Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do Jet fans see Joe Mcknight replacing L tomlinson

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't know if McKnight will ever be as good on 3rd down as Tomlinson was here.

But I think McKnight will be a big contributor this season. I won't be surprised to see him pick up close to 1000 yards rushing/receiving combined.

Greene is sure to be nicked up at least a couple times and Joe is probably the 1st guy off the bench.

I can't wait to see how the RB situation works this year. I have a good feeling about this crew.
    I am excited for him as well and that production would mean a very successful season. So I hope you're right.

Hopefully they won't be in as many passing situations this year on third down as opposed to last, especially with the way things were being run with Schotty. I would hope to see more screens with McKnight help him along.

As for the offense, I don't expect them to come out and light things up. My expectations for them is a lot of ups and downs the first 4 or 5 weeks and hopefully hit a nice stride after that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Your homerism knows no bounds.
    Nothing homerish about his post man. The only thing we'll miss in regards to Tomlinson are his leadership abilities and pass protection, but as a pure backup running back? L.T was on the verge of near retirement as a shell of what he once was.

Lots of nay-saying critics considered McKnight a bust after only his rookie season, I've actually been a big fan of McKnight since being drafted out of USC, with threads created showing my support/belief in McKnight. (USC's coaching staff considered him a Reggie Bush type of athlete) and I never once quit on Joe McKnight, all because he was "out of shape" and/or threw up as a rookie during training camp.

After lots of negative fans considered McKnight a "bust" after only his rookie season, what did McKnight accomplish during his 2nd season? He became the best special teams player on a Mike Westhoff coached special teams. McKnight, as only a 2nd year player, ended up leading the league in average yards per kick return and I believe, also set a Jets all-time franchise record in that regard.

As of right now? We have the same fans who considered McKnight a "bust" after only his rookie season, as being the same fans stating that McKnight has "no chance" of breaking out as a 3rd year player in regards to the offensive side of the ball. I completely disagree. McKnight emerged as a special teams threat during only his 2nd season, and I truthfully believe that he'll become an impact player for our offense during year number 3. Why? Because this kid is fast, very quick, extremely explosive once he breaks off into the open field and overall? Has the potential/ability to become an impact offensive player behind our offensive line. I also believe we'll see McKnight lined up with Tebow during wildcat formations and/or featuring McKnight on lots of screens in order to get his offensive ability into the open field.

I love Shonn Greene as a powerful back, but I believe we'll see McKnight become our feature back sooner, rather than later. This kid is full of talent, and in my eyes, it's only a matter of time before our coaching staff tap's into his offensive potential. Year #2 he emerged onto the scene as a special teams weapon. Year #3 is when he becomes a Jets fan favorite. Think Leon Washington, but much stronger.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-17-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope McKnight does break out this year but I can't get Westy's press conference out of my head where everyone was gushing over McKnight's special teams play.

Westoff just looked at the reporters an said: "yeah, but the kid has yet to break a single tackle."

Hopefully that's a skill they'll focus on in camp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not comfortable with any of our backs picking up the blitz. No way I can predict who it will be. If anyone shows than can consistently pick out the right man to block he'll make the team, and play third downs. LT couldn't run at one point, and we kept sending him out there. I don't even care if they can block as much as pick out the right guy and get in his way. Greene, and McKnight have looked horrible at this in the past, so if there's a dark horse, then my guess is this is where he will come from.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I hope McKnight does break out this year but I can't get Westy's press conference out of my head where everyone was gushing over McKnight's special teams play.

Westoff just looked at the reporters an said: "yeah, but the kid has yet to break a single tackle."

Hopefully that's a skill they'll focus on in camp.
    It's kind of hard to break tackles when your running past all defenders, but at the same time, I get what you're saying/understand the overall point that you're making. But all reports have it, that McKnight is gaining muscle/weight in order to become stronger/more physical, but at the same time, maintaining his overall speed and quickness. Coach Sparano stated that McKnight looks very sharp in regards to running in-between the tackles thus far though the offseason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Nothing homerish about his post man. The only thing we'll miss in regards to Tomlinson are his leadership abilities and pass protection, but as a pure backup running back? L.T was on the verge of near retirement as a shell of what he once was.

