Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you Trade Revis For....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

He offered me this trade scenarion....would you take it?

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.
    I would definitely pull the trigger. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post

Outside of QB teams can't devote infinite resources ($$$) to one player at the detriment to the rest of the team. Better to have a bunch of well paid above average players among the 53 than 1 (non QB) elite budget busting player surrounded by average players due to cap constraints.
    This is exactly what the Revis hoarders don't understand. CB is a non-essential position. Revis does make it more critical by being able to lock down half of the field, but really how many more years can we expect this for. 3 maybe? Then he starts getting over the top safety help against fast receivers, and then we're paying an obscene amount of our finite resources for a "very good" cover corner?

To some, that's ok, because they just want to see a Jet in the Hall of Fame. Or they want to keep a guy as a "Jet" who has made it clear multiple times already that he has no organizational loyalty.

Fact is, Revis is likely going to walk in 2 years, and all we'll be getting is some end of 3rd round conditional pick. Or, we drastically overpay him, and continue to have to backload all other contracts just to be able to make new acquisitions.

Either way, it's an undesirable scenario. Revis is not going to be able to shut down everyone his entire career. In fact, the end is a lot sooner than we as Jets fans like to think. Overpaying him is like overpaying a RB...once the athleticism is gone, his value proposition is gone as well.

Rex' defense will be good no matter what...the relative value of Revis to this team is not as high as it would be to a lesser defense.

Let's hope the other organization we engage in these trade talks is as myopic as many of the Revis supporters here. I'd rather the Jets put themselves in a position to be competitive for the next 7 years with a strong haul of picks/players than the assurance of fielding a good defensive secondary for the next 2 (Revis walks) to 4 (Revis stays and his athleticism inevitably declines).

I honestly do not feel Revis is holding out. He will play this season and the Jets will give him a new contract prior to next season.

Practice Squad
    A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.
    I'd expand trade. Revis and Sanchez to Lions for Stafford and 2 #1 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever. He's actually changed the culture of the CB position. #1 CB's will be forced to attempt what Revis has done over the years. He's set the bar moving forward as Deion did for Champ Bailey and Champ Bailey has done for Revis. Not even Deion Sanders would man up, each and every play, one vs one on an island; against opposing #1 WR's. Sanders, if you remember back to the early/mid 90's... Was used a completely different way. His head coaches/defensive coordinators would stick Sanders against opposing #2 WR's (more time than not), eliminating that side of the field, while rolling coverage over in regards to opposing #1 WR's. It worked great, but not even Sanders has done what Revis is currently doing.

Revis eliminates one side of an entire football field.

Revis completely shuts down opposing #1 WR's.

Revis completely eliminates the number one option of All-Time great Quarterbacks. Think Peyton Manning/Reggie Wayne. Manning was a shell of what he once was (usually is) during 2010's postseason game, all because Revis eliminated/shut down his #1 option/favorite offensive target. The Colts could only mange 16 offensive points (inside the dome) while Manning could only manage 1 TD. Reggie Wayne, due to an amazing Revis, was held to only 1 reception for 1 yard. That hurt Manning and the Colts offense more than words could describe. Outside of a 57 yard strike, Manning was held to only 168 yards and pretty much taken out of the ball game by Revis himself.

I just found it funny, while reading through this thread, where a Jets poster attempted to "make it known" that Revis doesn't impact the game (on a play by play basis) as much as an outside pass rusher (OLB) or beast of a DE etc, etc... In all actuality? Revis impacts the game more than any OLB and/or DE in today's NFL. Each and every play, Revis is completely eliminating opposing #1 WR's, he shuts down an entire field due to his ability to eliminate offenses #1 pass option and last but not least? Forces QB's to look else-where, during each and every play. No defensive pass rusher impacts the game as much as Revis.

