Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great reviews flooding in for The Dark Knight Rises

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Great reviews flooding in for The Dark Knight Rises

Sounds like this is the real deal! The bar has been set insanely high for this sequel and a few people even seem to be saying The Dark Knight Rises jumps over that bar. I'm pretty psyched to see this movie.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/showbi...ews/index.html

Early reviews praise 'Dark Knight Rises'

(CNN) -- To call "The Dark Knight Rises" "highly anticipated" at this point would be an understatement.

The fervor for Christopher Nolan's third Batman film has been so intense, tickets were selling out in select theaters back in January, months ahead of its July 20 U.S. opening.

With this being the third and final film in an acclaimed trilogy, each casting announcement and trailer clip has been thoroughly analyzed and discussed. And now, thanks to early reviews that have circulated on Monday, the fascination with "The Dark Knight Rises" has reached a new level.

"Big-time Hollywood filmmaking at its most massively accomplished, this last installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy makes everything in the rival Marvel universe look thoroughly silly and childish," says The Hollywood Reporter's Todd McCarthy.

"Entirely enveloping and at times unnerving in a relevant way one would never have imagined, as a cohesive whole this ranks as the best of Nolan's trio, even if it lacks ... an element as unique as Heath Ledger's immortal turn in 'The Dark Knight.' "

A review from Todd Gilchrist at IndieWire's The Playlist says even more effortless than Nolan's filmmaking is the way the movie "fits into the summer's conversation about The Big Important Issues that are preoccupying us, even when we're walking into darkened theaters and asking only to be entertained."

Set eight years after the events of 2008's "The Dark Knight," the latest installment finds Bruce Wayne/Batman (played to applause by Christian Bale) in seclusion. Gotham City now blames the caped crusader for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent. There's even been a drop in crime in Gotham City -- that is, until Tom Hardy's masked sociopath Bane rips into Gotham, leaving terror and death in his wake.

With aid from Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle, who initially lures Bruce Wayne out of hiding with a burglary, Batman tracks down Bane only to find that it is going to take some doing to vanquish this villain.

Gilchrist calls the film "A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph," adding that the story "is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself -- as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope."

Variety's Justin Chang notes that, "All in all, the picture impressively conveys a seething vision of urban anxiety that speaks to such issues as the greed and complacency of the one percent, the criminal neglect of the poor and oppressed, and above all the unsettling sense that no one and nothing is safe."

HitFix's review from Drew McWeeny found that "The Dark Knight Rises" "more than fulfills the promise made by the first two films."

"We may never see superhero films quite like these again, and that's fine," the review continues. "Whoever Warner Bros hires to reboot the 'Batman' films a few years from now, I wish you luck. The bar is as high as it could possibly be."

Agrees Time magazine's Richard Corliss, "The most eagerly anticipated movie of summer 2012 was worth waiting for. ... The movie may not top 'The Avengers' at the worldwide box office, but it is a far, far better thing -- maybe the best, most troubling, assured and enthralling of all the superhero movies."
    #RageATL

Last edited by jetstream23; 07-16-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really excited to see this. So pissed I have to wait until the weekend

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im going but there gonna have a hard time beating heath ledger as the joker.

The guy was brilliant as the bad guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched the first two in previous nights to get ready for this one. They are still great, but probably will wait for the theaters to calm down.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Christopher Nolan knows how to make a damn good movie.

Memento, Inception, The Prestige, the new Batman trilogy...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So excited for this. Checking out the midnight premiere with a buddy of mine in Clifton, then home to sleep and probably seeing it a second time Friday afternoon with another friend. RISE.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    some mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Bet it doesn't out do The Dark Knight...impossible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/criticreviews

and IMDB too. Still amped to see it but gonna be tough to outdo Ledger in TDK.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heading out of town Thursday night, so I'm gonna have to wait until Sunday. Regardless of the reviews I'm sure I'll love it but I agree, it's gonna be tough to beat Ledger's Joker...that performance was just ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read that, with the expansion of the nomination list, this could get Oscar mention for Best Picture, something superhero movies never get.

Not that it matters.

Very excited for this flick.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's that old saying teh chicks have... "Once the Dark Knight rises, you'll never go back"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the negative reviews seem to imply it's overlong/bloated or simply doesn't live up to extremely high expectations.

Neither of those things bother me at all. I can't wait.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Most of the negative reviews seem to imply it's overlong/bloated or simply doesn't live up to extremely high expectations.

Neither of those things bother me at all. I can't wait.
    Its 164 minutes. I like a long movie. A good story cannot be rushed. I'll catch this next week.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Its 164 minutes. I like a long movie. A good story cannot be rushed. I'll catch this next week.
    2 hours and 44 mins is a long ****ing movie, I don't care what it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    2 hours and 44 mins is a long ****ing movie, I don't care what it is.

why do you hate fun?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    +1

Plot driven movies need time for character development, building up the climax, and unwinding the story at the end.

The ones that linger and last in memories and hold a place on a 'favorite movies' list all share these characteristics.

The dark knight (part two) was also approximately 3 hours long...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    +1

Plot driven movies need time for character development, building up the climax, and unwinding the story at the end.

The ones that linger and last in memories and hold a place on a 'favorite movies' list all share these characteristics.

The dark knight (part two) was also approximately 3 hours long...
    agree

One of my fav movies is Heat.3 hours long held my interest the entire time.If the movie is great time doesn't matter

As far as the critics go I even saw one that they didn't like it because it was too dark..right up my alley

I really don't go by what critics say.They love movies like Milk and British period pieces

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and then, there's this:

Rush Limbaugh Has An Awesome And Insane Conspiracy Theory About The Batman Villain 'Bane' And Bain Capital

Brett LoGiurato | Jul. 17, 2012, 3:04 PM | 5,566 | 29

To Rush Limbaugh, it can't be a coincidence. The villain in the new Batman film, "The Dark Knight Rises," is named "Bane." The name of Mitt Romney's old private-equity firm? Bain Capital.

"Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire breathing four eyed whatever it is villain in this movie is named Bain [sic]?" Limbaugh asked on his radio show today, according to a transcript of the audio on his show's website.

But the character Bane first appeared in Batman comics in 1993. The Bane character in "The Dark Knight Rises" was chosen in early 2011.

Limbaugh continued, questioning whether or not the villain would influence voters at all.

"This movie, the audience is gonna be huge. A lot of people are gonna see the movie, and it's a lot of brain-dead people, entertainment, the pop culture crowd, and they're gonna hear Bane in the movie and they're gonna associate Bain. The thought is that when they start paying attention to the campaign later in the year, and Obama and the Democrats keep talking about Bain, Romney and Bain, that these people will think back to the Batman movie, 'Oh, yeah, I know who that is.' (laughing) There are some people who think it'll work. Others think you're really underestimating the American people to think that will work."

Conservatives have been questioning "how long it will take" the Obama campaign to use the homonyms to attack Romney

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/rush-...#ixzz20usmpnsw

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    and then, there's this:
    This guy is such a waste of life

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    got my tickets 12:06 showing