Lots of nay-saying critics considered McKnight a bust after only his rookie season, I've actually been a big fan of McKnight since being drafted out of USC, with threads created showing my support/belief in McKnight. (USC's coaching staff considered him a Reggie Bush type of athlete) and I never once quit on Joe McKnight, all because he was "out of shape" and/or threw up as a rookie during training camp.

After lots of negative fans considered McKnight a "bust" after only his rookie season, what did McKnight accomplish during his 2nd season? He became the best special teams player on a Mike Westhoff coached special teams. McKnight, as only a 2nd year player, ended up leading the league in average yards per kick return and I believe, also set a Jets all-time franchise record in that regard.

As of right now? We have the same fans who considered McKnight a "bust" after only his rookie season, as being the same fans stating that McKnight has "no chance" of breaking out as a 3rd year player in regards to the offensive side of the ball. I completely disagree. McKnight emerged as a special teams threat during only his 2nd season, and I truthfully believe that he'll become an impact player for our offense during year number 3. Why? Because this kid is fast, very quick, extremely explosive once he breaks off into the open field and overall? Has the potential/ability to become an impact offensive player behind our offensive line. I also believe we'll see McKnight lined up with Tebow during wildcat formations and/or featuring McKnight on lots of screens in order to get his offensive ability into the open field.

I love Shonn Greene as a powerful back, but I believe we'll see McKnight become our feature back sooner, rather than later. This kid is full of talent, and in my eyes, it's only a matter of time before our coaching staff tap's into his offensive potential. Year #2 he emerged onto the scene as a special teams weapon. Year #3 is when he becomes a Jets fan favorite. Think Leon Washington, but much stronger.
    It's very homerish.

Joe McKnight will be a better 3rd down back than LT?

What is this based on exactly?

So far, McKnight has proven to be nothing more than an explosive kick returner with a knack for putting the ball on the ground.

He has all but 16 receptions in his career and less than 325 rushing yards with a 3.9 yard average. The kid has been a big underachiever ever since his USC days.

Even at the end of his career, LT still possessed some of the best hands out of the backfield and could hold his own in pass protection. We have no idea what we have in McKnight.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McKnight can hold on to the football, we may have a lil something, but it starts up front like everything else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Only if it's a two-back set flanking Sanchez in the gun. You want the RB back there to at least pose some sort of threat to release and beat you in the flat, and Conner doesn't bring that to the table.

You're right, a lot of people aren't recognizing this. Short of a big leap from McKnight or a surprise out of the gate from Ganaway, I think Jets fans are in for a disappointment from the backfield this year. Greene will get yards, but has not shown himself to be a guy you have to stack the box to stop.

If the RBs aren't effective, it will take away from what we think will be a strength of the Sanchez/Sparano offense - play action.
    I'm thinking maybe Josh Baker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

Brad Smith and Leon Washington say hello.

McKnight and Justin Miller are neck and neck fro third best returner. It is the return scheme and not the return man. That is why Westhoff is able to plug in a returner du jour and still have success.

As a RB he has been a big fat dud for two years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm thinking maybe Josh Baker.
    That could be, at least for 3rd and long. I'll bet Tebow could do it...would he?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    If you don't see Joe Mcknight being able to fill that role. Than which Rb on the Jets roster you expect to fill that role.

Joe Mcknight seems like he should be able to do it and I guess will be giving every chance to prove he can do it. The Jets need Joe Mcknight to be a big part of the Jet offense this year. He can't come in not ready to go from the first day. There is No LT to fall back on.
    Sadly, I don't see anyone on the Jets roster at RB that will will fill that role. Frankly, I think the failure to bolster the RB position was another blunder by Tanny.

1) S. Greene - strikes me as a below-average to average starter in the NFL. Not horrible, but nothing to get excited about. Not fast enough to be a threat. Not big enough to scare people. BUT, if he gets hurt, no hope.

2) McKnight - at best, he is a third down RB. If he was a player, he would have taken the job from LT.

3) Gannaway - interesting, but he is a 6th round pick.

4) Powell - not enough information.