The NFL has became a pass happy league over the years. There has never been an era of football where the importance of a vertical attack was as strong as it is today. Never. There has never been a better time for a franchise to feature the greatest CB of all-time; until now. We just struck gold with Revis during the 2007 NFL draft. He's established himself as not only one of the greatest CB's of All-Time, but also as the greatest overall defensive football player in today's NFL, and he's only 27 years of age. Scary thought.

I was only being sarcastic. I wouldn't trade Revis for 3 first rounders. Not in a million years. Chances are, 1 of those 1st rounders bust. The other first rounder is decent, and the other first rounder (if you're extremely lucky) becomes a very good football player, but far from a potential/future All-Time HOF great. The only way I'm trading Darrelle Revis? Is if we're guaranteed two HOF players during their prime years.
    First off, Id like to say that I personally think revis is one of the best tackling CBs I've ever seen.

However...you say he takes away 1 side of the field on every play. How does he do that on running plays away from him? Because those probably account for 20-25% of an opposing teams offensive plays.

Now while i agree he takes away a teams best WR....what if that player runs right down the field, doenst that also effectively take away our "best defensive player".

Id also like to counter the "pass happy" league argument. In a standard 2 rb, 2 WR, 1 TE set that was run prior to the pass happy times, you could argue revis was more valuable as he removed 1/2 or 1/3 of a teams main pass catchers. Now with teams running 4-5 WR sets, he can only take away 1/4 or 1/5 of their pass catchers. That is math, not an opinion; a team can easily send one WR down the field (even if its their top guy), take revis out of the play and still have 4 options.

Again...in no way am i arguing that he isn't supremely talented or a HOF. But his ability to impact a game, does not coincide with what he wants to get paid.

Have you ever coached or lead a team where you had one of the best people/players in the entire world?

If you have, then you know that those people have a huge impact on both your short and long term strategy. Hell, your strategy is based on their strengths because they're just that good.

You don't willingly give those people up. Not if you want to be the best at what you do, anyway.

That does not mean that keeping the player is always the right decision.

The last part is what concerns me about Rex actually. I guess we'll see where his priorities are at as we get closer to the season opener.

3 first round picks would be more like it. He's in the perfect system to utilise his talents right here with the Jets. Plus, the picks could turn out to be busts.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets4life View Post
    Have you ever coached or lead a team where you had one of the best people/players in the entire world?

If you have, then you know that those people have a huge impact on both your short and long term strategy. Hell, your strategy is based on their strengths because they're just that good.

You don't willingly give those people up. Not if you want to be the best at what you do, anyway.

That does not mean that keeping the player is always the right decision.

The last part is what concerns me about Rex actually. I guess we'll see where his priorities are at as we get closer to the season opener.
    No offense intended but have you?

Since you posed this question and then went on to offer advice based on the assumption that the rest of us have not coached (or led) a team with such a player, it sounds as if you are speaking to us from a position where you do have such experience.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    And those organizations are willing to play hardball when their star players start asking for money that does not permit the franchise to stay on a sustainable financial footing. The Jets have shown no such willingness to make the hard decisions with their own players.
    Really? I don't think so. A best at position player, entering his prime, who can't be replaced, who had his team play hardball. And just to make it more Obama like, to permit the franchise to stay on a sustainable financial footing.

Why not just say would you trade Revis for Luck? Hell yeah I'd do that in a heart beat. Read the other 1milion posts on people thinking Revis even can hold out this year. Bottom line the only thing less likely then that is someone offering 3 1st and change for a 100mil CB. The #s dont add up he'd be giving up too much and be giving the JETS all the leverage in dealings. Franchise? If he holds out he gives up his opt out clause and is still under contract. Who needs to Franchise him?

Would you Trade Revis For.....
    YES ! or YESterday.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    No offense intended but have you?

Since you posed this question and then went on to offer advice based on the assumption that the rest of us have not coached (or led) a team with such a player, it sounds as if you are speaking to us from a position where you do have such experience.
    I'm sorry if the post was misleading. I do lead a team, but not a sports team. I believe that there are enough parallels that the comparisons are legitimate.

