Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone Time

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    When asked about Tim Tebow's up coming role, Holmes responded by saying....

"He's gonna be a football player, he's going to get an opportunity to make plays for this team. It says a lot, because he has the 'quarterback tag', but, in all actuality and respect; Tim Tebow is a football player. The things that he did when he was at the University of Florida, all he did was win ball game whether he was throwing the ball or he was running it; he made plays. Came to the NFL, and all he did was, make a few plays, and help win, very big ball games, when people counted him out. And, I think he's going to be that same guy coming to New York, that's to help fulfill a role of us, winning, more than 8 games than what we did last year".

So, once again, stop trying to act as if Holmes is "throwing his coaching staff under the bus" due to the fact that he feels Tim Tebow will be used as an overall football player when in regards to a "two quarterback system".
    See if you can wrap your head around a silly notion real quick, and that is, that Tone gave a lot of good answers in that interview, BUT YET he still screwed one up majorly.

I didn't condemn everything he said. I pointed out that he said the right things about Tebow (even if he doesn't believe what he said, it was the right thing to say). My only issue was his answer to that one question.

Now, I've gone ahead and done a quick and pretty accurate transcript of that question.

RIGHT AFTER Holmes said all that about Tebow, here is what Andrew followed up with.

"You say football player.. Rex, couple of months ago said maybe 20 plays a game, we don't know, I mean it could be 5, it could be 20, it could be special teams, it could be whatever...... Can a two quarterback system, even if it's 5 plays, can that work in the NFL?"

Tebow's understood "role" is inherent in the question.

Again, Tone's answer was "No, it can't work".

Jets Insider VIP
    Tone is correct chicken farmer. A two QB system wont work

Fortunately the Jets have only ONE NFL qb who is capable--Mark Sanchez and ONE fullback/ punt protector who can hopefully run the wildcat.

Next season when you and the rest of your cult are Jagwire fans...you can watch St Timmy as your starting QB as he "leads" them to a 2-14 record and the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft
    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Damn video was taken down.

If anybody finds another link please post it. My guess is the written stories are just spin.

Here is my spin. Tone saying a 2 QB system won't work means he is firmly supporting Sanchez. How bout that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Is this guy ****ing serious? He's a truly a POS, cares more about his own stats than the team's success, just like McElroy said after the season ended.
    Boy did that remind me of someone..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... whatever can help tone convince himself to buy into rex's "all for one and one for all" mantra going into next year works for me ...

l_j_r

This guy should not talk to the media. Just say players play and coaches coach.
    Just say it was in the past and I will be a good teammate.

What I take out of this is that he thinks the appearance of him being a good teammate is enough. But if they really want me to be a good teammate, the more I get the ball the better teammate I will be.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Doesn't mean that you watched it.

Andrew Sawhateverhisnameis asks about Tebow and Tone says all the right things at that point. Andrew then talks about Rex saying "could be 20 plays, yada, yada, yada, maybe on special teams.. could be 5 plays....." Then he specifically asks: "Can a 2 QB system, even if it's 5 plays, can it work in the NFL" ?

Tone's answer ? "No, I don't think so".
    He's basically saying Tebow is not a real Quarterback, which is truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    "You say football player.. Rex, couple of months ago said maybe 20 plays a game, we don't know, I mean it could be 5, it could be 20, it could be special teams, it could be whatever...... Can a two quarterback system, even if it's 5 plays, can that work in the NFL?"

Tebow's understood "role" is inherent in the question.

Again, Tone's answer was "No, it can't work".
    Let's use our brains here. The interviewer essentially did a bait and switch that would look bad in print, but watching the video it's pretty obvious that Holmes is saying:
    A) tebow has a defined role and IT IS NOT a two quarterback system.
    B) Then he says that a two quarterback system, which they do not have, can't work. No conflict there at all.

Thank you for the video. Watching it totally changes what is being implied in print.

Tone didn't quit on the team. He quit on Schotty.