Good teams stockpile RB's with fresh legs in the 2-4 rounds. Eventually, you hit on one and get a good RB on the cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight averaged 10.7 ypc last year as did LT. LTs #s where way down last year so we are not talking hard #s here. You think a guy who is younger, faster, and has good hands can't put up 450 yards receiving and 280 yards rushing? I think Joe has a lot more explosiveness then JETS fans realize. Joe has all the ability to be a big play back of his own right. I think the question is does he have the will to be more then just a back up. With McKnight you will see more consistent play. The only thing that may be missed is LT was a much better blocker. I have think if Joe can stay healthy he puts up good #2 RB numbers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think McKnight is going to do very much as a 3rd down back because I have a feeling he's going to be our #1 back before long, and not necessarily in a good way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Brad Smith and Leon Washington say hello.

McKnight and Justin Miller are neck and neck fro third best returner. It is the return scheme and not the return man. That is why Westhoff is able to plug in a returner du jour and still have success.

As a RB he has been a big fat dud for two years.
    So does Chad Morton, who turned his time under Westhoff into a fat contract only to promptly do nothing for the rest of his career...because he no longer played for Westhoff.

Regardless, it's a ridiculous argument to say that a guy who ran through two gaping holes on kick returns for TDs will automatically translate into a solid back. I can admit that the book hasn't been written yet, but every argument of him becoming an "impact" player in the base offense can be countered with a reason why he won't be, since there's equal evidence of both.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    production as the third down back. Joe Mcknight looks like he capable of filling that job but he only has 16 career receptions in two years. How is his pass blocking(your the third down back) that one of important requirements for that job. They can't put you out there you can't protect the Qb.

This is a big year for Joe Mcknight as he has to become the change of pace back and the receiving threat L Tomlinson was .
    Good thread. You're probably the best outsider poster on the site because while I don't always see eye to eye with you, you come here with the intention of spurring football talk. Just figured I'd say that.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what McKnight is capable of this year. In terms of route running and receiving skills, I think he can be as good as LT was last year.

My biggest concern, however, not only with him but with the whole backfield is: Who the hell can pass block here? Greene and McKnight are underwhelming at best in this category. Unlike natural running skills, which you either have or you don't have right off the bat in the NFL, pass protection and ball security are things a running back can learn and develop. It will be critical to see if either of those two guys have improved, especially McKnight. I don't care what weapons you have...if you have a swinging gate at RT and backs that cannot block, you're gonna get destroyed in the passing game.

If McKnight can earn the coaches' trust to block, I can see him getting about 40 catches this year. I'd guess he'd run the ball about 5-6 times a game too. I could see something like 650-700 total yards this season with 2 or 3 TDs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll be find as a situational third down back. He won't be in on all third downs. Expect Ganaway to see some third down playing time, especially if Tebow is in the game (spread/option offense was ran at Baylor on the regular).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Good thread. You're probably the best outsider poster on the site because while I don't always see eye to eye with you, you come here with the intention of spurring football talk. Just figured I'd say that.
    I completely agree 100%, he's one of the best posters of an opposing team here on JetsInsider. At least with Raiders, not only does he actually talk Jets football, but he talks football in general which of course... Involves his own Raiders team. He's what you consider a true fan of the game, who enjoys speaking football with other fan base. Long story short, he's the complete opposite when compared to Patriot trolls, not fans; but trolls. He doesn't slam our team, players and fan base with each and every post. And, he actually talks about his team, which is something you'll never see Patriot trolls doing, unless their circle jerking their head coach, Welker or Brady. I respect Raiders as the fan he is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    pass blocking is critical for a 3rd down back. i'm sure i'm not saying anything new. as for mcknight not getting playing time let's hope it was schitty being schitty as opposed to mcknight not being very good at is job.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    I would love for either McKnight or Tebow to learn how to pass block on third down, as of now Mcknight has not shown much in pass blocking, he hasn't had a lot of opportunities either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    production as the third down back. Joe Mcknight looks like he capable of filling that job but he only has 16 career receptions in two years. How is his pass blocking(your the third down back) that one of important requirements for that job. They can't put you out there you can't protect the Qb.

This is a big year for Joe Mcknight as he has to become the change of pace back and the receiving threat L Tomlinson was .
    When it comes to catching the football I figure he'd be OK. But if the Jets CS wants to use him carrying the football between the tackles, he'll be done in short order.

He's already shown that he's brittle. He also lacks a work ethic and has shown that he's in it only to get paid.

IMO, he's JAG. We could easily sign someone else who would be very happy to be in NY and work his a$$ off. Westoff, being the genius that he is, would make the guy into a star.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two words- Terence Ganaway.