I lead a team that is consistently among the highest rated it it's field, and part of the reason is because I have a few people that are incredible at what they do.

What they do does not show up on any kind of stat sheet, but if you understand the goals and know what it takes to accomplish them, then you know that these 2 people are in a class of their own.

I've had the opportunity to work with a number of different teams, all with the same goals. They do some things well and get the job done, but with nowhere near the amount of efficiency that mine does. Having the right talent (in this case some of the best), setting them up for success, then putting them in a position to have a huge impact is how it's done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    YES ! or YESterday.
    ray, did you post this after your first gallon of beer or your second or third gallon?

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever. He's actually changed the culture of the CB position. #1 CB's will be forced to attempt what Revis has done over the years. He's set the bar moving forward as Deion did for Champ Bailey and Champ Bailey has done for Revis. Not even Deion Sanders would man up, each and every play, one vs one on an island; against opposing #1 WR's. Sanders, if you remember back to the early/mid 90's... Was used a completely different way. His head coaches/defensive coordinators would stick Sanders against opposing #2 WR's (more time than not), eliminating that side of the field, while rolling coverage over in regards to opposing #1 WR's. It worked great, but not even Sanders has done what Revis is currently doing.

Revis eliminates one side of an entire football field.

Revis completely shuts down opposing #1 WR's.

Revis completely eliminates the number one option of All-Time great Quarterbacks. Think Peyton Manning/Reggie Wayne. Manning was a shell of what he once was (usually is) during 2010's postseason game, all because Revis eliminated/shut down his #1 option/favorite offensive target. The Colts could only mange 16 offensive points (inside the dome) while Manning could only manage 1 TD. Reggie Wayne, due to an amazing Revis, was held to only 1 reception for 1 yard. That hurt Manning and the Colts offense more than words could describe. Outside of a 57 yard strike, Manning was held to only 168 yards and pretty much taken out of the ball game by Revis himself.

I just found it funny, while reading through this thread, where a Jets poster attempted to "make it known" that Revis doesn't impact the game (on a play by play basis) as much as an outside pass rusher (OLB) or beast of a DE etc, etc... In all actuality? Revis impacts the game more than any OLB and/or DE in today's NFL. Each and every play, Revis is completely eliminating opposing #1 WR's, he shuts down an entire field due to his ability to eliminate offenses #1 pass option and last but not least? Forces QB's to look else-where, during each and every play. No defensive pass rusher impacts the game as much as Revis.

The NFL has became a pass happy league over the years. There has never been an era of football where the importance of a vertical attack was as strong as it is today. Never. There has never been a better time for a franchise to feature the greatest CB of all-time; until now. We just struck gold with Revis during the 2007 NFL draft. He's established himself as not only one of the greatest CB's of All-Time, but also as the greatest overall defensive football player in today's NFL, and he's only 27 years of age. Scary thought.

I was only being sarcastic. I wouldn't trade Revis for 3 first rounders. Not in a million years. Chances are, 1 of those 1st rounders bust. The other first rounder is decent, and the other first rounder (if you're extremely lucky) becomes a very good football player, but far from a potential/future All-Time HOF great. The only way I'm trading Darrelle Revis? Is if we're guaranteed two HOF players during their prime years.
    At the risk of getting banned, your nuts. How does one guy no matter how good, shut down one side of the field where there are 4 or 5 receivers running routes. They said that Sanders shut down one side when most of the nfl was running 2 WRs on 1st and 2nd, The TE was 90% a blocker and a 3rd reciever came in on 3rd down a little more than 1/2 the time. Now, team routinely line up 3 wide and the TE is much more of a rec threat than before.

When the pats go 5 wide, Revis takes 2 of them? How did the jets ever lose
    when the other ten players only had to play 1/2 the field?

Revis is the best cb in the game and has shown that he can stifle the opposing #1 wr 90% of the time.

No jet fan wants to trade revis and he will not and could not be traded this year. Next year he can be traded but will it happen? The debate will then be around.

