Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great reviews flooding in for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Holy **** I did not think Nolan could top tdk but he did! This movie left me speechless tied everything together....as soon as it was over all of us that went wanted to see it again
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Agreed. Checked out the 8:15 early morning showing today, and couldn't believe that anyone would have anything negative to say.

I'm no batman fan...in fact, I'm not a fan of comics or their movies in general, but Chris Nolan and Christian Bale just finished a masterpiece trilogy.

After TDK, I didn't think any movie would top that brilliant combination of degrees of depth in the plot lines, memorable script and dialogue, standout performances by the actors, and phenomenal action sequences.

I was wrong. The Dark Knight Rises topped it.
    despite the madness, that's very encouraging news.

i can't wait to see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Going to get tix now for the 7 o'clock show. My 17 year old sopne saw it last night, said it was outstanding. The whole family is going tonite, and he said he's definitley up for seeing it again.

So bummed about that shooting

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you to the mod who.....ya know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Going to get tix now for the 7 o'clock show. My 17 year old sopne saw it last night, said it was outstanding. The whole family is going tonite, and he said he's definitley up for seeing it again.

So bummed about that shooting

_
    Glad he enjoyed it. Maybe you can give us a short review tomorrow.

I am a huge Nolan fan. Huge. Haven't seen this yet... will wait a week or so until crowds die down.

Next year Nolan's Man of Steel will be released. Can't wait for that either, although some of the casting is odd:

Henry Cavill as Superman/Kent (a british Superman to match Bale's british Batman?)
    Russell Crowe as Jor-El (really? Why?)
    Amy Adams as Lois Lane (will wait and see)
    Laurence Fishburne as Perry White (might work)
    Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Clark Kent's adoptive parents (I adore Diane Lane and always will .. yum... but Kevin Costner makes me want to vomit in anything he does... most overrated actor of eternity)

If this comes anywhere close to the Dark Night series, then it will be special.

p.s. Michael Shannon as General Zod should be awesome. (He plays FBI agent Nelson Van Alden on Boardwalk Empire in one of the more compelling roles on that somewhat overrated HBO series)
    Last edited by Dcat; 07-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.

OP is going to feel like an Evil Nostradamus if we get the predicted rain this weekend, and it causes flooding and deaths.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Glad he enjoyed it. Maybe you can give us a short review tomorrow.

Heading out now. I'll let you know.

Hey! I think I see what you did there.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I am a huge Nolan fan. Huge. Haven't seen this yet... will wait a week or so until crowds die down.

Next year Nolan's Man of Steel will be released. Can't wait for that either, although some of the casting is odd:

Henry Cavill as Superman/Kent (a british Superman to match Bale's british Batman?)
    Russell Crowe as Jor-El (really? Why?)
    Amy Adams as Lois Lane (will wait and see)
    Laurence Fishburne as Perry White (might work)
    Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Clark Kent's adoptive parents (I adore Diane Lane and always will .. yum... but Kevin Costner makes me want to vomit in anything he does... most overrated actor of eternity)

If this comes anywhere close to the Dark Night series, then it will be special.

p.s. Michael Shannon as General Zod should be awesome. (He plays FBI agent Nelson Van Alden on Boardwalk Empire in one of the more compelling roles on that somewhat overrated HBO series)
    I too am a huge Nolan fan (I don't believe I've come across someone who isn't to be honest though), but a word of precaution:

Man of Steel is not directed by, co-written by, nor casted by Chris Nolan. He is simply a producer.

Obviously for Nolan to put his money and reputation on the line, it's got to be good...but I'm not expecting anything that comes close to the Batman trilogy.

I too am a huge Nolan fan (I don't believe I've come across someone who isn't to be honest though), but a word of precaution:

Man of Steel is not directed by, co-written by, nor casted by Chris Nolan. He is simply a producer.

