I'm not saying that with any bit of less confidence than the way I feel about him coming into this season. He's going to be our guy that we depended on for the past couple of years, and he's going to get the job done this year."

He addressed that a two quarterback system wouldn't work (it's never worked), he then explained why it could never work and also made it known that Tim Tebow will be used as a complete football player. Did nothing but support his starting quarterback, so what the fk are you talking about?
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-17-2012 at 04:27 AM.

No, he didn't. He was asked a simple question, in regards to an offensive being able to work with a two quarterback system, he not only answered, but also explained why...

"You have to allow one quarterback to get into the rhythm of the game. It starts from the preparation in practice, knowing the first couple of plays that he's going to take these reps. It's getting a feel for coming onto the field with the crowd awaiting you. It's the making the mistakes early in the game to finishing the games at the end. You don't just change a guy out just because he has a few mistakes early in a game."

Which is completely true. This man has an outstanding I.Q in regards to the game of football, and also went on to state that Tim Tebow won't be used in terms of a two quarterback system, but instead, will be used as a complete football player.

Holmes believes Tebow's role will be defined and not disrupt the rhythm of Sanchez or the rest of new coordinator Tony Sparano's offense.

So, what are you talking about ala "he just went on TV and publicly said that his Head Coach's (and the team's) plan will not work" etc, etc. A little reading comprehension problems? He clearly stated that Tebow will be used as an overall football player. He also went on to support his starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez.

He addressed that a two quarterback system wouldn't work (it's never worked) and also made it known that Tim Tebow will be used as a complete football player. Did nothing but SUPPORT his starting quarterback, so what the fk are you talking about?

Dude, go watch the freaking video instead of relying on what was written up in articles based off the interview.

Banned
    Dude, go watch the freaking video instead of relying on what was written up in articles based off the interview.
    I posted the video, smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85
    Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

I posted the video, smart guy.

Doesn't mean that you watched it.

Andrew Sawhateverhisnameis asks about Tebow and Tone says all the right things at that point. Andrew then talks about Rex saying "could be 20 plays, yada, yada, yada, maybe on special teams.. could be 5 plays....." Then he specifically asks: "Can a 2 QB system, even if it's 5 plays, can it work in the NFL" ?

Tone's answer ? "No, I don't think so".

Banned
    When asked about Tim Tebow's up coming role, Holmes responded by saying....

"He's gonna be a football player, he's going to get an opportunity to make plays for this team. It says a lot, because he has the 'quarterback tag', but, in all actuality and respect; Tim Tebow is a football player. The things that he did when he was at the University of Florida, all he did was win ball game whether he was throwing the ball or he was running it; he made plays. Came to the NFL, and all he did was, make a few plays, and help win, very big ball games, when people counted him out. And, I think he's going to be that same guy coming to New York, that's to help fulfill a role of us, winning, more than 8 games than what we did last year".

So, once again, stop trying to act as if Holmes is "throwing his coaching staff under the bus" due to the fact that he feels Tim Tebow will be used as an overall football player when in regards to a "two quarterback system".