Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you Trade Revis For....

Would you Trade Revis For....

A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

He offered me this trade scenarion....would you take it?

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Yes, Revis is good and he compensates for some of the teams shortcomings, but that is to good to pass up. Sorry my brother but you ass in Detroit now.

Hall Of Fame
    You are going to get flamed but I will play along.

Yes I would. But the Lions would not do that. That would essentially be 3 #1s they would be giving up for him. Also, they are going to have to pay some of their own guys soon. Stafford and Suh are going to command big contracts.

The most I think Revis would get us is 2 #1s b.c whoever trades for him knows he is going to demand a huge salary and that he is a threat to holdout.

I hope he plays well this year and the Jets can get him extended at a reasonable price. Another thing to consider is any team that trades for him is likely going to a contender and if they play well with him the #1 picks we get may end up being at the end of the round. So the likelihood we get anything close to equal value if very remote.

But if they think they can't extend him, then I hope they get the best deal possible for him and use those picks to either move up for a real blue-chip player or just get a bunch of quality first-round players.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Banned
    Only way I'm willing to see Revis traded is if it's for 3 first round draft picks. Even then, those picks aren't guaranteed to become successful players. Long story short, I hope to see Revis retire a Jet. He's not only the greatest Jet of all-time, but he's also the greatest defensive football player in today's NFL. What makes this scary, is that he's only 27 years of age. Hopefully we never trade Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Only way I'm willing to see Revis traded is if it's for 3 first round draft picks. Even then, those picks aren't guaranteed to become successful players. Long story short, I hope to see Revis retire a Jet. He's not only the greatest Jet of all-time, but he's also the greatest defensive football player in today's NFL. What makes this scary, is that he's only 27 years of age. Hopefully we never trade Revis.

That would be close to my personal price, but has any player commanded 3 1st-rounders in the history of the NFL? This is a silly but interesting discussion.

Nevermind that clearly happened in the Herschel Walker trade... but could that ever happen today?

Yeah, I would be on board for this. Revis is definitely in a class of his own, but that haul is too good to pass up.

Revis is worth a either 2 #1picks and a couple other draft picks or a #1, NFL player, and extra picks.

Ive read a lot of people say that 2 #1s is ridiculous, but look at what the Rams got from the Redskins for a QB that has never played a down in the NFL. Any team that has cap room and a need at CB would consider taking him on. Plus he could agree to a long term deal beforehand.

This deal also makes a lot more sense to us now then it did 3 years ago now that there is a rookie salary cap.

I can't think of a trade in recent memory where a player of Revis talent and age was moved...so to say 2 #1picks is too much is crazy.

As for this thread.....detroit is not a bad match, but the play there would be cliff avril as they can't afford to sign him to a long term deal. We don't need another DE on paper, but he could help out if we can play wilkerson or coples at DT.

Dallas could have been another potential destination.....anthony spencer and one of their WRs will probably be available, maybe even Dez if he keeps up his act out there, but they have carr and clairborne now.

EIther way, if he holds out for a 3rd time.....the 2nd time being under contract, I'm ready to move him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

The only thing I would ever trade Revis for is a guaranteed SuperBowl win for the Jets. Preferably with Darrelle still on the team.

Some of you people are crazy to even suggest trading him. Everybody is showing up in Cortland next week and it's back to the business of winning. We need him to accomplish the end game and get the Jets a ring.
    Last edited by Limolady; 07-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

LOL hell no. We're going to start looking ahead to 2018 when those players we draft are coming into their prime? Half of them will bust anyways, at least.

This would be a great way to hedge our bets. We improve the OL pretty well. Then if Sanchez doesn't play up to par, we have the ammo to move up and try to get a top level signal caller. If Sanchez improves like I think he can, we can reload the defense and plug a bunch of holes with top tier prospects.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Revis is worth a either 2 #1picks and a couple other draft picks or a #1, NFL player, and extra picks.

Ive read a lot of people say that 2 #1s is ridiculous, but look at what the Rams got from the Redskins for a QB that has never played a down in the NFL. Any team that has cap room and a need at CB would consider taking him on. Plus he could agree to a long term deal beforehand.

This deal also makes a lot more sense to us now then it did 3 years ago now that there is a rookie salary cap.