1. Do you want to keep Revis for one more year at way less than value to make another run and get the 97th pick in the 2015 draft.

2. Do you want to pay Revis 6 years and 18 mill with 1/2 guaranteed. (and please he will not take a contract with the last 2 years at 20 mill per season.)

3. Do you want to Trade Revis for a young player at a position of need, and the value of a a mid 1st rd pick and the 10 mill of cap space that Revis will not be eating up inthe first year of the contract. With that 10 mill you can get a Brandon Carr/Joseph type corner for 8 mill and get a 2 mill a year vet to fill a hole a be a back up.
    Last edited by patman; 07-20-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    I'd expand trade. Revis and Sanchez to Lions for Stafford and 2 #1 picks.
    IDK, are you kidding? The lions would not trade Stafford for Revis.

Veteran
    The Lions finally have their act together. There is no way they make that trade. It would be way too good to pass up

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    ray, did you post this after your first gallon of beer or your second or third gallon?
    not sure who or what you mean here. No. I don`t drink alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    not sure who or what you mean here. No. I don`t drink alcohol.
    Then you need to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    This is exactly what the Revis hoarders don't understand. CB is a non-essential position. Revis does make it more critical by being able to lock down half of the field, but really how many more years can we expect this for. 3 maybe? Then he starts getting over the top safety help against fast receivers, and then we're paying an obscene amount of our finite resources for a "very good" cover corner?

To some, that's ok, because they just want to see a Jet in the Hall of Fame. Or they want to keep a guy as a "Jet" who has made it clear multiple times already that he has no organizational loyalty.

Fact is, Revis is likely going to walk in 2 years, and all we'll be getting is some end of 3rd round conditional pick. Or, we drastically overpay him, and continue to have to backload all other contracts just to be able to make new acquisitions.

Either way, it's an undesirable scenario. Revis is not going to be able to shut down everyone his entire career. In fact, the end is a lot sooner than we as Jets fans like to think. Overpaying him is like overpaying a RB...once the athleticism is gone, his value proposition is gone as well.

Rex' defense will be good no matter what...the relative value of Revis to this team is not as high as it would be to a lesser defense.

Let's hope the other organization we engage in these trade talks is as myopic as many of the Revis supporters here. I'd rather the Jets put themselves in a position to be competitive for the next 7 years with a strong haul of picks/players than the assurance of fielding a good defensive secondary for the next 2 (Revis walks) to 4 (Revis stays and his athleticism inevitably declines).
    Right on the money Astoria, I'm not surprised......

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    At the risk of getting banned, your nuts. How does one guy no matter how good, shut down one side of the field where there are 4 or 5 receivers running routes. They said that Sanders shut down one side when most of the nfl was running 2 WRs on 1st and 2nd, The TE was 90% a blocker and a 3rd reciever came in on 3rd down a little more than 1/2 the time. Now, team routinely line up 3 wide and the TE is much more of a rec threat than before.

When the pats go 5 wide, Revis takes 2 of them? How did the jets ever lose
    when the other ten players only had to play 1/2 the field?

Revis is the best cb in the game and has shown that he can stifle the opposing #1 wr 90% of the time.

No jet fan wants to trade revis and he will not and could not be traded this year. Next year he can be traded but will it happen? The debate will then be around.

1. Do you want to keep Revis for one more year at way less than value to make another run and get the 97th pick in the 2015 draft.

2. Do you want to pay Revis 6 years and 18 mill with 1/2 guaranteed. (and please he will not take a contract with the last 2 years at 20 mill per season.)

3. Do you want to Trade Revis for a young player at a position of need, and the value of a a mid 1st rd pick and the 10 mill of cap space that Revis will not be eating up inthe first year of the contract. With that 10 mill you can get a Brandon Carr/Joseph type corner for 8 mill and get a 2 mill a year vet to fill a hole a be a back up.
    Nice post. Every point spot on.
    I'll take option 3, please.