Obviously for Nolan to put his money and reputation on the line, it's got to be good...but I'm not expecting anything that comes close to the Batman trilogy.
    I realize that, but Nolan and David Goyer developed the story, although the screenplay is attributed to Goyer, so I agree, it should be very good:

Directed by Zack Snyder
    Produced by Christopher Nolan, Emma Thomas, Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder
    Screenplay by David S. Goyer
    Story by Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer

Snyder directed Watchmen, 300, and Sucker Punch, all of which I liked (although nowhere near to the level of Dark Knight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I realize that, but Nolan and David Goyer developed the story, although the screenplay is attributed to Goyer, so I agree, it should be very good:

Directed by Zack Snyder
    Produced by Christopher Nolan, Emma Thomas, Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder
    Screenplay by David S. Goyer
    Story by Christopher Nolan, David S. Goyer

Snyder directed Watchmen, 300, and Sucker Punch, all of which I liked (although nowhere near to the level of Dark Knight.
    Zach Snyder blows

Hall Of Fame
    Ok, saw it last nite. NO SPOILERS!

Great effort, worthy of the franchise and a fitting end to it.

IMHO, not as good as The Dark Knight. TDK was an all-time great, again, IMHO.

And Bane--while very good--can't touch Ledger's Joker.

The length of it was fine--and necessary to develop the characters and the storyline--but I found at one or two points it dragged--but only for a few minutes. Otherwise, top notch story interspersed with great action interspersed with top notch story and action.

Very cool new toy, and they brought the Bat-Cycle back which is just teh awesomest.

Massive cast, a lot of old returnee's and all the regulars and Joseph Gordon Levitt was very good.

And I gotta be honest, am not a fan of Anne Hathaway.

But she stole the movie.

She looked incredibly hot, acted bad ass, really really surprised me.

A definite recommendation if you're a fan of Superhero movies and/or Batman. The difference is, if you're not a fan of Superhero movies and/or Batman, I'd still suggest you see TDK.

Great movie, not The Dark Knight.

_

The length of it was fine--and necessary to develop the characters and the storyline--but I found at one or two points it dragged--but only for a few minutes. Otherwise, top notch story interspersed with great action interspersed with top notch story and action.

Very cool new toy, and they brought the Bat-Cycle back which is just teh awesomest.

Massive cast, a lot of old returnee's and all the regulars and Joseph Gordon Levitt was very good.

But she stole the movie.

A definite recommendation if you're a fan of Superhero movies and/or Batman. The difference is, if you're not a fan of Superhero movies and/or Batman, I'd still suggest you see TDK.

_
    Very fair response, so not going to take anything away.

For the sake of discussion though, do you think it wasn't as good as TDK because Heath was missing?

Honestly, I thought the plot, the character development, and the emotional texture of this film surpassed TDK. Also, there were some great performances outside the regulars..I LOVED Caine in this, and I agree with everything you said about Hathaway. Hardy, poor guy, if he weren't following in Heath's iconic footsteps, would be revered for his performance as Bane. He was every bit as dark and unforgiving as one could possibly imagine.

I still believe as a whole, TDK Rises is the best of the three, but, in every frame, Heath's Joker was missing...and it felt hollow without him, which is why I can understand your post; although I don't agree with it.

But she stole the movie.

_
    Stokes saw it last night and I every thing you said above I agree with

I don't think it was as good as TDK but it was outstanding! I hated the casting of Anne Hathaway but she did a great job

I think you have to put Nolan's Batman trilogy up there with the best trilogies of all time

_
    I won't be seeing TDKR until next weekend, but I've seen that as the main criticism in different reviews I've read, that the middle portion of the movie drags on a little.

my question: is the "dragging on" any different than in Batman Begins or TDK? Both are among my favorite movies EVER (I actually prefer BB to TDK but that's for another discussion) but I'll be the first to recognize that they get a bit "slow" in certain parts.

and I'm totally fine with that because these films are supposed to be more than just run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster superhero movies, they're supposed to have more depth of character and drama, so you need to take your foot off the gas at some point to better set things up. so, in your opinion, is it consistent with the type of slow down we saw in the first two movies, or is noticeably worse/different for TDKR?