Jets Insider VIP
    what comes most clearly out of watching the video for me is that it's great that washed up Tomlinson is no longer in the locker room shooting off his big trap.

As for Tebow, Tone is right... Sanchez is the Jets QB and is going to have a big year and Tebow will be running his few wildcat fullback plays to help

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Let's use our brains here. The interviewer essentially did a bait and switch that would look bad in print, but watching the video it's pretty obvious that Holmes is saying:
    A) tebow has a defined role and IT IS NOT a two quarterback system.
    B) Then he says that a two quarterback system, which they do not have, can't work. No conflict there at all.

Thank you for the video. Watching it totally changes what is being implied in print.

A) And what exactly is that defined role? I saw the video. Santonio was asked Tebow's role and he replied, "football player." When asked to clarify what that meant, he went into a bumbling string of generic phrases about Tebow "not only throwing, but running, and winning football games." It's pretty clear that Holmes has no idea what Tebow's role on the field is going to be, and I'm not sure the coaching staff does right now either. But Holmes definitely doesn't want that role to involve throwing him the ball instead of Sanchez.

B) I took the "two QB system" to mean Tebow coming in for the occasional wildcat or option play. Whatever you want to call it, it involves Tebow under center with the option to throw. That WILL happen, Rex has said it himself. And it sounds like Holmes doesn't like the idea at all. You can spin it at as defending Sanchez, but given the ambiguity of Tebow's role at the moment, I don't think Holmes should have come out and essentially said, "we DEFINITELY shouldn't do this or that."

Jets Insider VIP
    C) How will Hoyer and/or Ryan "Leaf" Mallett do replacing Tammi Brady early in the season after Coples, Davis, Mayhem and Wilkerson all meet in the pocket and break him in half?

Hall Of Fame
    Finally watched the interview. I got the impression that Holmes is bothered by how he is perceived now. He is insulted. Hopefully he uses that as motivation and has a big year. We need him to have a big year. The offense needs him.

Tone ripping the New England defense was pretty, well, stupid.

First off, they swept us last season. Secondly, if it wasn't for a garbage TD, we're kept under 14 points in both games against them.

Ay yi yi.

As for the two QB system, whatever. He shouldn't have said what he said, but that's what going to happen so he might as well get on board.

All Pro
    I've watched the interview and subsequent segment a few times now. Bottom line, Holmes is a moron not to mention outright AWFUL on camera. He does not speak intelligently nor does it appear he can think on his feet when being asked questions by an interviewer who is trying to goad him into saying something controversial. To add insult to injury, he basically insulted the rest of the division who I'm sure will use his comments for motivation.

Just keep the guy off TV please.
    Last edited by RageATL; 07-17-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    B) I took the "two QB system" to mean Tebow coming in for the occasional wildcat or option play. Whatever you want to call it, it involves Tebow under center with the option to throw. That WILL happen, Rex has said it himself. And it sounds like Holmes doesn't like the idea at all. You can spin it at as defending Sanchez, but given the ambiguity of Tebow's role at the moment, I don't think Holmes should have come out and essentially said, "we DEFINITELY shouldn't do this or that."
    Ok, agree to disagree. It's pretty clear to me that "two QB system" means Sanchez isn't doing well and tebow comes in to relieve him. That is what holmes is saying they don't have and wouldn't work.

Here we go again!

Though I came away from the interview reaffirmed that Holmes is a moron, who the hell cares! We already knew that when we traded for him.

WE DO NOT HAVE A TWO QB SYSTEM! He's correct!
    We have a starter in Sanchez & a wildcat who's even more versatile & more powerful & can throw better than Brad Smith!

Holmes is here to catch footballs, not to solve world hunger, so lets get him the effing ball & let him do what he does best!

Man, you can read whatever you want into some of the answers given by players, everybody needs to stop listening to pro athlete interviews & act like they will be a able to crack the Davinci code.