I can't think of a trade in recent memory where a player of Revis talent and age was moved...so to say 2 #1picks is too much is crazy.

As for this thread.....detroit is not a bad match, but the play there would be cliff avril as they can't afford to sign him to a long term deal. We don't need another DE on paper, but he could help out if we can play wilkerson or coples at DT.

Dallas could have been another potential destination.....anthony spencer and one of their WRs will probably be available, maybe even Dez if he keeps up his act out there, but they have carr and clairborne now.

EIther way, if he holds out for a 3rd time.....the 2nd time being under contract, I'm ready to move him.
    Dez Bryant? You think we should consider trading Revis for Dez Bryant???

Jets Insider VIP
    YOU DON'T TRADE THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL AND A SURE HOFer in his prime

UNLESS YOU ARE A MORON

period

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Dez Bryant? You think we should consider trading Revis for Dez Bryant???
    Slow down.....I mentioned bryant as a young, talented player who could be packaged in a deal for revis.

Are you saying that you would turn down morris clairborne, bryant and a #1 for revis?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    YOU DON'T TRADE THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL AND A SURE HOFer in his prime

UNLESS YOU ARE A MORON

period
    What is said player is not a QB, nor a pass rusher and he wants to be paid like a QB or pass rusher?

Revis is amazing, best defensive player in the NFL IMO, but there is more to it then that, as he isn't the "most valuable defensive player in the nfl". He can't affect a play on every down like a DE/OLB or QB. Yes he can take a WR out of a play but that is only 1 of 11. A pass rusher can impact the entire offense.

Also, look at the makeup of the team after you pay Revis $18-20 million a year.

There is more to it then just "he is the best"....the organization has 53 players to think about, they aren't fans.

Veteran
    Slow down.....I mentioned bryant as a young, talented player who could be packaged in a deal for revis.

Are you saying that you would turn down morris clairborne, bryant and a #1 for revis?
    yes. i would turn that down. claibourne is unproven, and bryant is a douche. revis is in a class of his own, and unless we're getting 3 #1's, no deals.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

UNLESS YOU ARE A MORON

period
    What if he wants 6 years and 100 mill with a 45 SB in 2013, do you keep him for one more year or get what you can. To me a trade partner could be KC as they have the cap room and lost Carr this year.

Justin Houston, Tony Moeki, and a first and 2nd.

Hall Of Fame
    Nobody is giving 3 #1s for a non-QB who they are then going to have to pay a ransom to keep.

Rookie
    We will NEVER get three 1's for Revis unless Dolan decides to buy an NFL franchise and we trade with him. Revis for all his greatness demands so much that eventually he does more harm than good because there is only so much money to go around. He would have been fantastic in the days before the salary cap but in todays NFL greedy players, best or not, HOF'ers or not will still hurt a teams financial ability to bring other players. He doesnt play 1 on 11 so as much as I love him ANYBODY can be had for the right price................

That being said he wont be holding out this year so this is a conversation for next year.

The time to trade Revis is now. Keep the roster stocked with young, cheap talent. It's how organizations maintain success. Hoarding Revis and hoping he doesn't walk in FA is a fool's game. Even if he returns, 15 mil for a CB is going to keep us shopping at the Free Agent Bargain Basement for years to come.

Two 1sts and a 2nd would do, maybe throw in a viable starter and change the 2nd to a later round pick.

What is said player is not a QB, nor a pass rusher and he wants to be paid like a QB or pass rusher?

Revis is amazing, best defensive player in the NFL IMO, but there is more to it then that, as he isn't the "most valuable defensive player in the nfl". He can't affect a play on every down like a DE/OLB or QB. Yes he can take a WR out of a play but that is only 1 of 11. A pass rusher can impact the entire offense.

Also, look at the makeup of the team after you pay Revis $18-20 million a year.

There is more to it then just "he is the best"....the organization has 53 players to think about, they aren't fans.
    Not sure I agree with you on this. Revis automatically takes out the opposing team's #1 receiver, regardless if you put him in motion. But there are certain ways to limit the impact of a pass rushing beast DE or OLB. You can put an extra tight end or running back on him. The great DE or LB can still beat double teams, but not close to as consistently as he can beat you 1 on 1. There is really nothing you can do against Revis to avoid having him take out your #1 receiver.