Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do Jet fans see Joe Mcknight replacing L tomlinson

How do Jet fans see Joe Mcknight replacing L tomlinson

production as the third down back. Joe Mcknight looks like he capable of filling that job but he only has 16 career receptions in two years. How is his pass blocking(your the third down back) that one of important requirements for that job. They can't put you out there you can't protect the Qb.

This is a big year for Joe Mcknight as he has to become the change of pace back and the receiving threat L Tomlinson was .

All Pro
    I would love for either McKnight or Tebow to learn how to pass block on third down, as of now Mcknight has not shown much in pass blocking, he hasn't had a lot of opportunities either.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    production as the third down back. Joe Mcknight looks like he capable of filling that job but he only has 16 career receptions in two years. How is his pass blocking(your the third down back) that one of important requirements for that job. They can't put you out there you can't protect the Qb.

This is a big year for Joe Mcknight as he has to become the change of pace back and the receiving threat L Tomlinson was .
    I don't.

It will be one of the more interesting things to watch in the preseason. I think you have to expect a dropoff in performance from LT, but you can always hope that McKnight surprises.

One area I think McKnight might be overrated (if that's possible) is in his perceived speed/big-play ability. I know he can run a kick or two back with some good blocking, but in the limited time we've seen him in the base offense, I personally haven't been impressed. Can't remember him blowing past anyone or breaking any ankles in a memorable way.

It's not like LT was doing that with regularity in his Jets career either, but at least with LT you knew you had a good blocker with superior field awareness and great hands. Not sure if we'll get that with McKnight or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I don't.
    If you don't see Joe Mcknight being able to fill that role. Than which Rb on the Jets roster you expect to fill that role.

Joe Mcknight seems like he should be able to do it and I guess will be giving every chance to prove he can do it. The Jets need Joe Mcknight to be a big part of the Jet offense this year. He can't come in not ready to go from the first day. There is No LT to fall back on.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-17-2012 at 12:18 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    It will be one of the more interesting things to watch in the preseason. I think you have to expect a dropoff in performance from LT, but you can always hope that McKnight surprises.

One area I think McKnight might be overrated (if that's possible) is in his perceived speed/big-play ability. I know he can run a kick or two back with some good blocking, but in the limited time we've seen him in the base offense, I personally haven't been impressed. Can't remember him blowing past anyone or breaking any ankles in a memorable way.

It's not like LT was doing that with regularity in his Jets career either, but at least with LT you knew you had a good blocker with superior field awareness and great hands. Not sure if we'll get that with McKnight or not.

Unfortunately during preseason defenses will be playing very vanilla they will not be throwing out exotic blitzes that you will see during the regular season. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a veteran back who can be a fall back option and a mentor to McKnight.

All Pro
    I don't know if McKnight will ever be as good on 3rd down as Tomlinson was here.

But I think McKnight will be a big contributor this season. I won't be surprised to see him pick up close to 1000 yards rushing/receiving combined.

Greene is sure to be nicked up at least a couple times and Joe is probably the 1st guy off the bench.

I can't wait to see how the RB situation works this year. I have a good feeling about this crew.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If for some reason Mcknight and Greene don't cut the mustard this season, I'd love the Jets to make Reggie Bush their priority in the off season.

Bringing Bush's speed and versatility to an offense that just added speed in the draft will be huge for us. I'd rather pay Bush then Greene and grab a bruiser somewhere in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Joe will get 1st crack at the 3rd down job. Can he handle it? We will see.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If for some reason Mcknight and Greene don't cut the mustard this season, I'd love the Jets to make Reggie Bush their priority in the off season.

Bringing Bush's speed and versatility to an offense that just added speed in the draft will be huge for us. I'd rather pay Bush then Greene and grab a bruiser somewhere in the draft.
    I'd be all for getting Reggie Bush.

They took Ganaway this year. I'm excited to see if he can play. He's certainly the prototype bruiser and has some breakaway speed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Unfortunately during preseason defenses will be playing very vanilla they will not be throwing out exotic blitzes that you will see during the regular season. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a veteran back who can be a fall back option and a mentor to McKnight.
    Running backs going into their 3rd year as a pro who still need a veteran to mentor them are essentially a bust as a running back. Decent special team player, has not shown much of anything as a RB and this is pretty much a last chance to do that quite frankly.

Jets Insider VIP
    by the end of this season, Joe McKnight will be seen by all Jet fans as a HUGE improvement in every area over Lawashedupiion Tomlinson

All Pro
    I honestly think it's one of the biggest areas of concern on the team, and definitley the biggest that nobody is talking about. I think McKnight will be a solid pass catcher, but we don't have a single RB on the roster who's even a decent blocker. It's a concern.

All Pro
    Conner on 3rd downs?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Conner on 3rd downs?

Only if it's a two-back set flanking Sanchez in the gun. You want the RB back there to at least pose some sort of threat to release and beat you in the flat, and Conner doesn't bring that to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I honestly think it's one of the biggest areas of concern on the team, and definitley the biggest that nobody is talking about. I think McKnight will be a solid pass catcher, but we don't have a single RB on the roster who's even a decent blocker. It's a concern.
    You're right, a lot of people aren't recognizing this. Short of a big leap from McKnight or a surprise out of the gate from Ganaway, I think Jets fans are in for a disappointment from the backfield this year. Greene will get yards, but has not shown himself to be a guy you have to stack the box to stop.

If the RBs aren't effective, it will take away from what we think will be a strength of the Sanchez/Sparano offense - play action.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    by the end of this season, Joe McKnight will be seen by all Jet fans as a HUGE improvement in every area over Lawashedupiion Tomlinson
    Your homerism knows no bounds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Your homerism knows no bounds.
    Im a Jet fan...

Sue me

Better any day than you for example wallowing in misery 24/7

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Im a Jet fan...

Sue me

Better any day than you for example wallowing in misery 24/7

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    It's not wallowing in misery. It's being realistic. In your world the Jets can never do wrong, every move will always work out for the best and every player on our team will be lights out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Running backs going into their 3rd year as a pro who still need a veteran to mentor them are essentially a bust as a running back. Decent special team player, has not shown much of anything as a RB and this is pretty much a last chance to do that quite frankly.

I agree with what you say. To be honest I am not as high on McKnight as some. I think he is a good runner but I have a lot of doubt about him blocking especially on 3rd down blitzing situations.

I'm excited...

LT last year was poorly utilized, as was our offense most of the time... I imagine with the advent of a swing lineman (not named Mulligan) in on most late downs and a more concentrated approach on running the ball that he'll be able to break a few and thus skew what otherwise may be YPC in the lower 4's...

His hands are fine though and I'm certainly not worried about him being able to catch a few balls out of the backfield, I just don't see us utilizing it all that often, tbqh...

There's no guarantee Sparano cures all ills but there's certainly a high percentage chance that it isn't as bad as what we're used to seeing... I don't think the burden is on McKnight to replace Tomlinson so much as the burden is on Greene to yield high yardage totals on 1st/2nd down...

The rest should then fall into place...