All Pro
    Are the glasses he is wearing prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Finally watched the interview. I got the impression that Holmes is bothered by how he is perceived now. He is insulted. Hopefully he uses that as motivation and has a big year. We need him to have a big year. The offense needs him.
    One of the few posts with substance in this thread. If there's a takeaway from the article, let's hope this is it.

Banned
    You couldn't be more wrong.

Everyone knows how we'll use Tim Tebow. It's common sense. He'll become the Center Piece of a Tony Sparano led Wildcat (Gator) formation. He'll be used the same way as Brad Smith was used, but the difference? He's built like a mack-truck and ideal for short yardage situations due to his body frame/build. He'll keep the chains moving without question, especially with an offensive line that's led by an All-World Center in Nick Mangold. The difference between Tebow and Brad Smith? There's a real threat for Tebow to pass, especially when in comparison to Brad Smith who only had 7 NFL pass attempts. Tim Tebow coming into the game, will force opposing defenses to be honest. The threat of the pass. In 09 Brad Smith put up 18 rushes for 207 yards and 1 TD. In 2010 Brad Smith put up 38 rushes for 299 yards and 1 TD. Only two TD's, but that's an average of 9.0 yards per carry. The potential of our offensive Wildcat system now goes through the roof. A.) Sparano is a major upgrade over Shotty Jr in regards to running a Wildcat formation and B.) Tim Tebow is a big time upgrade over Brad Smith when in regards to rushing the football. Tebow has rushed for 887 yards (average of 5.4 yards per carry) along with 47 first down rushes to go along with another 12 rushing TD's over the past year and a half (23 games). A Sparano led Wildcat with Tebow as the Center-Piece rushing behind a Jets offensive line being led by Nick Mangold is going to become something very difficult for opposing defenses to prepare for, stop, let alone contain come Sunday's.

Santinio Holmes is 100% correct, we're on the verge of using Tim Tebow as a football player. Anyone with any knowledge of this situation would understand this. Also, he'll be used more than just under center in regards to a wildcat formation.... He'll be used as a decoy when running the Wildcat formation, with hand-off's to the likes of Shonn Greene (think Ricky Williams) and/or screen passes to explosive young talents such as Joe McKnight. He'll be lined up in the backfield behind Sanchez (as a HB/FB) from time to time as well. Imagine Tebow at FB and Greene at HB on 3rd and/or 4th and short types of situations... Which back is getting the ball in obvious run situations? Will Sanchez instead catch the defense off-balance with a quick QB sneak? We may even see Tebow line up at TE in order to confuse defense and/or at least keep them aware/off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    A) And what exactly is that defined role? I saw the video. Santonio was asked Tebow's role and he replied, "football player." When asked to clarify what that meant, he went into a bumbling string of generic phrases about Tebow "not only throwing, but running, and winning football games." It's pretty clear that Holmes has no idea what Tebow's role on the field is going to be, and I'm not sure the coaching staff does right now either. But Holmes definitely doesn't want that role to involve throwing him the ball instead of Sanchez.

Wrong. All Santonio Holmes has sated, is that Tim Tebow is going to be used as a football player, and not as a "two quarterback system".

"He's gonna be a football player, he's going to get an opportunity to make plays for this team. It says a lot, because he has the 'quarterback tag', but, in all actuality and respect; Tim Tebow is a football player. The things that he did when he was at the University of Florida, all he did was win ball game whether he was throwing the ball or he was running it; he made plays. Came to the NFL, and all he did was, make a few plays, and help win, very big ball games; when people counted him out. And, I think he's going to be that same guy coming to New York, that's to help fulfill a role of us, winning, more than 8 games than what we did last year. Tebow's going to have plays where he comes in and plays. Whether he plays at quarterback, Sanchez is on the field or off the field, those are the plays that Coach has designed for Tebow to run that week. I'm pretty sure he's going to get them done and he's going to do his job just as well as any other quarterback would when they get an opportunity to get on the field."

Sounds like a player who's ready for Tim Tebow to help impact this offense to the next level.