Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets touched base with Cedric Benson

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No, but I have the part where I laugh at him as in the last 2 years he has averaged 3.5 and 3.9 yards a carry.

The guy is awful. There is a reason he is without a job.
    Were you laughing at Martin when he had 3.5 and 4 ypc in 98 and 99??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aka, if Ganaway and Powell suck this Preseason, and you're still available, we'll be in touch. I don't think Ganaway will suck up the joint, so this will be moot. He would fit well in Oakland and that's where he SHOULD go, if they want him. Perfect situation. They have two scat backs. They need a bruiser.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can he pass block on 3rd down?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best interviews I have heard in a long time! This guy has been humbled and has taken ownership of his younger years of issues off the field. For a ground and pound team like we plan to be could be an interesting signing if it happens. They also mentioned Seattle as a possible destination since Marshawn will prob. be suspended for 4 weeks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have to play the guys we drafted. Let greene and mcknight get the 1st shot. If either guy fails, give powell then ganaway a shot.

We are not wasting roster spots on washed up running backs who have been arrested multiple times(the last arrest coming in july of 2011).

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Aka, if Ganaway and Powell suck this Preseason, and you're still available, we'll be in touch. I don't think Ganaway will suck up the joint, so this will be moot. He would fit well in Oakland and that's where he SHOULD go, if they want him. Perfect situation. They have two scat backs. They need a bruiser.
    Sounds good; this kid Ganaway sounds like the Magic Bullet, tho

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would also pass. Thomas Jones never thought much of him in Chicago, thought he lacked a work ethic.

Boatloads of talent, but lazy.... JMO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Raiders have their three rbs D MCfadden 6'2 210 , Mike Goodson 6'0 212 and taiwan Jones 6'0 195 . All are capable of taking any pass or run to the house from anywhere.

What they don't have is a short yardage back. A thumper. Cedric Benson 5'11 229 would be that guy. The thing is they aren't going to pay anything but the veteran minimum.(which for Benson would be 800,000) He doesn't want to play for that amount. IF Cedric Benson doesn't take the minimum . Marcel reece 6'2 250 would become the short yardage back and Owen Schmitt 6'2 245 would be the Fb in the short yardage situation. IF Benson signed, schmitt roster spot might be the one effected.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan Grant

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Much better than Greene???

LOL they are the same exact player, except that Greene isn't a total jackass.

This blurb clearly shows the Jets don't have any real interest in Benson, which is wise of them.
    Benson and Greene are pretty much the same thing at this point. I guess if he's willing to come here at around the league minimum he's ok depth. What the Jets really need is a 3rd down back who can pass block and catch out of the backfield.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why no one(except Gunner) seems to care if a guy can pick up a blitz. I'm sure we'll try to teach all the young guys we have. If no one can do it we will be picking up one of these veterans. Savage is right though. 3.9 yards was like a career year for Curtis.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-18-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Do you have the part where he laughs at Bart Scott as he gains 167 yards in a playoff game?
    Does anyone even remember he ran for 167 yards in the game without looking at the box score. Definitely not a dominant 167 yards, really had little to no impact on the game as the Jets completely dominated after the Bengals went up 7-0 on the coles score.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Cedric Benson-

We have reviewed your work and do not feel you are a fit for the Jets.

There. Done.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Does anyone even remember he ran for 167 yards in the game without looking at the box score. Definitely not a dominant 167 yards, really had little to no impact on the game as the Jets completely dominated after the Bengals went up 7-0 on the coles score.
    Actually, what I remember is Rex blowing a gasket about Benson's getting so many yards; it didn't seem like he was running wild, but he was definitely extending plays and getting to the second level.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Cedric Benson....would he make sense?

Still unsigned. Would he be worth a look? Has been pretty productive, and only 29.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Still unsigned. Would he be worth a look? Has been pretty productive, and only 29.
    +1

It may depend on (a) what the organization really feels about the potential of Bilal Powell, and (b) Just how fragile is Shonn Greene likely to be moving forward.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we should touch base with him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Him or Ryan Grant.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna be 30, injuries etc., how much? No thanks. We have to keep getting younger.