Hall Of Fame
    Very fair response, so not going to take anything away.

For the sake of discussion though, do you think it wasn't as good as TDK because Heath was missing?

Honestly, I thought the plot, the character development, and the emotional texture of this film surpassed TDK. Also, there were some great performances outside the regulars..I LOVED Caine in this, and I agree with everything you said about Hathaway. Hardy, poor guy, if he weren't following in Heath's iconic footsteps, would be revered for his performance as Bane. He was every bit as dark and unforgiving as one could possibly imagine.

I still believe as a whole, TDK Rises is the best of the three, but, in every frame, Heath's Joker was missing...and it felt hollow without him, which is why I can understand your post; although I don't agree with it.
    No, not just Ledger, I think as a whole, I liked the totality of TDK a lot more than DNR.

I saw TDK 3 or 4 times in the movies and own it on DVD and have watched it a few times since.

I liked DKR a lot, but I won't go see it multiple times in the theater and probably won't buy it on DVD, although I'll watch it again in about a year.

Joker, Two Face, the mobsters, Batman and Bruce Wayne--everything IMHO was better than DKR. Except for Maggie Gyllenhal--woof.

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 07-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I won't be seeing TDKR until next weekend, but I've seen that as the main criticism in different reviews I've read, that the middle portion of the movie drags on a little.

my question: is the "dragging on" any different than in Batman Begins or TDK? Both are among my favorite movies EVER (I actually prefer BB to TDK but that's for another discussion) but I'll be the first to recognize that they get a bit "slow" in certain parts.

and I'm totally fine with that because these films are supposed to be more than just run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster superhero movies, they're supposed to have more depth of character and drama, so you need to take your foot off the gas at some point to better set things up. so, in your opinion, is it consistent with the type of slow down we saw in the first two movies, or is noticeably worse/different for TDKR?

I just thought this dragged in the middle a few times--wasn't just me, we went with 8 people last night--my GF, my kids ages 17-24, another kid about 20 and all of us agreed that a few times it bogged down a bit. Literally my wife and my 24 year old daughter both asked me within minutes of each other what time it was--and it was an hour and a half into the movie and they were both a bit surprised that there was an hour left in the film.

I don't ever remember looking at my watch once during TDK, not in all the times I've seen it. I felt that one was almost non-stop.

DKR, however, was much better--IMHO--than Batman Begins.

Don't get me wrong, when I say it dragged, it was only a few times and it was momentary.

But in my opinion, The Dark Knight was an all-time great movie (for the genre). Dark Night Rises was very good, but not all-time great.

_

I just thought this dragged in the middle a few times--wasn't just me, we went with 8 people last night--my GF, my kids ages 17-24, another kid about 20 and all of us agreed that a few times it bogged down a bit. Literally my wife and my 24 year old daughter both asked me within minutes of each other what time it was--and it was an hour and a half into the movie and they were both a bit surprised that there was an hour left in the film.

I don't ever remember looking at my watch once during TDK, not in all the times I've seen it. I felt that one was almost non-stop.

Don't get me wrong, when I say it dragged, it was only a few times and it was momentary.

But in my opinion, The Dark Knight was an all-time great movie (for the genre). Dark Night Rises was very good, but not all-time great.

_
    Any news you'd like to share? Was it a honeymoon showing?

_
    cool, if you say it's better than Batman Begins then I'll be VERY happy

PS -- realize you referred to your GF as your wife? lol, you're screwed little man

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Any news you'd like to share? Was it a honeymoon showing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    cool, if you say it's better than Batman Begins then I'll be VERY happy

PS -- realize you referred to your GF as your wife? lol, you're screwed little man
    WOW

GF!!!

_

Jets Insider VIP
    WOW

GF!!!

_
    Could a Stokes wedding be imminent?